• No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm sorry but don't you get tired of 9 years not winning PL? And you want Rodgers to console yourself a little bit but at the end it will end up with the same pain.
I don’t know what point you’re making. I do know that 84 points would give us the best chance we’ve had of winning the league since Fergie retired and 100 goals would be the most fun season to watch in at least a decade. I also think the squad we have now is a hell of a lot better than the Liverpool squad he had then (or any Leicester squad he’s had). The strength in depth is a different league entirely.

MayfieldsFinest

I think I'd have to take a hiatus from football if Rodger's takes over, that would be a new low for me. The guy is a regional radio station sales manager.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s mad when you consider how much currency United fans get out of Slippy G memes that we’re so quick to forget how incredibly close Rodgers came to winning the league the one and only time he managed a club with the resources to do it. If Gerrard wore a proper set of studs it would be him that ended their 30 years of hurt, not Klopp.

Ixion

I'm sorry but don't you get tired of 9 years not winning PL? And you want Rodgers to console yourself a little bit but at the end it will end up with the same pain.
He said he'd give his bollock to get to 84 points by the end of THIS season. It would be a minor miracle if we did that at this point with our start and you're questioning it? 84 points has even won the league a few times. Everyone would snap your hand off if we could finish on 84 points given at our current rate we're on course for 59 points.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t know what point you’re making. I do know that 84 points would give us the best chance we’ve had of winning the league since Fergie retired and 100 goals would be the most fun season to watch in at least a decade. I also think the squad we have now is a hell of a lot better than the Liverpool squad he had then (or any Leicester squad he’s had). The strength in depth is a different league entirely.
The point is Man United are about winning the league or UCL, while 84 points with 100 goals in one season don't give us best chance to win us the league or UCL against the likes of Tuchel, Pep, and Klopp now. If Rodgers couldn't beat Lampard or Ole in 19/20 for top 4 spot after having huge lead points, how is he going to do it with our current squad against teams with better players and managers like Chelsea, City, and Liverpool? He would still bottle it.

Mainoldo

The point is Man United are about winning the league or UCL, while 84 points with 100 goals in one season don't give us best chance to win us the league or UCL against the likes of Tuchel, Pep, and Klopp now. If Rodgers couldn't beat Lampard or Ole in 19/20 for top 4 spot after having huge lead points, how is he going to do it with our current squad against teams with better players and managers like Chelsea, City, and Liverpool? He would still bottle it.
Im not disagreeing with you. But they had Johnny Evans. We had Maguire, Chelsea had Rudiger.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He said he'd give his bollock to get to 84 points by the end of THIS season. It would be a minor miracle if we did that at this point with our start and you're questioning it? 84 points has even won the league a few times. Everyone would snap your hand off if we could finish on 84 points.
But Rodgers didn't achieve that 84 points by taking in charged Liverpool from mid November.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is plainly wrong. They were stuck in mid-table when he took over and they rose a few places in his first season to finish in 9th or 10th. In his second season they finished 5th - were in the top 4 all season and they were one of a number of clubs who's form dropped off a cliff after project restart. In his third season they again finished 5th but got more points than the previous season and they won the FA Cup for the first time in the clubs history. Whether you like or dislike him, that's not PR it's factual.
I meant his full seasons, so fine if you want to include the season he took over then he did improve them between the season he took over and his first full season.

But Leicester's actual league performances (as distinct from their points totals, which is a poor way of measuring underlying performance levels between seasons) were worse in their second 5th place finish season than their first. And they've obviously declined even further this season, with Leicester being very poor.

Essentially the job he's done at Leicester is about as good as the one Moyes did at Everton, with Rodgers winning the FA Cup (where Moyes only reached a final) but Moyes actually getting into the CL places (where Rodgers oversaw two botched attempts). As with Moyes, if you're getting linked to jobs like the Manchester United one off the back of that then you're selling yourself very well.

Though Moyes at least had the advantage of not having already failed at one of the big English clubs. And he had also built his Everton side over an extended period, whereas Rodgers' current Leicester team was (with a few exceptions like Castagne) is the one he inherited.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Im not disagreeing with you. But they had Johnny Evans. We had Maguire, Chelsea had Rudiger.
You are missing the point. So according to you Leicester had CB level below like Evans to compete with Maguire under Ole management for top 4. But the end result he couldn't do it.

While if he comes here, he will be in the same situation that he will have CB level below like Maguire to compete with Van Dijk and Dias under Klopp and Pep management for league title.

See the similar pattern here? If anything it will be worse if he comes here because he is not just competing against better players but also competing against better managers than Ole and Lampard.

gajender

You are missing the point. So according to you Leicester had CB level below like Evans to compete with Maguire under Ole management for top 4 but the end result he couldn't do it.

While if he comes here, he will be in the same situation that he will have CB level below like Maguire to compete with Van Dijk and Dias under Klopp and Pep management for league title.

See the similar pattern here?
So you are conveniently ignoring Varane or you don't rate him at all.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surely no one who has complained that we don't have an elite manager is convincing themselves that Rodgers is the right man.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Maybe we should get Ranieri in then? He actually won it. With a much worse team than Rodgers had at Liverpool.

Skills

Snitch
The biggest problem with Rodgers is that he's got a massive head and an ego. And the managers position at United would just make it worse.

The less influential he was at Liverpool the better they were. As soon as he started to gain power/influence thats when the ship started to sink. He's a bad fit for the club, because of that reason because managers seat here has way too much power and someone like Rodgers needs to be kept in his place.

I'm not surprised he's struggling this season after winning the FA cup. That FA cup win ballooned his ego and head to unprecedented levels.

