• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I think I'd rather watch Ole think he's close to whatever it is he thinks he's close to, and the owners continue to use him as a shield, with the supporter base alienated in its growing apathy, being ridiculed by opposition fans and every journalist working in football, than have Brendan Rodgers as manager of my club. Even though he's probably a thousand times better coach than Ole can dream of becoming. Neither of them have any self awareness, while I actually think Ole is a likeable bloke.
Jesus your standards are in the bloody bin then

RedDevilQuebecois

If Rodgers is an indication of how low we have fallen in terms of the ambition level in a manager, then we should have gone for Eddie Howe before Newcastle snatched him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I asked you why him being very publicly available to anyone in the summer for 40m is relevant to the argument? And your answer is because he was not their player and could have gone elsewhere. That's the most comical answer I have ever heard.
You are clearly completely insane and seemingly incapable of reasonable debate so I think we should leave it there.
You need to learn some manner first.
:lol:

iHicksy

But your owners take money out of your club. The oil men just pile into their toys. I think that in the new age, you either jump into bed with a despot or lag behind. You are simply not at the top of the tree where finance is concerned, and money talks.
Sorry but this is absolute drivel - Even in a time when City and Chelsea are backed by shady rich owners United still out spend them in both transfers fees and especially Staff and player wages. One thing United can offer is a better financial packages than anyone else. Spending all this money so poorly is half the reason we're in the state we are. We are still absolutely at the top of the tree where money is concerned, because that's the only thing our owners have been concerned with for a long long time.

The Bloody-Nine

The worst manager in the top two divisions took the team to 3rd and 2nd with the worst coaching staff in history? feck me replacing him will be a piece of piss. Let’s get Steve McLaren in. Guaranteed to get at least 20 more points. Can’t possibly fail.
Give him half a billion and he'd probably exceed Ole's "achievements". Which mostly consist of not being Mourinho.

Mainoldo

The worst manager in the top two divisions took the team to 3rd and 2nd with the worst coaching staff in history? feck me replacing him will be a piece of piss. Let’s get Steve McLaren in. Guaranteed to get at least 20 more points. Can’t possibly fail.
How many medals he won? Did you see him get absolutely schooled by a world class manager over the weekend? The man didn’t even make a sub or even try to counter Ole’s subs because they simple had no effect. Then we get rumours today that Ole was impressed with Sancho’s dribbles so now he hope he can play Wing back.

Considering he came on and played on the left :lol: You cant Make it up.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a manger so tactically clueless at a big club like him. Can he even coach? Oh yeah he doesn’t do the coaching. Can he even manage? Oh yeah he puts planners into the team after injury with only one day training then the continue to stink out the place for 5 consecutive games.

But no let’s not get Rodgers. We are fine with this bloke.

Abraxas

If Rodgers is an indication of how low we have fallen in terms of the ambition level in a manager, then we should have gone for Eddie Howe before Newcastle snatched him.
How does this make any sense? Rodgers is a demonstrably better manager. He's been at bigger clubs, played more sensible football (Eddie Howe could not build a defence for love nor money at Bournemouth) and has better results.

I'm not that keen on Rodgers to be honest, he'd be far down my list but come on...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't understand how, suddenly, Rodgers has become the main candidate for the Man Utd job according to the media.

Even if you don't rate him Ole's history with the club gives him some kudos with the players. He can always fall back on his six Premier Leagues, including a treble, and say: 'I was there, I know how to win.' Not everyone is going to buy it, especially now given the tactical mess our team has been this season, but its something...

...What's Rodgers got?

When Ronaldo and Varane look at this guy telling them how they're going to win games is he going to be taken seriously?

IMO you cannot go from a Man Utd legend to a former Liverpool manager. First time we stumble the crowd is going to start groaning. Even if people don't complain in the ground, quite soon afterwards people are start asking: 'Why have we got an ex Scouser managing us?' The first time we get beat by Liverpool under him the Liverpool fans will all be singing: 'Brendan give us a wave' and laughing about 'Agent Brendan.'

This really hasn't been thought through.

Ole's time has come, we can all see that. However, if we're going to replace him its gotta be for someone with a big reputation. Someone the superstars will respect. Brendan isn't going to be able to handle that dressing room. Its one thing coaching young, up and comers, who the superb Leicester scouting network have found for you. Its another telling established stars that you have the answers and getting them to buy into that.

