• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dove

He is of course better than Ole but the bar is extremely low. Would be a very underwhelming appointment, my only blind hope would be that he turns out better than we expect, similar to how many people called Tuchel a bottler. He turned out okay for Chelsea. So yea, a blind hope.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’d take Rodgers. Played decent stuff, decent acquisitions, actually won a bit of silverware. feck it, I’m in

captaincantona

Rodgers in now...Ndidi in January...and we will be back on track by February.

do it....actually...maybe don’t do it...torn on this one tbh...

Nickthepip

Man, do I want to see the back of Ole as our manager, but Brendan Rodgers coming in would be a proper party pooper to the sacking of Ole. I remember feeling very confused and underwhelmed when we signed Moyes to come in after SAF. I think I'd have the same level of enthusiasm for BR.
All my wife's side of the family are from Leicester and all LCFC fans. Many of them ST holders, and her brother is absolutely 100% that there is nothing in this. The LCFC fans are laughing at us thinking he would leave them for us under the current climate anyway - I kind of agree given what he has going at LCFC and what he could be stepping into where fans clearly won't be to chipper about him arriving.

However, if the only other alternative was Southgate, I'd chip in for BR pay packet to make it happen.
No disrespect to Leicester or your in-laws but they’re deluding themselves if they think he wouldn’t leave for United. It’s a hugely prestigious job and I think any good coach who backs themselves would look at that squad and feel confident they could turn things around.

arthurka

Would take others before him but he is a huge upgrade on Ole thats for sure.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've defended him a lot on here in the past and think he's miles better than given credit by some. Think back to that cup game last season as an example. Injury ravaged, brings in loads of backup players and they played us off the park.

He's a good manager. If he got us sorted like he generally has done with Leicester (this season is a bit hard to judge with their injuries) then we'd be a lot better. I can say that with confidence.

I'm not sure if he's responsible for their signings either but they're generally very good for Leicester.

the_cliff

I've defended him a lot on here in the past and think he's miles better than given credit by some. Think back to that cup game last season as an example. Injury ravaged, brings in loads of backup players and they played us off the park.

He's a good manager. If he got us sorted like he generally has done with Leicester (this season is a bit hard to judge with their injuries) then we'd be a lot better. I can say that with confidence.

I'm not sure if he's responsible for their signings either but they're generally very good for Leicester.
I like Rodgers, I don't think anyone on here can debate that he wouldn't be a significant upgrade on Ole, the problem is people on here seem to prefer the idea of a Ten Hag or a Poch.

saivet

Similar to most others that I'd take him but not as a first choice. Would certainly prefer Ten Haag and Poch ahead of him.

Would look for an interim until the summer if the other two aren't interested/available rather than bringing in Rodgers now.

SeanyC

Always wanted him and have said that for years now. He’s a very good manager, okay fair enough not the elite manager that some would like like Conte or Zidane but he’s a good tactician, strict and won’t take shit. Just hope he is given a lot more control over the club than Ole.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I like Rodgers, I don't think anyone on here can debate that he wouldn't be a significant upgrade on Ole, the problem is people on here seem to prefer the idea of a Ten Hag or a Poch.
If they aren't interested now and Rodgers is, then I know who I want. But then I would have took Conte for that reason too. United need to start being ruthless for one and act like a big club.

Flytan

We can't settle. This appointment has to be the right one.
If it's the end of the season and we appoint rodgers I agree it's horrible. But if it is an attempt to salvage this season I'll get behind it.

Obviously getting the right appointment is ideal but at this point with how bad our board is with choosing them, I'd rather them just rapid-fire managers like other clubs do.

House Mkhitaryan

Reluctantly, I voted yes. I'm starting to get the feeling that Ten Hag, along with Zidane, just do not want to come to United right now. Not sure how many better realistic options there are, unfortunately.

the_cliff

If they aren't interested now and Rodgers is, then I know who I want. But then I would have took Conte for that reason too. United need to start being ruthless for one and act like a big club.
I wanted Conte first as well as he was the best manager available, now if Ten Hag is not, Poch is not, Zidane doesn't want to come and BR is the only manager available, you take him even if it's for the short term.

