• No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
These links make me try to forget how terrible we've been this season and how directionless the manager is, and focus on how favourable the next 10-12 matches are, outside of Chelsea (which is still at home) and Villareal away.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s also the point, he’s, you know, behind Ole in the table as of right now

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So we hire Klopp instead? I agree. How do we make that happen?
We don't. We try to hire someone near that level (in the way a Tuchel is, without actually being as good as Klopp/Guardiola). Or failing that, hire a talented unproven manager in the hope that they'll reach somewhere near those heights. Just don't hire someone we've seen enough of over the last decade to know definitely isn't a top level manager. And certainly don't have that not-quite-good-enough manager as our top choice.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has Rodgers been considered for any 'top' English jobs since his stint at Liverpool? So Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc. Genuine question.
Arsenal were linked a bit before they got Arteta, iirc

BorisManUtd

I get why our board is interested in Rodgers, obviously a very good manager, we'd play decent football and actually be a good team, but there are question marks over Rodgers and they haven't been great so far this season, bar beating us which really isn't an achievement these days (and we gave it to them with the way we defended).
Has Rodgers been considered for any 'top' English jobs since his stint at Liverpool? So Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc. Genuine question.
Pretty sure he was linked with Spurs job after Jose got sacked, probably with Arsenal too, but don't think there were Chelsea links though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We don't. We try to hire someone near that level (in the way a Tuchel is, without actually being as good as Klopp/Guardiola). Or failing that, hire a talented unproven manager in the hope that they'll reach somewhere near those heights. Just don't hire someone we've seen enough of over the last decade to know definitely isn't a top level manager. And certainly don't have that not-quite-good-enough manager as our top choice.
WHO though?

Ten Hag or bust? Didn’t he turn down Bayern recently? On what basis are we assuming our clown show will be an offer he can’t refuse? I’d take Ten Hag over Rodgers but who’s to say that’s an option?

And I disagree with the idea that Rodgers definitely isn’t good enough. The one and only time he had a crack at a top level club he came incredibly close to winning the Premier League. The following season went to shite but it’s tough to bounce back from losing your only world class player at a club where you’re financially much worse off than your rivals.

Leicester are a second tier club, irrespective of that one freak season when literally every top club in the league had a nightmare. He’s improved this second tier club, season on season, and the FA cup win was a big deal.

Sure he might not be good enough but the certainty that he definitely won’t is silly. Even more so in a post where you’re apparently keen to take a punt on managers who still have it all to prove.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There’s also the point, he’s, you know, behind Ole in the table as of right now
Tbf being behind Ole doesn't really matter as they obviously have a worse side.

Them having declined from their own performances last season is a lot more relevant. Even more so given that (imo) their league performances last season were worse than the season before that as well. And the current complaints I read from Leicester outlets and fans (about the defending, the tactics, the team selection, etc.) don't paint the picture of a manager killing it but being swamped by insurmountable problems. They've been really poor this season and Rodgers takes a fair share of the blame for that.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Looking back Rodgers spent 300m on 33 signings during his time at Liverpool - from what I can see only firminho and Milner would go on to be key members of klopp’s team though the money made from Coutinho helped. They finished 6th, 2nd and 6th under him and when he was replaced they had won just one of his last 9 games. His Leicester side have also gone on long runs of poor form in each of the last 3 seasons - and when I’ve seen them this season at West Ham and against Arsenal they have been utterly shambolic defensively. He has also tried to shore that up by going 3 at the back. He’s not the guy. We know he’s not the guy. At least take a risk on someone who COULD be the guy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tbf being behind Ole doesn't really matter as they obviously have a worse side.

Them having declined from their own performances last season is a lot more relevant. Even more so given that (imo) their league performances last season were worse than the season before that as well. And the current complaints I read from Leicester outlets and fans (about the defending, the tactics, the team selection, etc.) don't paint the picture of a manager killing it but being swamped by insurmountable problems. They've been really poor this season and Rodgers takes a fair share of the blame for that.
4 more points and an FA cup somewhat undermines that opinion.

