Would you sign Harry Kane if it meant we didn't sign anyone else?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Why do people keep talking about getting Haaland next summer? He had the opportunity to sign for us before going to Dortmund and he rejected us.

He will be off to Spain, 100%.

if we can get Kane this summer, then it’s a no brainer. He’s a world class striker that will score loads of goals and win us shit tons of games.
Wouldn't you be worried about the imbalance in the rest of the team though? Midfield/RW in particular.

This is working under the assumption that he would take up the majority of our transfer budget, of course.

Fanta Stick

I think Kane is destined for City but in answer to the question I would say no.

Bissouma + Varane would be a very sucessful transfer window.

I would rather Amad is given a run at right wing rather than splurging out on Sancho.

Smores

I think i would. We've had plenty of titles won with lesser teams but a few stand out players and this team isn't even that bad. Kane would drag us towards challenging for a good few years.

People get too fixated with building teams which they think will last several years together. You need a mix of ages to compete season after season.

Doracle

Absolute no brainer if that was our choice. Get him in now and then sort out other positions next summer. No matter which other players we sign to fill other positions, if he goes to City we have no chance of winning the league.

Andersons Dietician

Nope, rather get Sancho in, a midfielder and a CB then enter the race for Haaland next year for 65mil. I would imagine having someone like Sancho in, Ole as manager would improve our chances.

The idea is to build a team and buying Kane doesn’t bring us a title next season in my opinion or the season after. But get the 3 positions we need then get Haaland and maybe we are in business.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Wouldn't you be worried about the imbalance in the rest of the team though? Midfield/RW in particular.

This is working under the assumption that he would take up the majority of our transfer budget, of course.
I would be, concerned but I’m more concerned that we’ll go down the cheap route and bring players in that are no better than what we have already.

If it means we get a world class striker or a world class midfielder, I’d rather that we spend our entire budget on that one player that massively improves our first 11 than 3-4 average players that fill out the squad.

If we could get, say, Sancho and Rice for the same price as Kane, then I’d be over the moon. That’s a different matter. That would massively strengthen two positions in our team.

makcikkaulawa

I would love Kane to be spearheading our attack but that means Martial needs to go. Cavani just signed a new contract, both Rashford and Greenwood is going to be even better under Kane tutelage. So it got be Martial that needs to leave.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I would be, concerned but I’m more concerned that we’ll go down the cheap route and bring players in that are no better than what we have already.

If it means we get a world class striker or a world class midfielder, I’d rather that we spend our entire budget on that one player that massively improves our first 11 than 3-4 average players that fill out the squad.

If we could get, say, Sancho and Rice for the same price as Kane, then I’d be over the moon. That’s a different matter. That would massively strengthen two positions in our team.
That would be really great business if we could get those two in. I'd be confident of a title challenge. Still think City would be favourites, but that would be two huge gaps in our team filled.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There's no need for us to even enter the bidding war for Kane. We all know it's going to be a mess, and it's not a priority position like DMF and RWF - and it really needs to be said - we're one injury from not having a senior right back.

We need at least 3 first team players in this summer to compete on all fronts next year, and a striker isn't one of those positions.

KennyBurner

We don’t need Kane as much as you guys think. The team needs a first team Dm more than anything. We don’t struggle to score at the moment. We also need a RW so I don’t ever have to see James again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t even mind lindelof as long as we break up mctominay and Fred. Mostly mctominay.
I don’t like the individual defender and his guardians in front of him. But the fact we have to have them in front of the defence speaks volumes. If I had my way I’d replace 2 of the 3 and the other midfielder would become a squad player

Polar

Yes, sort of. Given the superior competition and managers in the league, we are not challenging for the title under the current manager. He could have Barcelona 2008 and not win the league against City. That means we would have Kane and a new budget entering the next season, hopefully under and new and better manager. That’s when the fun potentially starts.
Eh…. What are you talking about? Airborne into football from drama school:lol:

Funny when clueless and “know it all” go hand in hand.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Kane, Sancho, Rice.

Buy all three. Use the summer to shut up all the Glazer out peeps (I am one of them). Like a divorced parent trying to desperately outspend the other in a reckless bid for acceptance.

In all seriousness, if we can only have one, it’s Kane. But I’d rather have the other two if possible.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don’t even mind lindelof as long as we break up mctominay and Fred. Mostly mctominay.
I'm with you here, only I would break up Fred. I think McTominay is a good squad player and can be useful for us but he's just not a starter. Fred on the other hand I do not rate at all. Personally, I would get rid of him.

K Stand Knut

Exactly. How many title winning teams or CL winning teams have had a Harry Kane type striker in recent years? Bayern with Lewandowski only team that comes to mind.

