Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah I agree, I’m just not sure who. It’s a shame someone like Ancelotti isn’t available, because looking through the list I just don’t see anyone suitable as a caretaker even.
Being United's manager is possibly the hardest job in football. The person in question will have to compete with clubs with deep pockets and some of the top managers in the world. He also have to work with idiots above him and below him while tackling players with huge egos.

However there's a clear distinction between being United's permanent manager and United's temporary manager. The latter shouldn't worry about the long term as he won't be there for long. Players in such circumstances tend to look at the bigger picture which means that they will close an eye to any character or tactical flaws the manager may has. After all its not worth spending a year travelling to the four corners of Europe to play against Hoverla Uzhhorod or Bursaspor to make a temp manager look bad. A temp manager is there to rally to troops, get a functional system in place and win as many games as possible.

For the latter I can think of many candidates who can do a better job then Ole. Rangnick for example would be great. He is a very analytic and experienced having worked both as a manager and a DOF. The guy would only accept a temp role if he slots as a DOF afterwards which is great since it would add some football IQ at director's level. If the club doesn't want to commit to that then I'd suggest someone like Gattuso. He's not as good as Conte is but he's far more tactical then Ole is, he had some great results (5th place with Milan and Napoli), he knows how to organize a defense, he plays a 4-3-3 system and he is a true football legend. When Milan wanted him out he refused to take any severance pay because he didn't want to hurt his legend status at the club. The guy has played in the Scottish league (Rangers), he always wanted to play for us and he once said that he would walk to Manchester to get the job. Think of him as a more tactical and less psychopath version of Roy Keane

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'm sorry, but if we passed on Antonio Conte just to appoint Brendan Rodgers a month later... If this comes to pass, I will take a break from football for the foreseeable future. For the sake of my mental health.
It boggles the mind, doesn't it? And we will have to pay a release clause too on top of Solskjaer's compensation. Is it far-fetched to think it's just a smokescreen to make the fans swallow easier the idea that Solskjaer will last the season?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No, it doesn't. Bottling means losing your nerve. Are you saying Rodgers lost his nerve because he finished behind teams that are better than his?
He got his teams ahead of others, then they fell away with the end in sight.
Repeatedly.

It's repeated bottling.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm sorry, but if we passed on Antonio Conte just to appoint Brendan Rodgers a month later... If this comes to pass, I will take a break from football for the foreseeable future. For the sake of my mental health.
I'd be hoping it's like some of those games where the cafe is in absolute meltdown about a line up pre game, then it works amazingly.

Although that hasn't happened much this season, and surely doesn't happen much with managers!

It screams Moyes Part 2.
Keeping it British, moderate "success" elsewhere.

Teja

:lol:

Likewise.

lex talionis

Surprising how many of you think that Leicester should be finishing above us, Liverpool, City, and Chelsea, never mind teams like Spurs.

Or maybe you don't know what bottling means.
Indeed. The idea that Leicester City should be expected to finish above United is bizarre.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Leicester City, with a substantially inferior side -- on paper, that is, tore United apart? Ole of course takes a lot of the blame for that, but Brendan deserves a lot of credit for tearing apart a side that was still brimming with some confidence and had not yet been dismembered by Liverpool and City.

The Bloody-Nine

Repeatedly.

It's repeated bottling.
So anytime a team is ahead of another in the league but finishes behind them, it's bottling. Right. Squad quality, money spent, all irrelevant. Bottled it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So anytime a team is ahead of another in the league but finishes behind them, it's bottling. Right. Squad quality, money spent, all irrelevant. Bottled it.
Well if your team is comfortably second, about 15 points ahead of fifth, and then goes W4 D5 L8 in the last third of season, which is basically relegation candidate form, it’s quite concerning. You can’t even blame this on fatigue as they went W2 D3 L4 after COVID break which is terrible.

Then the season later you are in top 3 for almost the entire season and drop out of it two games before the end, going W1 D1 L3 to finish season.

I would say the above is almost the definition of bottling job.

What this shows is that he is perfectly capable of putting his team in a position to compete, punching above their weight even, but once they get there he will not be able to take them over the line. Happened at Liverpool, happened at Leicester, there is no reason to believe it won’t happen here.

He is another Moyes type of appointment. Chelsea or City would not even have him on the shortlist to replace Tuchel or Pep.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Surprising how many of you think that Leicester should be finishing above us, Liverpool, City, and Chelsea, never mind teams like Spurs.

Or maybe you don't know what bottling means.
In the context of those particular seasons they should have been able to secure top four at least once.

