• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

madzo2007

Conte would just leave after 2 or 3 years and we would be back to square one..... again

Also left with more aging players that he would probably buy. Conte took Ashley Young to Inter Milan remember.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What does it even mean when people say Conte "doesn't suit us"?
Does being in control of football matches tactically not suit us?
Does competing for trophies not suit us?
Becoming a well drilled team that is capable of scoring as well as maintaining defensive shape to nullify opposition attacks won't suit us?
We don’t even have a style at the moment, not sure how he doesn’t suit us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Becoming a well drilled team that is capable of scoring as well as maintaining defensive shape to nullify opposition attacks won't suit us?
Winning suits us. Or at least it used to. The expectations of the fan base is in the gutter these days. They don’t care about winning leagues anymore. It’s all just sentiment & romance. Since Ole’s last trophy, the Norwegian FA cup 8 years ago, Conte has won 5 league titles, one of them the premier league, he wins a league everywhere he goes, but they don’t want him because Ole is a nicer guy & understands the “United way” Last time I checked the “United way” was about winning trophies at all cost, not playing 2 DMs at home to shit teams & winning nothing. Whatever though, some will delude themselves until the wheels fall off.

stevoc

Are we being a little unfair on Conte?

I don't necessarily disagree with how he is viewed but isn't it about the job description?

If you're appointed a manager with a remit of success now then surely you would maybe focus on aging established players to get quick wins?

With regard to his temperament then I'm not sure how well some of you knew SAF. Maybe it's what's needed to get this club back up and firing?

I don't know if he would be right for us long term, or even short term but you can never know until it becomes a reality.

All I know is I was all for Ole with the remit of stopping the rot. He seems to have done some of that, albeit I'm not sure what the direction is anymore. We went from buying young and thinking of the future to having Mata, matic, cavani and Ronaldo on the books and the youngsters haven't been utilised. I'm thinking Amad, dvb and even elanga etc albeit they have had bits of games.

Conte coming in, and his style would see us definitely filling positions most of us have been saying we lack. Based on what he has done elsewhere and where we seem to be struggling, position wise.

Will he be right? Don't know is the honest answer. But I think he has more in common with SAF than some would like to admit. Not just temperament but his winning leagues whilst struggling in CL, buying players for big money that are needed in key positions.

Just my thoughts
Two of those players were on the books when Ole came in.

Also Antonio Conte is like Alex Ferguson in the same way that apples are like oranges. Yeah they're both fruit but that's about it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because its Oles team, Oles squad and he has earned his opportunity to show what he can do with it.

He has earned it because he has seen an overhaul of the playing staff from the darks days of the end of mouriniho's era where he picked up a horribly unbalanced squad full of players who had the wrong attitude or limited ability or both.

The attack and defence are almost unrecognisable from the start of his era and our now packed full of quality players the midfield of course is a weakness there's about 200m worth of talent bought by the previous manager in there and non of them are the required standard.

As it stands Ole doesn't deserve to be sacked, it may change in the future but we have been here before seemingly every season since Ole has been in charge he has increased expectations and every season the knives come flying out after one bad result and every season so far Ole rides the storm and improves the form and good results come and the knives go away again.

For what it's worth I don't think conte is a good fit, he's not done anything that amazing in his career to be shouting from the roof tops about.
This echoes my thoughts entirely, what a breath of fresh air reading this post.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It means he doesn't build attacking, expansive teams and doesn't build for long-term. He is not a manager of a big club who can deliver success for 10-15 years. He is not Sir Alex. He is clearly 1000x better than Ole for short term wins

I think we should have gotten Nagelssman before
he went to Bayern. But we didnt have enough brains to do it. For as long as idiots are the executives of this club, we will be fecked.

We should not be arguing about who should be the manager, we should be arguing about the executive. Bring Van der Saar as the executive of United and let him hire whoever he decides - then we will be successful

NewGlory

Because its Oles team, Oles squad and he has earned his opportunity to show what he can do with it.

He has earned it because he has seen an overhaul of the playing staff from the darks days of the end of mouriniho's era where he picked up a horribly unbalanced squad full of players who had the wrong attitude or limited ability or both.

