• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I agree that he's a yes man but at least he has some tactical knowhow and coaching ability, however do understand the concerns due to his scouse connections from the hardcore members of our fanbase

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's very easy to imagine Brenton and 'adult Disneyland' Ed getting on like a house on fire. If he'd ever interviewed for the United job, it'd be his. Makes me a bit sick thinking about it.

iKnowNothing

35% of posters would take the same guy who Liverpool thought wasn’t good enough for them? This is the guy they kicked out many years ago and went on to win the PL and CL! People here would rather hire *that* guy?

Highfather_24

I'm so fecking desperate I'll take Rodgers now on a 18 month contract. While hopefully trying to get Ten Hag/Luis Enrique later on. The fear is Rodgers is a good top 4 manager, and since he is the perfect Glazers stooge, we will give him a 6 year contract or something while Enrique goes to City, Mancini goes to Arsenal, and Ten Hag goes to Liverpool.

Last edited:

soapythecat

I honestly feel that those who want Rodgers are just desperate for anyone other than Ole.
Ole needs to go, now, but BR is not the man we need. The club needs to be brave with the next manager not safe.

Lord of Blackhaven

If it means Olé gets the boot then yes, absolutely get Rodgers in. If he isn't doing a good job in a year then sack him as well and get the best available then. This obsession with finding a manager who will stay for 20 years is destroying the club.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

I honestly feel that those who want Rodgers are just desperate for anyone other than Ole.
Ole needs to go, now, but BR is not the man we need. The club needs to be brave with the next manager not safe.
Who would you pick right now?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's exactly what it is.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He would improve us, even get us playing some entertaining football but he isn’t the man to take us back to the top, to challenge Klopp, pep and Tuchel, I just can’t see it.

Not the top choice but I wouldn't be against it. He knows the league and has overachieved with both Liverpool and Leicester the majority of the time. Missing top 4 with Leicester is a blot, but should Leicester really be top 4 when you look at the squads and budgets?

He would be the least risky progressive manager, if that makes sense.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He would improve us, even get us playing some entertaining football but he isn’t the man to take us back to the top, to challenge Klopp, pep and Tuchel, I just can’t see it.
Agree with this, but sadly, I honestly don't think there are any managers in world football that get us close to Klopp and Pep. They are hands-down the best in the business, and until they move on to their next roles, it is going to be very hard to dislodge them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is a good manager but hopefully we don't hire him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree with this, but sadly, I honestly don't think there are any managers in world football that get us close to Klopp and Pep. They are hands-down the best in the business, and until they move on to their next roles, it is going to be very hard to dislodge them.
That's fine.

There's still no reason to think we can't get a manager as good as Tuchel though or even potentially as good as Tuchel, who has already bagged one major trophy and has Chelsea set to compete for another this season. You don't need to be an apparent generational talent like Klopp/Pep to be successful.

Rodgers isn't even that level though. Even compared with someone like Potter, at least we haven't already seen all Potter's flaws manifest themselves at one of the big English clubs and continue thereafter, so we could be hopeful in ignorance if nothing else. Whereas Rodgers is someone we've seen enough of at both Liverpool, Leicester and elsewhere to already know he isn't good enough.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He's the kind of recruit that screams "let's go for the top 4". Problem is, he's no guarantee of that and there are 4 bona-fide league-winning coaches at other clubs. I think Brendan would be okay and at least he'd start getting more out of Rashford, Sancho and probably Donny. However, he's ex-Liverpool and he's tainted by some of the bullshit he used to come out with. Dippers would (rightly) rip the p*ss for hiring him.

A 2.5 year deal would be the way to go here. No way should you be giving out massive long term deals until you get a man who proves himself. Is Woodward giving Ole an extension this summer and stating he was "more convinced than ever" about Ole the worst move he's made at United? There's plenty of them but that was senseless. There was the chance to fire him over Villareal or say "we'll spend on players this summer, now you go and win something". There was no benefit to giving him that contract.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Even over Ole I wouldn’t take Rodgers. It will just be panic appointment. If we are rushing to hire new manager, it should be Conte but we lost our chance so I would rather take our time and evaluate our options. I personally prefer both Ten Hag and VDS to come here and in fact I would take Pochettino (my original 3rd choice) and Zidane (my 4th choice) before Rodgers. Rodgers blew away his top 4 chance vs Lampard and Ole in 19/20 and also last season where Ole gave him free 3 points. The guy has proved himself that he has no plan B when his plan A doesn’t work and he is a bottler in major competition when given chances. We just cannot get it wrong again.

largelyworried

He's the kind of recruit that screams "let's go for the top 4". Problem is, he's no guarantee of that and there are 4 bona-fide league-winning coaches at other clubs. I think Brendan would be okay and at least he'd start getting more out of Rashford, Sancho and probably Donny. However, he's ex-Liverpool and he's tainted by some of the bullshit he used to come out with. Dippers would (rightly) rip the p*ss for hiring him.