Strats

Would take a long, long time to adapt to the fact of having Brendan Rodgers as our manager. Would give him the benefit of the doubt considering how desperately I want Ole to leave.

I just don't want us to completely waste important years having the talent we have in the squad with players like Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno and Rashford.
If he'd bring Ndidi and/or Tielemans with him things could get exiting.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of course he'd be better than Ole. Which PL clubs have worse managers than Ole? It ain't a long list.

The appropriate question is whether Brendan Rodgers is the best manager Manchester United can get. And if the club think he is then they are judging their managers by some pretty stupid metrics.

I can understand that he might be the best manager we could get right now. But in that case I'd rather go with an interim and see who is available in the summer. It's not like one of Europe's giants are going to poach Rodgers anyway.

It'd be one thing if we were the type of club who'd quickly spot if it isn't working and jettison Rodgers in a year and a bit's time if someone better is available. But with us it would be a multi-year commitment to a manger who is good enough to keep himself in the job for a while even if he isn't actually achieving anything. Top four finishes, "maybe this year"s, then our standard too-long "he needs to go" phase before we're left asking why the feck we wasted that time on Brendan Rodgers.

NiceGuyEddie

No, we deserve a proven, top-notch manager with recent success. Not a "maybe" or a "see how it pans out" experiment a la Solskjaer. Instil a caretaker until the right candidate comes along if needs be.

Roboc7

Makes me cringe but he’s a huge upgrade on Ole, I can’t see the club looking beyond him, Poch or Zidane.

Rooney24

No, we deserve a proven, top-notch manager with recent success. Not a "maybe" or a "see how it pans out" experiment a la Solskjaer. Instil a caretaker until the right candidate comes along if needs be.
the way the club have acted the last few years we don’t deserve shit.

the_cliff

I remember after the last United Leicester game (the 4-2 one) and the post match interviews from both managers shows the difference in levels in a nutshell.

Rodgers: ' We knew United don't have a high tempo, so we played a high line to win the ball in attacking positions of the pitch and capitalise on that'.

Ole: ' You've got to run, block and tackle. We didn't do enough of that unfortunately'.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Such as? Who ticks those boxes?

Zidane maybe but he’s an outlier whose only success came when he inherited a ready made team with an insanely good best XI. Never built a team. Never had success in any other context. Ten Haag is interesting but has also been working in a very specific context which may not translate to Premier League success.

I find it strange the way so many people are so keen to hand the reigns to other manager with such obvious doubts hanging over them and not a bloke who has improved every club he ever joined and last season racked up creditable results (5-2 vs City, 3-1 vs Liverpool, FA Cup win vs Chelsea) against all the strongest teams in the Premier League despite being seriously financially handicapped in comparison. And that’s without even mentioning his previous record of an 84 points 100+ goals PL season and most dominant ever stint in the same league that Fergie cut his teeth where he won every domestic trophy available. Two seasons in a row.

Obviously there’s no guarantees but I’m not seeing that with any of the other potential candidates either.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Unproven would be one thing. Rodgers has actively gone some way towards proving he isn't a top-notch manager. This isn't a guy who's just waiting for a break at a big club to show how good he is. He already failed at Liverpool, who uprgraded massively when they appointed Klopp. And I'm deeply sceptical as to the quality of the job he's done at Leicester, at least in terms of how it applies to him deserving another shot at a European giant.

Even on a more micro level I note Leicester fans complaining about their defending under Rodgers, a complaint that has been a longstanding one across previous clubs he's managed too. It's not like he's suddenly become a different manager to the one who wasn't good enough at Liverpool. The same flaws are there.