The attack and defence are almost unrecognisable from the start of his era and our now packed full of quality players the midfield of course is a weakness there's about 200m worth of talent bought by the previous manager in there and non of them are the required standard.

As it stands Ole doesn't deserve to be sacked, it may change in the future but we have been here before seemingly every season since Ole has been in charge he has increased expectations and every season the knives come flying out after one bad result and every season so far Ole rides the storm and improves the form and good results come and the knives go away again.

For what it's worth I don't think conte is a good fit, he's not done anything that amazing in his career to be shouting from the roof tops about.
I don't even want Conte at United but how can you possibly say Conte hasn't done anything amaizing in his career? He has won Seria A and Premier League and has built one of the best Italian national teams, off of scrapes, in 2016. What Conte did with that team, despite freak defeat against Germany on penalties, was marvelous and it got him the Chelsea job and he came in and won EPL right away.

Conte is one of the best winners that there is out there, right now. The problem I have with him is that he won't use our academy properly and won't build for long term. But otherwise he is an amazing manager, no doubt

sepulturite

For those saying 'no', can you honestly explain to me why you would rather stick with Ole while this guy is available?

I don't think he is a perfect fit, but if are options are Ole or Conte, we should snap his hand off.
For me it's not about keeping Ole, it's just that I don't want Conte here. I think he will be Jose MK2 in terms of when things don't go right with player recruitment etc he will fall out with the board and back to square one again.

He might win us a trophy or two, but I don't think it's worth it in the long run. For me we've missed out on the coaches that would work for us, so we're better off sticking with Ole because there's nobody available right now that would work.

Longshanks

I respect you have a very different opinion of myself.

You say he deserves the chance to see what he can do. I feel he has had the chance to prove himself. We have been in the EL twice, both times with by far the best squad in the competition, yet both times he failed miserably with really poor performances when it really counted. I really struggle to get over the terrible in game management in the final.

I also don't give Ole, all the credit for the overhaul, there a many people involved in making that happen and while he is an important factor I feel with a more forward thinking coach we would have found a very similar path.

He has had over 400m spent over his tenure, so he has been backed and while finishing positions in the league have improved, not much else has. We still have no style of play, can't control a game and his ability for effect a game tactically isn't there. He relies on individual brilliance as he has done since he walked through the door.

Ultimately, I don't feel he has shown us anything to make us believe he can win trophies and have us regularly competing at the top, which should be the minimum requirement for a Manchester United manager.

That is just my opinion however, and I respect yours in different.

What I would like to ask, for you what would be the final straw where you would feel he needs to go?

When he fails to deliver on minimum expectations I guess which this season is to be in the running for the title and get out of our CL group. Of course there could be mitigating circumstances and its not an exact science but they seem like fair expectations.

Roane

Two of those players were on the books when Ole came in.

Also Antonio Conte is like Alex Ferguson in the same way that apples are like oranges. Yeah they're both fruit but that's about it.
I wasn't doing a like for like comparison man.

Yeah those players were in the books but they got extentions under Ole, in the case of matic in a key position which we haven't addressed for ages.

I specified the similarities, based on earlier comments. So the "struggles in the CL" well so did SAF. Yeah he was on a couple but he himself said he didn't have in enough with the players he had and it was something he tried to change.

Similarly SAF spent big in key positions, keane, Rio, rancho hen he needed to.

Let's be honest SAF was special and the way things are unlikely to be copied. So no one is the same as him.

Robbie Boy

I voted no purely because it’s not a binary choice between Ole and Conte.
Same here. It all feels a-bit like 'oh he's available and better than Ole, so let's get him'. For me, that's the kind of short term planning that has us where we are.

I think we should give Ole the season, but have a proper contingency plan in place to get rid, if we don't challenge for the PL and look respectable in the CL. It's not looking promising so far, so chances are, this will be his last season. We really, really need to make sure our next appointment is the correct one, and a modern, progressive manager is highly desirable. If we feck up yet another managerial appointment, I honestly have no idea where it'll leave us. There should already be behind the scenes work going on in this regard. But do I trust us to be making logical, proactive steps like that? feck no :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Same here. It all feels a-bit like 'oh he's available and better than Ole, so let's get him'. For me, that's the kind of short term planning that has us where we are.

