• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

The point is, why the feck would you go after Conte, who will feck off in 2 years time when someone like Ten Hag is attainable? Ten Hag ticks all the boxes yet our fans want another Mourinho special. Crazy

The point is, this short termist managers leave the team in a much worse condition as opposed to when they take other. Sure it works for team like Real or Chelsea, but I doubt our fanbase will approve us sliding in that direction.
So it works for the teams winning CLs but not for us?

This constant looking down on Chelsea is seriously mind numbing.

Revan

Assumptionman
The point is, why the feck would you go after Conte, who will feck off in 2 years time when someone like Ten Hag is attainable? Ten Hag ticks all the boxes yet our fans want another Mourinho special. Crazy
Because as a wise man said: the manager is to manage the squad, not a step dad for the fanbase. Conte can manage a team, and manage is very well. He also is available right now. He is likely a top 5 coach in the world, could go toe to toe with Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel.

ten Hag on the other hand is very much unproven, and as importantly, he is not available. If the club is really convinced that he is the solution, then by all means, sack Conte in the summer and hire him. I like the little I have seen of ten Hag, so I would be happy with him.

2 years, 2 good years is a lot in football. For example, it is precisely 2 more good years than the number of good years we had since Fergie left. If Conte gives us two good years, that would be the best thing that has happened to the club in a decade. We should wish for that, heck pray for that, not belittle that idea while fetishizing about a long-term imaginary manager.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I wonder why we are still buying World Class players after our experiences with Falcao and Di Maria? We should stick playing academy guys, who know and love the club!
McNair and Blackett just needed more time. Fans who wanted them gone are reactionary glory hunters. Or something like that.

Old Ma Crow

If Conte challenges the board to run the football side of things his way(as I believe Zidane would) I’m in. If the board want another yes man we’re fecked with the Glazers as owners.

Mcking

Here's an idea, we stop thinking long term and short term and just appoint the best manager we can that's available and go from there? Long term or short term positions are reliant on the individuals performance in the role, not a condition to hire someone based on.
I agree with this. Offer medium-term contracts, make it clear to the manager that we consider the squad a good one, and that he is expected to get the best out of it, and will be backed in anyway possible. If he is willing to take the job, then he would know what to expect when the team isn't doing well.

RUCK4444

You'd think a fanbase that went through Jose Mourinho's football would be wiser than this. But nope, I keep hearing the dreaded similarities again: "He is going to win us trophies" "He is going to make us defensively solid"

Lads, he will feck off in 2 years while leaving behind the likes of Ashley Young and Lukaku. And then we'll need another rebuild and 500 million pounds to be competitive again. Antonio can feck right off.
Bit blunt :lol: but this answers the OP with regard to what people’s concerns with Conte are.

Revan

Assumptionman
The issue with Conte is that the squad isn't suited for his preferred style and formation. Shaping it to his liking is just more investment in a different direction.
To be fair, he is tactically flexible and has tried many different formations. But even if we go with 5-3-2, it probably won't be too bad.

De Gea

Dalot/Lingard Lindelof Varane Maguire Shaw

Fred Pogba

Bruno

Ronaldo Rashford​

Nothing wrong with this formation, and totally suits our style of play. Greenwood is the only good player that gets benched from the current setup.

And we can make adjustments in the summer if Conte is not our cup of tea.

Caesar2290

So it works for the teams winning CLs but not for us?

This constant looking down on Chelsea is seriously mind numbing.
Chelsea are being looked down upon simply because they have a sugar daddy and they can afford to burn through cash. They have no soul or morals for that matter.

Traditional teams like United and Ajax are different. You need to win with a certain style. At Ajax you need to play attacking football or your own fans are going to boo you even if you win. At United you need to do so while creating stability and promoting youth. Neither which Conte is good at.

And speaking of teams that win the CL. Both Pool and City have proven that you don't need to change manager every 2 years to be successful. Why can't we emulate them?

FatTails

You mean just like Mourinho did?
He spent less time here than Ole, had more points per game, a better goal difference per game, two trophies, and Ole happily plays Fred, Pogba, and Lindelof who are some of Mou's transfers (Ibra, like Cavani, was a good short term transfer too).

I am not saying Mourinho was a fantastic success, but your hurt feelings at the end of his tenure don't justify rewriting history.

Mcking

The point is, this short termist managers leave the team in a much worse condition as opposed to when they take other. Sure it works for team like Real or Chelsea, but I doubt our fanbase will approve us sliding in that direction.
And if Ten Haag doesn't get off to a good start, then what?

PoTMS

Get Conte in with an 18 month contract. Give him two windows and see what he can do. Literally what Chelsea did and are reaping the rewards from it. Fears of him ripping up the team and starting again are unfounded.

