Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar2290

He came 16th in the PL last season.

People are quick to slate Ole at every opportunity. Is that now our level then? 16th in the PL?
When Ole was managing a team of similar calibre(Cardiff) he relegated them.

Potter is not only keeping a similar team in the Prem, but makes them punch above their weight.

Flytan

The more I think about it the less I want it. He could be great but there's no reason we need to take the chance. He should find an-inbetween club like Klopp, Nagelsmann, and Tuchel did.

To be clear I think he's a very promising manager but I really don't want to be the focus on a long term project that could blow up in our faces like it did with Moyes, LVG, and Ole. Mourinho blew up too but that was more because of the person he is and the boards decision to bring out his bad side, not a consequence of getting a manager with more pedigree.

Caesar2290

Is this a parody post? He was working with a squad barely Championship level.
This guy is an Ole inner. His defense mechanism is shitting on all the other managers so that Ole would be the only choice left to manage United.

If Sir Alex was managing Brighton right now he would find something wrong with him as well.

Caesar2290

The more I think about it the less I want it. He could be great but there's no reason we need to take the chance. He should find an-inbetween club like Klopp, Nagelsmann, and Tuchel did.
The problem with that logic is that in the Prem once these managers take in bigger clubs they're usually very hard to poach(Poch at Spurs as an example) simply because not only do they become competitive and reach the CL, but also these coaches realize that once they leave the certain club it usually implodes on itself so they develop a degree of loyalty as well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole's level was way lower actually. You seem to forget how (un)successful he was both in Premiership and Championship in his Cardiff stint.
Ole took over due to a stipulation of being a club legend. Everyone knows it wasn't on merit of his management career. The club needed a pick me up.

But you knew that already didn't you?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is this a parody post? He was working with a squad barely Championship level.
And? And is that now our level?

Forget Ole for a second if you can.....

Will City go for Potter after Pep? Will Liverpool go for him after Klopp? Would Chelsea take him?

I think you already know the answer. It's a firm no.

Last edited:

Flytan

The problem with that logic is that in the Prem once these managers take in bigger clubs they're usually very hard to poach(Poch at Spurs as an example) simply because not only do they become competitive and reach the CL, but also these coaches realize that once they leave the certain club it usually implodes on itself so they develop a degree of loyalty as well.
I agree with everything you said. I just don't see him as my top choice. Assuming national team managers are a no-go because of the world cup, he's probably one of the five I would look into.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
When Ole was managing a team of similar calibre(Cardiff) he relegated them.

Potter is not only keeping a similar team in the Prem, but makes them punch above their weight.
We need someone who is going to be better than Pep, Tuchel Klopp not Ole though. Are you happy to go for another manager who isn't top drawer just because you want Ole out so badly?

You could argue Rafa and Moyes are better coaches than Ole but they aren't going to make us PL winners so why to there.

People are getting so carried away with this Potter guy. Managing Brighton is not in same stratosphere as managing United. You do know that right?

Trequarista10

People are quick to slate Ole at every opportunity. Is that now our level then? 16th in the PL?
Well Ole got relegated with Cardiff, so with this fool proof logic Potter is slightly better than Ole.

Also worth noting Conte was once relegated from Serie B, and resigned from Atalanta when they were 19th in the table in January. It's almost as though the quality of players in the squad may have some influence in their league position.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
We need someone who is going to be better than Pep, Tuchel Klopp not Ole though. Are you happy to go for another manager who isn't top drawer just because you want Ole out so badly?

You could argue Rafa and Moyes are better coaches than Ole but they aren't going to make us PL winners so why to there.

People are getting so carried away with this Potter guy. Managing Brighton is not in same stratosphere as managing United. You do know that right?
Who is it then? Names, please.

Idxomer

Well Ole got relegated with Cardiff, so with this fool proof logic Potter is slightly better than Ole.

Also worth noting Conte was once relegated from Serie B, and resigned from Atalanta when they were 19th in the table in January. It's almost as though the quality of players in the squad may have some influence in their league position.
Even then, all the stats indicated last season that Brighton should've finished much higher than 16th.

frostbite

There is another question with Potter: Will he be able to maintain authority after a couple of bad results?