Redlyn

No to Rodgers. I appreciate he has done well and wouldn't be terrible option, but not a great one either. I think Leicester is exactly the level he should be at. Need an elite manager in terms of trophies and reputation whoever that may be.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So you are conveniently ignoring Varane or you don't rate him at all.
Why do you think the original poster also is conveniently ignoring Tielemans, Ndidi, and Vardy who are way better than what we had in 19/20? You will understand what the point is if you know the answer.

Mainoldo

You are missing the point. So according to you Leicester had CB level below like Evans to compete with Maguire under Ole management for top 4. But the end result he couldn't do it.

See the similar pattern here? If anything it will be worse if he comes here because he is not just competing against better players but also competing against better managers than Ole and Lampard.
No. We have Raphael Varane. So I don’t see your point.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
No. He’s CEO of Ajax. United are a a huge business. He might have some football knowledge but name me a player who is CEO at Madrid, Juventus, PSG, City, Chelsea.
Are you deliberately not mentioning Bayern, therewith not havign to compromise in your narrative?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Yes to Ten Hag. No to VDS. No more ex players
Don't be daft. VDS is ex-United, but he's also an Ajax man who has learnt the job and shown performance. Not like Neville or Rio (who this weekend said he'd be a "f***in amazing Director of Football). Van der Sar has proven he doesn't have that same ignorance and sense of entitlement.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. He’s CEO of Ajax. United are a a huge business. He might have some football knowledge but name me a player who is CEO at Madrid, Juventus, PSG, City, Chelsea.
VDS has CEO experience and education qualification, which are the reasons why I vote for him to be the next CEO. Not because he is an ex-player mate.

Polar

Brendan is one of the safest bets. He will introduce a better system and improve our consistency. He will definitely bring us in the fight for top-4 - which now unfortunately have to be our goal (PL) this season. Maybe next year to. Probably no manager in the world is able to bring us a PL or CL title the next two years.

Mainoldo

Are you deliberately not mentioning Bayern, therewith not havign to compromise in your narrative?
Im deliberately not mentioning Bayern because they have a monopoly similar to Ajax where other clubs just can’t financially compete and already surrender to challenge when it comes to finance and players.

But feel free the name me clubs with similar surroundings.

Mainoldo

VDS has CEO experience and education qualification, which are the reasons why I vote for him to be the next CEO. Not because he is an ex-player mate.
His got a piece of paper. You and me literally no nothing. Before him were Ajax ran less sufficient? What actually has he done well as a CEO?

Mainoldo

If you include Varane why didn't you mention Ndidi, Tielemans, and Vardy are better than our midfields and striker in 19/20?
Okay let’s go.

so who do they have Pogba and Bruno level? Ndidi is good at his job.. he’s not a great player.

Vardy? Rashford, Martial and Cavani.

Like you are just being silly.

ColvaleGoa

Brendan Rodgers is a yes for me.

This might be the next step in his career which is only getting better. This season is a bit of a blip at Leicester I guess.

I don't know anything about his ego trip which seems to turn some supporters off him.

Ten Haag ...will be a massive unknown . PL pressure is pretty much its own kind of a beast! Will he be able to do it ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His got a piece of paper. You and me literally no nothing. Before him were Ajax ran less sufficient? What actually has he done well as a CEO?
Before Ed, Man United ran much more sufficient. You think it's easy to maintain club run properly?

JB7

Interesting that one can say Manchester United is too big for Van Der Sar at the same time as touting Ten Haag as a potential manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Okay let’s go.

so who do they have Pogba and Bruno level? Ndidi is good at his job.. he’s not a great player.

Vardy? Rashford, Martial and Cavani.

Like you are just being silly.
So who do we have Trent, Cancelo, James, Matip, Dias, VVD, Laporte, Silva, Rudiger, Jorginho, Kante, Rodri, Gundogan, Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho level?

Your argument about Leicester and Man United 19/20, I can also use it on Man United and the other three Chelsea, City, and Liverpool with Klopp, Tuchel, and Pep.

Noc-Z

ffs
Can't believe things are so bad I actually would. He came so close with a Liverpool team that didn't have the quality it does now. And he knows the league well. I just don't know if he's elite...we need a complete overhaul and to be challenging for the league and champs league. I think he's just short of that. 100x better than Ole but still I'm not totally convinced he can revolutionise us as required. Problem is I don't see any outstanding elite option. Rangnick is the main one for me now as he also has the director of football type credentials.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Im deliberately not mentioning Bayern because they have a monopoly similar to Ajax where other clubs just can’t financially compete and already surrender to challenge when it comes to finance and players.

But feel free the name me clubs with similar surroundings.
A ''monopoly' is something that can only exist or be created when a club is well run and has a good structure. Van der Sar and Overmars took reign at Ajax in 2012. Before that Ajax were Champions times out of the thirteen years before they tookover and played Uefa Cup/Europa League way more often than Champions League. Before 18/19 Ajax had only survived the CL group stages once this century.

Even though Ajax had an incredibly successful last couple of years, PSV is still the most successful club this century domestically in The Netherlands. When vd Sar/Overmars joined Ajax, PSV had the monopoly in The Netherlands.

Not sure about the Bayern timelines obviously as Im not a major fan there, but your argument is invalid from the Ajax perspective.

croadyman

Yes I will admit he would be below the likes of Ten Hag, Zidane, Pochettino, Mancini & Enrique, however IF he could somehow find that form of 13/14 with the scousers for us then I could have some optimism of it working with him

slyadams

I would take him and that's for three reasons:
  1. He's better than Ole.
  2. I have zero faith at all that the board would go out and get one of the elites. So if its a choice between Rodgers and the board choosing literally anyone else, I'll take Rodgers.
  3. I actually think he's very good and given a top squad with transfer support he'll do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.