This year’s CL finalist have both got there without relying on a number 9.

We talk about United making signings that fit the jigsaw, for the present and future. Looking at our squad, is it built for a Harry Kane, or is the way forward more a fluid front three? Considering we have Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Amad, etc?

Completely different to when we signed RVP, at that time we had no creativity or flair and not much goal threat so player like RVP would improve not hinder those around him.
I’m not even sure it’s about him fitting in to our squad but the fact that we have other gaping holes that need filling as a priority!

Sancho as a RW, for example, probably generates more goals.

A DM to replace the pairing of Fred and McTominay probably helps to a) prevent goals being conceded and b) score more goals by virtue of being better in that position.

Etc., etc., etc.

KennyBurner

I'm with you here, only I would break up Fred. I think McTominay is a good squad player and can be useful for us but he's just not a starter. Fred on the other hand I do not rate at all. Personally, I would get rid of him.
They are both not up to requirement but Freds impact when good is so far ahead of mctominay when good. Fred can actually set tempo and move the ball well while mctominay is just an extra body with great shooting technique. My problem with Fred is his strength on the ball and inconsistent first touch while mctominay is not even quality enough to be starting. I dont think any of them should be sold but no way do they start together next year. That experiment is dead!

Andersons Dietician

I don’t like the individual defender and his guardians in front of him. But the fact we have to have them in front of the defence speaks volumes. If I had my way I’d replace 2 of the 3 and the other midfielder would become a squad player
I view this slightly different as we have those two there more to protect us because Bruno doesn’t play in midfield, Pogba goes where he wants, Rashford doesn’t track back and with Bissaka and Shaw pushing further and further up the 2 are needed to cover the space. It would be negligence to leave for a team that is crap in possesion to allow 2 defenders to go 1 on 1 all the time.

As a team we are rubbish in possesion and Pogba and Bruno are as much a part of that as McT and Fred are coupled with the fact they don’t make that many offers for the two deeper midfielders.

For me Fred is more involved in games and provides more uses consistently than what McT does which is sometimes provide height in the box.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I view this slightly different as we have those two there more to protect us because Bruno doesn’t play in midfield, Pogba goes where he wants, Rashford doesn’t track back and with Bissaka and Shaw pushing further and further up the 2 are needed to cover the space. It would be negligence to leave for a team that is crap in possesion to allow 2 defenders to go 1 on 1 all the time.

As a team we are rubbish in possesion and Pogba and Bruno are as much a part of that as McT and Fred are coupled with the fact they don’t make that many offers for the two deeper midfielders.

For me Fred is more involved in games and provides more uses consistently than what McT does which is sometimes provide height in the box.
McT provides more of a goal threat than Fred so it’s swings and roundabouts

we aren’t a possession based side. We don’t have those type of players. Matic is the only one of our midfielders who can play that role, and his legs are gone so he hangs out at left back when he plays.

a player like Carrick or a younger Matic would provide the balance we need in the middle of the pitch.

we have good players in midfield, but we don’t have the right partnerships.

Andersons Dietician

we aren’t a possession based side. We don’t have those type of players. Matic is the only one of our midfielders who can play that role, and his legs are gone so he hangs out at left back when he plays.

a player like Carrick or a younger Matic would provide the balance we need in the middle of the pitch.

we have good players in midfield, but we don’t have the right partnerships.
But is this player still in a double pivot or 433? Because I don’t see a player coming in who will magically improve us unless Bruno and Pogba improve. They simply don’t make enough offers for the ball, give it away or get caught on the ball leading to turnovers. Then when they get the ball they both have a tendency when in midfield to watch their pass instead of moving to give another option.

If we want to improve as a team we need to become better in possession as we’ve seen all season teams just allowing us to have the ball then they’ve picked us off. So are we really a counter attacking team? Against better quality sides yes for sure but for 90% of the season surely we are the ones that should be taking the game to others.

Anyway keeping within the thread subject I wouldn’t get Kane and think we’d be better placed getting quality in the other positions then fight it out for Haaland next year, then Bellingham the year after that.

DDG
Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
Neves
Bruno Donny
Greenwood Haaland Sancho

2 summers.​

Last edited:

Jaae

Not ITK
It is us or City. If Kane goes to City we have ZERO chance of winning the league next year.

World class CFs don’t come around often and we are one of only two viable options. Not only does it massively strengthen our hand, City will struggle without bringing in a CF this summer. They really aren’t that great (they were 8th at Christmas!) and have benefitted massively from weak competition both in England and Europe this season.

If we have any serious considerations for winning a league title any time soon we HAVE to sign Kane.

