• Yes

Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbite

Do people realize that Potter has 28.6% win rate in 98 games with Brighton?

Sure that might be good enough for Brighton and Potter might become a good mid-table manager, but why do you think he is ever going to be a world class manager like Pep or Klopp?

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
No way we'll even try and get him unfortunately. Once Ole inevitably get's sacked, the board will try and find a "sure bet" and hire someone uninspiring like Zidane.

Ten Hag will be at City, Marco Rose at Liverpool and Potter will probably end up at Arsenal or Tottenham (after Conte has blown his bridges) and we'll all be like: "why can't we ever find a young talented coach?"

Skills

Snitch

Sure that might be good enough for Brighton and Potter might become a good mid-table manager, but why do you think he is ever going to be a world class manager like Pep or Klopp?
What kind of win rate do you expect from someone managing Brighton?

Dan_F

I don't agree with the 'He needs a another step' line.

The top two coaches people go about on here are Zidane, Conte, who both got their big breaks at clubs due to nepotism. Zidane was managing the Madrid B team and Conte had struggled prior to getting the Juve gig, where he was sacked several times before Agnelli gave him a chance due to his past association with the club. If we hired Conte at the time, the narrative would've been 'the guy who relegated Atalanta'
They’re not the best examples in my opinion. They both had extremely high level playing careers, which would help to command respect in a dressing room. Zidane tells you to do something and you’re just going to do it. Potter, I guess he’s had no issues so far with this, but it’s a massive risk for a club like United to assume it will work.

reelworld

I don't get where this idea that our squad of all squads would be so unwilling to listen to a manager who isn't a big name comes from. They've just spent three years under someone with no real pedigree as a manager and have been relatively supportive of him throughout. They're not that egotistical a bunch.
how much do you think Ole playing career and **** status on the club played much into the support the big name players give him?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
how much do you think Ole playing career and **** status on the club played much into the support the big name players give him?
Not that much, I think. It's not like he was superstar player, he is more of a **** icon that players who didn't grow-up supporting United wouldn't be particularly in awe of. Besides, we've seen bad managers with big reputations as players rapidly lose dressing rooms before. Whatever aura there is quickly disappears when actually managing the team kicks in, I think. Then it's about what they're actually doing day-to-day.

The reason Solskjaer has kept the players on board is that he is by pretty much all accounts a very good man manager. Think that matters a lot more to our players than him scoring a CL final goal 22 years ago, before some of them were even born.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Would you take Howe if Potter was to leave?

Transfers is where I'd like a change in approach at the club. I'd prefer a training ground manager, rather than a recruitment focused one. Hopefully, the next change we do make means the managers role in recruitment is limited.
Really not sure about Howe, everything about him says he would be fine, but after Potter I feel we've been spoilt at Brighton and I'd prefer someone more progressive.

Last edited:

KingCavani

I'd possibly take Howe

Really not sure about Howe, everything about him says he would be fine, but after Potter I feel we've been spoilt at Brighton and I'd prefer someone more progressive.
Howe is genuine garbage.

People don’t realise how much money he wased at Bournemouth. Held them back in the end.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Howe is genuine garbage.

People don’t realise how much money he wased at Bournemouth. Held them back in the end.
There was quite a bit of crap, but some very good ones in there as well

Ake, Mings, Brooks, Begovic and of course Glenn Murray!

Also any one that takes a tiny club like Bournemouth from league 1 to the premiership is far from garbage.

padzilla

Hipster
I feel Howe and Potter might just need to impress in another bigger job before taking on the United job. We saw what happened with Moyes when we gave the job to a steady eddie type who consistently did well with a club that had lower expectations.

Oldyella

I feel Howe and Potter might just need to impress in another bigger job before taking on the United job. We saw what happened with Moyes when we gave the job to a steady eddie type who consistently did well with a club that had lower expectations.
Everton were a big club who many would consider a stepping stone now. So how would Potter taking another job help him when it didn't help Moyes at all.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Right now, we are managed by guy who jumped straight in from Molde. He actually had a stepping stone stint in Cardiff, in which he failed miserably, yet he still got appointed.

