Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's too late, we'll never get anything this season. Just give ole till the end of the season while we approach Ten Haag. Conte is a great manager, but I doubt he'll weave his magic if he comes midway to a crash and burn squad. Even if it's going to be Conte, tell him to come next season while telling Ole he's sacked either way, just make the best of it.

RUCK4444

Watch out, Conte. You'll get a very detailed vision explanation, consisting of lots of "DNA" and "United way" terms. Which basically translates to "jobs for the mates", "stone-age football" and "promoting the youth" thrown in there for good fun.
Do you just hate the club? :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Conte keen on Manchester United job as players doubt Solskjær’s capability
  • Former Chelsea manager would welcome Old Trafford talks
  • Players like Solskjær but think he is tactically not up to task

Antonio Conte would be open to discussing taking over at Manchester United if Ole Gunnar Solskjær were sacked, while it emerged on Monday that several players are questioning whether the Norwegian can take the team any further.

Several dressing-room sources have told the Guardian that Sunday’s 5-0 capitulation to Liverpool at Old Trafford has crystallised a lack of belief in Solskjær being a good enough manager for United. The 48-year-old is considered tactically underwhelming, while being well-liked by the squad and within the wider club.

United are thought to be seriously considering Solskjær’s future after taking one point from their past four Premier League games. Joel Glazer, who heads the American family’s ownership, resides in Florida, five hours behind the UK, so any decision may be taken later on Monday. The managing director, Richard Arnold, is understood to have cancelled all appointments on Monday to hold talks with Glazer.

Conte has not received any formal contact from the club. Although the Italian is reluctant to take up a position during a season, he would make an exception for United because he considers the club a special opportunity. The 52-year-old would want to understand United’s vision before committing.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...as-players-doubt-solskjaer-capability-tactics
There isn't a vision bro. Just buy players for exorbitant fees and hope they get top 4. Waste money as much as we can, tell United DNA every week without fail etc are some of our visions.

Revaulx

Watch out, Conte. You'll get a very detailed vision explanation, consisting of lots of "DNA" and "United way" terms. Which basically translates to "jobs for the mates", "stone-age football" and "promoting the youth" thrown in there for good fun.
‘Fraid so!

The only manager we’ve had since SAF that promoted the youth was LvG. Yet fans hated him for not being United enough…

Artimities

What team would he opt for?

---------------------DGG----------------
---Lindelof Varane Maguire--
Greenwood------------------Shaw
---------------Matic Fred------------
Sancho-----------------Rashford
--------------Ronaldo----------------
Sitting here trying to figure out if there is a way to salvage this squad and tactically there has to be. Our defense is not working. We cant keep a clean sheet if our lives depended on it. I for one and so tired of seeing Shaw and AWB so far up the pitch. Shaws form is not good and AWB is inconsistent at best.

Infra-red

I can think of a few players that would not last under Conte, you know the ones who have their pr teams talk to the press every time they’re upset. The brats wouldn’t cope with his cut throat style, one hint of less than 100% effort then you’ll be gone.

Be careful what you wish for boys.
He'd make sure we gave Pogba a new deal. He's also not really a fan of #10s or wingers, so I'm not sure he'd get along too well with Bruno and Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood would probably be competing for a single spot in the XI (in the front two alongside Ronaldo/Cavani).

Skills

Snitch

I can see Shaw dropping into LCB (like Azpi did) and Telles play LWB. AWB/Dalot RWBs

Pogba-Fred in Midfield

Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno upfront

RUCK4444

Probably something like this. I reckon it would be tumescent.

I’m dreading it being Conte, dreading it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

I like this but I think I’d have VDB instead of Fred/matic, also try and get wan bissaka in as a CB, does conte rotate between a 3-5-2 and 3-4-3?

DavelinaJolie

I'm torn tbh. On the one hand it can't go on like this and Conte seems the only viable option out there that is ready right now. But it also feels like the Mourinho hire, and we'll be looking for a new manager in a season or two.