None of them will be thinking: 'Yeah, Brendan. He's going to be able to match up with Pep or Klopp.'

captaincantona

...What's Rodgers got?

When Ronaldo and Varane look at this guy telling them how they're going to win games is he going to be taken seriously?
In all fairness which viable candidate (Zidane told us where to go!) could dictate to those two? None...this type of assessment would seemingly rule out Ten Haag...and Poch for that matter...Who has won anything of note and is currently unemployed/at a club where they would possibly have their head turned...Allegri?

I want a new manager in as opposed to just seeing Ole gone. Interim managers come with their own issues. I’m not sure there is an easy fix...kicking Ole out is only step one of a tricky process that will impact our club for at least another 3 years if we get it wrong...then we are into Liverpool drought territory. We need a bit of calm and a bit of perspective. The club should have had contingencies but if my aunt had bollox and all that...what matters now is that we don’t go from the frying pan to the fire.

Withnail

I don't understand how, suddenly, Rodgers has become the main candidate for the Man Utd job according to the media.

Even if you don't rate him Ole's history with the club gives him some kudos with the players. He can always fall back on his six Premier Leagues, including a treble, and say: 'I was there, I know how to win.' Not everyone is going to buy it, especially now given the tactical mess our team has been this season, but its something...

...What's Rodgers got?

IMO you cannot go from a Man Utd legend to a former Liverpool manager. First time we stumble the crowd is going to start groaning. Even if people don't complain in the ground, quite soon afterwards people are start asking: 'Why have we got an ex Scouser managing us?' The first time we get beat by Liverpool under him the Liverpool fans will all be singing: 'Brendan give us a wave' and laughing about 'Agent Brendan.'

Ole's time has come, we can all see that. However, if we're going to replace him its gotta be for someone with a big reputation. Someone the superstars will respect. Brendan isn't going to be able to handle that dressing room. Its one thing coaching young, up and comers, who the superb Leicester scouting network have found for you. Its another telling established stars that you have the answers and getting them to buy into that.

None of them will be thinking: 'Yeah, Brendan. He's going to be able to match up with Pep or Klopp.'
I don't think he'd be good enough to win the league so it would be a bit of a pointless move for me.

I personally don't like him, his teams have never really had a good defensive record and our next manager will have to be able to tighten things up at the back.

People have also mentioned the recruitment at Leicester under him. I'm not sure this can be put down to him as their recruitment was very good before he arrived and he doesn't have the best track record with signings prior to that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In all fairness which viable candidate (Zidane told us where to go!) could dictate to those two? None...this type of assessment would seemingly rule out Ten Haag...and Poch for that matter...Who has won anything of note and is currently unemployed/at a club where they would possibly have their head turned...Allegri?

I want a new manager in as opposed to just seeing Ole gone. Interim managers come with their own issues. I’m not sure there is an easy fix...kicking Ole out is only step one of a tricky process that will impact our club for at least another 3 years if we get it wrong...then we are into Liverpool drought territory. We need a bit of calm and a bit of perspective. The club should have had contingencies but if my aunt had bollox and all that...what matters now is that we don’t go from the frying pan to the fire.
That's fair, but they have at least managed big clubs at the highest level. Rodgers' Europa League record is dire, nevermind Champions League. I also think the criticisms @Withnail makes about his defensive coaching, our main problem, are accurate.

And I say again:

How will people react when the Liverpool fans start singing: 'Agent Brendan give us a wave'? Cos, me personally, yeah its gonna get to me. No doubt about that.

And people will say well Liverpool fans are already taunting us about Ole. They are but Ole's at least one of our own. I've seen Ole deliver stuff for United, yes, as a player, but they're still good memories. Why would I want to be ribbed about employing a guy who I have no connection with, who was deemed not good enough for Liverpool and fired?

He was in that stupid Being Liverpool documentary. Now you want to make him Man Utd manager? FFS.

If United appoint Brendan, unless he wins the title or the Champions League quicktime, its going to go sour very soon. The longer he goes without winning stuff the more pronounced the 'Agent Brendan' stuff is gonna get. Its going to make the atmosphere toxic. I can see it going like Moyes.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
However, if we're going to replace him its gotta be for someone with a big reputation.
Overall I agree with your post, but not necessarily with this part. Reputation is build on succcess and lost on failure, it might give a manager a head start with the players but that's where it ends.

