Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Long enough to get them to a Champions League final.
Months right? I tend to avoid watching worthless cups unless we're involved in them, hence why I am asking. How did Chelsea play during the game? Did Leicester deserve the win or was it a bit of a fluke?

SonyaCross493

Are you seriously comparing Rodgers to Klopp? Klopp won 2 BL, reached a UCL final, went against Bayern in cups & came out victorious. What is Rodgers’ corresponding achievements?
To say that each appointment carries risk is neither here nor there. Good management is installed to weight those risks with pros and take an educated call. Ten Hag has a lot more going for him than Rodgers and IMO, a much lesser risk if the objective is to be PL champions again. If it is just to finish in the Top 4, sure, by all means we should go ahead with a known quantity such as Rodgers. That should not be the limit of ambition for a club with the resources of Manchester United.
it's about getting the best manager available for Manchester United right NOW. Zidane and Ten Haag are not available right now so would you rather stick with Ole until the summer and risk getting top 4? When Rodgers will atleast give us a better chance of achieving that and maybe more next season who knows.

people are talking like we can't replace Rodgers if he fails

plus Ten Haag has an Ajax set up with people like Van Der Sar etc above him. He won't have that at United with the Glaziers. Plus he's not Premier League proven like Rodgers. It's a totally different League the Dutch League. A big risk.

Everyoneout

Brenda being an ex-Liverpool manager will be more than enough to put the United faithful off. He'll get no time to adapt, as the OT crowd will turn on him unless he makes a flying start. It's all set up for him to fail drastically.

How could we possibly overlook Conte? A proven winner across multiple competitive leagues, managed the biggest names in the game and is well-suited to handle the pressures of a big club.

Brendan Rodgers has managed one big club in his entire managerial career and he failed to deliver. Why would it be any different at United?
Exactly. We have missed a more or less guaranteed fix with Conte and are supposedly contemplating Rodgers. If he comes I will seriously consider sticking my fingers in the light socket.

SonyaCross493

Beginning to suspect that people want Ole out the door so much that they'd be willing to take literally anyone.
when we are struggling to get top 4 and got beat by City and Liverpool 5-0 yeah Ole should already be sacked. That's standards of a big club.

just want a manager who can coach and organise a team properly this season. Otherwise it will be a long miserable season if we stick with Ole.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Brenda being an ex-Liverpool manager will be more than enough to put the United faithful off. He'll get no time to adapt, as the OT crowd will turn on him unless he makes a flying start. It's all set up for him to fail drastically.
It really won't. Bubsy was a Liverpool FC captain and that was a different era. Right now the modern game has more of a managerial merry go round and Brendan was a manager of that club a long time ago.
Brendan Rodgers has managed one big club in his entire managerial career and he failed to deliver. Why would it be any different at United?
It's really silly logic to say he failed at one club and therefore he'll always fail. He had Liverpool 5 points clear with 3 games left and Gerrard's slip really was the difference. If that sort of run isn't going to convince you that he's always been a good manager with great potential then little else will. Especially considering his life since than has included back to back trebles in Scotland and an FA Cup with Leicester.

Frank Grimes

Months right? I tend to avoid watching worthless cups unless we're involved in them, hence why I am asking. How did Chelsea play during the game? Did Leicester deserve the win or was it a bit of a fluke?
They played more than 1 game to win the damn thing. They beat Brighton, Man Utd, Southampton and Chelsea en route to success only conceding 2 goals in the process. Doesn't sound flukey to me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Beginning to suspect that people want Ole out the door so much that they'd be willing to take literally anyone.
Definitely. The papers could link literally anyone and many on here will convince themselves it's a good idea.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They played more than 1 game to win the damn thing. They beat Brighton, Man Utd, Southampton and Chelsea en route to success only conceding 2 goals in the process. Doesn't sound flukey to me.
I was referring to the Final itself. Apologies for not making it clear

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It really won't. Bubsy was a Liverpool FC captain and that was a different era. Right now the modern game has more of a managerial merry go round and Brendan was a manager of that club a long time ago.

