Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole will be the manager come the start of next season. But if it comes to down to changing manager, then I hope we look at a manager who believes in adopting a attack minded approach. The likes of Nagelmann and Marco Rose likely won't be available in the near future. But personally I hope we look at either Ten Hag or Adi Hutter for the role, because whatever happens, we'll play on the front foot and both Ten Hag and Hutter are well versed when it comes to understanding the modern game. Hutter I really like and is someone who I think is a very talented coach. He's recently been appointed as the new Gladbach coach.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Yes. Winner wherevers hes been at. He would do well here I reckon.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Trying to imagine what a Conte team with this squad would look like (given a couple of likely/possible signings)...

------------------------Keeper
---------Lindelöf----Maguire----Shaw
Hakimi----------------Rice--------------James
--------------McTominay---Fred
-------------Fernandes---Rashford

Just looks fecking dire before you even have to watch them play :(

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Trying to imagine what a Conte team with this squad would look like (given a couple of likely/possible signings)...

------------------------Keeper
---------Lindelöf----Maguire----Shaw
Hakimi----------------Rice--------------James
--------------McTominay---Fred
-------------Fernandes---Rashford

Just looks fecking dire before you even have to watch them play :(
Don't think it'd be like that at all. Would reckon the below would make far more sense:

------------------------------Henderson-----------------------------------
--------Lindelof--------------Maguire--------------Shaw------------
AWB--------------Pogba---------Bissouma----------------Telles
---------------------------------Bruno----------------------------------------
---------------Greenwood----------------Rashford-------------------

That's a pretty fecking good team all things considered. All you'd need is a DM/CM who's comfortable holding the midfield - gone for Bissouma but there are several candidates (Rice, Tchouameni, Soumare if not Leicester bound, Camavinga, etc.)

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Don't rate OGS and I mean at all. But Conte requires total support and usually signs old players ala Italian Mourinho, so reluctantly, it's a no from me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Depressed seeing over half say yes. feck me, we are in a state.
All his successful sides were actually quite good going forward and scored plenty of goals. The problem with him is he's a psychopath and throws a tantrum whenever he doesn't have complete backing in the transfer market with his #1 options, so it would be short lived anyway, but he's undoubtedly a top manager while he's there.

V.O.

Don't think it'd be like that at all. Would reckon the below would make far more sense:

------------------------------Henderson-----------------------------------
--------Lindelof--------------Maguire--------------Shaw------------
AWB--------------Pogba---------Bissouma----------------Telles
---------------------------------Bruno----------------------------------------
---------------Greenwood----------------Rashford-------------------

That's a pretty fecking good team all things considered. All you'd need is a DM/CM who's comfortable holding the midfield - gone for Bissouma but there are several candidates (Rice, Tchouameni, Soumare if not Leicester bound, Camavinga, etc.)
Wan Bissaka would be bobbins as a wing back, I think he'd just want to buy new there, and I think he'd love a bit of Dan James as much as he likes Moses.

Also, aren't his midfields usually one sitter (Brozovic) and a couple of triers (Vecino, Barella)? I'm struggling to see him putting Bruno and Pogba in his middle three.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wan Bissaka would be bobbins as a wing back, I think he'd just want to buy new there, and I think he'd love a bit of Dan James as much as he likes Moses.

Also, aren't his midfields usually one sitter (Brozovic) and a couple of triers (Vecino, Barella)? I'm struggling to see him putting Bruno and Pogba in his middle three.
Yeah, you're spot on with AWB. In an ideal world Shaw and Telles would be the wing backs but neither are particularly good on their right foot. I'm also a huge fan of Hakimi so if he's available then the back 3 becomes AWB - Maguire - Lindelof with Hakimi / Shaw as wingbacks.

Conte's midfields have varied depending on the squad generally - at Juve it was Vidal - Pirlo - Pogba, with Pirlo sitting and the other two shuttling box to box for the most part. At Chelsea, it was more of a true midfield partnership - Kante with one of Matic or Fabregas depending on the opposition. I don't think a midfield of Pogba / Bissouma / Bruno would be untenable from Conte's perspective - especially given Bissouma's positional nous.

