Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The way his teams fall apart towards the end of the season.
His Liverpool connection.
His awful European record.

3 massive reasons he shouldn't be amongst our top targets

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Jesus.

If Leicester fans were sinners in a past life and their penance in this was to be saddled with Solskjaer as manager, there’s no doubt in my mind they’d be relegation candidates. Imagine being the proud owners of the defensive statistics we have this season - where we are practically bottom in every important metric, not to mention the obscenity that is our ‘running’ record - but replicate them with a Leicester squad who possess far less talent than we do… the results would not be pretty.

We are in a clinically depressing situation whereby our current manager and coaching setup is so out of their collective depths that it’s hard to believe but the players they preside over are so talented that they continually mask the managerial and coaching deficiencies. Give Solskjaer an inferior squad (as we have seen before with Cardiff) and he will massively struggle; give Rodgers an inferior squad (as we have seen before with Swansea, Liverpool and Leicester) and he can produce brilliant results playing brilliant football.

Solskjaer and Rodgers are polar opposites when it comes to understanding and implementing footballing styles and tactics. The fact this needs to be even argued among our fanbase is a very worrying development after having front-row seats to the footballing shitshow (from a playing style and tactical point of view) that’s been the last three years.
You massively overrate Leicester and obviously don't watch them. They don't play 'brilliant' football or get brilliant results for the squad they have.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I’ve come around to the idea of Rodgers being a good move for Man Utd…

Better than Ole - definite check

Capable of winning trophies - check

NO STUPID EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WITH THE SAPPY FANS - Huge check

Would get treated like a normal manager and sacked if underperforming - check

This is what Utd needs imo. Anything to get rid of the Solskjaer and the bizarre toxicity that the club has created for itself.

Could Utd do better? Yes. But at the moment the club is a joke, Rodgers could serve as a bridge out of the current situation for them.

The Bloody-Nine

Well if your team is comfortably second, about 15 points ahead of fifth, and then goes W4 D5 L8 in the last third of season, which is basically relegation candidate form, it’s quite concerning. You can’t even blame this on fatigue as they went W2 D3 L4 after COVID break which is terrible.

Then the season later you are in top 3 for almost the entire season and drop out of it two games before the end, going W1 D1 L3 to finish season.

I would say the above is almost the definition of bottling job.

What this shows is that he is perfectly capable of putting his team in a position to compete, punching above their weight even, but once they get there he will not be able to take them over the line. Happened at Liverpool, happened at Leicester, there is no reason to believe it won’t happen here.

He is another Moyes type of appointment. Chelsea or City would not even have him on the shortlist to replace Tuchel or Pep.
It's kind of hard to sustain "punching above your weight". Instead of giving him credit for overachieving for most of the season, he gets shit on for "bottling it". Unless you actually believe Leicester are a top 4 side?

And he's reportedly on City's shortlist to replace Pep.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/a...ach-Newcastles-owners-holds-Man-City-job.html

tomaldinho1

Every single manager we have had post-SAF has been given far longer than they ever should have. Don’t hold your breath for any proactive early dismissals where needed.
Moyes was about right (although he shouldn’t have been appointed) and LVG was fine (2 years, style wasn’t right but got the team a trophy). It’s only been Mou (should have sacked him the summer he downed tools) and now Ole (because of club legend status) who have taken too long.

tomaldinho1

He's not proved he's 'far' better at all.
Given Ole is, no exaggeration, the worst hands on coach I can think of in the PL I don’t think there’s much debate Rodgers is vastly superior. Ole is hands off and unqualified, it’s a bad look for the club, there’s really no defending someone who doesn’t take training unless they’ve won everything prior and then move upstairs.

IRN-BRUno

Can we have a list of players he's signed at Leicester.
1st season: Dennis Praet, Youri Tielemans, James Justin, Ayoze Perez, Ryan Bennett (loan)
2nd: Timothy Castagne, Wesley Fofana, Cengiz Under (loan)
3rd: Patson Daka, Boubakary Soumare, Ryan Bertrand, Jannik Vestergaard, Ademola Lookman (loan)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Neither a defense or attack at the likes of Poch and Rodgers, but do those managers actually control the player personnel moves? Or do clubs like Leicester, PSG, Spurs, Swans, even Liverpool in Brendan's days make these decisions with or without the manager's input?