Pick your poison, I guess.

Robertd0803

I would quite happily have the devil himself in charge if it meant no more repeats of yesterday and we were winning major trophies again.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Maybe not the manager you guys want, but he's the one you need.
I have no objection to unexciting football but I'm struggling to get past how we get his preferred formation out of our squad. As far as I can tell realistically we'd have to gut it of some of its most talented players. I don't think Conte is near good enough to justify that.

Artimities

I think now is a perfect time to get a manager in. At Tottenham and then Atalanta and City at home. Tottenham is not playing well and our talent should make it competitive. CL is the game we need and then build on that for City.

Revaulx

Do you just hate the club? :lol:
Why is that “hating” the club? It’s merely questioning the competence of those running it. Which is very much NOT just Ole.

So what do you reckon the club’s “vision” is?

I’m a great believer in both attacking football and giving youth a chance, but post-SAF we’ve had very little of either other than the latter under LvG.

Highfather_24

People are saying "I'd take the defensive football if it meant trophies", but knowing our luck, he will fall out with players, sell good players who end up being succesful elsewhere, while playing tumescent football, yet we wont have the trophies to show for it. Defensive managers are only accepted if they are succesful. If they are not, its the worst of both worlds.

And 2 years later we will be having the same discussion, looking for another manager to unfeck our unbalanced squad after Conte.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I like this but I think I’d have VDB instead of Fred/matic, also try and get wan bissaka in as a CB, does conte rotate between a 3-5-2 and 3-4-3?
You like the idea of Greenwood as RWB?

Christ, I know people want Ole out but don’t be daft.

ShinjiNinja26

If Conte is genuinely interested in taking the job then he’s definitely done his homework and will already have an idea of how he’d set us up and get the best out of the players at his disposal. I don’t think he’d just come in and stubbornly play a wingback system if our squad isn’t suited to it.

peridigm

Would Conte want to be in charge for City? Would be a huge statement but I can see him waiting until after the shellacking.

Flytan

People are saying "I'd take the defensive football if it meant trophies", but knowing our luck, he will fall out with players, sell good players who end up being succesful elsewhere, while playing tumescent football, yet we wont have the trophies to show for it. Defensive managers are only accepted if they are succesful. If they are not, its the worst of both worlds.

And 2 years later we will be having the same discussion, looking for another manager to unfeck our unbalanced squad after Conte.
So you're saying if it fails we'll be looking at a new manager in 2 years? Sounds like the board would be learning then.

We already spent 400M on Ole. We're always going to spend. Our squad is relatively old with young players in like 2 positions. It needs to win in the next few years.

Abraxas

I have no objection to unexciting football but I'm struggling to get past how we get his preferred formation out of our squad. As far as I can tell realistically we'd have to gut it of some of its most talented players. I don't think Conte is near good enough to justify that.
I'm not a great lover of the Conte idea but I'm not sure this is the best reason to avoid him. I struggle to believe a world class manager can only play with a back 3/5. That just doesn't make much sense, there are surely universally applicable themes across any formation.

He may decide to use that formation, he may not. I doubt he's glued to it if it's seen as workable. Any manager has to come in and assess his squad.

justboy68

Conte seems to be the biggest rumour going around. Ten Hag would be my top choice from what I've seen but he likely wouldn't come mid season. Conte is at least a proven manager and well worth a shot.

Banat

Not my first choice but wouldn't mind him at all, he is nothing like Mourinho. Mourinho was already past it when he joined us, Conte is still hungry and very passionate about football. A demanding coach, he would make our primadonnas work their socks off.
He's been a success wherever he is been (in recent past). He won the league with Moses, Willian, Cahill and Pedro as starters, I can only imagine what he can do with our superior squad.
I don't think he would feck off either after a season or two.
Our board is quite supportive managers, we can spend big money and can pay big wages.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Would be worth the experiment if it's just until the end of the season. Make the money worth it for him to take the temporary gig.

wattsy7

He'd make sure we gave Pogba a new deal. He's also not really a fan of #10s or wingers, so I'm not sure he'd get along too well with Bruno and Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood would probably be competing for a single spot in the XI (in the front two alongside Ronaldo/Cavani).
Pogba was a boy when he was with Conte at Juve. I can’t see the Pogba of today lasting more than half a season under him.

