Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky Targaryen

City - Pep
Liverpool - Klopp
Chelsea - Tuchel
Spurs - Conte

United - Would you take Potter? ...

Do you see a common theme in the managers in the above 4 clubs? Granted, I don't know much about Potter and he may be a success at another club down the road. If he starts winning trophies and building up his CV in the future, then the club should consider hiring him then. I certainly don't think he deserves a job at a giant club at United right now just because he got Brighton playing better.

We got to stop experimenting on managers with potential and aim higher. Would any of the above clubs (aside from Spurs) willing to take a punt on Potter? We are a top club and top clubs hire top managers with top CVs. And no, don't tell me to go support other clubs.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
At this stage, I'd take Potter as an interim solution. We've hit rock bottom. What else is there to lose apart from the massive pay-out Ole will get?

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
At this stage, I'd take Potter as an interim solution. We've hit rock bottom. What else is there to lose apart from the massive pay-out Ole will get?
Is this rock bottom?

At times this forum is more depressing than the annual conference of self-flagellants must have been in the middle ages.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Is this rock bottom?

At times this forum is more depressing than the annual conference of self-flagellants must have been in the middle ages.
Rock bottom for a club like United who for all intents and purposes should be mounting a title challenge this season or winning a trophy, both of which I’m pretty sure won’t happen.

In the larger scheme of things and from an existential point of view we are obviously no where near rock bottom. Just an expansively assembled squad with no direction under a clueless manager.

reddevilz007

City - Pep
Liverpool - Klopp
Chelsea - Tuchel
Spurs - Conte

United - Would you take Potter? ...

Do you see a common theme in the managers in the above 4 clubs? Granted, I don't know much about Potter and he may be a success at another club down the road. If he starts winning trophies and building up his CV in the future, then the club should consider hiring him then. I certainly don't think he deserves a job at a giant club at United right now just because he got Brighton playing better.

We got to stop experimenting on managers with potential and aim higher. Would any of the above clubs (aside from Spurs) willing to take a punt on Potter? We are a top club and top clubs hire top managers with top CVs. And no, don't tell me to go support other clubs.
We did have Van Gaal and Mourinho.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why on earth would Potter accept being an interim coach?

padzilla

Hipster
How dare anyone criticise Ole Gunnar Southgate, I'm a top Red because I go to games and hoover up the merchandise, if you don't like it go and support Chelsea.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Is this a parody post? He was working with a squad barely Championship level.
Is this a parody post? Brighton's squad is well above championship level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why the feck has the majority in the poll voted Yes? Standards have really fallen.
We have OGS as manager. The standards really cant fall below that. Almost any other manager in the league will be a step up.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It really wasnt. Its funny how a good manager makes his squad look, isnt it?
Actually Potter underperformed last year. To have a squad with Bissouma, Dunk, White and Trossard in it I could name more that you would expect to be mid table, to finish 16th in a relegation fight was below what was expected, our squad last season and this should be in the 8-12 positions given the players we have.

Don't get me wrong I think Potter is a fantastic coach and possibly the best English coach around at the moment and I am over the moon he is at Brighton, but this team stayed up in the prem for 2 seasons under Chris Hughton, last season we underperformed, this season we're overperforming, but if we don't finish mid table, then it will be another let down.

Some of the posts in this thread suggesting Ole's Cardiff squad and Potter's Brighton squad were effectively the same and the only difference was the manager's ability could not be further from the truth.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Actually Potter underperformed last year. To have a squad with Bissouma, Dunk, White and Trossard in it I could name more that you would expect to be mid table.
Eh? Name me one club with a worse squad last season who you think you should have finished above? At a stretch Newcastle but even their star spine was of better quality with more in depth.

Also Brighton were actually a lot better than what the points reflected. You could see what Potter was implementing in the longer term and the XG stats were indicative of something good brewing at the club pretty much all season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Actually Potter underperformed last year. To have a squad with Bissouma, Dunk, White and Trossard in it I could name more that you would expect to be mid table, to finish 16th in a relegation fight was below what was expected, our squad last season and this should be in the 8-12 positions given the players we have.

Don't get me wrong I think Potter is a fantastic coach and possibly the best English coach around at the moment and I am over the moon he is at Brighton, but this team stayed up in the prem for 2 seasons under Chris Hughton, last season we underperformed, this season we're overperforming, but if we don't finish mid table, then it will be another let down.

Some of the posts in this thread suggesting Ole's Cardiff squad and Potter's Brighton squad were effectively the same and the only difference was the manager's ability could not be further from the truth.
I mean it’s classic Caf: an actual Brighton fan is providing some nuance but because he’s a bit flavour of the month, posters are ignoring that and going overboard

reddevilz007

Does it mean we shouldn't hire serial winners anymore?
Your point was we shouldnt be experimenting with anyone new anymore.
The facts are we hired 2 new and 2 veterans, none of which reached the success we are looking for.

Zidane and Pep were at their first rodeo, and won a lot respectively during their first stint with the big club. You can argue both had very strong squads to start with.