Leftback99

Given Ole is, no exaggeration, the worst hands on coach I can think of in the PL I don’t think there’s much debate Rodgers is vastly superior. Ole is hands off and unqualified, it’s a bad look for the club, there’s really no defending someone who doesn’t take training unless they’ve won everything prior and then move upstairs.
'Vastly superior' but yet 2 points below us after 11 games that could barely have gone worse for us. Better maybe, far better there is plenty of debate.

croadyman

I’ve come around to the idea of Rodgers being a good move for Man Utd…

Better than Ole - definite check

Capable of winning trophies - check

NO STUPID EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WITH THE SAPPY FANS - Huge check

Would get treated like a normal manager and sacked if underperforming - check

This is what Utd needs imo. Anything to get rid of the Solskjaer and the bizarre toxicity that the club has created for itself.

Could Utd do better? Yes. But at the moment the club is a joke, Rodgers could serve as a bridge out of the current situation for them.
Yeah will be so glad when that third point you mentioned isn't a factor anymore because it clouds judgement far too much

Ralph1386

Moyes was about right (although he shouldn’t have been appointed) and LVG was fine (2 years, style wasn’t right but got the team a trophy). It’s only been Mou (should have sacked him the summer he downed tools) and now Ole (because of club legend status) who have taken too long.
LVG should have been sacked after the horrendous run of games we had in December’15, which would have given us a better shot at top 4. But they gave him the season in order to save money.

NK86

The way his teams fall apart towards the end of the season.
His Liverpool connection.
His awful European record.

3 massive reasons he shouldn't be amongst our top targets
But you can bet he is as he won't kick up a fuss. He isn't really a driven winner like a Conte. Bet that is a major reason why the Board would look at him favorably. Think he would be an awful choice. Another one just to help us get top 4 and continue this cycle of us going nowhere.

Banat

Jesus.

If Leicester fans were sinners in a past life and their penance in this was to be saddled with Solskjaer as manager, there’s no doubt in my mind they’d be relegation candidates. Imagine being the proud owners of the defensive statistics we have this season - where we are practically bottom in every important metric, not to mention the obscenity that is our ‘running’ record - but replicate them with a Leicester squad who possess far less talent than we do… the results would not be pretty.

We are in a clinically depressing situation whereby our current manager and coaching setup is so out of their collective depths that it’s hard to believe but the players they preside over are so talented that they continually mask the managerial and coaching deficiencies. Give Solskjaer an inferior squad (as we have seen before with Cardiff) and he will massively struggle; give Rodgers an inferior squad (as we have seen before with Swansea, Liverpool and Leicester) and he can produce brilliant results playing brilliant football.

Solskjaer and Rodgers are polar opposites when it comes to understanding and implementing footballing styles and tactics. The fact this needs to be even argued among our fanbase is a very worrying development after having front-row seats to the footballing shitshow (from a playing style and tactical point of view) that’s been the last three years.
Brilliant post, nothing to add.
And if you go to Leicester forum, you will find that big majority there actually support Rodgers,think he is done a brilliant job and don't want him gone.

Andy_Cole

No Moyes should’ve been way quicker. Look at Spurs and Nuno. If we did that with Moyes and got in an elite manager at that point I honestly don’t think the next 8 years would’ve panned out like it did.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
1st season: Dennis Praet, Youri Tielemans, James Justin, Ayoze Perez, Ryan Bennett (loan)
2nd: Timothy Castagne, Wesley Fofana, Cengiz Under (loan)
3rd: Patson Daka, Boubakary Soumare, Ryan Bertrand, Jannik Vestergaard, Ademola Lookman (loan)
It’s a mixed bag, I’d say.

