g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Would you take Graham Potter at United?

Would you take Graham Potter at United?

• Yes

Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_cliff

He's rubbish, his football is rubbish, he looks weird and is well known for his amorous antics with various oversized unattractive animals.

Steer clear this is not the manager for you.
:lol: :lol:
I hope he does stay with you guys for another two seasons at least, can see him really pushing for the Europa spots within the next 2 seasons. Always been impressed with how you guys play football and I think Potter is brilliant. I can't lie I'd take him in a heartbeat but you really have a gem in Potter.

Foxbatt

True but people aren't willing to overlook the relegation and Potter, if he doesn't make a move soon, will fall into the same trap. Players will be poached, it's a tough ask replacing them and soon or later it will catch up with them and they will stagnate then fall in a year or two.
Why shouldn't relegation be overlooked? After all we did overlook too and got a manager who relegated Cardiff and played much worse football than either Howe or Potter.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I'm baffled. He can manage a us and achieve what no other has after Fergie. I like Conte, a manager capable of great things here. Those does not mean we should be undervaluing the achievements of Potter. People like Conte came through the Ole/Zidane route and made a meal of it. That doesn't mean we should not be looking at someone like Potter. I have the audacity to compare him to Nagelsmann considering resources availed to them. If he is capable of getting Brighton playing this football then our so-called stars should improve to winners under him.
On a final not our serial losers at this club should not dictate what type of manager we bring in. They have not earned the right to dictate that yet. From now it should be put up or bugger off. Tired of us tip toeing around these players and agent's agenda leaks. Even Zidane will not get good football off this bunch the way we treat them.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Nagelsmann was managing one of the wealthiest teams in Germany though. I know he did well at Hoffenheim before he was at Leipzig but isn’t that comparable to what Potter is doing for Brighton?

I guess if Potter was to mirror Nagelsmann he’d now go and do the Newcastle job and finish top 4. Have a good champions league run and then move to Utd the way Nagelsmann has with Bayern.
If he ever goes to Newcastle we'll never get him. He is looking on upward trajectory and time to make a move. I'm not saying he will be a success here but success is not a certainty. Any manager appointment will always come with risks attached especially for a club that has no DOF.

JeffFromHK

I don't think he is a suitable manager for us, at least for now. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt he is a good coach who can give his team a good style of play. But he is very unproven as to whether he can manage a club on the front foot and, say, make the right substitution at the 89th minute of an important cup final.
Moyes has already taught us a lesson that certain managers can bring a club with modest squad and limited budget to 6th, but if you give the same manager huge budgets and star players, he will still lead you to 6th.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I think it's strange logic to think we should let him go elsewhere. If we're interested in him then we have to be looking to move quickly on it when the time is right for a change.

Absolutely no point at all thinking he has to go to a West Ham or Everton. What do we learn in addition to what he's doing at Brighton where he's taking them from relegation fodder to a solid side? He's not gonna win the league with said teams. Those sides are closer to Brighton than they are a title winning side in terms of quality of individuals, profile and transfer spend.

There isn't going to be any guarantee beyond what we've got at Premier League level, unless we wait for him to get a move to another top side at which point our chance is gone. Maybe he needs a bit more time at Brighton but not necessarily to go somewhere else in my opinion. You can't get everything, if you're going for one of these upcomers that's doing miraculous things at lesser profile clubs it's about being the one to take a risk in the knowledge that literally any appointment is a risk and the upside is huge.
This

It's beautiful when someone that actually understands English gets to clearly articulate a point you've been unsuccessfully trying to make.

JohnnyKills

Personally I was totally against us getting Moyes, but at this stage I'd prefer to go for someone like Potter than a short-term candidate like Conte, who'll just end up falling out with everyone.

Potter's vision and values seem scalable and he's clear doing a great job at Brighton.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think he is a suitable manager for us, at least for now. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt he is a good coach who can give his team a good style of play. But he is very unproven as to whether he can manage a club on the front foot and, say, make the right substitution at the 89th minute of an important cup final.
Moyes has already taught us a lesson that certain managers can bring a club with modest squad and limited budget to 6th, but if you give the same manager huge budgets and star players, he will still lead you to 6th.
Everybody starts somewhere.

Would you have had this same opinion of Ferguson when he came from Aberdeen?

Pochettinho at Southampton?

Klopp at Mainz? etc etc etc

The proof is in the pudding. Brighton were relegation candidates before he got there.

romufc

I think we need to hire a top top coach. who can get the players playing a certain way.

Brighton play such good football, people say they don't dominate games but they sure as hell give the big teams a very good game.

Obviously, the lack of quality doesn't help but the football he has got them played is brilliant.
Given the players we have, I think he could get us playing attacking football.

bondsname

I am more intrigued by the idea of Potter managing us than Conte or Ten Hag tbh.