Obviously in terms of spend they're overachieving to be in the top four race. But then on paper we're underachieving not winning the league every second year. You adjust expectations for individual seasons to fit the reality of where teams actually are relative to each other, not where they should be. And in those two seasons Leicester were very viable top four candidates, which is why they spent most of those two seasons in the top four and were in poll position to claim a CL place only to fail to get it over the line both times.

It isn't necessarily down to them bottling it in terms of losing their nerve (though I'm sure the pressure didn't help). You could point to injuries (as Rodgers' defenders would) and you could also point to Rodgers' tactics (I note Leicester fans complaining about Rodgers approach in the 4-2 loss to Spurs that ultimately cost them last year, for example). Either way it was entirely within their grasp in both those seasons and they let it slip at a point when they were more than capable of securing it, so it's entirely fair to level criticism in their direction for not doing so.

Sarni

In the context of those particular seasons they should have been able to secure top four at least once.

Obviously in terms of spend they're overachieving to be in the top four race. But then on paper we're underachieving not winning the league every second year. You adjust expectations for individual seasons to fit the reality of where teams actually are relative to each other, not where they should be. And in those two seasons Leicester were very viable top four candidates, which is why they spent most of those two seasons in the top four and were in poll position to claim a CL place only to fail to get it over the line both times.

It isn't necessarily down to them bottling it in terms of losing their nerve (though I'm sure the pressure didn't help). You could point to injuries (as Rodgers' defenders would) and you could also point to Rodgers' tactics (I note Leicester fans complaining about Rodgers approach in the 4-2 loss to Spurs that ultimately cost them last year, for example). Either way it was entirely within their grasp in both those seasons and they let it slip at a point when they were more than capable of securing it, so it's entirely fair to level criticism in their direction for not doing so.
Yeah. Finishing below those teams is absolutely fine, the manner in which they did it points to some serious issues with management. Basically they thrive when there’s less pressure but collapse when there is more pressure. It is exactly what happened at Liverpool too.

At Man Utd you are don’t find yourself in low pressure situations, basically ever. We are expected to win every time we step on the pitch.

tomaldinho1

The flip side is they'll sack him as soon as he has a sustained rough patch (not ex player, Liverpool links) if there are better managers available in the summer. Is he better than Ole? Categorically yes. Is he going to win the PL/Cl, highly unlikely.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If they appoint Bodger it is just more proof that there is no ambition from Joel Glazer beyond finishing fourth and a quiet life.

dinostar77

It does sound like Utd higher ups want to continue the "cultural reboot theme" and get in a manager who gives young players a chance, has PL experience and wont rock the boat. I really do think now it will be Rodgers or they may wait to see if Poch gets sacked as PSG manager by end of season and get him in.

lemmiwink

I would take Rodgers, yes. I have liked his style since his Swansea days.

He is like a Moyes only with brilliant, attacking football. I think he would do well here. Better than Poch to be honest.

Reactions: Invictus

Marwood

Repeatedly.

It's repeated bottling.
He wasn't on the pitch.

How did he bottle it as a manger? What were his bottling actions?

Sarni

He wasn't on the pitch.

How did he bottle it as a manger? What were his bottling actions?
By that logic we should not sack Ole either as he has no influence on what happens on the pitch, he’s not there. So problem solved, we don’t hire Rodgers, we keep Ole.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think that’s a fair point and should definitely be considered but back to back 5th places shows consistency with a team that isn’t at that level.

I’m not making the point Rodgers is our only hope just that I believe he could take us forward and have us challenging for trophy’s at a higher level than we currently are.

Whoever comes in is going to have a really tough time overhauling pep and Klopp IMO
I agree. They have been consistent. But Spurs and Arsenal have been consistently poor too, so there has been a real opportunity there without the need for Leicester to do a miracle season again. In fact, considering Man Utd and Chelsea the past two seasons, and Liverpool last year, there was even a great opportunity to make top 4. If these three teams lost a few more games, Leicester would have made it. Rodgers reputation would be a lot higher today, without him actually performing any better.

It might me a bit simplistic. But in my view, considering the spending, Man Utd and Chelsea should be able to expect around 85 points. Or showing signs of getting towards something like that. We have seen Liverpool and Man City reach close to 100p. That is momentum and a bit of luck. But 85 to 95 should be possible.

Similarly, I guess Spurs/Arsenal would/could/should expect a minimum of 75 points. Consequently, I think 60/65 points is where teams to Leicester/West Ham should be. To go further, they need a bit of luck with recruitment etc.

On a further note, I am not sure Leicester have developed much either during Rodgers time there. They improved when they brought him in. They took 1,7 points per game his first season in the PL (10 games). Then 1,63 points per game in 19/20 and 1,74 in 20/21. This season they are currently at 1,36. I’m sure they will improve as the season progress, but it dont feel likely that they will show any real progress. That always impressed me with Liverpool under Klopp. They improved step by step each season. You could see it when they play, and you could see it in their results. Man Utd under Ferguson was similar.