1st season:
Tielemans: that was initially a loan by Puel and somehow they managed to keep him after it, so not 100% sure I’d give him that one. Though Rodgers has clearly helped the players development get back on track.
Praet: dud, barely played and he’s currently out on loan in Italy again.
Justin: did look a prospect in their first team for a while until he got injured
Perez: big miss. Probably the worst one. £30m and almost all of their fans hate him

2nd season:
Castagne: alright-ish level player. Good squad/12th man sort of standard
Fofana: very good prospect, shame about the injury
Under: was a punt of a loan who barely played, can’t really hold that against him too much

3rd season:
Daka: probably too early to say but he looks decent. Fast striker who I think has bagged a few in the Europa for them so far. Seems his signing has breathed life back into Vardy a little bit too who looked totally finished end of last season
Soumare: another that’s probably too early to say, but I don’t think his start has been great.
Vestegaard: another really bad one. Nearly £20m(?) on a PL defender who has been really poor this season. Doesn’t look good enough for the level Leicester want to be at.
Bertrand: (think you missed him) - as above, he’s just not good enough for anything other than cover. Although I think he was a free
Lookman: eh

Ixion

'Vastly superior' but yet 2 points below us after 11 games that could barely have gone worse for us. Better maybe, far better there is plenty of debate.
Sancho cost more than all their summer signings combined. And not everyone can just go and get a Ronaldo for his wages that steals undeserved points for you. There needs to be some perspective when trying to prop up Ole.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't particularly rate Rodgers but he's done more than enough over his career to show he's a far better manager than Ole.

In terms of the Liverpool and Leicester jobs as well as the links to us, he actually earned his way into that position through the results he's got and the football he got his teams playing. Whereas Solskjaer earned his shot at United by having played for us and (based on what he's actually done as a manager) won't be getting near another top club again.

Ralph1386

Ask any Leicester fan if they’d rather keep Rodgers or get Ole instead.

Also, how much did Rodger’s squad cost and how much did Ole’s squad cost? Put Ole as a Leicester manager right now and he’d have their squad fighting relegation.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's kind of hard to sustain "punching above your weight". Instead of giving him credit for overachieving for most of the season, he gets shit on for "bottling it". Unless you actually believe Leicester are a top 4 side?

And he's reportedly on City's shortlist to replace Pep.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/a...ach-Newcastles-owners-holds-Man-City-job.html
I guess the goal when they hired him was to get them into CL if the opportunity is there, and opportunity was there two years in a row with other competitors struggling - both times he got them into position where they looked likely to be up there and eventually failed towards the end. Exact same thing happened at Liverpool.

I don’t really buy how anyone cannot be concerned about this. If getting to CL when he was 15 points above 5th halfway through the season cannot be expected of him then what exactly are the expectations at Leicester that he could be judged against?

Leftback99

Ask any Leicester fan if they’d rather keep Rodgers or get Ole instead.

Also, how much did Rodger’s squad cost and how much did Ole’s squad cost? Put Ole as a Leicester manager right now and he’d have their squad fighting relegation.
Like I say better maybe, but I've seen comments on here alone from Leicester fans who don't seem to think he's all that.

It's just an anyone but Ole attitude making people start convincing themselves he's good enough for us. He's not.

Frank Grimes

I think he has shown enough in his management career to suggest he could do a really good job with the right resources behind him (can we genuinely say he has managed under these conditions previously). United can give him this and then he has to perform.

There are few certainties in football and the other options can also fail. No matter who we get it will require a leap of faith.

People say he is not of the level of Pep and Klopp but he could be at the level to bag 85 points and in any given season that could be enough to win a league. Also Pep won't be around forever.

GazTheLegend

I think he has shown enough in his management career to suggest he could do a really good job with the right resources behind him (can we genuinely say he has managed under these conditions previously). United can give him this and then he has to perform.

There are few certainties in football and the other options can also fail. No matter who we get it will require a leap of faith.

People say he is not of the level of Pep and Klopp but he could be at the level to bag 85 points and in any given season that could be enough to win a league. Also Pep won't be around forever.
It's a bit underrated how well he did with Celtic, too. It's not easy to be an invincible manager in ANY league.

Telsim

Why is this thread being taken down the road of either/or? Rodgers vs Ole? This is not the conversation we should be having. It's Rodgers vs Ten Hag/Pochettino/Potter/whoever else. Even if we take the availability of Rodgers, it's still not enough. We go for Rodgers desperate for a quick fix, something that's not even guaranteed by the way, means we don't go for other managers in the summer. You are delusional if you think the board will appoint Rodgers now and sack him in the summer. This is not how it works, especially when it's Manchester United we are talking about. The club would need to pay out a stupid amount of cash in compensation to all the different parties involved.

And Rodgers is not a wise decision for a permanent job for a variety of reasons, which I have already outlined in this thread before. If we take Rodgers right now it means we will be in this same exact situation this time next year. Or the year after that.