Champagne Football

Conte would be an absolute disaster. It would be Jose 2. The wrong type of manager for Utd.

He's a checkbook manager who prefers expensive stars over promoting youth. Greenwood, Diallo, Mejbri and Garner etc could look forward to being replaced in the pecking order by the likes of Willian, Alexis, Peresic, Mandzukic etc

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Hypothetical situation - would you take Conte at United ? Do you think he would be a good fit ?

Unlike other teams he has managed , we won't sell players , we invest decent money every year.
No

V.O.

I'm also a huge fan of Hakimi so if he's available then the back 3 becomes AWB - Maguire - Lindelof with Hakimi / Shaw as wingbacks.
Unfortunately, I don't think AWB would cut it as a CB even in a three, mainly because he can't head the ball for toffee, but I think the positional mistakes he makes already at RB would be amplified as well. Just really can't see a role for him in the system Conte likes.

Conte's midfields have varied depending on the squad generally - at Juve it was Vidal - Pirlo - Pogba, with Pirlo sitting and the other two shuttling box to box for the most part. At Chelsea, it was more of a true midfield partnership - Kante with one of Matic or Fabregas depending on the opposition. I don't think a midfield of Pogba / Bissouma / Bruno would be untenable from Conte's perspective - especially given Bissouma's positional nous.
Yeah, that would definitely be a lot easier on the eyes than what I'm imagining it'd be!

If we had a midfield two within a million lightyears of being as defensively sound as peak Matic and Kante, it'd be natural just to stick either Bruno or Pogba in as a 10 and be very happy with it. Though I think he's played quite a bit of that type of midfield you're describing with Sensi in that slot this year for Inter, despite not having the same quality he had further back at Chelsea.

Irwin99

No. Would prefer a fresher style; a forward-thinking manager that plays good, progressive football that has his own vision for the way he wants to play (and not some rehash of the 'United way'). The goals we've scored doesn't tell the whole story this season (Jose got 100+ goals with Spurs FFS and they were far worse than we were). I'd like to watch a United team that actually dominates games and not just plays in bursts. I never really liked Conte's style and i'm not sure it'd be all that different to what we've endured in the past.

Ole has got the team to top 4 two seasons in a row and there has been some progression regardless of the loss to Villareal. It's silly to be thinking of new managers at this point. Let's see what happens next year.

Wing Attack Plan R

No. I'd rather the board invest in some new players who go straight into the first team. We made a faustian bargain bringing in Jose and it weakened the club as a whole. Conte would do the same. He might win something before burning it all to the ground and then we spend another 7 years without a league title.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
One of the issues that were solved within the club was the level of toxicity within the club. The fractured nature of the club between the various groups and departments. Conte would send us back into those depths again. Short term success over long term damage.

mancsarered

"What never happen to me and will never happen is to be suspended for match fixing" :lol:

lex talionis

Conte is at his prime and his peak years as a manager currently. He's hasn't failed with a single team so far.

LVG was past it and Mourinho was entering his last years at top football.

What a weird comparison. Love or hate the guy, Conte is currently one of the best managers in the world.
Perhaps Van Gaal was a ridiculous take, but Mourinho is not. Whatever one thinks of Jose, he’s still “one of the best managers in the world”.

There’s not a lot about Conte that would give me confidence of better days ahead for United.

el3mel

Perhaps Van Gaal was a ridiculous take, but Mourinho is not. Whatever one thinks of Jose, he’s still “one of the best managers in the world”.

There’s not a lot about Conte that would give me confidence of better days ahead for United.
I didn't say Mourinho was a bad appointment back then. I was a huge fan of the guy myself.

However Mourinho was coming to us after a giga failure in his last season with Chelsea. We were hoping it was just one season and he still had it in him. We squeezed whatever shit he still had in his last days at top football but it was clear it wasn't the same Mourinho of his early years at all and he's just going down hill.

