Would you take Mbappe if given the chance?

Lyng

The mere thought of Rashford and Mbappe destroying teams together for us is mouthwatering! :drool:

YikesSchmeics

Off topic, but I will always laugh at Mark Ogden, the big dunce, Tweeting this quote verbatim and implying he literally meant he would take Mascherano.

He said something to the effect of "Fergie when asked which Barca player he would take, said Mascherano. Interesting."

He later deleted it. That was the same final that he wrote a huge article beforehand saying we would play 343 with Michael Owen up top if we went a goal down, which we did, twice. Never happened. Amazing how 1 week makes you completely and utterly disregard a journo as clueless ever since!

scottser

he's too much of a cnut. teams sign cnuts all the time mind you, and in fairness we have had some of the biggest cnuts of all time playing for us. but mbappe is just too much of a selfish, entitled cnut to have in a squad that now emphasises togetherness and teamwork. to paraphrase, there is no 'cnut' in 'team'.

Chief123

He’s a cnut. I’d happily have him at Utd and be our beloved cnut.

Shinjch

Can see the argument on both sides, but I think if there was any possibility of it happening then it is worth taking the chance.

Not that I think it would be possible.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone honestly saying no is an absolute plum.
I'm not sure. It's possible to win things without a superstar. I do think a media circus surrounding a club can be a bad thing and Mbappe seems to provide that (It may die down once he leaves PSG but it's hard to be sure). If the argument is just football quality you say yes every time but it isn't.

Traub

I'm not sure. It's possible to win things without a superstar. I do think a media circus surrounding a club can be a bad thing and Mbappe seems to provide that (It may die down once he leaves PSG but it's hard to be sure). If the argument is just football quality you say yes every time but it isn't.
I think the problem is PSG are largely irrelevant except for their big stars. So it's easy to build the circus around Mbappe given he is French. The fact that he rejected the Madrid move is a big red flag for me.

Kingofwinners

This would be a really tough call if the option arose. For me it would boil down to three things:

1). How does ETH feel about it, does it fit his strategy both in terms of team culture and playing style. If he has reservations then I would let the opportunity pass. He has us on a great track, this needs to be his call.
2). Where would we be financially after this, if it wipes us out completely under financial fair play then it’s a problem, we need at least a couple more solid squad players, if we could make that work with some sales and Mbappe then next year looks exciting.
3) How far away are our younger players, Iqbal, Pellesterri etc. if they are close enough to play a squad role then we can blow more of the budget.

On balance if it happens I will be celebrating, it has the potential to be a Cantona moment !

Strelok

He’s a cnut. I’d happily have him at Utd and be our beloved cnut.
Yeah if he'd be a cnut only toward opponent teams. While I'm afraid he'd be also a cnut toward his teammates and manager.

KeanoMagicHat

I agree on the media circus aspect but you have to weigh up the pros and cons, for example Ronaldo simply wasn’t a good enough player at 36 years old to be worth the hassle he was. Mbappé is worth it at 23 years old, and on the pitch is more of a creator/team player than Ronaldo was.

Redlyn

Yeah if he'd be a cnut only toward opponent teams. While I'm afraid he'd be also a cnut toward his teammates and manager.
I think we would get over that very quickly if he was delivering insane numbers for us. It's not like he's going around threatening the life of his teammates, just a bit of ego and throwing his weight around.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think we would get over that very quickly if he was delivering insane numbers for us. It's not like he's going around threatening the life of his teammates, just a bit of ego and throwing his weight around.
Depends on the manager, but generally speaking, I wouldn’t want to treat any player like they’re above the club/manager here at United, no matter their output. One of the things I’ve loved about EtH is that he is in charge and he expects discipline and a certain set standard from everyone. Of course you can slightly indulge a player a little (like SAF did with Ronaldo), but not at the expense of the manager himself (unless the manager is toxic then there might be a debate to be had).

scottser

if he was delivering insane numbers for us, it would give him the latitude to be as much of a cnut as he wants to be. he'd want a say on transfers and team selection for instance, when he should be made to power wash the stands and take out the bins for being a lippy cnut.

RedDevil@84

Would you take the one of the world's best player?

Naaa... Extend Martial instead.

poleglass red

He'd a royal pain the arse, you can guarantee every season there'd be non stop links about him going to Real. Sometimes that can be par for the course with top european players but City have players like De Bruyne were you don't get the nonsense surrounding players like Pogba and Mbappe with him. In answer to the question though, yes, I'd have him at utd

Djemba-Djemba

That's a fair point but I think the upside to Mbappe outweighs any of the negatives.