JeffFromHK

The proof is in the pudding. Brighton were relegation candidates before he got there.
- Ferguson leading Aberdeen to win the Scottish league was a big achievement and he had proven himself that he could handle high pressure cup ties (c.f. Cup Winners' Cup final vs Real Madrid).
- I would not take Pochettinho from Southampton directly. But yes after he had proven himself at Tottenham.
- I would not take Klopp from Mainze directly. But yes after he had proven himself at Dortmund

I would take Ten Hag for now too. He had proven himself that he can lead a team on the front foot, win trophies, and he has handled Champions League ties well against giants.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

Plus on the contrary.. Mourinho and Van Gaal were proven managers and they we huge misses here as well. We should stop only looking at resumé and just 'scout' the qualities you want to see in a coach. But proven and unproven manager can become huge successes or massive flops. Resumé should not be a leading variable in the assignment of Olé successor.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't know how Potter will do at big clubs.

But sometimes some managers can do it with no names player believing in their plan whereas doing that with big names might be a different issue.
Nagelsman was hardly managing world-beaters, yet Bayern have trusted him and he's doing well.

People overthink this whole thing because of how bad our current manager is.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
More interestng option than Southgate, i'd love to see how he could do in a team like Spurs before any biggest club move.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nagelsman was hardly managing world-beaters, yet Bayern have trusted him and he's doing well.

Also, respect is earned. Ancelotti is a great coach, but Bayern's squad started protesting against him because they thought his approach made no sense. So much for respecting big names! On the other hand, if someone like Potter would come in, and if he would do and say things that seem sensible to the players, then they'll respect him and buy into his work even if the results aren't necessarily awesome from the start. (Even though they shouldn't be disastrous, of course.)

I get that players might give someone with Potter's profile a little less time to prove themselves than a coach with an amazing cv, but there is no way they'll start undermining him from that start; what purpose would that serve for a player?

Eplel

I like how robust some people's screening process is for the new manager, while they will do their best to convince you that the man who relegated Cardiff is the right person.

Kaos

More interestng option than Southgate, i'd love to see how he could do in a team like Spurs before any biggest club move.
Well we’ve seen him managing Middlesbrough - a club he’s managd to get relegated. And years later he was offered a huge job despite having no qualifications for it bar being mates with those who make the decisions. Remind you of anyone?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Well we’ve seen him managing Middlesbrough - a club he’s managd to get relegated. And years later he was offered a huge job despite having no qualifications for it bar being mates with those who make the decisions. Remind you of anyone?
I want to say Ole because I'm sure it's Ole but I'm worried it might be a trick question

Rex Banner

I think it's strange logic to think we should let him go elsewhere. If we're interested in him then we have to be looking to move quickly on it when the time is right for a change.

Absolutely no point at all thinking he has to go to a West Ham or Everton. What do we learn in addition to what he's doing at Brighton where he's taking them from relegation fodder to a solid side? He's not gonna win the league with said teams. Those sides are closer to Brighton than they are a title winning side in terms of quality of individuals, profile and transfer spend.

There isn't going to be any guarantee beyond what we've got at Premier League level, unless we wait for him to get a move to another top side at which point our chance is gone. Maybe he needs a bit more time at Brighton but not necessarily to go somewhere else in my opinion. You can't get everything, if you're going for one of these upcomers that's doing miraculous things at lesser profile clubs it's about being the one to take a risk in the knowledge that literally any appointment is a risk and the upside is huge.
Well said.

I think Potter would be a risk but it would be an exciting appointment. I hate this idea that a manager has to 'prove' himself at a big club before he's worthy of the United job. What big club did Klopp manage before Dortmund? Or Conte before Juventus? Every manager has to start somewhere.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I just want to say if David Moyes hadn't coached us before the media would have shoved him down our throats by now.

Haven't we learned from time passed, we should be looking at bringing in people with whom can handle the egos we have, people who have won things and are still looking to win things, even if that means falling out with a few players who aren't willing to pull their weight.

We've got a Yes man in Ole and we are campaigning for another to come in and continue were Ole has left off.

JustAGuest

I just want to say if David Moyes hadn't coached us before the media would have shoved him down our throats by now.

Haven't we learned from time passed, we should be looking at bringing in people with whom can handle the egos we have, people who have won things and are still looking to win things, even if that means falling out with a few players who aren't willing to pull their weight.

We've got a Yes man in Ole and we are campaigning for another to come in and continue were Ole has left off.
The way Brighton play would easily transfer to a better team with better players - and that can't be said for Moyes. I don't think you can compare them other than both having no experience at a top club. Appointing Potter would not be another Moyes.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't think Southgate would achieve top 4 that easily. We don't even know what players he would bring. Could be another Hodgson in Liverpool.

I'm more interested what Potter's ceilling really is before elevating him to elite football.

Red Star One

Yes over Ole, no over other main candidates in Conte, Rodgers, ten Hag. Not sure he’d be so in rush to join us too - it would be once in a lifetime opportunity and perhaps he wouldn’t not be able to turn it down, but also a giant risk for him before he truly has a chance to establish himself in the next 2-3 years, if Brighton continues with their progress.

