Would you take 4th place now?

Ekeke

Whaaat :houllier:

You rated our squad that high? Or you did believe in Ole that much?

I still remember most of the caf rated our squad from 5th - 8th (me 6th) at the start of the season. And most had some doubt in Ole, including me.
We spent that much. That should be the expectation

I didnt think it was spent well

Tibs

To be honest, we've been shit for a good chunk of the season so if we finish 4th it would be a miracle.

Dante

Average bang

We've been in the top 4 for a total of four rounds this season. It would be mental to take that for granted for the sake of third place.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Nice.

As for the OP, I really think we SHOULD get 3rd and expect it. But the real difference between 3rd and 4th is minimal. We still have the EL to complete.

Now, how many expected this question at the beginning of the season? Or how about in January?
Thank you!
It’s pretty amazing we’re going into last game as 3rd. If somebody told me that in january I would not believe it. The signing of Bruno was huge imo and changed the performance levels of this team when he came in. Everyone played better, not just Bruno.

I really think we deserve finish 3rd. And if we take the 3 last games aside, we’ve been pretty unstoppable since Jan.

It’s time to finish the job on sunday and I am sure the lads will do it. Last PL game of the season, just enjoy!

United58

Absolutely yes I'd take fourth now, but I'd love third for the psychological factor and bragging rights

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No brainer. 3rd is nothing glorious. CL football is CL football.

ghagua

Yes absolutely. I would hope to retain the 3rd position but would take 4th when you consider that 5th might be a big possibility.

Nickelodeon

Well this question has become a no-brainer. Let me pose another one since we have this thread.

What will you guys take out of the two scenarios?

Scenario 1: We finish 3rd and Chelsea finish 4th
Scenario 2: We finish 4th and Chelsea finish 5th

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Well this question has become a no-brainer. Let me pose another one since we have this thread.

Scenario 2, easily for me!

TheLord

....And 3rd would feel like an excellent season under the circumstances....
Objectively, there's nothing separating the three clubs after the two leading clubs, irrespective of the results of the season's last day. All three clubs have been unlucky with injuries at various stages - Leicester are probably the worst hit at the most crucial part of the season.

I wouldn't be bothered about finishing either third or fourth, as long as we secure the Champions League. There are no bragging rights for finishing third - the gap with the other two clubs, spread across the season, is close to nothing.

I would happily take fourth. And I would want the PL's "top four clubs" - United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea to be playing CL next season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't see the difference between 3rd and 4th.

Best of the rest doesn't mean that much when it comes down to the final day between you and two other teams. The difference is literally a silly error in one game or a dodgy VAR call, or just a bit of luck where a shot deflects in or someone gets injured at the wrong time. I'll just be happy to claw CL football out of the season one way or another given the difficulties up until Christmas. The Europa League is a bonus at the moment and hopefully it remains that way.

el3mel

Doesn't matter. What's the big deal about Chelsea finishing top 4 or not ? They already made 2 very good attacking signings and will probably go on and do some other good business as well, if you think qualifying to CL is going to hamper them.

Honestly the impact of European competition you're playing in on transfer market is kinda overrated. We also had several other good transfer windows while being out of Europe.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Whaaat :houllier:

You rated our squad that high? Or you did believe in Ole that much?

I still remember most of the caf rated our squad from 5th - 8th (me 6th) at the start of the season. And most had some doubt in Ole, including me.
I thought 3rd but it wasn't that I rated us that highly. It was more I didn't think anyone else was particularly good apart from maybe Leicester. I also think this is exactly what's happened except that Chelsea started well and Leicester were on fire for a couple of months.

If we had Bruno from the start we'd be comfortably 3rd. If we'd avoided injuries to Martial and Rashford we'd be comfortably 3rd. Even if it hadn't taken us a month to figure out how to score a penalty we'd be comfortably 3rd.

davidmichael

From where we were in early February I’d 100% take fourth especially with all four places guaranteed through to the group stage of the Champions League, what’s the difference between third and fourth in the league ? I’d imagine it’s not much whereas the difference between fourth and fifth is massive financially and for us signing players in the transfer window.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Is there anyone who wouldn't consider this season fairly successful with:
2 semi-finals in the domestic cups
3rd or 4th Place in the League
Worst case scenario : a semi-final in the Europa League ? ( i just cant see us losing the quarter final)
Fairly successful? No. But progress from last season? Yes and Im looking forward to being successful next season.
I think our standards have fallen too far... 2 years ago we finished 2nd FA cup finalists and last 16 of Champions league and that was considered a disappointing season.

Chairman Steve

Absolutely yes. The dream scenario is see Sunday off, give all the big guns two weeks off, send the kids and fringers out for the LASK 2nd leg while the big guns are off because there’s no way LASK are overturning 5 away goals.

Get everyone back for EL one-off knockout games which will basically be like us going to a pre season summer club tournament. 3 games max and silverware at the end of it.

Strelok

I thought 3rd but it wasn't that I rated us that highly. It was more I didn't think anyone else was particularly good apart from maybe Leicester. I also think this is exactly what's happened except that Chelsea started well and Leicester were on fire for a couple of months.

If we had Bruno from the start we'd be comfortably 3rd. If we'd avoided injuries to Martial and Rashford we'd be comfortably 3rd. Even if it hadn't taken us a month to figure out how to score a penalty we'd be comfortably 3rd.
:wenger:

I'm not sure I'd trust anything as a reliable indicator that says Newcastle are better than us.

6th was about right. Leicester are the closest team to the top six and we were better than them last year. Arguably about level with Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal but when we were bad we were worse than any of those. It's going to be skewed considering how awful some of our performances under Jose were.

lex talionis

Of course I'd take fourth place. But if the suggestion is that we play for a draw, I'm not having it. Play for the win, but leave no space for Vardy on the break.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I want the fecking league. Anything below is a mediocre and anything below 4th is shite.

SAFMUTD

Yes without a doubt, the goal is to get to the UCL. It doesnt matter if we do it by getting 3rd or 4th.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I initially thought this was a bumped old thread. There is no real difference between 3rd and 4th, of course I would.

roseguy64

The only people who are going to care between the 3rd and 4th positions are those somehow using it as an agenda in a debate / argument to support the manager. The context overall doesn't matter as long as we are playing in Europe next season it's the main accomplishment and Ole will deserve the credit for getting us over the line irrespective of how poor opposition has been etc.
We're playing in Europe next season no matter the result on Sunday.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Of course I'd take 4th. I'd bite your hands off for it.

Right now the only way I can see us finishing fourth is if Wolves beat Chelsea, and that's a big if.
How are you confident Leicester are going to beat us? The fact that they are at home? That doesn't matter anymore.

Like €3200 profit. Thats alot for me :)
But we have to win the game.
What was your bet? For us to finish top 3? I don't know if we're going to win - I have us drawing that game.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Absolutely.
I fancy Chelsea to beat Wolves and while I think we will get what we need in Leicester it's far from a sure thing.

DannyDee

I'd prefer us win, and get the spot. But, if you gave me the guarantee of a draw and Chelsea win knocking us to 4th I'd take it right now over chancing it.

TheGodsInRed

Not sure what the difference is. A couple of mill in prize money, probably just an extra bonus for the glaziers.

Bondi77

Definitely.
I am still not confident enough in this team for them not to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.