Holding it against other, classier managers, is ridiculous.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It has everything to do with it. Walking into Old Trafford from Bournemouth (Howe) or Brighton (Potter) is one hell of a step up.

Not as simple as 'he's a decent coach, he will do'.

Potter would drown here under the expectation. He's nowhere near ready for this job. Look what it did to Moyes, LVG and Jose for example.

One day he might be an option but not yet.
You don't know that unless you know Potter. Would you say Ole has drowned? LVG and Jose failed for other reasons unless you're suggesting they can manage the pressure of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc but not here, whereas Solskjaer, the ex Cardiff and Molde manager can.

Besides, I don't think that was your point re Howe. You were implying Potter was flavour of the month like Howe was with a few posters on here.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Right now, we are managed by guy who jumped straight in from Molde. He actually had a stepping stone stint in Cardiff, in which he failed miserably, yet he still got appointed.

Holding it against other, classier managers, is ridiculous.
Why is Potter any more classier than Ole? No need to throw personal insults around about Ole now.

Potter is getting plaudits and rightly so, but let's see what happens rather than him doing well for Brighton at the moment, if it continues, then talk. But look at what's happened to Howe. He was linked with Arsenal and England after doing so well at Bournemouth. Now no club has touched him after sacking managers, Tottenham, Watford, just to name a couple.

Wilt

No we don’t take Potter.

Yes he’s doing well with Brighton, but compared to managing a club the size of Manchester United is like jumping out of a Ford and into a Ferrari.

Potter needs to show far more at a higher level before being considered.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Why is Potter any more classier than Ole? No need to throw personal insults around about Ole now.

Potter is getting plaudits and rightly so, but let's see what happens rather than him doing well for Brighton at the moment, if it continues, then talk. But look at what's happened to Howe. He was linked with Arsenal and England after doing so well at Bournemouth. Now no club has touched him after sacking managers, Tottenham, Watford, just to name a couple.
I meant manager of higher class in terms of quality. Not sure if I could say it that way in English though. And Potters' achievements compared to Ole's definitely show that he is few classes above. He was better in Scandinavia, Premiership and Championship.

sugar_kane

Crikey, and that's with the solid start they've made this season.

Everyone clamouring over Potter is just symptomatic of the Caf having a complete meltdown these past couple of months.

He may end up proving himself at the top level, but I wouldn't want us to be the club that takes the gamble.

Before anyone bleats about Ole/Molde/Cardiff/blahblah I'm not interested. Fact is whether you believe he originally deserved the role or not, the deed is done and he now has three years of managing Man United on his CV which makes him more experienced at the top level than Potter.

Idxomer

Before anyone bleats about Ole/Molde/Cardiff/blahblah I'm not interested. Fact is whether you believe he originally deserved the role or not, the deed is done and he now has three years of managing Man United on his CV which makes him more experienced at the top level than Potter.
Lack of experience is the least of Ole's problems.

Lecland07

Klopp had a win record of 40.4% with Mainz, but that is including being in Bundesliga 2. Klopp's win percentage during his time in the Bundesliga with Mainz was 28.33%, which would have ruled him out for a job for Manchester United, in that case.

Win percentage ignores a lot of factors, though. Last season, Brighton should have reached a much higher points total, but their finishers really let them down. Can you hold that against the manager that his forwards are underwhelming? The team created plenty of chances, actually being 10th in terms of xG, but they finished 15th in terms of goals scored.

They should have really finished much higher up the table, especially with being 3rd in xGA, and being 7th in terms of goals conceded in 20/21. And they did all that without playing defensive football. The improvements are massive at Brighton, and win percentage just hides too much of it to be useful alone. This gives it quite a lot of context, really.

Lecland07

Crikey, and that's with the solid start they've made this season.

Everyone clamouring over Potter is just symptomatic of the Caf having a complete meltdown these past couple of months.

He may end up proving himself at the top level, but I wouldn't want us to be the club that takes the gamble.