He's a very good manager. But then so is David Moyes. And Rodgers is a lot closer to Moyes than he is to a Guardiola or Klopp. At least with genuinely unproven options you can kid yourself that they might find themselves a place near the top echelon.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Gerrard would be a better appointment
Why not go for Rafa? May as well given the way we're going! :lol:

Imagine Liverpool had gone for Ron Atkinson after the Roy Evans debacle. That's basically what we're doing.

As far as they'd fallen with the Spice Boys, the Scousers knew better.

We're going to get bantered so hard over this, we'll deserve it too.

Can you imagine the pressure on day one? Every second question from the media is going to be about whether the fans will accept him as an ex Liverpool coach.

If he doesn't get off to a blistering start the spotlight is gonna be on him. It's tough enough being United coach at the best of times. Rodgers is going to look like fresh meat in a shark tank.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why not go for Rafa? May as well given the way we're going! :lol:

Imagine Liverpool had gone for Ron Atkinson after the Roy Evans debacle. That's basically what we're doing.

As far as they'd fallen with the Spice Boys, the Scousers knew better.

We're going to get bantered so hard over this, we'll deserve it too.

Can you imagine the pressure on day one? Every second question from the media is going to be about whether the fans will accept him as an ex Liverpool coach.

If he doesn't get off to a blistering start the spotlight is gonna be on him. It's tough enough being United coach at the best of times. Rodgers is going to look like fresh meat in a shark tank.
Comparing Rodgers to Rafa and Gerrard is totally wrong. Those two are Liverpool legends.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unproven would be one thing. Rodgers has actively gone some way towards proving he isn't a top-notch manager. This isn't a guy who's just waiting for a break at a big club to show how good he is. He already failed at Liverpool, who uprgraded massively when they appointed Klopp. And I'm deeply sceptical as to the quality of the job he's done at Leicester, at least in terms of how it applies to him deserving another shot at a European giant.
So we hire Klopp instead? I agree. How do we make that happen?

hobbers

The most sickening thing about the idea of hiring Rodgers is that, because he'd have been chosen as the stooge apparent, they would give him another 3-4 year contract, replay all the same vacuous drivel about projects, development, youth, DNA, United Way, and then ultimately we'll be wasting another 3+ years on a lame duck manager.

I wouldn't mind so much if we had someone with at least Abramovich-level intellect on the board, who would say to Rodgers: you get 18 months, and if it's shit you're gone. But our board want long term stooges not top managers.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Such as? Who ticks those boxes?

Zidane maybe but he’s an outlier whose only success came when he inherited a ready made team with an insanely good best XI. Never built a team. Never had success in any other context. Ten Haag is interesting but has also been working in a very specific context which may not translate to Premier League success.

I find it strange the way so many people are so keen to hand the reigns to other manager with such obvious doubts hanging over them and not a bloke who has improved every club he ever joined and last season racked up creditable results (5-2 vs City, 3-1 vs Liverpool, FA Cup win vs Chelsea) against all the strongest teams in the Premier League despite being seriously financially handicapped in comparison. And that’s without even mentioning his previous record of an 84 points 100+ goals PL season and most dominant ever stint in the same league that Fergie cut his teeth.

Obviously there’s no guarantees but I’m not seeing that with any of the other potential candidates either.
Those one off league results in isolation aren’t quite the praise you think they are. His FA cup win is a plus, no doubt. But he’s also the same manager who spent 242 days in the top 4 only to end 5th. In 19/20 they amassed 38 points in their first 16 games and then fell off a cliff also.

Good but not great — it’s a common theme with Rodgers. I think that’s the thing for (some of us at least); Rodgers is quite clearly a good coach. The problem is he’d become our manager in a time where the league is filled with incredibly stacked managers. At least someone like Ten Hag brings some novelty and the possibility of him being a revelation. I don’t want to be resigned to the idea of simply being ‘up there a bit’ with a coach like Rodgers or Pochettino.

And all of this is without consideration of his quite frankly atrocious record in Europe both in the CL and EL — (where Ten Hag properly sweeps him, btw).

Status
Not open for further replies.