• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

They aren’t, but we can do better than Brendon. Ragnick with Ten Hag succeeding in the summer, Gallardo, Galtier, heck even Potter.

The options are out there, but our board don’t want footballing purists or to take risks with a more progressive albeit unproven appointment, they want “PL proven” yes men who won’t kick up a fuss.
Gallardo and Ten Hag would be my choices, as well. Rodgers only if he agrees on a 1 year deal and gets binned after the season and him agreeing to that is just fantasy. We're not getting Zidane or Conte, so there's no point in making these half measures like Rodgers. He's miles better than Ole, but that's not a high bar. We need the cream of the crop if we're gonna compete with Klopp or Guardiola.

Stig

Personally, absolutely not. Klopp is one of my favourite managers but unfortunately he has been on the other side. My own opinion though, i don't expect others to share it.
You do know where Sir Matt played football don't you ?

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Didn't Fofana come in during his tenure? Vestergaard was a truly awful signing.
Signed from Ex Leicester boss Claude Puel. Apparently he’d been on the radar for some time.

The recruitment at Leicester is a double edged sword, as a lot of it is to do with the scouting team in reality.

Veestergard / Bertrand were acquired this season to replace Morgan and Fuchs. Neither were classed as starters but got thrust into the team after injuries. We’ll see if we improve once the likes of Fofana comes back, as in reality; we are not that many points off the top 6 again, with the table being tight.

redsunited

Don't be daft. VDS is ex-United, but he's also an Ajax man who has learnt the job and shown performance. Not like Neville or Rio (who this weekend said he'd be a "f***in amazing Director of Football). Van der Sar has proven he doesn't have that same ignorance and sense of entitlement.
Football operations and commercial/club operations are different qualifications. Both needs right horses to pull. VDS or any footballer should be no where near to CEO position at a big club.

Interesting that one can say Manchester United is too big for Van Der Sar at the same time as touting Ten Haag as a potential manager.
Ten Haag has successfully built a team and proved in champions league. Same way SAF proved in Europe from a non elite league. It is clear that he will manage in one of the top clubs in future.

CEO of Man United is managing 600+m a year company. VDS being CEO in Ajax is not a qualification worth being a candidate for it.

Dont mix football with a company. For Example, David Gill is not from football.

The responsibilities from wikipedia of David Gill "Gill was promoted to the title of Group Chief operating officer, allowing him to concentrate on managing the day-to-day operations of the business (including sponsorship & marketing, business development, financial services, conference & catering, ticketing & membership and group property)"

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Signed from Ex Leicester boss Claude Puel. Apparently he’d been on the radar for some time.

The recruitment at Leicester is a double edged sword, as a lot of it is to do with the scouting team in reality.

Veestergard / Bertrand were acquired this season to replace Morgan and Fuchs. Neither were classed as starters but got thrust into the team after injuries. We’ll see if we improve once the likes of Fofana comes back, as in reality; we are not that many points off the top 6 again, with the table being tight.
Yeah I think that’s the case with many sides now, I think the days of the manager having total freedom in that aspect are long gone.

Yeah I assumed the idea was that he’d be backup, just never been a fan of the player. I think a lot of sides would miss someone like Fofana

lex talionis

That's if we act like a beggar. Put 20m annual salary, those options will look much bigger.
Doubtful. The prize catch is Ten Hag, but he’s not leaving Ajax in mid season. Zidane has no interest in managing a PL club.

The time to have lured a top manager was the summer. We even had a great option available to us last week. We are truly fecked by the board.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because he wasn’t a Leicester player. He was on loan there & was very publicly available to anyone in the summer for £40m.
Why him being very publicly available to anyone in the summer for 40m is relevant to the argument? Don't you understand what the argument was?

As for using the Belgian National team as an argument for a player being a poor signing, that’s comical.
I used it to show you why I don't see him as a good player, thus I don't consider him as good recruitment. Why don't you tell me how and why Castagne has became a good signing? You only listed some name randomly for no reason.

JB7

Why him being very publicly available to anyone in the summer for 40m is relevant to the argument? Don't you understand what the argument was?

