Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
hahaha conte pimping himself out like no tomorrow.

first trying to get the man utd job, now he's accepting the tottenham one. Sounds desperate to get back into managing.
He wants to work, and as a top class manager, there's no point in waiting for a club like United while they dream of Ole turning into Sir Alex over the course of the next 50 years.

padzilla

Hipster
United seem to exist at the minute to give Ole Gunnar Solksjaer a high profile coaching gig rather than challenge for the top titles.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Spurs it seems can also change his mind...

Is this possible posturing from Conte's camp to put pressure on United?

Raulduke

He may well end up at Spurs but Italian reports of it being in the final stages could well be an attempt to force United's hand.

ZenMaster Coltrane

This really isn't that complicated. You need a top 5 manager to compete against the other 3 who are in the PL. You have to manage big egos and be a winner. Conte easily has the best track record. But the club and some of the Fergusonism kool aid drinkers are dogmatically going around handing out United DNA flyers. Poch needs an actual DOF and a ton of luck like maybe Tuchel, Pep and Klopp leaving the league, in order to be successful. Aside from the club being sold and wiping out ALL OF the staff, the media people, EVERYONE, Conte and his force of personality would be the best shot at exposing the club and revolutionizing the thinking. This club is not going to improve and evolve under these bankers nor is it going to turn itself from Disneyland into a ruthless football club overnight. But Conte could trigger something and get players playing above their current ceiling.

laughtersassassin

It sums us up perfectly. From the greatest manager of all time to a situation where all our rivals have better managers than us. Conte is a fantastic manager but thankfully for us he can cause no harm being at a club like Spurs.
Us with Ole and them with Conte.

Could very well beat us to the top 4

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
One thing it proves is how much of a shite talker Romano is: “Conte would not take a job midway through the season but he’ll make an exception because it’s Man United”.

Di Marzio is still the don.

BlueHaze

One thing it proves is how much of a shite talker Romano is: “Conte would not take a job midway through the season but he’ll make an exception because it’s Man United”.

I have no idea why people claim Romano to be a "good source"

NK86

I would rather wait and get the right replacement than select someone just because they happen to be available right now. I don't see Conte staying more than 2-3 seasons judging by his career history, then we get to this same stage again. Ten Hag for example could be here for 5+ years and really transform us similar to what Klopp and Guardiola have done.
This is the main ridiculous thought behind why we are still struggling while all our rivals have pulled miles ahead. We are waiting for that manager who is brilliant and will stay with us for 5+ years. Why not go for the best available one right now and see how it pans out. It's like this concept of going with the best and then taking things one step at a time is a completely alien concept.

You don't give up on a top employee in the hope you get someone who "may" stay with us longer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I suppose if you factor in the fact we usually give managers more time than any other club it would be a longer term appointment than your average for a manager.

Personally speaking, for me it would represent a short term appointment compared to what my preference would be. I prefer the long term strategy personally, not through some naive traditional preference for United specifically, just because I don't think our owners and board are organised and savvy enough to move from one manager to the next and sustain any sort of continuity like Chelsea for example.

I think the board fancy Poch and will see how it pans out with Ole in the coming weeks/months with one eye on PSG's results and how he's doing in Paris. I'd like Ten Haag myself, because I think that's the style of football we need to transition to. So I'm not gutted if Conte goes to Tottenham although I respect him and expect him to do well there, it comes back to personal preference and gut feeling I suppose. A large section of fans just want us to compete immediately and I understand that's a fair opinion.
Long term vs short term isn't a manager appointment strategy, all well run clubs appoint for short term goals and evaluate the situation constantly which can lead to long tenures. And your idea is absolutely naive particularly when you need to be even more savvy when it comes to appointing a manager if you were to follow a logic of long term appointments since you will by definition allocate more time and money on a single action, you can't afford to miss on a long term appointment.