I think we should give Ole the season, but have a proper contingency plan in place to get rid, if we don't challenge for the PL and look respectable in the CL. It's not looking promising so far, so chances are, this will be his last season. We really, really need to make sure our next appointment is the correct one, and a modern, progressive manager is highly desirable. If we feck up yet another managerial appointment, I honestly have no idea where it'll leave us. There should already be behind the scenes work going on in this regard. But do I trust us to be making logical, proactive steps like that? feck no :lol:
:lol:

Agree with every word there Robbie

gibers

Yes. He is an elite coach. We have a squad that is among the best in Europe and I'd argue our first Xi is arguably the best in the league. Like giving the best F1 car to a guy that just passed his driving test. What i worry about is the structure around the club. I made a thread about it when we had Mou. Nothing has changed.

Tyrion

true which is a shame really. Ole had been riding on luck and on his player's individual brilliance for quite some time. You don't need a manager for that. Consistency AND the manager's vision/tactical awareness should be the yardstick on how a manager should be judged.
I'd agree. Some fans think you have to think the manager is great to be a "real fan". :houllier:

It's a Man United forum, not an OGS forum.

NewGlory

When he fails to deliver on minimum expectations I guess which this season is to be in the running for the title and get out of our CL group. Of course there could be mitigating circumstances and its not an exact science but they seem like fair expectations.
What is the definition of "be in the running for the title"? Can we agree that finishing 2nd, if you are nowhere near the winner is not really being in the running? Do you have to retain a mathematical chance of winning the title at least until game 35 (three games till the end)?

Revan

Assumptionman
It means he doesn't build attacking, expansive teams and doesn't build for long-term. He is not a manager of a big club who can deliver success for 10-15 years. He is not Sir Alex. He is clearly 1000x better than Ole for short term wins

I think we should have gotten Nagelssman before
he went to Bayern. But we didnt have enough brains to do it. For as long as idiots are the executives of this club, we will be fecked.

We should not be arguing about who should be the manager, we should be arguing about the executive. Bring Van der Saar as the executive of United and let him hire whoever he decides - then we will be successful
Who the feck cares? Having a manager for the next 10-15 years should not be in top 1000 priorities when judging the next manager.

Roboc7

Surely everyone would take him as manager, might not be perfect but it would be an enormous upgrade on Ole and massively increase our chances of winning something. Can’t even complain about playing style being boring as wouldn’t be any worse than what we see now.

Revan

Assumptionman
Stop making stuff up. He’s played Williams, Henderson, Greenwood whilst others have had time here and there. Just because he’s not throwing the likes of Hannibal in when he’s not ready doesn’t equal not giving youth a chance
Tbf, Williams is shit and Henderson had no business being our No.1. Saying that I grant you Henderson, totally forgot about it. With regards to Williams, where is he?

I am not a fan of using academy players just for the sake of using academy players. If they are good enough (Greenwood) sure, if they aren't, no need. What I find surprising though, is that in two positions where we lack most (midfield and RB), we have the two best prospects in the academy (Hannibal and Laird), and Ole has not used them at all (Hannibal doesn't even make squad, while Laird is on loan). I would also argue that Tuanzabe should have been here instead of Bailly, but he is on loan. And Gomez was supposed to be the next best after Greenwood, but didn't ever get a chance

I do not know why he has a reputation for playing academy players. It has been Greenwood and to a lesser degree those two you mentioned, but more or less every manager does that. Mourinho integrated Rashford and heavily played McTominay (also a bit Pereira), Moyes had Januzaj, LVG played everyone (and actually is the only manager post SAF who heavily relied on the academy). Nothing wrong with that to be fair, as I said, I am not a fan of playing academy players to prove a point, but neither seems Ole.