Conte isn't leaving Inter with a failure like Mourinho with Chelsea. He has nothing to prove like him back then. He has been a big success in every single club he has managed so far and is still in his peak years. He has dominated the league with Juve, brought Chelsea a league and Fa Cup, and made Inter league champions for the first time since Mourinho left them, that was what, 11 years ago?

We didn't sign Mourinho at his prime. That was during Chelsea/Inter period. But Conte is in his prime and currently one of the best coaches in the world.

So this comparison doesn't make sense.

Anyway, rest easy, it isn't going to happen.

bonothom

I'm not sure why any United fan who seriously wants to challenge for the title would say no. The guy has just ended Juventus dominance. Won the prem title in his first season at Chelsea also. He's a serial winner. United have made progress this season but look how we started the season and how we ended it. Unless we have a really good transfer window I can see us starting slowly again and if City and a resurgent Liverpool get off to a flyer which looks likely we'll be out of the race again before it's really got going. There's something missing from this United team and I just don't think Ole has it in him to make that step from being an also ran. The Europa League Final was a shit show and Ole's tactics questionable. What was he thinking when taking off a forward to put on defensive midfielder Fred when United needed to win it? And why sacrifice a far more effective Greenwood and leave Rashford on who was terrible.

Giggs86

Yes let's get Conte and also bring our Ashley back home while we're at it.

Cloud7

No winning a league title isn’t worth watching a season full of boring, defensive football.

DeepSpace

Supports
ATL
Voted yes and it felt dirty - I don't know why. I think if you'd asked this yesterday, or if we'd won the cup, then the answer would have been no. feck you, to no one in particular.

redshaw

Not sure he can overcome City but I think he'd do well, trouble is he's highly motivational and volatile, could be a win something and crash and burn.

I do feel he'd cut through the casual nature of the club. You see players like Cavani and Bruno really show up the lax nature of the rest we've been enduing for years and they've raised our level substantially.

He's done great at many clubs quickly but I think we need something more to be on top and change the dynamic of the club.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

-----------------------------Henderson------------------------------

-----------Varane----------Maguire--------------Shaw------

Hakimi-----------Pogba-------------Fred-----------Telles

---------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------

-----------------Cavani----------------Rashford-------------------

Manager: Conte

------------------‐----------Henderson------------------------------

Awb------------Varane--------------Maguire----------Shaw

---------------------Pogba-------------Rice--------------------------

Sancho---------------------Bruno--------------------Rashford

---------------------------------Cavani-‐-------------------------------

Manager: Ole

Who has the better chance of competing with Chelsea, Liverpool and Cuty for the league?

Nickelodeon

Yes.

He's won leagues wherever he's gone. We need to win trophies at any cost now. Yes, it will end bitterly but enough of this nonsense of congratulating the manager on Top 4 finishes.

Skills

Snitch
Yes. Beggers can't be choosers.

His Chelsea scored 85 goals in the season they won the PL - that's more than we've done in any season after Fergie retired. Including this season - under the beloved, attacking management philosophy of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

slored1

Imagine thinking Conte will get along with Judge, Murtaugh and the Glazers. He will want new players for 300 million pounds, Bruno becomes useless in his system, so does Rashford.

MadMike

I would offer him the money he needs and an assortment of the best wigs money can buy, to boost his self confidence, then let him do his thing.

gajender

He is a great manager who like his Compatriot Allegri is strangely underrated but I am quite certain given our resources both of them would have us Challenging City and Liverpool , I wouldn't put it pass them to actually win the PL quite early in their reign like in two years at most

With Conte having done that already in England he is a no brainer if we decide to part ways with Solskjaer in Summer .

MadMike

Can we not play pleasant attacking footie for once :(:(
We’re not doing that atm. Unless you see 3 shots in 120 minutes and no tactical plan as attacking football. So if we’re to play shite, we might as well look well drilled and capable of winning something. You can surely see the temptation.

Harold_Giles

No.

When Ole is eventually replaced it should be with an attack minded manager who might stay at the club for a while.

Conte would most likely not win a single thing, and leave the squad as a huge mess for the next manager.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Conte is a far better manager then Molde but he's also a crying baby who keeps burning bridges at every club. There are better options around

Status
Not open for further replies.