People make too much of a deal out of experience at the top level. There are many managers that have more experience at the top level, but it doesn't mean it is good. A person could manage a top team and lose every game. Does that mean he is better because he has experience at a top club? No, what it shows is that experience is an overrated thing without taking into account performances and results.

The top bit (I put it in another post), but Klopp only had a win percentage of 28.33% at Mainz in the Bundesliga. I don't really know what you are expecting at these clubs, to be honest. You are asking someone to go into the realms of impossibility if you want expect more than what Potter has given Brighton.

Win percentage is also a pretty empty stat without context. e.g. last season they should have won far more, but their forwards were really poor for finishing. Performance-wise they were excellent and way beyond what you would expect of Brighton.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Sviken

At this point I'm all in for Potter. Give him the job. He can't be worse than Ole. I'd rather take the risk with Potter and Ten Hag than slog through the same old with Poch and Rodgers.

Abraxas

It has everything to do with it. Walking into Old Trafford from Bournemouth (Howe) or Brighton (Potter) is one hell of a step up.

Not as simple as 'he's a decent coach, he will do'.

Potter would drown here under the expectation. He's nowhere near ready for this job. Look what it did to Moyes, LVG and Jose for example.

One day he might be an option but not yet.
To say he would drown is baseless. Why would he?

Every manager, every player that ever takes a step up to a massive club has a point at which they take a big leap. Nobody would ever be able to take a big step up if they were incapable by virtue of a limited experience base. It's more about ability and personality.

I would say it would be nice to see him in the PL longer, even if it's with Brighton. Just to get a handle on his transfers over a longer period, albeit on a shoe string. Because that really can make or break a United manager. Also to see if he can keep them at the current level or thereabouts consistently, and that they don't drop off as here you have to be consistent.

Beyond that I don't think much more needs to be done, there is no easy transition. If we wait for Arsenal or somebody to take the risk then it'll be them that potentially get the payoff, and our chances of getting him are minimal at a club like that. If he goes to a mid table side with a higher budget you'll still say the same thing, it's a massive step to Man Utd. So it's way more about longevity of success than the step up IMO.

Highfather_24

At this point I'm all in for Potter. Give him the job. He can't be worse than Ole. I'd rather take the risk with Potter and Ten Hag than slog through the same old with Poch and Rodgers.
Yeah, same. I would take Potter over Ole, but I'm not expecting him to come here and mount a title challenge immediately. That ship has sailed imo.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Eh. His team's play nice stuff but he doesn't seem like a winner to me. Bit of a Hasenhuttl I suspect. Still, could be worth a gamble if we've no better ideas.

KingCavani

There was quite a bit of crap, but some very good ones in there as well

Ake, Mings, Brooks, Begovic and of course Glenn Murray!

Also any one that takes a tiny club like Bournemouth from league 1 to the premiership is far from garbage.
A tiny club that had money. There was nothing miraculous about it. That was all PR. They spent their way to the PL and would still be there if Howe spent better.

He made some astute signings for very little but when he spent big it was a disaster. Begovic for £10m was hardly great.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/bournemouth/english-football-teams/bournemouth-transfers

Look at that. Debacle.

Big Andy

Bloke
Graham Potter. fecking hell.

The man is about as unproven as Ole was. He'll be another Eddie Howe, talked up on the back of a good season, then disappears pretty soon after.

And he's called graham. Have you ever heard of anyone successful called Graham ffs. Most Graham's have daft beards, BO and no social skills.

Graham.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Graham Potter. fecking hell.

The man is about as unproven as Ole was. He'll be another Eddie Howe, talked up on the back of a good season, then disappears pretty soon after.

And he's called graham. Have you ever heard of anyone successful called Graham ffs. Most Graham's have daft beards, BO and no social skills.

Graham.
Graham Gooch innit

Teja

They could've been so much better last season if they just took their chances. Look at the expected goals table and the volume of chances they create. They're right below the big 6/7 + Villa + Westham (and above Everton) for last season.