I used it to show you why I don't see him as a good player, thus I don't consider him as good recruitment. Why don't you tell me how and why Castagne has became a good signing? You only listed some name randomly for no reason.
Because he was not their player and could have gone elsewhere. Therefore he is a player signed under Rodgers and must be considered very good recruitment.

No, you used that to show why Roberto Martinez doesn't see him as good of an option as the other players. In reality his performances for Leicester have been pretty good, he is very versatile and helps them maintain attacks well as he keeps possession well high up the pitch. He's not particularly flashy but he's a good player and has been a very useful signing for them.

The other names I listed were other good signings under him. There have been some which didn't pay off but that is the same with most managers frankly, particularly at a club like Leciester where the good signings are supposedly down to the scouting team and the bad signings are supposedly down to the manager. Frankly there have also been signings which haven't necessarily paid off due to vast improvements in other players in the squad, such as Iheanacho, Harvey Barnes, Thomas & even the likes of Mendy and Amartey at times, which is surely more attributed to good coaching.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Gallardo and Ten Hag would be my choices, as well. Rodgers only if he agrees on a 1 year deal and gets binned after the season and him agreeing to that is just fantasy. We're not getting Zidane or Conte, so there's no point in making these half measures like Rodgers. He's miles better than Ole, but that's not a high bar. We need the cream of the crop if we're gonna compete with Klopp or Guardiola.
Serious question, not trolling. Given the structure of your club, do you think you could attract “the cream of the crop?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because he was not their player and could have gone elsewhere. Therefore he is a player signed under Rodgers and must be considered very good recruitment.
I asked you why him being very publicly available to anyone in the summer for 40m is relevant to the argument? And your answer is because he was not their player and could have gone elsewhere. That's the most comical answer I have ever heard. That's like saying, the reason why sky's colour is blue during daylight is relevant to the argument because the sky's colour is not yellow and it could have been green.

No, you used that to show why Roberto Martinez doesn't see him as good of an option as the other players. In reality his performances for Leicester have been pretty good, he is very versatile and helps them maintain attacks well as he keeps possession well high up the pitch. He's not particularly flashy but he's a good player and has been a very useful signing for them.

The other names I listed were other good signings under him. There have been some which didn't pay off but that is the same with most managers frankly, particularly at a club like Leciester where the good signings are supposedly down to the scouting team and the bad signings are supposedly down to the manager. Frankly there have also been signings which haven't necessarily paid off due to vast improvements in other players in the squad, such as Iheanacho, Harvey Barnes, Thomas & even the likes of Mendy and Amartey at times, which is surely more attributed to good coaching.
If his performance for Leicester have been pretty good then he should be a better option as wingback than someone like Hazard, Trossard, and Menuier. Two of those players are not even wing back or fullback ffs. Do you see the connection now? So far majority his recruitment been poor because he has no clue how to find players that can fit to his system. And that's why Tielemans shouldn't be considered in the list of this argument because the focus of the criticism is incapability to find players that can fit to his system, while Tielemans was already been proven to be able to fit in the system before being signed permanently.

JB7

I asked you why him being very publicly available to anyone in the summer for 40m is relevant to the argument? And your answer is because he was not their player and could have gone elsewhere. That's the most comical answer I have ever heard. That's like saying, the reason why sky's colour is blue during daylight is relevant to the argument because the sky's colour is not yellow and it could have been green.

If his performance for Leicester have been pretty good then he should be a better option as wingback than someone like Hazard, Trossard, and Menuier. Two of those players are not even wing back or fullback ffs. Do you see the connection now? So far majority his recruitment been poor because he has no clue how to find players that can fit to his system. And that's why Tielemans shouldn't be considered in the list of this argument because the focus of the criticism is incapability to find players that can fit to his system, while Tielemans was already been proven to be able to fit in the system before being signed permanently.
You are clearly completely insane and seemingly incapable of reasonable debate so I think we should leave it there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You are clearly completely insane and seemingly incapable of reasonable debate so I think we should leave it there.
You need to learn some manner first. Just because you don't accept what I told you doesn't mean you can start calling poster insane or joke here, I could actually see it the other way around.