For example, we play Atalanta today and we need a result. If it is ZIdane, the players will listen to him, the guy has won it all three times. If it is Ole, well okay at least he has won it once, that's more than most of our players. But if it is Potter... well the guy never ever played in CL, what authority would he have?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

But you're falling in the same trap as everyone else. We aren't trying to find somebody better than Ole. We need to find someone who can bring down Pep, Tuchel and Klopp aren't we?

I'm not saying Ole is better than him. I'm saying he's not the man for now.

Some of you are getting so desperate for Ole to go you've just stop thinking. Graham Potter isn't going to take this club back to PL titles. If you think he is then my word.....

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
There is another question with Potter: Will he be able to maintain authority after a couple of bad results?

For example, we play Atalanta today and we need a result. If it is ZIdane, the players will listen to him, the guy has won it all three times. If it is Ole, well okay at least he has won it once, that's more than most of our players. But if it is Potter... well the guy never ever played in CL, what authority would he have?
How did Tuchel maintain it then? He never won it as a player either.

@Nou_Camp99 wants us to believe that unless there is pretty much a coach certain to be better than Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel and Conte, we should stick with Ole. Great really.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Who is it then? Names, please.
Not Graham Potter. That's all you need to know.

Why make yet another managerial mistake just because you want Ole gone? How long does Potter get? 2 to 3 years before you all realise I was right.

Graham Potter isn't winning us the PL with the calibre of manager we are up against. Just because Ole isn't either doesn't mean we should appoint another one.

I think the club will move for Ten Hag or maybe Poch should he become available in the summer.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

@Nou_Camp99 wants us to believe that unless there is pretty much a coach certain to be better than Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel and Conte, we should stick with Ole. Great really.
There's no guarantee.

However it isn't Graham Potter. I know that much. He's not finishing Infront of the 3 world class managers so why are we even discussing it?

I will tell you why we are.....you cry babies want Ole out so much you've stopped thinking about the reality you're asking for.

I'd rather we wait for Poch or Ten Hag etc than gamble on a manager who has never managed a single big club or player in his career.

Do you think Ronaldo, Bruno and Cavani etc are going to respect Potter? Will they balls.

frostbite

In my opinion, PSG is a bigger name in Europe than Chelsea. Potter has never been to a CL game, as a player or as a manager. If Potter had already managed PSG, even if he had failed there... he would have the pedigree to manage us. Now he doesn't. And yes, perception makes a big difference. The players have to believe in the manager.

Last edited:

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Do people realize that Potter has 28.6% win rate in 98 games with Brighton?

Sure that might be good enough for Brighton and Potter might become a good mid-table manager, but why do you think he is ever going to be a world class manager like Pep or Klopp?
We have slightly more resources and better players than Brighton.

Abraxas

If Ole came 16th with this squad that would be some achievement. You're putting up straw men, I never said anything about 16th being acceptable for us, or that where Brighton finish is acceptable for us. Why would it be?

But there are relative expectations. Which is the exact reason that people are also saying that Brighton to Manchester United is a bridge too far. 16th with Brighton is decent depending on how they achieve it, and by all accounts they should have finished higher than that on performance. Which is not completely without merit considering they're looking better this year so far.

Also, he's spent more than one season in football. He's adding to an already good reputation that he achieved in Sweden, so his trajectory is good. You can't just distill it down into 16th last season without further comment and think it's a great point.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We have slightly more resources and better players than Brighton.
And he's never won a trophy as a manager or player. He's never experienced the CL. He's never managed a big club or elite players.

Can't you see the huge gaping flaws in this argument?

People have lost the plot on this forum just because they are desperate to get Ole out. And you know the worst thing....these same people will be the first to turn on Potter if it starts going wrong like it will.

Man City and Liverpool aren't going to fear us one bit if we hire Potter. Just because they don't fear under Ole either doesn't mean it's the right appointment.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
And he's never won a trophy as a manager or player. He's never experienced the CL. He's never managed a big club or elite players.

People have lost the plot on this forum just because they are desperate to get Ole out. And you know the worst thing....these same people will be the first to turn on Potter if it starts going wrong like it will.

Man City and Liverpool aren't going to fear us one bit if we hire Potter. Just because they don't fear under Ole either doesn't mean it's the right appointment.
I didn’t say we should hire him. Just saying win percentage at Brighton ain’t much to go on, he’s clearly getting good tune out of them though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I didn’t say we should hire him. Just saying win percentage at Brighton ain’t much to go on, he’s clearly getting good tune out of them though.
I didn't base it all on the win percentage. All of what I said above is also taken into consideration.