It's really silly logic to say he failed at one club and therefore he'll always fail. He had Liverpool 5 points clear with 3 games left and Gerrard's slip really was the difference. If that sort of run isn't going to convince you that he's always been a good manager with great potential then little else will. Especially considering his life since than has included back to back trebles in Scotland and an FA Cup with Leicester.
That's another thing that goes against Brenda. It can't be a coincidence that his teams consistently end the season badly. Remember the 3-3 draw with Palace that cost Liverpool the title? Or how many times his Leicester side faltered at the end of the season, costing them top four?

I cannot fathom how this guy is preferable to Conte, Zidane or clearly talented Ten Hag.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
it's about getting the best manager available for Manchester United right NOW. Zidane and Ten Haag are not available right now so would you rather stick with Ole until the summer and risk getting top 4? When Rodgers will atleast give us a better chance of achieving that and maybe more next season who knows.

people are talking like we can't replace Rodgers if he fails

plus Ten Haag has an Ajax set up with people like Van Der Sar etc above him. He won't have that at United with the Glaziers. Plus he's not Premier League proven like Rodgers. It's a totally different League the Dutch League. A big risk.
I question the premise of your argument. How do we know who is available now? Has Man Utd approached clubs and said we'll offer you X million in compensation for your coach, to see if those people are available?

All we have seen reported is that Brentan has a clause in his contract. So that does not make him the only guy available, it makes him a cheaper alternative to others available. Very different scenario.

Also, even if we're only looking at cheap options: Is Brendan a better coach than Joachim Low? Is he a better coach than Ernesto Valverde or Rudi Garcia? All of these coaches are currently unemployed and I don't think its obvious that Brendan is a far superior coach to them.

Lecland07

I think this idea that he 'bottled it' at Leicester is a bit silly, to be honest.

Spend in previous 5 seasons (by Net)
Man United - £665.73m (Gross) - £479.58m (Net)
Man City - £760.42m (Gross) - £458.55m (Net)
Chelsea - £793.35m (Gross) - £240.32m (Net)
Liverpool - £417.82m (Gross) - £148.68m (Net)
Leicester - £385.96m (Gross) - £123m (Net)

Leicester: 207.36m (Gross) - £75.71m (Net) - Under Rodgers

Before this summer, Rodgers net spend was £18.47m. So, how exactly was he expected to compete for top four in the last two seasons with vastly lower resources?

Reactions: roonster09

Ixion

I think this idea that he 'bottled it' at Leicester is a bit silly, to be honest.

Before this summer, Rodgers net spend was £18.47m. So, how exactly was he expected to compete for top four in the last two seasons with vastly lower resources?
You're not allowed to talk logic. If a big team overtakes a smaller team it is because their manager bottled it and the other is mentally superior, nothing to do with squad size or resources. We are all waiting for Moyes to bottle it this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

There's two slightly separate points, I think.

One is whether Leicester on paper should have been expecting to finish in the top four based on spend. And in that sense you're absolutely correct, they would be overachieving in that regard.

The other is given that Leicester actually were in poll position to secure top four two years in a row then should Rodgers have been able to secure it in at least one of those years based on the de facto reality of the teams involved at point?

Put it this way: by the logic of the above, any year we didn't win the title over the last several would be underperformance. But in real terms most people accepted that our team was in a place where that wasn't realistic despite our spend, so expectations were adjusted in line with where the team actually was.