A 2.5 year deal would be the way to go here. No way should you be giving out massive long term deals until you get a man who proves himself. Is Woodward giving Ole an extension this summer and stating he was "more convinced than ever" about Ole the worst move he's made at United? There's plenty of them but that was senseless. There was the chance to fire him over Villareal or say "we'll spend on players this summer, now you go and win something". There was no benefit to giving him that contract.
The contract issue is way overblown. At this point in time, the length of his contract is a nothing factor in deciding what comes next.

largelyworried

Problem is, its slim pickings. Zidane apparently is uninterested and most other options aren't available til either summer (Pochettino, Ten Haag) or after the World Cup (Enrique, Mancini). In terms of attainable candidates midseason, now Conte's gone, its hard to see past Potter or Rodgers, neither of whom are without risk.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
35% of posters would take the same guy who Liverpool thought wasn’t good enough for them? This is the guy they kicked out many years ago and went on to win the PL and CL! People here would rather hire *that* guy?
The same guy who got 84 points and 100+ goals with a dismal squad when he was at Liverpool. Yeah, I’d say it’s worth a shot. That’s the sort of season we can only dream of.

soapythecat

Who would you pick right now?
Unless we can tempt the right manager out of his job (I’d love ZZ but clearly not an option), then get a caretaker in. Look at the bounce we had with Ole after Jose. We could have a really good uplift in harmony amongst players if Ole and coaching changed. Whether it be Ralf R, L Blanc etc, I think there are plenty of options. We just need a change to happen. Long term I’d love the club to be brave and go for Ten Hag but I don’t think it will happen.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
That's fine.

There's still no reason to think we can't get a manager as good as Tuchel though or even potentially as good as Tuchel, who has already bagged one major trophy and has Chelsea set to compete for another this season. You don't need to be an apparent generational talent like Klopp/Pep to be successful.

Rodgers isn't even that level though. Even compared with someone like Potter, at least we haven't already seen all Potter's flaws manifest themselves at one of the big English clubs and continue thereafter, so we could be hopeful in ignorance if nothing else. Whereas Rodgers is someone we've seen enough of at both Liverpool, Leicester and elsewhere to already know he isn't good enough.
Personally, I think Rodgers is ahead of Potter currently, although agree that Potter has a higher ceiling. Whether he gets there is another thing.

I'm not massively keen on Rodgers as I agree he has rather obvious flaws. That said, I think he has improved massively as a manager since his stint at Liverpool. His achievements at Celtic and Leicester shouldn't be dismissed, and he's arguably achieved as much as Tuchel had prior to his appointment to Chelsea given the relative expectations of the clubs both have managed. Where I am hesitant is that I don't really know what his brand of football is. I think he's good at getting the most out of the players he has available, but doesn't come in with a style to impose - which is what our squad seems desperate for. Direction.

JB7

Personally, I think Rodgers is ahead of Potter currently, although agree that Potter has a higher ceiling. Whether he gets there is another thing.
I think if I was trying to look at it from a neutral point of view, Rodgers to United would open up the possibility of Potter to Leicester which is the step he needs to take next really. It would be a very interesting prospect all round.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I'm not massively keen on Rodgers as I agree he has rather obvious flaws. That said, I think he has improved massively as a manager since his stint at Liverpool. His achievements at Celtic and Leicester shouldn't be dismissed, and he's arguably achieved as much as Tuchel had prior to his appointment to Chelsea given the relative expectations of the clubs both have managed. Where I am hesitant is that I don't really know what his brand of football is. I think he's good at getting the most out of the players he has available, but doesn't come in with a style to impose - which is what our squad seems desperate for. Direction.
I don't see what he's supposedly done at Leicester that's such an achievement. The FA Cup is fine, but hardly a great basis for marking out a top level manager. And Leicester's league performances have got worse with each season he's been there.

Whoever handles his PR must be great, because people seem to view his time at Leicester in an oddly positive light.

JB7

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The same guy who got 84 points and 100+ goals with a dismal squad when he was at Liverpool. Yeah, I’d say it’s worth a shot. That’s the sort of season we can only dream of.
A squad with Gerrard, Henderson, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge and Sterling. And while getting close, he still failed. His team conceded 50 goals that season. Due to Ferguson being gone, and the other top teams being in a poor state there was a real chance for them that season. But they failed to take the opportunity. Leicester did two years later when Ranieri gave his team a proper structure and managed to build on their momentum. It has been a recurring theme with Rodgers in the PL. There was real chance in 20 and 21 for Leicester to get top 4. Not because Rodgers and Leicester was brilliant, but because Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and even LFC were failing. But somehow, he never managed to. And to a big degree, it is about a lack of structure of his teams.