Siorac

And we can make adjustments in the summer if Conte is not our cup of tea.
Here's the thing though. That's not how our club leadership operates. I absolutely agree with you that we should be more ruthless with managers - but you know we won't be if they look like meeting the minimum expectations. Which is why Conte is a huge risk.

Skills

Snitch
Chelsea are being looked down upon simply because they have a sugar daddy and they can afford to burn through cash. They have no soul or morals for that matter.

Traditional teams like United and Ajax are different. You need to win with a certain style. At Ajax you need to play attacking football or your own fans are going to boo you even if you win. At United you need to do so while creating stability and promoting youth. Neither which Conte is good at.

And speaking of teams that win the CL. Both Pool and City have proven that you don't need to change manager every 2 years to be successful. Why can't we emulate them?
Err because they just about happen to be 2 of the top 10 managers of all time?

EtH

Go speak to someone else. :lol:

There first season in the champions league was last season when Conte got them second after years of failure. Like I said 2011/2012.

If you don’t know your facts don’t criticise the man.
Google is your friend, pal.

RedStarUnited

Ask yourself, would you rather we stick to traditions and win nothing or we get a potential winner in.

Do people realise theres like a 12/18 month window left of this squad before it needs renewing right?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seriously Conte is just another Mourinho, only difference is Conte hasn't quite reached that 'no longer guarantees success' stage that Mourinho did when we hired him

When would Conte reach that stage? If we hired him that's when

Honestly feck off anyone who wants him, Ole has to go but not so we can bring in Conte. There has to be other/better options

tomaldinho1

I mean he’s vastly better than what we have but he’s hardly an ‘attacking’ manager.

Literally anyone who coaches an organised press and has worked in a top 5 league. I’d bite your hand for any of them because this team is stacked with quality.

Revan

Assumptionman

This excuse works only if they are spending more than us. Since SAF left (you know, the year we finished first, and they finished third) we have spent significantly more money than them in transfers and wages. Yet, they have won 1UCL and 2 league titles more than us.

Also, they have played better football than us in pretty much every season, bar perhaps 19-20 (on par), and the first half of last season.

So yes, more successful than us, playing far better football, and winning trophies. But, but, but, we are more traditional and stylish and insert bullshit word there.

Oranges038

Not a chance Conte should he be hired. He'd come in, make a load of demands and cry off when one of them wasn't met. He just looks for an excuse to have a meltdown.

The club should always be looking at the long term. So if Ole isn't the guy, then the next guy should be the one who is going to set the blueprint for how the club is to play. So that can be carried on and brought forward by the next one and the next one.

Conte is not the guy to set that blueprint.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
People have to remember that when Conte first started with us he didn’t play his now famous back 3 with flying wingbacks. We had to switch to that after some terrible results.

So it wouldn’t be 100% nailed on that he’d come in day 1 at United and completely switch the formation. He’ll have more talent there than at any point in his career so may think he can play 4-3-3 or something.

sp_107

It would be a massive roll of the dice to appoint Conte. He would likely stay for two seasons max and probably leave you in a state of real disruption when he goes. He’s probably the man who maximises your chance of short term
success though whilst Ronaldo is here.

He wont start Ronaldo as he only likes work horses and he might bring in 2 new CM's too. Issues with Ronaldo will do him here

Caesar2290

And if Ten Haag doesn't get off to a good start, then what?
And if Conte doesn't get off to a good start, then what?

Same. He gets the sack and we move to the next manager. No such things as certainties in life my friend. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to build our club in a certain way.

He spent less time here than Ole, had more points per game, a better goal difference per game, two trophies, and Ole happily plays Fred, Pogba, and Lindelof who are some of Mou's transfers (Ibra, like Cavani, was a good short term transfer too).

I am not saying Mourinho was a fantastic success, but your hurt feelings at the end of his tenure don't justify rewriting history.
Nobody is rewriting the history. Mourinho was brought in to bring home the big trophies: ie the Premi and CL. He failed miserably at both. All this points bollocks is absolutely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. SAF won the Treble with 79 points.

For all the money he spent Mou was a complete failure here. So much so that people think that Ole not being toxic is somehow a huge acheivement.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He wont start Ronaldo as he only likes work horses and he might bring in 2 new CM's too. Issues with Ronaldo will do him here
That's my only issue with him. If he can make Ronaldo play , I'm good with him. Zidane would be an obvious choice, given they have worked well in the past.

Mcking

Not a chance Conte should he be hired. He'd come in, make a load of demands and cry off when one of them wasn't met. He just looks for an excuse to have a meltdown.

The club should always be looking at the long term. So if Ole isn't the guy, then the next guy should be the one who is going to set the blueprint for how the club is to play. So that can be carried on and brought forward by the next one and the next one.