The same also applies in reverse for Leicester. You can say that any year Leicester were involved in the top four race is overperformance, but in real terms most people accepted that a top four finish was very much realistic for Leicester over those two seasons given they spent more time in the top four than anyone else (567 days over both seasons). At which point it's fair to ask why they blew it both times from that excellent position.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

To a degree yeah, we did help with their net spend a bit. :lol:
I feel they probably should have made top 4 last year though. With 5 games to go they were in 3rd. Drew 1-1 away against Southampton who had a player sent off after 10 minutes, lost 4-2 at home against Newcastle, beat us 2-1 away (good result tbf), lost 2-1 away to Chelsea and then recieved their annual end of season spanking (4-2) by Spurs to end up 1 point behind Chelsea.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's another thing that goes against Brenda. It can't be a coincidence that his teams consistently end the season badly. Remember the 3-3 draw with Palace that cost Liverpool the title? Or how many times his Leicester side faltered at the end of the season, costing them top four?

I cannot fathom how this guy is preferable to Conte, Zidane or clearly talented Ten Hag.
You cant fathom all you want but he's managing clubs that were punching above their weight. The only time Ten Hag displayed outperforming teams he wasn't expected to that was in the Champions League of 2017 and the recent Dortmund fixtures, but in domestic terms there's nothing to say he too wouldn't struggle or capitulate in the Premier League.

Context is quite important - if you want to blame Gerrard's slip on Rodgers' managing, or the Leicester defeat to us 2 seasons ago when they had 4-5 big injuries, then go for it. It would be a bit bizarre but you can call him a bottle job for it if you want. The guy won the FA Cup last season though so maybe he's not as much of a bottler as we think.

Conte was definitely a good choice in my opinion but it is evident the board don't want someone too confrontational and perhaps the system of 343/352 wasn't one that we were after. You should forget about Conte for the managerial conversation in that sense. If it's Rodgers vs Ten Hag vs Poch, lets face it, there isn't a lot by way of achievements with any of them. So why don't we stop beating Rodgers with the "lack of achievements" stick, eh?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I agree and that is a good point; one could not expect Leicester to be in the top 4. To say that he bottled it is probably not fair.

But, with five matches to go in 20/21 he had an 8 points lead on Liverpool. They where in this position due to Liverpool being awful not because Leicester did great. In other words, 8 points in 5 five games would have been enough. They dropped points to both Southampton and Newcastle, and then of course struggled with three tough games in the end.

It was similar in 19/20. Man Utd had an awful season and with eight games to go Man Utd were eight points behind. In the run in Leicester dropped points to Norwich, Watford, Brighton and Bmth.

While Leicester probably would have been happy with 5th initially, it is fair to say that in both cases they failed to grab a great opportunity.

Ixion

If we'd beat Liverpool at OT instead of getting smashed for 4 I doubt Liverpool would have overtaken Leicester. FFS Ole.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Context is quite important - if you want to blame Gerrard's slip on Rodgers' managing,
I dont blame Rodgers for that goal. But they conceeded 49 other goals that season. And it is really hard to win the league with a leaky defence like that. Gerrard had to take the blame and was the scape goat. With a better manager, that goal would not been that crucial.

People keep talking about poor defenders. That might be true. But Rodgers spent heavily on one of them. Ranieri did not have a great defence either at Leicester. In fact, it was probably much worse. He solved it by putting so much attention to the structure of his team.

Judas

Open to offers

How could we possibly overlook Conte? A proven winner across multiple competitive leagues, managed the biggest names in the game and is well-suited to handle the pressures of a big club.

I don't want him either, he's not good enough, I've said it loads. But you can say that without really underrating him.

Stactix

Would Liverpool take him back if Klopp left?

I doubt it.

Where are LCFC this season, oh they're below Utd.

Can he fix Utd's defence? I doubt it.

Jeez the amount of pisstaking Utd fans did of Rodgers.. now some are seemingly desperate for him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dont blame Rodgers for that goal. But they conceeded 49 other goals that season. And it is really hard to win the league with a leaky defence like that. Gerrard had to take the blame and was the scape goat. With a better manager, that goal would not been that crucial.

People keep talking about poor defenders. That might be true. But Rodgers spent heavily on one of them. Ranieri did not have a great defence either at Leicester. In fact, it was probably much worse. He solved it by putting so much attention to the structure of his team.
It was a top heavy team, and he didn't compromise on his philosophy in spite of that. I fully accept he has his flaws, Leicester for example looked far too open at the back in periods of this and last season.