RedStarUnited

Assuming its a 352. Greenwood is the only player that I can see suffering, who else?

Crimson King

Seems like something of a non sequitur, but for the record, Potter wouldn't be my pick and I would certainly take Conte over him (and I'd take Conte over Rodgers and Zidane, too), but he (Potter) is nevertheless the 5th favourite for the job according to Paddypower's odds.

This point is, this is not a choice between Conte and Solskjaer - it's a choice between Conte and every other possible option.
Fair enough, I wasn't necessarily criticising you, more so the fact that he seems to actually be in the conversation.

He's done a decent job at Brighton and they play decent stuff at times, but anyone who actually thinks that's enough to get this job needs their head checked.

As others have pointed out though, I'm not sure the Glazers or their Bristol Uni brain trust are reliable enough to see that...

Valencia Shin Crosses

Sitting here trying to figure out if there is a way to salvage this squad and tactically there has to be. Our defense is not working. We cant keep a clean sheet if our lives depended on it. I for one and so tired of seeing Shaw and AWB so far up the pitch. Shaws form is not good and AWB is inconsistent at best.
I'd go the Madrid route back when they were pummeling teams: 442 in a block in defense with Bruno tucking in on the left and Lingard on the right, Pogba and Fred in the middle, with Ronaldo and one of Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood up top playing off of each other that can stay high up the pitch and counter. The squad as currently constructed just isn't going to work trying to press teams high because that takes months to implement an ACTUAL pressing system that isn't just "run around a lot". But I think something similar to what I described above actually fits and would solve a lot of our issues being overrun in midfield as you'd have 4 instead of two there, along with still being able to counter effectively with two strikers that are dynamite on the break and Lingard and Bruno who both operate better in space with Pogba supplying. I also don' think there is any version of our best team that doesn't involve Pogba, he's the only player apart from Matic that provides any sort of class in progressive passing without being a gunslinger a la Bruno.

Artimities

I would do the following:

Take the captain band from Maquire.
Bring in Zidane or Conte
Change the formation to something that allows us not to be so damn open to everybody scoring goals against us
Look to move Pogba sooner than later
use the winter period to add 1-2 pieces to the puzzle and it doesnt need to be super expensive players.
Sort out Baily, Jones and Lindeloff to see who stays and who needs to go
I would make Ronaldo or Bruno the captain as I like the fire they show. Even when Ronaldo was wrong yesterday with the yellow card... at least he showed something.

wattsy7

Why do our players always get their pr teams to talk to the press? Boils my piss, cowards.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Conte is genuinely interested in taking the job then he’s definitely done his homework and will already have an idea of how he’d set us up and get the best out of the players at his disposal. I don’t think he’d just come in and stubbornly play a wingback system if our squad isn’t suited to it.
I agree with that he either has identified who can play as a wingback or he will use any of the formations that he has used in the past. If I'm being honest my fear of Conte is unjustified because his back 3 isn't a back 5 in disguise which is one of my biggest issue with managers randomly using that formation and Conte isn't as predictable as people think, he has used a multitude of systems and formations, the only constant is that he relies on a dense midfield area whether it is by using three center midfielders are by having one of the CBs stepping up.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
A good manager would find a formation that fits the player he has instead of trying to force fit players into a fixed formation.

pseudo_canadian

As long as we show any resemblance of a professional football team that is able to do the bare minimum of basic football (passing, defending, pressing), then I’ll take anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.