At the end of the day, the two main things should be the trophies and the quality of football. EVerything else is just nice to have, but shouldn't play a big part (if any) in the decision of hiring a manager.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes. He is an elite coach. We have a squad that is among the best in Europe and I'd argue our first Xi is arguably the best in the league. Like giving the best F1 car to a guy that just passed his driving test. What i worry about is the structure around the club. I made a thread about it when we had Mou. Nothing has changed.
By all accounts, it has though?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Tbf, Williams is shit and Henderson had no business being our No.1. Saying that I grant you Henderson, totally forgot about it. With regards to Williams, where is he?

I am not a fan of using academy players just for the sake of using academy players. If they are good enough (Greenwood) sure, if they aren't, no need. What I find surprising though, is that in two positions where we lack most (midfield and RB), we have the two best prospects in the academy (Hannibal and Laird), and Ole has not used them at all (Hannibal doesn't even make squad, while Laird is on loan). I would also argue that Tuanzabe should have been here instead of Bailly, but he is on loan. And Gomez was supposed to be the next best after Greenwood, but didn't ever get a chance

I do not know why he has a reputation for playing academy players. It has been Greenwood and to a lesser degree those two you mentioned, but more or less every manager does that. Mourinho integrated Rashford and heavily played McTominay (also a bit Pereira), Moyes had Januzaj, LVG played everyone (and actually is the only manager post SAF who heavily relied on the academy). Nothing wrong with that to be fair, as I said, I am not a fan of playing academy players to prove a point, but neither seems Ole.

At the end of the day, the two main things should be the trophies and the quality of football. EVerything else is just nice to have, but shouldn't play a big part (if any) in the decision of hiring a manager.
You are way too harsh on the young players. No manager would throw them in at the speed you seem to want.
Laird has been injury prone so he’s a bit behind, hence why he’s getting loan time.
Hannibal I wish fans would stop putting this amount of pressure on before he’s even ready ffs. Ole has spoken of blooding him for the Pogba role and I expect we will start seeing a lot more of him if Pogba let’s it be known he’s not signing. But Jesus, give the lad time. He’s not ready yet, he’s got several flaws in his game, including his temper.

As for the others I mentioned Ole put them in, which disapproved the point in your original post. He gives them a chance when he feels that they are ready

BlueHaze

Last year I would probably have said no. Now I say yes. I'd rather give the chance to him and see what he could achieve with this squad no matter his eventual fallout with board and sacking. What's the alternative? Another trophyless season with Ole and his incredibly dull football.

Trequarista10

Already imagining what we'd look like in his 352 formation.
Ronaldo - Greenwood

Telles - Pogba - Bruno - Dalot
Matic
Shaw - Varane - Maguire
It's alright except for a lack of cover for Matic and the wing backs being a bit meh (but arguably could prosper in this set up).

RooneyLegend

Nope, drab football and i don't really rate him that highly. Not CL proven which is a big deal imo.

Longshanks

What is the definition of "be in the running for the title"? Can we agree that finishing 2nd, if you are nowhere near the winner is not really being in the running? Do you have to retain a mathematical chance of winning the title at least until game 35 (three games till the end)?
Something along those lines, be within say 5 points going into the last 5 games or something. Its not an exact science like I say but just feeling like we really could win it going into the last few games.

Revan

Assumptionman
You are way too harsh on the young players. No manager would throw them in at the speed you seem to want.
Laird has been injury prone so he’s a bit behind, hence why he’s getting loan time.
Hannibal I wish fans would stop putting this amount of pressure on before he’s even ready ffs. Ole has spoken of blooding him for the Pogba role and I expect we will start seeing a lot more of him if Pogba let’s it be known he’s not signing. But Jesus, give the lad time. He’s not ready yet, he’s got several flaws in his game, including his temper.

As for the others I mentioned Ole put them in, which disapproved the point in your original post. He gives them a chance when he feels that they are ready
We don't know though. Pedri last season was a revelation for Barca, despite that he was only 18.

In general, I like using academy players in the positions we are weak. And we are weak in midfield and RB so I think if Ole was the young player's manager, those players would have had a role so far. Under LVG, they might have played a lot.

In the end, Ole is just the typical manager when it comes to using young players. Which is totally fine, but I do not know where the reputation comes that he plays a lot academy players.