My overall point is just that Ten Hag and Poch are just as unknown a quantity, because of different reasons. Don't get me wrong in a short list of those 3 Brendan comes 3rd for me. I just feel like there is an overrated distain for him on the caf which I just don't understand.

You have posters calling him Brenda and suggesting he's shite. And you have others saying he's won nothing, and when they're told he's won an FA Cup in England and 2 trebles in Scotland, they still say "yeah, so he's won nothing" (?!)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would Liverpool take him back if Klopp left?

I doubt it.

Can he fix Utd's defence? I doubt it.

Jeez the amount of pisstaking Utd fans did of Rodgers.. now some are seemingly desperate for him.
Feel free to troll through my posts even during the Liverpool era - I always thought he was a good manager. And re. Liverpool, they might not hire him in the end but I'm sure he would be considered in a shortlist. He's a very good manager.

Ixion

They've had a poor start but all their summer signings combined cost less than Sancho just for some perspective on the two clubs you're comparing there.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It was a top heavy team, and he didn't compromise on his philosophy in spite of that. I fully accept he has his flaws, Leicester for example looked far too open at the back in periods of this and last season.

My overall point is just that Ten Hag and Poch are just as unknown a quantity, because of different reasons. Don't get me wrong in a short list of those 3 Brendan comes 3rd for me. I just feel like there is an overrated distain for him on the caf which I just don't understand.

You have posters calling him Brenda and suggesting he's shite. And you have others saying he's won nothing, and when they're told he's won an FA Cup in England and 2 trebles in Scotland, they still say "yeah, so he's won nothing" (?!)
He was the Liverpool manager and its a Man Utd forum.

You won't hear the CAF singing the praises of Rafa Benitez either.

Its obvious why people are lukewarm towards him and that's the main reason why he shouldn't get the job. From day one, at the first sign of trouble people will turn because of his past. It puts unnecessary pressure on him and on the team.

I do not want the guy who came closest to giving Gerrard a Premier League winners medal as Man Utd manager. Its that simple.

Man Utd is big enough and rich enough to buy another coach out of their contract. That's what we should do. And if we're too cheap to do that then we should go get Ragnick or Joachim Low or Rudi Garcia for 9 to 18 months, and see if someone like Luis Enrique quits a national team job after Qatar 2022.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
To a degree yeah, we did help with their net spend a bit. :lol:
I feel they probably should have made top 4 last year though. With 5 games to go they were in 3rd. Drew 1-1 away against Southampton who had a player sent off after 10 minutes, lost 4-2 at home against Newcastle, beat us 2-1 away (good result tbf), lost 2-1 away to Chelsea and then recieved their annual end of season spanking (4-2) by Spurs to end up 1 point behind Chelsea.
The win against us came 2 days after we played Villa and we fielded a total second string too. They were absolute bobbins against us in that context - we were the better side first half!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
You have posters calling him Brenda and suggesting he's shite.
I agree. I dont get that either. Some should really grow up. That being said, I not pay much attention to those.

At the same time, you have quite a few serious, experienced posters in here closing there eyes to any argument pointing out his flaws or weaknesses.

I do think Rodgers would do better than OGS. And a big worry would be that he could be just good enough to stick around for awhile. Because I’m quite confident that he is far from good enough to win or make much progress with us. Then we could truly be talking about a lost decade.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lots of people on here are underestimating "The Brodge." Easily more qualified than either Ten Hag or Zidane who would both be a massive risk. Brendan is the smart choice, I hope Utd can get him. Pretty sure he will win over the doubters.
Bigger risk than a man that's actually the league he's been in twice and the CL thrice? The things people write on here...

Stactix

They've had a poor start but all their summer signings combined cost less than Sancho just for some perspective on the two clubs you're comparing there.
I don't recall them losing a Grealish, they won an Fa cup last season and bottled top 4.
Yet are below Brighton and have conceded more goals than Utd in the league.