Marwood

By that logic we should not sack Ole either as he has no influence on what happens on the pitch, he’s not there. So problem solved, we don’t hire Rodgers, we keep Ole.
That's not the same logic. You can say United are failing because Ole is picking the wrong players, using the wrong coaches etc. Specific explanations. Cause and effect.

I'm asking what did Rodgers do that caused his team to bottle it?

It's no use saying "he's a bottler" without giving actual examples of what he did wrong.

Not trying to trip anyone up, genuinely interested to know what he does at the back end of a season to make his players give up good opportunities.

dinostar77

How can someone who had won league titles and cup competitions be called a bottler? A bottler is someone who constantly fails at the last hurdle.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It does sound like Utd higher ups want to continue the "cultural reboot theme" and get in a manager who gives young players a chance, has PL experience and wont rock the boat. I really do think now it will be Rodgers or they may wait to see if Poch gets sacked as PSG manager by end of season and get him in.
I don't understand what value there is in PL experience. None of Pep, Klopp or Tuchel had any PL experience when they arrived. Meanwhile 3 out of our 4 recent managerial failures did.

Sarni

That's not the same logic. You can say United are failing because Ole is picking the wrong players, using the wrong coaches etc. Specific explanations. Cause and effect.

I'm asking what did Rodgers do that caused his team to bottle it?

It's no use saying "he's a bottler" without giving actual examples of what he did wrong.

Not trying to trip anyone up, genuinely interested to know what he does at the back end of a season to make his players give up good opportunities.
Well if the managers job is just to pick the right players and the right coaches then it’s also pointless to fire Ole and hire an expensive manager like Rodgers as most League One managers would likely ‘pick the right players’, at a lower price. To be completely honest picking the right team at United should be fairly straightforward most times.

Also it makes Rodgers job quite easy as Leicester’s team was small last year so there was not that much choice.

IMO managers job is also to motivate their players, make them focus in crucial moments and not struggle under pressure. It is arguably one of the most important traits to become successful at Man Utd. It’s also something he quite likely struggles with considering the evidence of his career so far.

Sarni

I don't understand what value there is in PL experience. None of Pep, Klopp or Tuchel had any PL experience when they arrived. Meanwhile 3 out of our 4 recent managerial failures did.
There is zero importance in that. Arguably the best coaching appointments of the last decade have all been foreign coaches, bar maybe Moyes at West Ham and a couple of smaller profile appointments.

Sarni

How can someone who had won league titles and cup competitions be called a bottler? A bottler is someone who constantly fails at the last hurdle.
His FA Cup win last year is basically the only trophy he won under pressure. Winning titles at Celtic back when Rangers barely made it out of Championship and were only building a team that could compete was barely an achievement.

The manner in which they won their 2016-17 season was impressive but kind of supports the argument that his teams thrive without pressure. Still, there is not a manager in professional football that would have failed to win any of those league titles with Celtic. Ole’s two titles at Molde were far more impressive as they came in a competitive league that had never been won by Molde prior to that.

We are basically back to trying to hire a manager because they’ve done well in the less prominent jobs and is British, like Moyes. Did not work the first time, will not work the second time, none of our prime competitors have done that and none of them will do that in the near future. When Chelsea job is open every 18 months or so you never get them linked with slightly above average Premier League managers, they go for coaches with trophies and accolades respected around Europe: Ancelotti, Conte, Tuchel, even Sarri and Villas Boas. The one time they made an exception was for their club legend and boy did they regret that decision.

mu4c_20le

Didn't he bottle top 4 twice in a row? Leicester fans themselves call him that.

croadyman

Manchester United desperately need a new manager NOW! There's a serious risk of missing out on top 4 and losing Ronaldo etc if we keep Ole, I think Watford with Ben Foster could turn us over! And nobody can doubt that Rodgers is better than Ole! We don't have to keep Rodgers if he isn't successful, why are people talking like it's Rodgers forever? It's getting a manager in whos available who can organise and coach a team properly for right now.

there was a risk about Klopp when he went to Liverpool. He wasn't guaranteed to take that next step to becoming an elite manager if you go back and read fan forums at the time a lot of people had doubts. So Rodgers could do the same and take that next step when given a chance at a big club and shock/surprise the World. It's a risk but so is Ten Haag, Zidane etc no manager appointment is guaranteed for trophies otherwise we would've won major trophies with Mourinho. It's about the players on the pitch, a manager can only do so much. As long as you have a coach who can properly organise and coach a team ala Fergie, which Ole can't! You have a chance.