But looking at our squad’s talent right now, it is probably the strongest and deepest we ever had since the SAF era. An up-and-comer might be able to get the best out of them, or not.

Klopp resigned from Mainz who was relegated at the time and couldn’t even manage to get promoted back, and was still hired by Dortmund. I’d say that’s an even bigger risk for Dortmund than us hiring Moyes or Ole. The rest is history.

Point is, new or veteran, neither guarantees success.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Eh? Name me one club with a worse squad last season who you think you should have finished above? At a stretch Newcastle but even their star spine was of better quality with more in depth.
It's subjective but I expected us to do better than Southampton, Newcastle, Palace and possibly Leeds (though they massively over performed)

Also Brighton were actually a lot better than what the points reflected. You could see what Potter was implementing in the longer term and the XG stats were indicative of something good brewing at the club pretty much all season.
That's the point, Brighton did not have as you put it, a barely championship level squad last season, they had a good squad that should have done better than 16th and yes I like Potter as I've said multiple times, you can see what he is doing, but last season his squad failed to do what was expected of them, and that is a bit of a failure compared to this season where we're overperforming which is brilliant.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean it’s classic Caf: an actual Brighton fan is providing some nuance but because he’s a bit flavour of the month, posters are ignoring that and going overboard
We really aren't. Brighton actually played some terrific football relative to their squad standard and were extremely unfortunate not to be higher if not for some better taking of chances. Their XG scored and conceded was very good and not reflective of their final position.

What was expected was that the misfortune was unsustainable and Potters work will eventually show in sustained results. We are seeing this more now.

And as I said before, with their squad they had no right really finishing any higher than they did. When Hughton was sacked it was massively renouned as championship quality and the turnaround Potter has made in playing style and quality of performances has been very impressive.

There are 3 season ticket holders I know at work sharing this view, so a token Brighton fan being flavour of the month doesnt make his point a bibical one. Anyone who watched Brighton in the past knows they've been much improved and if anything, unfortunate.

I would like you to point out where I have gone overboard, too.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's subjective but I expected us to do better than Southampton, Newcastle, Palace and possibly Leeds (though they massively over performed)
Newcastle aside, the Brighton squad quality doesnt come as close to those teams. They are certainly not more talented. It just shows the work Potter did compared to where Brighton were to show where he got you. The likes of Veltman, Duffy, Bissouma were much more unknown quantities than what weve seen under Potter.
That's the point, Brighton did not have as you put it, a barely championship level squad last season, they had a good squad that should have done better than 16th and yes I like Potter as I've said multiple times, you can see what he is doing, but last season his squad failed to do what was expected of them, and that is a bit of a failure compared to this season where we're overperforming which is brilliant.
You're actually performing more or less the same, except the players are taking their chances more now. Last season Potter had one of the best expected goals and one of the lesser goals conceded but the players were wasteful. Of course these things were always going to be temporary and their value shows today.

Most managers implementing a strong well coached system will stutter in league position initially. Pep, Klopp, Poch all did too. Thing is, Brighton is a club who under any average manager, would be relegated post Hughton. The squad Potter inherited was truly Championship or just slightly above Championship level..which was my original point.

Wilt

Well I hope he brings his Owl and his fecking magic wand ….because he’ll definitely need them.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It really wasnt. Its funny how a good manager makes his squad look, isnt it?
He's never won anything. Never been at a big club. Never managed elite players. Never experienced the CL.

And you want to give him the Utd job? I'm glad you're not in charge. Just because Ole isnt the answer doesn't mean we panic and go for another guy who isn't proven whatsoever either.

Talk about going from one hopeless situation to another. Potter isn't going to topple the big 3 coaches so what's the point?

Personally think we will wait for someone who does tick more of those boxes. I'd really like Ten Hag. Barca seem to be heading towards Xavi so there's a great opportunity in the summer for us.

NoPace

It's more that you can see what he's trying to do. His players appear to have a clear goal in mind, he's not really wasting any talent and the skilled players like Cucarella, Trossard, Bissouma and Lamptey have done well, and that's exclusively what he'd be working with here. And while Brighton have some talent, they also have things like Dan Burn playing weekly and Pascal Gross deep in midfield going on.

When you watch Prem games, the teams at clubs outside the top 7 who look like they're well drilled and have a style that could work at a bigger club are basically Leeds, Brighton and then Everton if you don't mind Benitez being defensive and then they're not playing well at all but maybe Southampton because we've seen a 4-2-2-2 and Bundesliga-made pressing work well in the Prem. Too early to say with Brentford.

Hughton is a good defensive coach but it wasn't great to watch. Brighton look totally different these days.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Newcastle aside, the Brighton squad quality doesnt come as close to those teams. They are certainly not more talented. It just shows the work Potter did compared to where Brighton were to show where he got you. The likes of Veltman, Duffy, Bissouma were much more unknown quantities than what weve seen under Potter.
I'm not sure what you mean here, do you mean they're better players under Potter than they were under Hughton? or that they're better this season than last? Either way it's inaccurate and the truth is much more nuanced than that.