A manager has to be convincing. You can appoint a nobody as manager, if he tells the players what he wants from them and they think "I can see that working, let's do it." everything is fine. If you have a big reputation but fail to convince the players you should be gone (Ancelotti at Bayern is a prime example for this I think).

This is even true for the super stars, maybe even more than for the average player, as those are big names in their own right who might not be scared by the reputation of a manager.

Of course experience is a plus but a club should never appoint a manager based on reputation, but based on whether he has an idea how to use and evolve the team he has.

Levi1

That's fair, but they have at least managed big clubs at the highest level. Rodgers' Europa League record is dire, nevermind Champions League. I also think the criticisms @Withnail makes about his defensive coaching, our main problem, are accurate.

And I say again:

How will people react when the Liverpool fans start singing: 'Agent Brendan give us a wave'? Cos, me personally, yeah its gonna get to me. No doubt about that.

And people will say well Liverpool fans are already taunting us about Ole. They are but Ole's at least one of our own. I've seen Ole deliver stuff for United, yes, as a player, but they're still good memories. Why would I want to be ribbed about employing a guy who I have no connection with, who was deemed not good enough for Liverpool and fired?

He was in that stupid Being Liverpool documentary. Now you want to make him Man Utd manager? FFS.

If United appoint Brendan, unless he wins the title or the Champions League quicktime, its going to go sour very soon. The longer he goes without winning stuff the more pronounced the 'Agent Brendan' stuff is gonna get. Its going to make the atmosphere toxic. I can see it going like Moyes.
Agreed. Why not appoint Stevie G while we're at it - he seems to be open to moving clubs. :houllier:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think the reason the board is adamant on getting Rodgers is that he's desperate enough for another go at a big club he's willing to be the Glazer's yes man.

Red For Ever

Would probably get better results than Ole at the moment.
He seems to be a good manager for Leicester, but not the man to take United back to the level we would like.
A bit like Moyes, doing well at West Ham, and before that at Everton, but doesn't have the extra needed at a really top club.

But if we are going to change, then we should look for a better option.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

...What's Rodgers got?

It just shows how poor the viable options are and partly explains why they seem reluctant to make a decision. Sacking Ole is fine, but for Rodgers? No thanks, as 65% of the poll agree.

passing-wind

Rodgers would be good for the football of the team but I'm not sold on his winning mentality. Poch would probably be the better choice if ranging between the two. Poch has dealt with a higher profile of players and managed at the highest level reaching the UCL final. I would prefer Ten Haag then Poch then Rodgers. I think all of them are better than Solskjaer.

United need the manager to address the teams problem and the issue is the lack of cohesion and identity which are massively influenced by coaching. All three managers are day and night upgrades compared to Ole in this criteria.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Liverpool fans didn't want to blame Slippy G for blowing the league in 2014 so they blamed Rodgers instead for the Palace game the game after when in reality the horse had bolted by then thanks to Gerrard's feck up.
Though Rodgers insistence with Gerrard in a DM-type role during the season was outright madness. He'd probably do the same with Fred or McTominay at United.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Excellent forwards, rubbish midfield, defence that needs proper organisation but notoriously bad at set pieces. Sound familiar......that was Liverpool circa 2015 with Rodgers.

Schnappo

I don't think he'd be good enough to win the league so it would be a bit of a pointless move for me.

I personally don't like him, his teams have never really had a good defensive record and our next manager will have to be able to tighten things up at the back.

People have also mentioned the recruitment at Leicester under him. I'm not sure this can be put down to him as their recruitment was very good before he arrived and he doesn't have the best track record with signings prior to that.

Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter to them whether he is capable of winning a league title or not. We've enough evidence to suggest that the board value a top 4 finish above all else. I agree with everything you've said - I don't want Rodgers either. But he'd probably be able to deliver at least a 4th place finish and he seems like someone that is unlikely to clash with the board.

Unfortunately, that's seemingly the extent of the boards ambitions and Rodgers probably fits that bill quite well for them.

Craig Ward

...What's Rodgers got?

We hired "big name" managers in LVG and Jose. they stunk this place out, players gave up on them. they'll do the same to any manager when the going gets tough

Do you think Ronaldo's ego cares what Ole thinks? You think Pogba/Martial/Lingard and co respect Ole? Ole has tried desperately to change the culture around this club but in truth he was always going to struggle to get everyone on the same page. He's inherited players from 4 different managers under arguably the worst club in the prem for transfer dealings. I'd say Ole has done well considering

We dont have an elite mentality throughout the squad. We just lack character and there is only so much ANY manager could do.