We can still get a CB and a cheap option at right back. If we can re-sign Pogba, and make do with Greenwood, James, Amad at RW this squad can compete with City.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All I can say is that Kane is not just a pure striker, he's a complete striker, he will provide both goals and creativity (Most goals and most assists this season). I also think he can play in a no 10 role if you watch the way how Jose used him this season, dropped so deep in midfield under Jose. I thought he was originally an attacking mid in his teen. So if we need to rest Bruno, we can still play Kane behind Cavani and also Cavani can't play week in week out so you expect your main no 9 to play regular.

Imagine:
Kane (Cavani)
Rashford (Pogba/Martial) Bruno (Kane) Greenwood (Rashford/Diallo)
Fred (McT) Pogba (McT/VDB/Matic)
Back Five
Honestly, that still excites me even with Lindelof in back four.

Gator Nate

No.

We scored 73 goals in the league this year, ranking 2nd. What more would Kane offer us, if nothing else changed?

We just convinced Cavani to stay another year, while we have a whole crop of forwards coming up and Martial still on the payroll.

We are much more in need of midfield creativity to add to Bruno. Bringing Kane in would do nothing for that.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No. This midfield doesn't stand a chance against better sides. We've been doing very well against low to mid table teams, and with Pogba being rejuvenated on the left wing/AM I can see it'll be even easier next season.

Our problem are games against big sides. Getting Kane is not the solution, as much as I rate him. We need to focus on midfield and maybe right Wing.

Yik

No.

We scored 73 goals in the league this year, ranking 2nd. What more would Kane offer us, if nothing else changed?

We just convinced Cavani to stay another year, while we have a whole crop of forwards coming up and Martial still on the payroll.

We are much more in need of midfield creativity to add to Bruno. Bringing Kane in would do nothing for that.
Kane plays deep very well, and has topped the assists league this year. It wasn't always his game to do this but he's been doing it very well this year. We'd be absolutely devastating with him feeding Rashford/Greenwood.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No.

7 of 0-0 draws in the league. Would he change those 0-0 draws to 1-0 or 2-1 wins?

SAFMUTD

I think Kane is destined for City but in answer to the question I would say no.

Bissouma + Varane would be a very sucessful transfer window.

I would rather Amad is given a run at right wing rather than splurging out on Sancho.
That would be a nightmare of a window, one CDM that wouldnt be an instant starter in a team that starts McTominay and Fred and a CB that's been on a clear steady decline for 2 years now. I would cry myself over to sleep if thats our window.

Fanta Stick

That would be a nightmare of a window, one CDM that wouldnt be an instant starter in a team that starts McTominay and Fred and a CB that's been on a clear steady decline for 2 years now. I would cry myself over to sleep if thats our window.
Is Varane really on the decline or is his form merely a by-product of being a part of a team in decline? I don't follow La Liga that closely so would welcome any feedback.

I have seen quite a bit of Bissouma and I think he can play that CDM role on his own and allow Pogba and McTominay freedom to maraud forward.

SAFMUTD

Is Varane really on the decline or is his form merely a by-product of being a part of a team in decline? I don't follow La Liga that closely so would welcome any feedback.

I have seen quite a bit of Bissouma and I think he can play that CDM role on his own and allow Pogba and McTominay freedom to maraud forward.
IMO he has been consistently poor for 2 years now, he still have the name weight to start in games but both Militao and Nacho had a better season than him. He is not the world class defender he used to be, weather it's a patch or his new level nobody can know for sure but I wouldn't bet my money on him miraculously recovering his best form out of the blue.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Kane is class and would score a bagful for us but we have to sort midfield!
I can't take another season of McFred.

r0663664

Worships Man City
It is us or City. If Kane goes to City we have ZERO chance of winning the league next year.

World class CFs don’t come around often and we are one of only two viable options. Not only does it massively strengthen our hand, City will struggle without bringing in a CF this summer. They really aren’t that great (they were 8th at Christmas!) and have benefitted massively from weak competition both in England and Europe this season.

If we have any serious considerations for winning a league title any time soon we HAVE to sign Kane.

We can still get a CB and a cheap option at right back. If we can re-sign Pogba, and make do with Greenwood, James, Amad at RW this squad can compete with City.
Do you mean signing Kane? We can improve and challenge City. I don't want us to sign Kane, he is 1-2 injuries away from being a liability. I don't want us to spending over $100 million for an injury prone strike. City can probably afford it but not Utd. I want to see Sancho, DM and CB. Kane's money can cover 2 of the positions that we are lacking. I think it will improve our chances of competing with City.

SAFMUTD

Close this thread there's no way he's signing for us. The reason he's leaving Spurs is because he wants major titles, that's not us at the moment.

Reality is he will inevitably end up at City, all we can hope for is that he turn out to be a total failure for them, get some Alexis/Hazard magic on him.