You're actually performing more or less the same, except the players are taking their chances more now. Last season Potter had one of the best expected goals and one of the lesser goals conceded but the players were wasteful. Of course these things were always going to be temporary and their value shows today.
Funny how people are prepared to exonerate the manager when it is someone they like and blame the players, but this season when it is all working it is credit to the manager. Potter is a great manager and I'd hate to see him go, but again I would suggest the reality is much more nuanced than you're suggesting.

Most managers implementing a strong well coached system will stutter in league position initially. Pep, Klopp, Poch all did too. Thing is, Brighton is a club who under any average manager, would be relegated post Hughton.
Thanks for this great insight Nostradamus.

Look you clearly know Brighton better than me, our success is all down to Potter, and nothing to do with Barber, Ashworth or Bloom. Our squad is barely championship level, so we should count our lucky stars we're in the top half of the premiership table.

Mickson

He's never won anything. Never been at a big club. Never managed elite players. Never experienced the CL.

And you want to give him the Utd job? I'm glad you're not in charge. Just because Ole isnt the answer doesn't mean we panic and go for another guy who isn't proven whatsoever either.

Talk about going from one hopeless situation to another. Potter isn't going to topple the big 3 coaches so what's the point?

Personally think we will wait for someone who does tick more of those boxes. I'd really like Ten Hag. Barca seem to be heading towards Xavi so there's a great opportunity in the summer for us.
He has managed in the Premier League and Europa League, that's good enough for me since he's ten times the manager that Ole is, no doubt.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Personally think we will wait for someone who does tick more of those boxes. I'd really like Ten Hag. Barca seem to be hearing towards Xavi so there's a great opportunity in the summer for us.
See here you're just arbitrarily typing BS by liking Ten Hag because he won the dutch league but not respecting Potter because he can't win cups with a team that would at best, survive the league. If Ten Hag was a manager who would win cups with. Brighton level team maybe you have half a leg to stand on.

Potter can only operate with the hands he is dealt. But hes operated that with aplomb.

And if you are actually suggesting to me that not many people would take Potter over Ole and both are comparatively hopeless situations then there is no helping you.

I rate Potter by the way but he is not my first choice. I would rather Ten Hag or Poch but I know Potter is a very good manager, its obvious. Just like when Poch was obviously a good manager in his Southampton days.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He has managed in the Premier League and Europa League, that's good enough for me since he's ten times the manager that Ole is, no doubt.
Oh great. That definitely qualifies him then, right? Another 3 year project?

I think you lot just want Ole out so badly you're literally panicking. I think Ole needs to go now as he's not the answer but I want a top class experienced coach at this level to replace him. Not Graham fecking Potter.

Hypocrisy at its finest from the Potter in fans. He's nowhere near ready for a job of this magnitude.

Mickson

Oh great. That definitely qualifies him then, right? Another 3 year project?

I think you lot just want Ole out so badly you're literally panicking. I think Ole needs to go now as he's not the answer but I want a top class experienced coach at this level to replace him. Not Graham fecking Potter.

Hypocrisy at its finest from the Potter in fans. He's nowhere near ready for a job of this magnitude.
That may be true, that may be untrue. The question is how do you know that?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
See here you're just arbitrarily typing BS by liking Ten Hag because he won the dutch league but not respecting Potter because he can't win cups with a team that would at best, survive the league. If Ten Hag was a manager who would win cups with. Brighton level team maybe you have half a leg to stand on.

Potter can only operate with the hands he is dealt. But hes operated that with aplomb.

And if you are actually suggesting to me that not many people would take Potter over Ole and both are comparatively hopeless situations then there is no helping you.
No offence but this coming from the guy who consistently defends Paul Pogba means very little to me.

Did you see him last night again, fannying around in the box and nearly costing us a goal.

Anyway back on point. Graham Potter might be a better coach than Ole but he's not going to be the answer for us. He's not ready for this job. It would destroy him.

Ten Hag or Poch in the summer is what I'm thinking now. You can't argue that Potter is more qualified than either.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That may be true, that may be untrue. The question is how do you know that?
Because it's blatantly obvious. Would city hire him to replace Pep when he leaves? No.

Will Liverpool? No. Will Chelsea? No.

The Utd job is a hot bed. It's a very very difficult job and he's nowhere near ready in my opinion.

It's not going to happen anyway.

TrueRed79

No, no and no. Maybe he could take over a bigger club than Brighton first, ya know. The way we are run anything is possible though. For me it's an easy pass.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No offence but this coming from the guy who consistently defends Paul Pogba means very little to me.

Did you see him last night again, fannying around in the box and nearly costing us a goal.

Anyway back on point. Graham Potter might be a better coach than Ole but he's not going to be the answer for us. He's not ready for this job. It would destroy him.

Ten Hag or Poch in the summer is what I'm thinking now. You can't argue that Potter is more qualified than either.
If you read my posts yohl know I am far from a defender of Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.