I am not saying that between 60 and 70 points are poor for Leicester. It is probably where they should be when you look at their spending (+ they have a very good management helping the manager/coach). But sometimes, when there is a chance, you can see teams going the extra mile due to motivation and momentum. Like Leicester in '16. Or Liverpool when they won. A Rodger team never do*. They always fail. And in my opinion, it is due to a lack of structure.

I also think it is telling that as soon as Suarez left, he looked clueless at Liverpool. Unlike Klopp when Coutinho left, he failed to use the Suarez money wisely to build something sustainable. He failed at the excact thing he probably will need him for; re-building! Instead of working with Edwards & co he started blaming them.

*Maybe the FA-cup could be an indication that I am wrong.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't see what he's supposedly done at Leicester that's such an achievement. The FA Cup is fine, but hardly a great basis for marking out a top level manager. And Leicester's league performances have got worse with each season he's been there.

Whoever handles his PR must be great, because people seem to view his time at Leicester in an oddly positive light.
Tbf he did good job but looks worse because of their good position in the first half of the season.

Anyways going by playing style, Potter should be up there. His team plays very good football.

JB7

This is plainly wrong. They were stuck in mid-table when he took over and they rose a few places in his first season to finish in 9th or 10th. In his second season they finished 5th - were in the top 4 all season and they were one of a number of clubs who's form dropped off a cliff after project restart. In his third season they again finished 5th but got more points than the previous season and they won the FA Cup for the first time in the clubs history. Whether you like or dislike him, that's not PR it's factual.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah, it was a dismal squad. Compare it to our current squad. The difference is enormous.
Every squad in the league is stronger now. Demichelis and Nasri was regulars at City at the time. Dzeko/Negredo was rotating up top for them.

RedRover

A squad with Gerrard, Henderson, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge and Sterling. And while getting close, he still failed. His team conceded 50 goals that season. Due to Ferguson being gone, and the other top teams being in a poor state there was a real chance for them that season. But they failed to take the opportunity. Leicester did two years later when Ranieri gave his team a proper structure and managed to build on their momentum. It has been a recurring theme with Rodgers in the PL. There was real chance in 20 and 21 for Leicester to get top 4. Not because Rodgers and Leicester was brilliant, but because Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and even LFC were failing. But somehow, he never managed to. And to a big degree, it is about a lack of structure of his teams.

I am not saying that between 60 and 70 points are poor for Leicester. It is probably where they should be when you look at their spending (+ they have a very good management helping the manager/coach). But sometimes, when there is a chance, you can see teams going the extra mile due to motivation and momentum. Like Leicester in '16. Or Liverpool when they won. A Rodger team never do*. They always fail. And in my opinion, it is due to a lack of structure.

I also think it is telling that as soon as Suarez left, he looked clueless at Liverpool. Unlike Klopp when Coutinho left, he failed to use the Suarez money wisely to build something sustainable. He failed at the excact thing he probably will need him for; re-building! Instead of working with Edwards & co he started blaming them.

*Maybe the FA-cup could be an indication that I am wrong.
Was he making decisions on players then. Was this not when they had the "transfer committee"? He's bought well for Leicester I'd say.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not the season we want to aim for.

redsunited

I will stop watching football if we appoint another incompetent manager as permanent manager as it is only blind hope to succeed in the times of great managers managing all title rivals. Brendan Rodgers is better than OGS but only good for mounting a top 4 challenge, not the title. The Ronaldo+Cavani+350m+ spent on last 4 years to build the squad will be wasted if we dither again.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Was he making decisions on players then. Was this not when they had the "transfer committee"? He's bought well for Leicester I'd say.
Some where his. Others were not. Most telling, Liverpool has recruited alot better after he was gone. An Klopp gives credit to the people Rodgers where blaming. Rodgers even tried switching Henderson with Dempsey.

At Leicester they also have something similar to a "transfer committee". They have bought well for several years (Kante, Ndidi, Mahrez, Vardy, Maguire, Soyuncu, Evans, Tielesman, Pereira, Schmeichel). Long before Rodgers. I suspect that a lot of the good signings is due to their recruitment staff. Not Rodgers.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’d give my left bollock for 84 points and 100 goals by the end of this season.
I'm sorry but don't you get tired of 9 years not winning PL? And you want Rodgers to console yourself a little bit but at the end it will end up with the same pain.

JB7

I'm sorry but don't you get tired of 9 years not winning PL? And you want Rodgers to console yourself a little bit but at the end it will end up with the same pain.
Go on then. Who's our hero that will definitely lead us back to glory?

SATA

He had Sturridge and Suarez playing well as a partnership, didn’t he? And was it Mignolet he had in goal when they were challenging for the league? I think he’s a decent manager and will do better at a club with much better resources and quality. But i am not so sure about his purchases of players though. I seem to remember he bought a few duds like Benteke

Status
Not open for further replies.