Conte is not the guy to set that blueprint.
What about the manager setting the blueprint, what if the results aren't good enough straightaway, how long do we give him?

Revan

Assumptionman
Here's the thing though. That's not how our club leadership operates. I absolutely agree with you that we should be more ruthless with managers - but you know we won't be if they look like meeting the minimum expectations. Which is why Conte is a huge risk.
And that is precisely the issue. Heck, I can forgive the club for making shit appointments, all clubs including Barca, Real, Bayern have them from time to time. But I cannot forgive them for persisting with shit appointments. For example, Moyes should have been sacked in October, LVG around December on his second season (if not at the end of his first one), Mourinho at the end of his second season, Ole not become a permanent and if become, get sacked on Christmas or end of his second season, also at the end of third season.

This should change. If you are not performing, thanks and bye.

Performing does not necessarily mean trophies immediately. Often, the squad needs some time, or components (though right now we have a squad to compete). But it needs to be serious progress in the pitch, something that has not happened under Ole. For example. Liverpool were struggling with Klopp in the beginning, but when they were clicking, they were great to watch so it was clear that it is a matter of time. When we clicked under Ole, well, we never did, to be fair. Anyone with half a brain could have told you how this is gonna end.

So yeah, feck the manager if he is not performing. He is a high-ranking employee at the club, and he serves the club. Not the other way around. feck him also if he is performing, if there is some other candidate which is better for the club. LvG probably was ok on his first season, but then Klopp became available. Why on Earth persist with LvG instead of going for Klopp? Similar, Ole might not have been a dead-man walking last season, but the moment Tuchel was available, why Ole is still the manager?

U99ted

You'd think a fanbase that went through Jose Mourinho's football would be wiser than this. But nope, I keep hearing the dreaded similarities again: "He is going to win us trophies" "He is going to make us defensively solid"

Lads, he will feck off in 2 years while leaving behind the likes of Ashley Young and Lukaku. And then we'll need another rebuild and 500 million pounds to be competitive again. Antonio can feck right off.
Chelsea's fanbase went through Mourinho's football, with JM leaving them in 15th. Conte won the league the next season.

FatTails

I keep hearing about traditions and long term managers, but somehow that didn't apply to O'Farrell and Wilf, who each lasted 18 months in the job, not too dissimilar from what you see Watford or Chelsea doing these days. Or how about when Atkinson was sacked to make way for Alex Ferguson although Atkinson was our most successful manager post-Busby?

It is a made up idea that doesn't exist. We've had two managers that were here for a disproportionately long time (SAF and Busby) because they were great and were here for a long time because they proved that they deserved that. Outside these two, our managerial history is not too dissimilar to other clubs. The circle-jerk about us being so different and special needs to stop.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's not the only consideration. It's more about style of play and how we want this team and future teams to perform. I suspect most people want a modern progressive football team. Conte won't offer that. With regards to long-term, I don't think it's a requirement, but with Conte we know it's not even possible. He's another Mourinho.

EtH

This is going to be good. Okay go on explain yourself self. Two seasons? Name them.
Sure, I’ll explain. You obviously weren’t aware Inter were in the CL and went out in the group stage in 2019 when they came second in Serie A.

Your mistake.

Siorac

And that is precisely the issue. Heck, I can forgive the club for making shit appointments, all clubs including Barca, Real, Bayern have them from time to time. But I cannot forgive them for persisting with shit appointments. For example, Moyes should have been sacked in October, LVG around December on his second season (if not at the end of his first one), Mourinho at the end of his second season, Ole not become a permanent and if become, get sacked on Christmas or end of his second season, also at the end of third season.

This should change. If you are not performing, thanks and bye.

Performing does not necessarily mean trophies immediately. Often, the squad needs some time, or components (though right now we have a squad to compete). But it needs to be serious progress in the pitch, something that has not happened under Ole. For example. Liverpool were struggling with Klopp in the beginning, but when they were clicking, they were great to watch so it was clear that it is a matter of time. When we clicked under Ole, well, we never did, to be fair. Anyone with half a brain could have told you how this is gonna end.

So yeah, feck the manager if he is not performing. He is a high-ranking employee at the club, and he serves the club. Not the other way around. feck him also if he is performing, if there is some other candidate which is better for the club. LvG probably was ok on his first season, but then Klopp became available. Why on Earth persist with LvG instead of going for Klopp? Similar, Ole might not have been a dead-man walking last season, but the moment Tuchel was available, why Ole is still the manager?
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

I just really want us to try Ten Haag to be honest. He'd be our first actual forward-thinking, progressive appointment since 1986. A gamble, sure, but at least one with great potential upside.