Eddy_JukeZ

Anyone saying no to this has to be a wum.

Him and Rashford would destroy Premier League defenses.

Zed 101

I mean yes but I would be worried about balance, he is top drawer but another player very similar to what we have, if it is a choice between Mbappe and another top striker for instance Osimhen, then if that player was offering something different I think I would go against Mbappe.

I also think he is a bit of a dick, I am not sure his personality would not be a distraction, Mbappe wants to be the star player with all the focus on him, not sure that is a good fit with ETH

I think his wage demands would destroy the wage structure/cap.

eire-red

Yes of course you'd love to see him here, but it would require probably the entire team to be built around him. PSG have shown that having the likes of Mbappe, Neymar and Messi is great on paper, but you can't carry that many players no matter how good.

Ronaldo worked so well here because you had the likes of Rooney and Tevez willing to do the hard yards for the team to allow him to focus on what he was great at. It could easily upset the balance we now seem to have.

Abraxas

A no brainer, he's that good. But he's definitely one you have to work around within the structure of a team. But it's absolutely worth the pay off. I think you can only afford one player like that and that's why PSG are not CL contenders.

I don't see it as financially viable for us at the moment but who knows, if we continue to become a more attractive proposition and get taken over by somebody willing to shell out it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Please tell me the last team to win anything that didn’t have a superstar Besides the Tuchel Chelsea team, pretty much all of them do

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Why does Kylian Mbappe continue to post pictures on his Instagram with the caption obviously mentioning Manchester United?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Nah not for me. Imagine he gets paid £800K a week and throws a strop because Bruno passes to Rashford instead of him. This guy wants all the glory for himself, there are players who fit our ethos much more than him.

evil_geko

Nah not for me. Imagine he gets paid £800K a week and throws a strop because Bruno passes to Rashford instead of him. This guy wants all the glory for himself, there are players who fit our ethos much more than him.

Bloody hell I knew he had a massive ego but this is beyond embarrassing :houllier: , nah, don't want this diva anywhere near here.

AJ VII

Honestly I would say no. Is he an amazing player? Yes one of the best. But would he work hard off the ball and fight for the team when things get tough? I don't think so. And in the PL you have to win the war before you win the game most of the time. I think he would destroy the teamspirit EtH has been able to build and that is more important than one single player, no matter how good he is.

We need warriors that wants to win for each other and put the teams need before themselves. With him in the team everything would be about him, and if history has shown us something, buying superstars doesn't work, creating them does.

EtH is building a really strong teamspirit and cohesion here, and that should be our main priority going forward, not individuality and player power.

Chairman Steve

Great player but wrong personality. We’ve been the most recent proven example of what positive changes happen when the egos are kicked out.

Monaco Mbappe would have been quite the acquisition. I’m not a fan of this PSG Mbappe who has been handed the keys to the kingdom and now has a planet sized ego.

Lost bear

Sceptical
I’m sceptical too. Huge ego that comes alongside his undoubted talent. Why we are so good at the moment is because we’re, at last, a real team. Someone like that could feck up the chemistry badly. Look at the second coming of Ronnie. Maybe that would not happen, I don’t know, but my point is that it’s not a simple case of turning down the lottery. I believe Erik is acutely aware of these kind of considerations, though.

edit: I see others have made these points already.

StiffTackle

Glad I’m not alone in thinking I wouldn’t touch this guy with a barge pole. Horrendous attitude towards his teammates, manager and people in general.

Neymar was never going to be a good role model for him as a young player, then you combine that with his status at PSG, his wealth and his obvious talent and I really think PSG have created a monster.

The level of investment the Qataris have made in him and the power they’ve bestowed upon him at PSG would spell trouble for ten Hag.

I’d much rather continue with what ten Hag is doing and sign players with the right character, even if they are less talented than Mbappe.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Horrible. If that is actually how he acts, Stay the feck away from this team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

If that's how he behaves because he didn't get a pass then we should stay well clear, I haven't seen enough to form a judgement on him but if SAF had been the manager there he'd have been out of the door so fast all you'd have felt was a whiff of garlic

Red-17

Best part about this goal is that he would have had a back post tap in if he just continued on. If the manager didn't sub him off right after that, then he basically just showed who was really running the team. No place for that attitude in a top level team.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Only if ETH wanted him and it was very clear who the boss is. Could be a massive step back in terms of dressing room atmosphere after ridding ourselves of Ronaldo and his drama.

pacifictheme

As others have said only if eth wants him. Even then I think he would be disruptive, so probably not no.