3rd in xGA last season as well. Should've been a lot higher up the table.

frostbite

Good point. Bet Bayern and Real wish he did, though. And someone like Hansi Flick? Managed Hoffenheim and then spent fifteen years as an assistent.

Only because we remember the successful managers and we forget the dozens of 28% managers who disappear and nobody mentions them any more.

A top club hiring a 28% manager usually leads to nothing. A top club hiring an ex-player, nine times out of ten leads to Ole, Giggs, Lampard, Pirlo ... rarely leads to Pep, but 10 years from now we will remember Pep and not Lampard.

hobbers

If it's between Potter and Brenton, and let's face it, it will be... Potter all day long.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
To say he would drown is baseless. Why would he?

Every manager, every player that ever takes a step up to a massive club has a point at which they take a big leap. Nobody would ever be able to take a big step up if they were incapable by virtue of a limited experience base. It's more about ability and personality.

I would say it would be nice to see him in the PL longer, even if it's with Brighton. Just to get a handle on his transfers over a longer period, albeit on a shoe string. Because that really can make or break a United manager. Also to see if he can keep them at the current level or thereabouts consistently, and that they don't drop off as here you have to be consistent.

Beyond that I don't think much more needs to be done, there is no easy transition. If we wait for Arsenal or somebody to take the risk then it'll be them that potentially get the payoff, and our chances of getting him are minimal at a club like that. If he goes to a mid table side with a higher budget you'll still say the same thing, it's a massive step to Man Utd. So it's way more about longevity of success than the step up IMO.
He came 16th in the PL last season.

People are quick to slate Ole at every opportunity. Is that now our level then? 16th in the PL?

Klopp had a win record of 40.4% with Mainz, but that is including being in Bundesliga 2. Klopp's win percentage during his time in the Bundesliga with Mainz was 28.33%, which would have ruled him out for a job for Manchester United, in that case.

Win percentage ignores a lot of factors, though. Last season, Brighton should have reached a much higher points total, but their finishers really let them down. Can you hold that against the manager that his forwards are underwhelming? The team created plenty of chances, actually being 10th in terms of xG, but they finished 15th in terms of goals scored.

They should have really finished much higher up the table, especially with being 3rd in xGA, and being 7th in terms of goals conceded in 20/21. And they did all that without playing defensive football. The improvements are massive at Brighton, and win percentage just hides too much of it to be useful alone. This gives it quite a lot of context, really.
All fair points (and let me preface by saying I rate Potter highly), but Klopp wasn't in contention for a top job when he left Mainz either - Dortmund were very much a midtable/top half side that had just finished 13th when they appointed him, and they were only 6th/5th in his first two seasons.

That's not United right now - we finished 2nd with this manager and will (probably, anyway...) get 5th at the very least if we stick with him. We want someone to come in and elevate the team to legit title challengers, and Potter might not be at that level (yet).

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo

People are quick to slate Ole at every opportunity. Is that now our level then? 16th in the PL?
Ole's level was way lower actually. You seem to forget how (un)successful he was both in Premiership and Championship in his Cardiff stint.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Only because we remember the successful managers and we forget the dozens of 28% managers who disappear and nobody mentions them any more.

A top club hiring a 28% manager usually leads to nothing. A top club hiring an ex-player, nine times out of ten leads to Ole, Giggs, Lampard, Pirlo ... rarely leads to Pep, but 10 years from now we will remember Pep and not Lampard.
Well, you would think that when Dortmund hired a young manager who just got relegated it was not due to his win rate. I mean, he got relegated 07 and failed to get promoted in his final season in 08. The second biggest club in Germany still went for him. Why? Probably because the people who was hiring at Dortmund knew a thing or two about football.

People who like Potter probably do so not because of his win rate, but despite it. So they probably see something more in how he organize and coach his teams. Was that the reason Chelsea hired Lampard or Man Utd hired OGS? Or the reason Juve hired Pirlo? Probably not. And that is a huge difference in my opinion.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Is this a parody post? He was working with a squad barely Championship level.

Status
Not open for further replies.