Chairman Steve

Why hasn’t Solskjaer been asked questions like this - particularly as he has made endless bizarre tactical decisions?

Why aren’t the media - that gain clicks from Utd - quizzing Solskjaer properly and thus gaining more money and clicks?

Why is he being babied? Who is ensuring this?
It’s one of the great mysteries that I’d certainly like to know. If its true that his press conference questions are pre vetted then obviously someone above him doesn’t have that much confidence in him coming across well, whether it’s because he doesn’t speak well or plain and simple he doesn’t know what he’s doing…so in that case why is he still here? Is Ferguson’s power really that great potentially? (if it’s true he’s advising to keep Solskjaer in)

You could put a theory forward that Solskjaer is almost like a George W Bush and Ferguson is almost like a Dick Cheney to that, in that the person who you think is running the show is just a figure head, and the other guy who you don’t think doesn’t have the power is indeed the decision maker.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
An unpalatable number of posters are being way too reasonable for my liking.

Rodgers is possibly not quite as despicable as I believe he is. John Terry is probably not a massive pillock (every day). People like them just add colour to my life. Some people are in the "I Like Them, Just Because" box and others are in the "I Can't Stand Them, Get Out" box.

Because I am so stupidly obstinate, no-one can ever be moved from one box to the other. So, if Rodgers comes I would have to double-think the fek out of reality. I beg you, universe. Don't let him come.

djembatheking

Rodgers is possibly not quite as despicable as I believe he is. John Terry is probably not a massive pillock (every day). People like them just add colour to my life. Some people are in the "I Like Them, Just Because" box and others are in the "I Can't Stand Them, Get Out" box.

Because I am so stupidly obstinate, no-one can ever be moved from one box to the other. So, if Rodgers comes I would have to double-think the fek out of reality. I beg you, universe. Don't let him come.
Well said, I dread the thought of him stood on the touchline in games then talking about United as his team in press conferences. Ugh.

AndyMUFC86

Wether your in the camp of thinking Rodgers would be a good fit for us or the camp that you hate his guts we all won’t care if he takes us to a title.

If he does come in let’s hope he can be successful because at the end of the day it’s all about the club and not about any individual

mu4c_20le

Love it when people moan about mediocrity at the club and then big up Rodgers just because he is better than Ole

djembatheking

Wether your in the camp of thinking Rodgers would be a good fit for us or the camp that you hate his guts we all won’t care if he takes us to a title.

If he does come in let’s hope he can be successful because at the end of the day it’s all about the club and not about any individual
I would be surprised if he got top 4 , no way he takes us to a title.

tomaldinho1

No Moyes should’ve been way quicker. Look at Spurs and Nuno. If we did that with Moyes and got in an elite manager at that point I honestly don’t think the next 8 years would’ve panned out like it did.
Yh fair. I think it was ok but was very evident early he wasn’t up to it.
LVG should have been sacked after the horrendous run of games we had in December’15, which would have given us a better shot at top 4. But they gave him the season in order to save money.
I think 2 years with LVG is vindicated by the trophy win. Agree re top four but it was clear Mou was lined up and so we probably also deferred to his timing - whilst Mou was a terrible choice we were actually planning ahead then.

tomaldinho1

I mean, if you’re comparing them like for like then you’re really looking through red tinted glasses. Rodgers still has +1 trophy anyway. I don’t even rate Rodgers that highly, I just think Ole is completely unqualified.

It’d be like if I asked you who you’d rather have as your CB, Titus Bramble or Chris Smalling? Neither excite me but one is clearly better than the other.

Ixion

Why hasn’t Solskjaer been asked questions like this - particularly as he has made endless bizarre tactical decisions?

Why aren’t the media - that gain clicks from Utd - quizzing Solskjaer properly and thus gaining more money and clicks?

Why is he being babied? Who is ensuring this?
Because Ole just replies with something like you can talk about your tactics and formations but its about desire and winning 50/50s. The United Way.

AneRu

Not convinced by him but then he is better than Ole and wouldn't mind jumping ship mid season if we paid up his release clause. However the mere fact that he even has one makes me doubt him even more.

I worry that he won't rectify the issues we have with Ole and he is someone that I can see easily falling into the self preservation mode should we be on the receiving end of one or two bad results.

Status
Not open for further replies.