People on here just had enough of Ole and get that to a certain extent but to think Potter is going to take us to title challengers with zero experience at this level is just wishful thinking.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

This is such a hilariously bad argument.
There's nothing wrong with supporting your manager, but you're gaslighting yourself here.

"Ole came second and Potter came 16th, that's all the proof I need"

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There's nothing wrong with supporting your manager, but you're gaslighting yourself here.

That wasn't the only reason.

Not experienced CL. Not managed a big club. Not managed big players. Not won anything.

Am I wrong? I'm not am I?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And? And is that now our level?

Forget Ole for a second if you can.....

Will City go for Potter after Pep? Will Liverpool go for him after Klopp? Would Chelsea take him?

I think you already know the answer. It's a firm no.
Spurs went after Poch when he was over achieving at Southampton, and Poch is a manager we want today. Maybe for once it would be nice for us go for a proper coach who is obviously going to improve side with a suitable system.

You'd have a leg to stand on if similar managers were available, or if you weren't so dismissive about Potters work with Brighton.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

To be honest i dont want a manager who isnt CL experienced. We already made the same mistake with Ole

jamesjimmybyrondean

Potter is a risk we can afford if we dominated the league like Bayern. Has any manager ever made the step-up from a club like Brighton to a top club in the Premier league that wasn't a sentimental appointment?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’d take a lump of coal over Ole so it’s a resounding yes.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That wasn't the only reason.

Not experienced CL. Not managed a big club. Not managed big players. Not won anything.

Am I wrong? I'm not am I?
If you don’t want him due to inexperience that’s fine, but the argument I quoted is a nonsensical one. It basically takes the stance that there are no appreciable differences in the players or resources between the two clubs, and clearly you know that isn’t the case.

It doesn’t matter to me who Manchester United end up with as manager (bar liking them a little).

To be honest i dont want a manager who isnt CL experienced. We already made the same mistake with Ole
My point wasn’t that he wasn’t allowed to not want Potter, just that the argument in the post I used made no sense.

People shouldn’t get too hung up on experience though, you’re not going to find a proven manager better than Pep or Klopp, best bet is to find the next Pep or Klopp.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If you don’t want him due to inexperience that’s fine, but the argument I quoted is a nonsensical one. It basically takes the stance that there are no appreciable differences in the players or resources between the two clubs, and clearly you know that isn’t the case.

It doesn’t matter to me who Manchester United end up with as manager (bar liking them a little).

My point wasn’t that he wasn’t allowed to not want Potter, just that the argument in the post I used made no sense.

People shouldn’t get too hung up on experience though, you’re not going to find a proven manager better than Pep or Klopp, best bet is to find the next Pep or Klopp.
There are better options available. Potter while being impressive is unproven. Dont want that now at United if we part from Ole.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

If you want to put it that way, you are actually wrong. Potter won lower leagues twice with Östersund (final promotion to the top league came through a second-place finish), won the Swedish FA Cup with them, and subsequently managed them in the Europa League after beating Galatasaray and PAOK in the two-leg knock-out qualification rounds. They then finished second in their group and subsequently beat Arsenal at the Emirates in the next round (but were eliminated after a home loss). As for win percentages: while it's 28.6% with Brighton so far, it was 51.0% with Östersund over 249 matches and 41.2% with Swansea over 51 matches.

So he definitely knows how to win. You are now of course going to bring back that none of those clubs are as big as United (which I think is pretty uninteresting, but at least it's true), but at least you can stop throwing out partial stats.
Not Graham Potter. That's all you need to know.

Why make yet another managerial mistake just because you want Ole gone? How long does Potter get? 2 to 3 years before you all realise I was right.

Graham Potter isn't winning us the PL with the calibre of manager we are up against. Just because Ole isn't either doesn't mean we should appoint another one.

I think the club will move for Ten Hag or maybe Poch should he become available in the summer.
That's not all we need to know. You're setting your cv requirements pretty high, so it would be interesting to learn which managers you think would be good enough for United (apart from Guardiola and Klopp).

Status
Not open for further replies.