Ted Lasso

Ten years ago, sure. I just don't understand the complete lack of vision coming from the club and also, honestly, many of the fans. United should be looking for a manager that is on the forefront of tactical play. That's why Pep has been a success, Klopp a revelation and Tuchel likewise a blast of fresh air for English football. In fact, the teams coming up from the Championship that have the most success are those with progressive style that frankly catches the traditional equation of English football out. Has been the case for several seasons now.

Rogers' teams play good football. No doubt. if you compare his development and style over the years he has definitely shown himself adaptable to the squad at his disposal. But they've never come across as the future. If I may, its like a premium gas car model versus this other tier of managers that are all trying to make the best electric. Both might run great but what's the landscape in a few years time. Jose and Simeone are great examples. They'll continue to be hard to beat on their day and even win a few trophies. But if we want domination, a period of excellence the likes of Barca, Bayern and Liverpool (City also) then you have to take a leap on the electric.

Ten Hag. That's got to be our man (Ralph interim). Rogers may prove better than expected but i hope someone in the C- suite is out there with a bit more vision.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Looking back Rodgers spent 300m on 33 signings during his time at Liverpool - from what I can see only firminho and Milner would go on to be key members of klopp’s team though the money made from Coutinho helped. They finished 6th, 2nd and 6th under him and when he was replaced they had won just one of his last 9 games. His Leicester side have also gone on long runs of poor form in each of the last 3 seasons - and when I’ve seen them this season at West Ham and against Arsenal they have been utterly shambolic defensively. He has also tried to shore that up by going 3 at the back. He’s not the guy. We know he’s not the guy. At least take a risk on someone who COULD be the guy.
Guarantee he wasn't in charge of transfers at Liverpool.

Berbaclass

They signed Allen and borini - two players he’d worked with before. He definitely had input. Oddly enough their transfers since he left under the same committee structure but with klopp have been phenomenal.
Of course he did he was the fecking manager :lol:

Just not that much.

Chairman Steve

I thought it was known that the manager at Liverpool isn’t really the sole decision maker on transfers. Pretty sure I remember someone saying Klopp wanted Julian Brandt but he got Mo Salah instead, who he never considered getting.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Of course he did he was the fecking manager :lol:

Just not that much.
Right. So you’ve gone from he didn’t sign them to he had input. He absolutely did sign Joe Allen and Borini. He also supposedly wanted benteke against the wishes of the committee. We’ll never know will we? What we do know is since he’s left that exact same committee but with klopp now on it have been exceptional after being pretty average prior.

Dominos

Such as? Who ticks those boxes?

Zidane maybe but he’s an outlier whose only success came when he inherited a ready made team with an insanely good best XI. Never built a team. Never had success in any other context. Ten Haag is interesting but has also been working in a very specific context which may not translate to Premier League success.

I find it strange the way so many people are so keen to hand the reigns to other manager with such obvious doubts hanging over them and not a bloke who has improved every club he ever joined and last season racked up creditable results (5-2 vs City, 3-1 vs Liverpool, FA Cup win vs Chelsea) against all the strongest teams in the Premier League despite being seriously financially handicapped in comparison. And that’s without even mentioning his previous record of an 84 points 100+ goals PL season and most dominant ever stint in the same league that Fergie cut his teeth where he won every domestic trophy available. Two seasons in a row.

Obviously there’s no guarantees but I’m not seeing that with any of the other potential candidates either.
To me, Rodger's time at Liverpool is a reason not to give him the job here. He had 3 poor seasons out of 4 (sacked half way through 4th). Failed to establish them as a consistent top 4 side, no experience getting to CL knockouts which is a bare minimum requirement when managing a big club. I give him full credit for finishing 2nd but ultimately it's about the overall body of work. Granted I think he's a better manager now as he was young back then. I don't think he's a garaunteed failure here by any means like many people are making out, but I just don't think his achievements are special enough to warrant a job this big.