Teja

An interesting watch:

My overall conclusion there is that there's no good solution in the 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1 type system to deal with the extra CB and still keep it's compactness when pressing 3 CBs. Possibly why everyone's going 5-3-2 these days because the pressing meta keeps getting more and more complicated on preventing goal kicks and building up play from the back.

I have to re-watch the Pool Brighton game to see how they dealt with it since Klopp basically sets up the best press in the world.

It's sort of like when Jose brought the 4-3-3 to England and created that numerical overload at CM when most people were playing two strikers.

Hughie77

The guys a good coach, was at Swansea where they are a decent club of picking a manager.
And he's now got A Brighton side playing good football, he will go to a bigger club, but I think he should have a few more seasons at Brighton. Then UTD just need to keep an eye on his progress. Id rather him than Roger's.

tomaldinho1

Nagelsmann was managing one of the wealthiest teams in Germany though. I know he did well at Hoffenheim before he was at Leipzig but isn’t that comparable to what Potter is doing for Brighton?

I guess if Potter was to mirror Nagelsmann he’d now go and do the Newcastle job and finish top 4. Have a good champions league run and then move to Utd the way Nagelsmann has with Bayern.
It's hard to compare the PL dynamic to the BL given Bayern's dominance. For all the love Nagelsmann gets, he never actually beat Hasenhuttl's domestic points total with RBL so I'm not sure the RBL experience was even that amazing, he was good, don't get me wrong, but the hype was disproportionate because he is young and a bit of an eccentric. Potter is the opposite, he seems very grounded, a bit boring (which isn't bad) and has had to do things the long way. If I were him, I'd wait because I do think a top four club will like his style of play, like that he's English, doesn't seem a troublemaker and also it does appear that massive clubs are more open to 'projects' these days, if he can finish midtable (ish), he's had a standout season and at least one of the 'big 4' managers will get sacked by summer given there aren't enough trophies to go around.

sancho1983

Potter is a fantastic manager/coach. He's one that we'll end up asking ourselves why we didn't go for him when he was at Brighton. He's a good age, gets a team playing. Their performance against Liverpool was tremendous.

He could hopefully bring lamptey too as a bonus

The United

People don't overthink. It is a legitimate concern.

There are other examples which didn't work out as well.

AneRu

Plus on the contrary.. Mourinho and Van Gaal were proven managers and they we huge misses here as well. We should stop only looking at resumé and just 'scout' the qualities you want to see in a coach. But proven and unproven manager can become huge successes or massive flops. Resumé should not be a leading variable in the assignment of Olé successor.
On point, CVs are well and good but you can't discount timing - you have to have systems in place that can spot a manager or a player on the up before everyone else e.g the Klopp that Dortmund had after Mainz wouldn't have failed at Liverpool then or if we got PEP on 09 or Jose in 2004. They were winners even before they were proven and all it took was someone taking a chance on them.

Contrast the above with what we did with Van Gaal and Mourinho, we got them whem the magic had worn off and all they had left were big reputations and egos. Getting Potter right now could get us that benefit of getting a manager on the upward trajectory. Put CVs aside and judge the football - if we like what we see then by all means take the plunge.

matsdf

He's a better coach than any of the others we're linked with at the moment. If we are changing managers, I'd gamble with him.

Posh Red

People don't overthink. It is a legitimate concern.

There are other examples which didn't work out as well.
I think you could find a few managerial examples to backup or criticise many different arguments in terms of choosing our next manager. For me, we’ve yet to give someone of his profile a go yet, so at the very least I’d be interested to see us try him. It would be nice to see us attempting to play a more modern, entertaining brand of football. Whether he can bring trophies with that is obviously a huge question mark.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Never managed a big club. Never managed elite players. Never won anything.

Absolutely no chance is he ready for this job. It would swallow him whole.

Talented coach he may be.....but this job isnt easy. Managing Brighton where expectations are to stay up is not the same as managing this club.

Do think he has the potential to make it to a big club one day but Brighton to Utd seems a bit of a fairytale to me.

croadyman

Never managed a big club. Never managed elite players. Never won anything.

Absolutely no chance is he ready for this job. It would swallow him whole.

Talented coach he may be.....but this job isnt easy. Managing Brighton where expectations are to stay up is not the same as managing this club.

Do think he has the potential to make it to a big club one day but Brighton to Utd seems a bit of a fairytale to me.
Yeah totally agree that he needs another step somewhere else first

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't agree with the 'He needs a another step' line.

The top two coaches people go about on here are Zidane, Conte, who both got their big breaks at clubs due to nepotism. Zidane was managing the Madrid B team and Conte had struggled prior to getting the Juve gig, where he was sacked several times before Agnelli gave him a chance due to his past association with the club. If we hired Conte at the time, the narrative would've been 'the guy who relegated Atalanta'

Status
Not open for further replies.