Rodgers won the FA CUP for a small club like Leicester and a bunch of trophies in Scotland like Fergie did. He deserves his chance at a big club. Sick of foreign managers always getting the big jobs.

Rodgers remit this season would be top 4 anyway and a title challenge next season. Manage expectations. You can't expect him to take the blame for Ole's mess ruining the season.
Yeah I have said it once and will say it again he isn't my top choice to be the next manager, however IF we have absolutely zero intention of appointing an interim NOW or acting like a big club and going for Pochettino/Ten Hag then hate to say he is the next best option available. I just cannot allow myself to contemplate any more games with Ole in charge because he will further alienate the fringe players and can see the big names eventually losing patience with him as well.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Would not take him under any circumstances. Can’t believe anyone would seriously suggest we ever appoint him.

Needham

No one ever thinks of this from Rodgers point of view. Picture the scene if you're Brendan. Especially in the international break. Imagine all that ruminating. The balancing act. That takes its toll. And do we really want a manager who's been trolled? Personally, I like him. His vibus. But the poison of having spent all that time at Melwood. We are on the brink of being cursed post-Fergie already. This guy would bring a whole new level of invisible devils.

Telsim

The flip side is they'll sack him as soon as he has a sustained rough patch (not ex player, Liverpool links) if there are better managers available in the summer. Is he better than Ole? Categorically yes. Is he going to win the PL/Cl, highly unlikely.
They would sack him if this was the goal of our club. But it is not. Rodgers can comfortably challenge top 4 with Manchester United's resources. Maybe even Carabao and FA. But that's it. He is not winning PL/CL/Europa in a million years. He is good enough to remain in the job, but not good enough to do anything that actually matters.

I do agree though that the pressure from the fans at his first rough patch will be massive. If the fans have so much patience for Ole as a club legend, I imagine their patience for a Liverpool reject will be non-existent. Particularly if we lose to Liverpool during his tenure.

dinostar77

I dont disagree, its what's being said journalists on the situation.

captaincantona

It’s hard to know how Tuchel will work out. His first half season was amazing but if you know anything about the man and his style when shit hits the fan...watch this space.

Pep and Klopp also took some time to adapt somewhat but you really can’t add them to any manager arguement- they appear to be in a League of their own.

I think the arguement comes from the fact that countless managers are brought in from Europe and further a field and last a season or two or less simply because by the time they have adapted to account for what their teams actually need to do to be competitive in the PL, they are mid to low table and under pressure. (De Boer, Lage, Farke, Pelligrino, Scolari, Sarri, Flores, Ramos, Laudrup) A PL manager understands the challenge as so is set for that from day one.
It’s not always the case as you pointed out with the few managers you mentioned but then there are few managers of that quality about.

Ixion

I agree to an extent but I feel like much of LVG's failings here were because the PL was a shell shock to him and went super conservative.

Ralph1386

Like I said, he wouldn’t be my number one choice. I would prefer Zidane. But if you watch him talk about tactics here, it’s so refreshing to listen to compared to the “desire, passion, energy and express yourself” talk that we have been served up with in recent years.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He's not proved he's 'far' better at all.
Jesus.

If Leicester fans were sinners in a past life and their penance in this was to be saddled with Solskjaer as manager, there’s no doubt in my mind they’d be relegation candidates. Imagine being the proud owners of the defensive statistics we have this season - where we are practically bottom in every important metric, not to mention the obscenity that is our ‘running’ record - but replicate them with a Leicester squad who possess far less talent than we do… the results would not be pretty.

We are in a clinically depressing situation whereby our current manager and coaching setup is so out of their collective depths that it’s hard to believe but the players they preside over are so talented that they continually mask the managerial and coaching deficiencies. Give Solskjaer an inferior squad (as we have seen before with Cardiff) and he will massively struggle; give Rodgers an inferior squad (as we have seen before with Swansea, Liverpool and Leicester) and he can produce brilliant results playing brilliant football.

Solskjaer and Rodgers are polar opposites when it comes to understanding and implementing footballing styles and tactics. The fact this needs to be even argued among our fanbase is a very worrying development after having front-row seats to the footballing shitshow (from a playing style and tactical point of view) that’s been the last three years.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lots of people on here are underestimating "The Brodge." Easily more qualified than either Ten Hag or Zidane who would both be a massive risk. Brendan is the smart choice, I hope Utd can get him. Pretty sure he will win over the doubters.
:lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Every single manager we have had post-SAF has been given far longer than they ever should have. Don’t hold your breath for any proactive early dismissals where needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.