Infra-red

Conte, no. Zidane, yes. Nagelsmann would be great imo but obviously not available anymore
He might be, by the time we are looking (probably not for at least another couple of seasons).

Conte won't be out of work for long and will definitely be in another job a long time before we are looking for an Ole replacement.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo - Greenwood

Telles - Pogba - Bruno - Dalot
Matic
Shaw - Varane - Maguire
It's alright except for a lack of cover for Matic and the wing backs being a bit meh (but arguably could prosper in this set up).
Shaw for Telles, and Lindelof for Shaw, I would say. Varane in the center of defense, Maguire left, Lindelof right.

NewGlory

Something along those lines, be within say 5 points going into the last 5 games or something. Its not an exact science like I say but just feeling like we really could win it going into the last few games.
Yeah, that's a fair definition. I don't think Ole has any chance of doing anything like that if current rot continues. As a matter of fact, if things don't improve we won't be able to finish above Liverpool and will have to settle for 4th place (at best) behind Chelsea, City, and Liverpool. Which sucks, because couple weeks ago I was certain we'd finish above Liverpool, at least.

NewGlory

Who the feck cares? Having a manager for the next 10-15 years should not be in top 1000 priorities when judging the next manager.
And yet it is. Our most recent memory of "good times" is still that of Sir Alex, and therefore that is what most fans are looking for. Becoming Chelsea, who replaces managers every couple years and doesn't care for growing youth through academy, is not us. If we became such club, it would be a huge departure from traditions. Not a trivial move.

Eddy_JukeZ

And yet it is. Our most recent memory of "good times" is still that of Sir Alex, and therefore that is what most fans are looking for. Becoming Chelsea, who replaces managers every couple years and doesn't care for growing youth through academy, is not us. If we became such club, it would be a huge departure from traditions. Not a trivial move.
Most fans pinning for another SAF are deluded.

We need to forget about replicating those days and get with the times.

There won't be another SAF.

Traditions can evolve.

Revan

Assumptionman
What about becoming Chelsea who wins trophies every year?

United did not hire Sir Alex to stay for 26 years. He just was good enough to stay for that long. Similarly, we should not hire a new manager to stay for a certain number of years (that is above 2 or 3). If he is good enough, and it is in the interest of both the club and him to contine, sure, otherwise, no.

Consequently, a manager staying long-time should be a consequence of that said manager being great and also wanting to stay here. Not the manager being a consequence of us trying to find a long-term manager.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What if the players in the academy just aren’t good enough though? I mean the cream rises to the top right? Shouldn’t we only be interested in academy players who show world class potential? Rather than obsessing over it the way our fans do? Chelsea don’t prioritise promoting players from the academy yet Mason Mount & Reece James start for them, John Terry is a legend for them. Players who are good, but not quite good enough, like Abraham, Tomori are sold for big fees. I don’t see what’s wrong with this? Chelsea would’ve sold players like McTominay, Tuanzebe & Williams by now for about £80m combined, and used the money to make the squad better. Instead one starts who clearly isn’t good enough, while the other 2 are on loan & will either be sold for far less than we could’ve got at one point, or be released. We’re not ruthless enough with academy players.

Flytan

I don't see anyone sticking their nose up at Pep?
Our fans constantly call him a chequebook manager, so they do.

Also not sure why that's an insult, not like we don't use our financial power to buy players. Why would he intentionally go somewhere with no money when he doesn't have to.

Foxbatt

Forget about Conte. I would take Big Sam at this moment. At least you know what you are going to get from him.

Someone

Something
He doesn't feel like a right fit, but I'm starting to feel that this club needs to taste success even in the short term. We're closing on a decade without a league title. If he gets bored in a couple of years but wins us something, it'd be worth it.

Hoof the ball

People are tripping, I swear.

We don't play the United Way under Ole, even though his whole schtick was about making that happen.
Ole is almost as conservative as Mourinho, anyhow.
So what is it that we're apparently sacrificing by entertaining Conte? What swashbuckling offensive football are we compromising on here? :lol:

Conte at his most defensive is still a more progressive manager than Ole is, despite the United Way rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.