JB7

You need to learn some manner first. Just because you don't accept what I told you doesn't mean I am the one insane here, I could actually see the other way around.
Except you couldn't see any side but your own. You keep banging on that Tielmans wasn't his signing and that Castagne can't be a good player because he isn't first choice for Belgium. And you then changed the entire point a whole day later to say you mean he can't find players to fit his system.

You don't think he's the answer. Cool. I don't know if he is or isn't the answer but I disagree with your reasoning. Lets leave it there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Except you couldn't see any side but your own. You keep banging on that Tielmans wasn't his signing and that Castagne can't be a good player because he isn't first choice for Belgium. And you then changed the entire point a whole day later to say you mean he can't find players to fit his system.

You don't think he's the answer. Cool. I don't know if he is or isn't the answer but I disagree with your reasoning. Lets leave it there.
I haven't changed the entire point a whole day mate. I told you what was the argument yesterday (below quote) so you could understand but you ignored it because it doesn't suit to your narrative. In addition, you keep saying Castagne been good because he is versatile and can keep possession. Is that how you measure player's performance?? If all you can do is being versatile and keep possession then it's not a good signing for team like Leicester, no wonder he is below in wingback pecking order by wingers like Hazard and Trossard.

The point of the recruitment argument I started is the ability to find the right players not the ability to convince the player to stay at the club. I don't know how you can even include Tielemans into that argument. The rest are meh and terrible, you are just pushing it to suit your argument. No one can justify that Catagne has been good signing, the guy can't even start over Trossard, Hazarrd, and Meunier as wingback in Belgium national team. You see my view as a joke but based on point and fact I just told you in this comment, I see your view as a joke unfortunately.

Darlington Padgett

He managed Liverpool, fans won't have any patience with him. Neville, Rio and the rest of the club legends will destroy him if he has a slow start.

Sviken

Serious question, not trolling. Given the structure of your club, do you think you could attract “the cream of the crop?
Manchester United is still Manchester United. One of the biggest clubs in the world wit buttload of money. If Roman can still attract quality coaches all over despite sacking them usually after a year or two, then I'm sure we can too. Which managers actually rejected us aside from Zidane (who doesn't want to manage in the PL yet) or Klopp (who we tried getting mid season, combined with Eddie's magnificient "charm'").

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I mean anything would likely be better than Ole right now, but we need to look at a manager that takes us to the level we ought to be at. Otherwise it's 3 more years of pissing about, likely minimum 5 before we win anything, best case.

Is he better than Klopp?

Is he likely to be able to outdo Klopp over a season, or Pep?

If the answer is no, no manager should be considered.
Better in that case to take a manager that has the potential to be better than them.

SambaBoy

Is he a top manager? No.

Is he an improvement on Ole? Yes

Would it be worth getting him? No.

I hate this notion that because someone is a better manager than Ole, we should just appoint him. I acknowledge that Rodgers is above most managers but he's still not elite tier. Would we really challenge for the title under him? I doubt it, so getting him to secure 4th and play better football is not really worth it. He would come and get at least 1-3 seasons, and we could just still be in the same place in 3 years, calling for his head with not much progress made. If we are to sack Ole, then we need to get a top class manager in. Someone who will challenge for titles and take us deep in the CL.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Manchester United is still Manchester United. One of the biggest clubs in the world wit buttload of money. If Roman can still attract quality coaches all over despite sacking them usually after a year or two, then I'm sure we can too. Which managers actually rejected us aside from Zidane (who doesn't want to manage in the PL yet) or Klopp (who we tried getting mid season, combined with Eddie's magnificient "charm'").
But your owners take money out of your club. The oil men just pile into their toys. I think that in the new age, you either jump into bed with a despot or lag behind. You are simply not at the top of the tree where finance is concerned, and money talks.

George the Cat

You do realise it’s going to be a total let down , Rodgers would be ok but it’ll be someone like Southgate who they’ll appoint.

Frank Grimes

I keep seeing people saying Rodgers has a low star with Liverpool fans, why is that? I know it didn't end well, but was it that bad?
Liverpool fans didn't want to blame Slippy G for blowing the league in 2014 so they blamed Rodgers instead for the Palace game the game after when in reality the horse had bolted by then thanks to Gerrard's feck up.