Your take isn't uncommon but it makes no actual sense, you wouldn't apply it to any area in your personal or professional life, no one would suggest that if you are not competent in a domain then you should focus on taking decisions that have a lasting impact instead of taking a serie of smaller, less complicated decisions. That's why all continuously successful clubs operate on a shorter term basis, that's less costly and easier to fix.

macheda14

That was probably true. People do change their minds. Conte could easily have wanted to manage United, we seemed to show that we weren't fully behind him. He realised he wanted to get back into management and he gets to return to London which he reportedly like living in.

RedDevilQuebecois

I suppose if you factor in the fact we usually give managers more time than any other club it would be a longer term appointment than your average for a manager.

Personally speaking, for me it would represent a short term appointment compared to what my preference would be. I prefer the long term strategy personally, not through some naive traditional preference for United specifically, just because I don't think our owners and board are organised and savvy enough to move from one manager to the next and sustain any sort of continuity like Chelsea for example.

I think the board fancy Poch and will see how it pans out with Ole in the coming weeks/months with one eye on PSG's results and how he's doing in Paris. I'd like Ten Haag myself, because I think that's the style of football we need to transition to. So I'm not gutted if Conte goes to Tottenham although I respect him and expect him to do well there, it comes back to personal preference and gut feeling I suppose. A large section of fans just want us to compete immediately and I understand that's a fair opinion.
The problem is that football has changed so much that it would take something extraordinary for any appointment to have long-term value. Top football clubs in the world understood that a long time ago and thus changed their entire structures to accomodate an average life span of 2-3 seasons for any head coach. Anything beyond 3 seasons would be a bonus. If that 5-man committee (Murtough, Fletcher, Bout, etc.) is behaving like what they are supposed to do, we should be in a good position to emulate what other top clubs do. The term "manager" is something that should be thrown into the garbage bin forever; we shuld have a head coach at the very best while transfers and vision should be taken care of by that committee.

I just don't understand why Pochettino would be a good option if he gets the sack at PSG. The fact that he won feck all at Spurs was a red flag, but the fact that he may potentially not take PSG to their full potential would be an even bigger red flag. How would anybody be convinced that he'd be able to cut it at Manchester United if he can't do it at PSG? That's not even saying that we Manchester United may already be in serious trouble by the time we shove Ole out of the door; being in the wrong position could be a major turn-off for many managerial/coaching candidates. And to go back to my previous paragraph, I'm no longer a believer of Fergusonism in this age of professional football. The sooner we get rid of that concept, the quicker we will move back to the top.

It's not just about wanting us to compete immediately. It has been 8 years since we last had that kind of competitiveness and professionalism within the club, and any shorcut to get back to those levels is perfect by me, especially when so many clubs have taken those shortcuts in the last decade.

Micky Targaryen

I’m really confused about those comments stating that Conte will not join Spurs because he already rejected them once before.

1) It’s as if humans aren’t capable of changing their minds. Context matters. United clearly aren’t interested even if Conte is supposedly holding out for the United job. If he wants to manage in England, I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t reconsider Spurs.

2) Again, everyone has a price.

3) Conte isn’t some North Londoner nor does he have some sort of blood allegiance to Arsenal or something. Again I don’t know how people can so confidently state that he will never join Spurs.

4) At the end of the day, a job is a job. Conte has been jobless for a fair bit. You go where the money is to make a living. It doesn’t make Conte seem desperate if he accepts the Spurs job. It doesn’t make him less ambitious. It doesn’t taint his legacy. For all you know, this might be his biggest achievement.

5) If Spurs really manages to snap up Conte, it really portrays our board’s priorities as a club. Trophies and accolades are secondary.

6) Ten Haag seems to be another caf favourite. Conte to Spurs simply does not mean that Ten Haag will join us. I’ve lost total faith in the board to do anything right on the recruiting front.

Having said all that, Conte rumours to Spurs seem to be getting stronger albeit unconfirmed. I really hope these rumours will pressure our board to pull the trigger.