Berbaclass

Right. So you’ve gone from he didn’t sign them to he had input. He absolutely did sign Joe Allen and Borini. He also supposedly wanted benteke against the wishes of the committee. We’ll never know will we? What we do know is since he’s left that exact same committee but with klopp now on it have been exceptional after being pretty average prior.
Sorry, I assumed you had common sense.

I said "Guarantee he wasn't in charge of transfers at Liverpool".

I'm obviously suggesting he wasn't solely responsible for every deal whilst the manager as Liverpool obviously has a transfer committee which he will have some input into because you know, he actually manages the team.

Unproven would be one thing. Rodgers has actively gone some way towards proving he isn't a top-notch manager. This isn't a guy who's just waiting for a break at a big club to show how good he is. He already failed at Liverpool,
I mean, he really didn't. He came within touching distance of an utterly unexpected title win with a team that were 6th-favorites going into the season.

They got rid of him in 2015 because one of the best managers in the world was available. And he's accomplished quite a bit in the game since to suggest he's a better manager now. Back-to-back 5th place finishes and an FA Cup at Leicester is overachieving any way you slice it - the only reason people laugh at them "bottling it" in the CL race is because he had them punching comfortably above their weight for so long in the first place (yes, they have some quality players. No, they don't have the fourth-best squad in the league, and they definitely don't have a CL-level wage budget).

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Sorry, I assumed you had common sense.

I said "Guarantee he wasn't in charge of transfers at Liverpool".

I'm obviously suggesting he wasn't solely responsible for every deal whilst the manager as Liverpool obviously has a transfer committee which he will have some input into because you know, he actually manages the team.
Right. So by “guaranteed he didn’t sign the players” in response to Liverpool’s record under him what you actually meant was he, along with others decided who to sign. So he does actually have some responsibility for many of them not working out then? I also believe he wanted to swap Henderson for Clint Dempsey.

Basically he got a list of targets for positions and he’d get veto and which ones to push for. Sounds similar to here. Obviously since his time there he’s tried to claim he didn’t get the players he wanted - possibly true because his Leicester record seems decent.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....rkings-of-liverpools-transfer-committee-59692

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
WHO though?

Ten Hag or bust? Didn’t he turn down Bayern recently? On what basis are we assuming our clown show will be an offer he can’t refuse? I’d take Ten Hag over Rodgers but who’s to say that’s an option?

And I disagree with the idea that Rodgers definitely isn’t good enough. The one and only time he had a crack at a top level club he came incredibly close to winning the Premier League. The following season went to shite but it’s tough to bounce back from losing your only world class player at a club where you’re financially much worse off than your rivals.

Leicester are a second tier club, irrespective of that one freak season when literally every top club in the league had a nightmare. He’s improved this second tier club, season on season, and the FA cup win was a big deal.

Sure he might not be good enough but the certainty that he definitely won’t is silly. Even more so in a post where you’re apparently keen to take a punt on managers who still have it all to prove.
The other perspective on "came incredibly close to winning the league" is "oversaw and contributed to one of the worst title collapses in Premier League history". Which couples well with him letting top four slip away from Leicester for two years on the bounce when they were in poll position both times. Nor were those Liverpool struggles due to factors entirely beyond his control. Liverpool's defending was heavily criticised over that period and that has been a longstanding complaint about Rodgers' sides, even now. Incidentally he was also the first Liverpool manager since the 1950's not to win a trophy at Liverpool after three seasons in charge, so not even domestic cup success to point to. And bombed out at the group stage of the CL in his one(?) season in that competition with Liverpool.