Mcking

And if Conte doesn't get off to a good start, then what?

Same. He gets the sack and we move to the next manager. No such things as certainties in life my friend. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to build our club in a certain way.

Nobody is rewriting the history. Mourinho was brought in to bring home the big trophies: ie the Premi and CL. He failed miserably at both. All this points bollocks is absolutely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. SAF won the Treble with 79 points.

For all the money he spent Mou was a complete failure here. So much so that people think that Ole not being toxic is somehow a huge acheivement.
Yes, if Conte doesn't get off to a good start, we sack him and get another manager. Mourinho didn't fail miserably relatively to Ole for example, our mistake was that he stayed much longer than he should have. We have made the same mistake with Solskjaer now, and I could see the same happening with Ten Haag.

Nothing is guaranteed in life as you said, that is why it is completely naive to think every manager would come good if giving time. What if he doesn't come good? Would be years wasted. That system is much more damaging than rewarding managers based on their results.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Oh man, I love your posts with regard to the cult of the manager. It is a fecking disease and one of the main reasons (in addition to the incompetent board) for the shambles we have been these years.
You two need to realize that the board will make a decision on the next manager independent of what the fanbase thinks, so any discussion here of Conte's merits is pointless, and any suggestions to get a therapist for daddy issues are infinitely more pointless

Caesar2290

Ask yourself, would you rather we stick to traditions and win nothing or we get a potential winner in.

Do people realise theres like a 12/18 month window left of this squad before it needs renewing right?
Why does it have to be mutually exclussive? Sir Alex has shown that. Klopp has shown that. Even Spurs have show that getting a successful manager who will be here long term(as long as you back him) is more beneficial than chopping and changing every 2 years.

Chelsea's fanbase went through Mourinho's football, with JM leaving them in 15th. Conte won the league the next season.
Conte won it because there was a power vaccum at the time. There was no peak Pep, Tuchel and Klopp in the league. The second season he finished below Jose in 4th.

Something tells me that this time around he isn't going to fare much better.

Nothing is guaranteed in life as you said, that is why it is completely naive to think every manager would come good if giving time. What if he doesn't come good? Would be years wasted. That system is much more damaging than rewarding managers based on their results.
I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that we should prioritise an attacking manager over a defensive one. If he gets sacked, at least we will be entrtained as fans. For the first time since SAF we will get to experience what an attacking team looks like.

Also Ten Hag and Solskjaer are in different stratospheres. I would definitely give Ten Hag and extra year to implement his style(not that he needs) because of his exploits at Ajax over the fact that Ole was afforded this time because he was a club legend and he will become good. One is bae

It's not about traditions mate. We've went against our traditions every single time. The United or should I say Sir Alex tradition is attacking play. We've yet to have an attacking manager. The Ole gets the United DNA is PR bogus designed for gullible fans so they can back him on emotions rather than results.

Conte however is not a good fit simply because he plays defensive football, he doesn't promote youth enough and considering the amount of talented youngsters in our academy he could a lot of harm in this department and his European record for a top coach is absolute wank.

Everyone talks about proven winner Conte. Let's see how everyone is going to sing when we'll be in the Europa League again next year.

passing-wind

That's not the only consideration. It's more about style of play and how we want this team and future teams to perform. I suspect most people want a modern progressive football team. Conte won't offer that. With regards to long-term, I don't think it's a requirement, but with Conte we know it's not even possible. He's another Mourinho.
This is what I don't understand Conte's team play a much better standard of football compared to Ole's and the coaches currently at United. I think it's such a lazy argument, even if statistics show Solskjaers team has had more possession, the team are not effective on the ball which makes such a point redundant.

Conte wouldn't be my first choice but when you consider how bad this season can potentially be, it's hardly the worst option. If the DOF is supposedly in effect he should dictate the terms of player purchases and a midfielder transferred on his regard. Conte on a 1-2 year deal and using this squad is far more robust then seeing how Solskjaer fairs.

lsd

The Oracle
Anyone who thinks Conte is another Mourinho is seriously deluded

Revan

Assumptionman
You two need to realize that the board will make a decision on the next manager independent of what the fanbase thinks, so any discussion here of Conte's merits is pointless, and any suggestions to get a therapist for daddy issues are infinitely more pointless
That is not completely true. The board checks fans' opinions, we have proof of it from last year. If fans would have been going batshit crazy as Madrid or Barca fans go, he would be out tonight.

Skills

Snitch
Oh man, I love your posts with regard to the cult of the manager. It is a fecking disease and one of the main reasons (in addition to the incompetent board) for the shambles we have been these years.
MAGA, Brexiteers, Antivaxxers, Flat Earthers & our Managerial cult - all from the same pod of nutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.