Sviken

But your owners take money out of your club. The oil men just pile into their toys. I think that in the new age, you either jump into bed with a despot or lag behind. You are simply not at the top of the tree where finance is concerned, and money talks.
Even with the current owners we've still spend more than anyone bar City (and I assume PSG) in the past 5 years. United are a juggernaut in terms of financial resources. It's the only thing keeping us alive at this point. Yes, the Glazers are terrible owners and I much rather see the club relegated and them gone them than to continue existing with them in this state of weird status quo, but even with them hampering us we're still capable enough to compete with almost any club. And quite frankly it's not like Gallardo and Ten Hag are the cream of the crop like Guardiola or Klopp are, or even someone like Conte, for example, they just have the potential to be. Call them wonderkid managers. You invest in their potential and hope they justify it.

ti vu

Is he better than Klopp?

Is he likely to be able to outdo Klopp over a season, or Pep?

If the answer is no, no manager should be considered.
Better in that case to take a manager that has the potential to be better than them.
Nobody else available that can outdo Klopp, Pep, Tuchel.

What we can expect is a short term fix: playing better in a preferred style, while domastic cup like winning FA Cup = preventing this squad to complete crash and end up another long rebuild in near future. Give him short term contract, and don't renew unless he overachieving by title challenge. Always look out for a better manager availability.

I don't think that feasible under our current state of Glazers. Just saying there is a possibility for Rodgers level of manager for our situation if our directors are competent.

Nobody else available that can outdo Klopp, Pep, Tuchel.
People said that about Klopp and Pep before Tuchel arrived who apparently who a hipster manager post-Dortmund/pre-PSG and "hadn't won anything of note outside of PSG", where he ultimately ended up losing his job after doing a pretty average job if we're honest.

Ten Hag is the obvious candidate for someone who has built two teams in 4 years that punch way above their weight in Europe.

What we can expect is a short term fix: playing better in a preferred style, while domastic cup like winning FA Cup = preventing this squad to complete crash and end up another long rebuild in near future.
Plenty of interim possibilities could give us that too, Blanc for example had his Bordeaux side playing some lovely stuff and punching way above their weight. Rangnick would be another.

Give him short term contract, and don't renew unless he overachieving by title challenge. Always look out for a better manager availability.
Why the feck would Rogers leave Leicester for a short term United contract? That's simply pie in the sky stuff. He's need a bare minimum 3 year bumper deal to leave mid-season, hell he'd ask for that at least that in the Summer also.

I don't think that feasible under our current state of Glazers. Just saying there is a possibility for Rodgers level of manager for our situation if our directors are competent.
The Glazers have hired 4 completely different kind of managers, just as Liverpool did pre-Klopp with Dalglish, Rogers and Klopp so anything is possible. Klopp and Pep would obviously succeed here with this transfer budget.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Football operations and commercial/club operations are different qualifications. Both needs right horses to pull. VDS or any footballer should be no where near to CEO position at a big club.
But VDS actually IS the CEO of Ajax today (reasonably big club). He has got a degree in business administration and worked as Ajax' head of marketing before becoming there CEO, and it looks like he is quite successful at it, isn't he?

Even bigger club which is lead by former players as CEO: Bayern Munich. Now Oliver Kahn (also got a MBA degree), before him Karl-Heinz Rummenige.

Why should it be a problem if a former player actually gets qualified for such a job and then takes it?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think I'd rather watch Ole think he's close to whatever it is he thinks he's close to, and the owners continue to use him as a shield, with the supporter base alienated in its growing apathy, being ridiculed by opposition fans and every journalist working in football, than have Brendan Rodgers as manager of my club. Even though he's probably a thousand times better coach than Ole can dream of becoming. Neither of them have any self awareness, while I actually think Ole is a likeable bloke.

Mainoldo

Anyone know what his release clause is so I can have some perspective of why this isn’t getting done?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We have the highest wage bill in football and have spent the second most on transfer fees the last 8 years. What are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.