As for who I'd take over Rodgers, Ten Hag obviously. Poch too probably if he was available in the summer. Hell, even someone like Graham Potter is a highly rated coach who hasn't done as much to actively make me doubt him thus far, if only for the lack of opportunity. That in the context of us already declining to pursue Conte, who is obviously a better manager as well if not quite the profile I'd ideally want. And also in the context of my limited knowledge of managers in other leagues and which of their own Rodgers-equivalents show more promise.

And if it came down to it and all the other options weren't available, fine. Have Rodgers as fourth or so choice. But don't have him as our #1 target, or rush to hire him now if you think better options might be available in the summer. Especially given Rodgers will still be just as obtainable then as well.

Dominos

WHO though?

Not a lot of managers tick every box, but there are managers who tick boxes that Rodgers doesn't

- Established a team as a consistent top 4 side
- Established a team as a regular in CL knockouts
- Won league titles/champions leagues in a major league/competitive league
- Has their team performing consistently far above their expected level

These factors are how the likes of Nagelsmann and Poch have landed top jobs despite not winning trophies. And why loads of top clubs will be after Ten Hag despite him only managing in the Netherlands.

You could argue Rodgers overachieves with his teams, but that over-achievement has never amounted to any sort of consistent success in terms of league finishes or champions league performance. The idea that finishing 5th with Leicester qualifies you to manage United is how we ended up with David Moyes (Rodgers is a better fit for us than Moyes of course).

I'd appoint an interim for now to get the right man in the summer. If that right man isn't available in the summer, give it to Rodgers I suppose.

Last edited:

Red00012

These links make me try to forget how terrible we've been this season and how directionless the manager is, and focus on how favourable the next 10-12 matches are, outside of Chelsea (which is still at home) and Villareal away.
We have no favourable games anymore . YB have beaten us this season.

dave1956

No I do not think he is the man for Utd. Liverpool, Celtic and his present club he has managed to take them all to a given level and then in subsequent seasons they have steadily dropped back in performance. Once this happens he appears to have no plan/tactics to reverse the slide, although I must admit that I have never followed his career closely as I have never considered him Utd., material.

croadyman

Quite honestly I'm not bothered what other Utd fans think about him because I'm that desperate for a change right now

Yakuza_devils

If we appoint Rodgers, get ready for another 3 years of mediocrity. He is exactly the same like Ole (maybe better football) with the inconsistency.

The club never learn.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Do a quick google and there are enough stories out there that Rodgers is on a very short list of candidates to replace Guardiola at the end of 2022-2023 season when he leaves city.

I'm not the biggest fan of rodgers, but if the journos are correct and city do really rate him highly then they are seeing something that the average fan on here isnt.

I dont think hes the long term answer for Utd, I have no idea who is, but it ain't Ole that's for sure. If Rodgers was not British would be be rated more highly? Do we hold foreign coaches in higher regard than british coaches?
I don't think so to answer your question. Potter for example is highly rated on this board. I think a lot of people made fun of him ( myself included) when he managed Liverpool and would find it hard to make that mental switch.

He's also just missing a certain X factor which makes some people believe he is good but not elite.

I'll be very surprised if he ends up replacing Pep. Seems like he's just got a great agent and a couple journalist friends who keep throwing his name out there for vacancies.

reelworld

I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of Rodgers (yuck), if it means we get rid of Ole now.
However lack of ability to coach defense scares me a bit. We are leaking goals right left center, and I doubt he could fix that. Maybe he can since we got better defenders than his Liverpool side and Leicester, but his record show that he's bad at it.
One thing that I hope is that he learnt from his mistakes at Liverpool and become a better manager here if he's appointed.

BaneIsPain

Rodgers has improved since his Celtic days but I feel underwhelmed especially when we have the opportunity to get conte or maybe ten hag in the summer

Last edited:

SATA

I think he's likely coming, lads. No source, just a feeling. Wouldn't be surprised that we are probably negotiating with Leicester in the background and while sending Ole back home first

Status
Not open for further replies.