I think your being a bit harsh on Rodgers. He's always played good football - he earned his reputation at Swansea and they really punched under him, they played some excellent stuff. He nearly won the league at Liverpool - something they could only dream of prior to him and he was a serial winner at Celtic (not hard considering the league but winning is winning). He's got Leicester going to a good standard and his ethos has remained constant throughout his career.

Would some of our fickle fans turn on him after defeats? Yes. Would our fickle fans turn on ANYONE? Yes.

I'm not actively striving for Brendon to be our next manager - but we would do a hell of a lot worse. Ten Haag has god credentials but would be a risk. Poch too, I think he took Spurs as far as he could and hasn;t looked amazing at PSG. Zidane i'd hate - I just can't see it working for him in england.

If Ole went - Brendan wouldnt be the most popular choice but he'd be a smart choice. He plays good football, is well suited to the prem. He has high standards and does well with younger players. If Ole went, he would HAVE to be a candidate

Withnail

Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter to them whether he is capable of winning a league title or not. We've enough evidence to suggest that the board value a top 4 finish above all else. I agree with everything you've said - I don't want Rodgers either. But he'd probably be able to deliver at least a 4th place finish and he seems like someone that is unlikely to clash with the board.

Unfortunately, that's seemingly the extent of the boards ambitions and Rodgers probably fits that bill quite well for them.
Well if the question was will the board go for someone like Rodgers, my answer would have been different and I'd probably agree.

buckooo1978

Rodgers would be an improvement on what we have but is he the transformative manager we need?

someone with potential to take on the best in England and the World?

I don't feel he is

pound for pound he has the potential. He's worked well with young players, build a solid team that is greater than the sum of its parts. His teams play good football. He's recruited really well on a fraction of our budget. Something just tells me he isn't right and I really don't care about the ex-Liverpool thing. His Liverpool team were super before imploding. They should have won the league but for slippy.

Rodgers could be great but i just can't get past the ego, the personality, the Brendan-ness

Highfather_24

Man Utd board has 2 criterias for the manager, and both of them are completely asinine.

- The manager needs to be a yes man
- The manager has to be a long term(5-6 year) appointment.

So that excludes managers like Zidane, Conte, Rangnick, Tuchel etc. Why cant we have an interim manager till end of the season(like Favre for example), and then look for a "long-term manager"? Beats me.

Seems like we will have Ole till the summer, and then we will get either Rodgers/Pochetino(depending on if PSG fire him).

dinostar77

Would be hilarious if Rodgers rejects us for the chance at the city job when Guardiola leaves

the_cliff

Man Utd board has 2 criterias for the manager, and both of them are completely asinine.

- The manager needs to be a yes man
- The manager has to be a long term(5-6 year) appointment.

So that excludes managers like Zidane, Conte, Rangnick, Tuchel etc. Why cant we have an interim manager till end of the season(like Favre for example), and then look for a "long-term manager"? Beats me.

Seems like we will have Ole till the summer, and then we will get either Rodgers/Pochetino(depending on if PSG fire him).
I agree with you that that's what the board wants, however, we haven't had a manager do near that since Fergie left. It shouldn't be a criteria if they've failed said criteria 4 times in a row now.

My problem with Brendan is he'd get no support from the fans, his affiliation with Liverpool will mean anytime we go through a small run of poor results the pressure will be insane.

Highfather_24

Interesting….. shall we back your opinion or the board who seem to know what they are doing in Man City’s.
Well everybody makes mistakes.

But more importantly, just because I think Rodgers wont succeed here, doesnt mean he wont succeed at City. I dont think he is an elite coach, he's a bottler, and a yes man, and that's exactly why Utd are interested. He might fit in at City purely as a headcoach, because he is not a bad coach. How much he can get them to win, who knows. He doesnt have a great record.

But I'm sure if he gets here he will get us top 4, wont complain, and Glazers will keep him forever while Ten Hag, Enrique, Nagelsmann etc go to other clubs.

HybridMoments

He’s in full self preservation mode now, that much is obvious. Two nil down at half time against city, at home, and his priority was to keep the score down in the second half. That is as cowardly as it gets. We were two down at half time at the etihad under mourinho and we went for it in the second half and won 3-2. The bare minimum a united fan deserves is for his team to have a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.