Utd7

You just knew this would happen. At this point, I would think BIG and go for Enrique when Ole inevitably fails again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know, managers emerge every season - what if Potter wins the FA Cup or qualifies for Europe with Brighton? Or some unheard of German manager brings their club top four? Football moves very fast and Man Utd need to ensure they're well positioned to onboard the next top manager. Pep hasn't won the Champions League in ten years and is still widely regarded as the greatest.
Top managers do not emerge every seasons, look at the current batch they are all from almost a decade ago at the exception of Zidane. And my point was that the young talented managers have all moved this summer, all of them, it's highly unlikely that any of them would leave their clubs before 2023 unless they fail.

Highfather_24

So we have written this season off already, because we have Ole in charge, while the top managers in the world are at other clubs. Where's the guarantee we will sign someone good after Ole? Ten Hag might not want to come at a joke of a club like Pep/Klopp, and we might go for Rodgers. A lot of the big players will leave if we dont get top 4. What a waste of a great squad, on a amateur like Ole. Inept management of the club, absolute shambles.

Wilt

Wow! Conte is now 1/8 to take Spurs job.

We are fecked.

lsd

The Oracle
If Conte is smart and I'm sure he is he will leak he is interested in talking to Spurs to encourage United to make their decision on him quickly

TheGodsInRed

Timing is everything in football. I was hoping we would sack Ole and get Tuchel last year when we were really bad, but Chelsea beat us to it and sacked Lampard first.

Knowing us we will get spanked by City, Ole will go and they will realise there is no one available, so we get Bruce to the end of the season (Bruce fights hard for a well deserved 5th place and gets a three year deal).

Ixion

Imagine the scenario where Conte goes to Spurs this week then we lose to City on Saturday and Spurs beat Everton and go above us in the League.

CM

Some talk of Conte wanting an 18 month contract at Spurs. We'd be absolutely mad not to go for him if that's all he wants

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Imagine the scenario where Conte goes to Spurs this week then we lose to City on Saturday and Spurs beat Everton and go above us in the League.
Not much imagination needed here unfortunately.

Kaos

If Conte is smart and I'm sure he is he will leak he is interested in talking to Spurs to encourage United to make their decision on him quickly
Then he's wasting his time. Our inept board are convinced Ole at the wheel will lead us to illustrious 4th place.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just shows how incompetent we are top to bottom. Again, we told Conte to give us 3 games and if he can't wait for 3 games, then feck it.

I have no hope that we will sack Ole after City but still.

LARulz

Why do I feel the board are desperate for Poch? He is good but I really don't want him, he doesn't excite me as a manager. Also the only reason he'd be available again is if he fecks it up at PSG and that takes some serious skill to do

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Does Conte show interest in the Spurs job to get us pulling the trigger?

I hope there won't be a final decision on that before the weekend when we played City.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Why do I feel the board are desperate for Poch? He is good but I really don't want him, he doesn't excite me as a manager. Also the only reason he'd be available again is if he fecks it up at PSG and that takes some serious skill to do
Just like Tuchel, right?

RazorOz

Feels the oldest trick in the book from Conte's team. Leaking interest in the Tottenham job to encourage Utd to hurry up and sack Solskjaer.

Remember when Harry Redknapp was "on the verge of becoming Ukraine manager" which was code for encouraging QPR to sack their manager and appoint him.

If he turned them down in the summer, why would he suddenly want it now? Smells really fishy.

redshaw

Our club still favours Poch but even when he becomes available that doesn't mean they'll be decisive. Poch was waiting in the wings the last time Ole was on thin ice but the results picked up.

They see Poch as a better fit, respectful personality that Fergie approves of as well, if not Poch then someone similar for next season if Ole finishes this season poorly.

JustAGuest

This is the main ridiculous thought behind why we are still struggling while all our rivals have pulled miles ahead. We are waiting for that manager who is brilliant and will stay with us for 5+ years. Why not go for the best available one right now and see how it pans out. It's like this concept of going with the best and then taking things one step at a time is a completely alien concept.

You don't give up on a top employee in the hope you get someone who "may" stay with us longer.
What do you expect Conte to achieve? I think it's very unlikely he can seriously challenge City and Liverpool in the short term. Would a 3rd place with us being in this same position looking for another manager in 18 months be considered progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.