When you factor how much time and patience Ole has, it will be worse than Moyes with Rodgers. He would literally need to hit the ground running otherwise fans and players would turn on him pretty quick considering his past.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I think it's fair to say he's far from ideal, but is undoubtedly an upgrade on Ole, so who are we to say no? I doubt he can succeed with the poor structure that would be above him, but he's better than doing nothing.

Stactix

Feel free to troll through my posts even during the Liverpool era - I always thought he was a good manager. And re. Liverpool, they might not hire him in the end but I'm sure he would be considered in a shortlist. He's a very good manager.
He's a good manager, better than Ole. Yet he won't fix our defense, despite our calamity at the back this season LCFC have conceded more than us in the league.

If he wasn't good enough to stay at Liverpool, he is not good enough for Utd. Simple.
Also you need to see consistent improvement, why are Utd interested in a manager that is currently doing worse than previous seasons with his team?

Utd either need quick guranteed succeess, Conte was our best hope for that. Or someone that can modernise Utds playstyle to be able to compete with Klopp, Tuchel and Guardiola.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
At Arsenal, I definitely would take Rodgers over Arteta.

Both United and Arsenal fans are in such a depressing state managerially and maybe even structurally. It's all self-inflicted as well.

It's not about the cash too. Plenty have been thrown around by both clubs. It's the management and the structure which are the problems. There doesn't seem to be a clear plan to get us out of this mess.

I still cannot get over how Liverpool fired Rodgers even after coming extremely close to a league title. They got rid and went straight for Klopp because he was available.

Meanwhile Arsenal fans were still singing Wenger's name at the time. I literally predicted exactly what would happen. I even got banned from the Arsenal forum for calling for Klopp to replace Wenger. Klopp wanted to come to Arsenal, that was his first choice. I said at the time, Liverpool will leapfrog Arsenal for the next decade, but even I didn't imagine how bad it would become.

Now we're in such a state that we wouldn't mind Rodgers coming in.

This is what happens to clubs who are too sentimental to make the right decisions. In this business, you have to be ruthless and have a strong plan.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The win against us came 2 days after we played Villa and we fielded a total second string too. They were absolute bobbins against us in that context - we were the better side first half!
Just looked at the line-up and yeah, midfield of Matic, VDB(!), Mata, Elanga and Amad.
I guess, someone had to give them that 1 win from 5.

SonyaCross493

All I want is for Manchester United to get a manager now who makes the team and players competitive and fight not losing 5-0 to Liverpool and 2-0 to City.. just set the team up with proper structure, organisation, tactics and coaching not having favourites like Bruno and Maguire if they are in poor form they get dropped.. is that too much to ask? The club is on the floor with Ole and only going one way..

if Brendan Rodgers can stop the bleeding and rebuild the house with the damage caused by Ole we should be grateful. Even if it's just short-term until next season. We are desperate.

Real Name

All the while praising Poch who wan nothing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You cant fathom all you want but he's managing clubs that were punching above their weight. The only time Ten Hag displayed outperforming teams he wasn't expected to that was in the Champions League of 2017 and the recent Dortmund fixtures, but in domestic terms there's nothing to say he too wouldn't struggle or capitulate in the Premier League.

Context is quite important - if you want to blame Gerrard's slip on Rodgers' managing, or the Leicester defeat to us 2 seasons ago when they had 4-5 big injuries, then go for it. It would be a bit bizarre but you can call him a bottle job for it if you want. The guy won the FA Cup last season though so maybe he's not as much of a bottler as we think.

Conte was definitely a good choice in my opinion but it is evident the board don't want someone too confrontational and perhaps the system of 343/352 wasn't one that we were after. You should forget about Conte for the managerial conversation in that sense. If it's Rodgers vs Ten Hag vs Poch, lets face it, there isn't a lot by way of achievements with any of them. So why don't we stop beating Rodgers with the "lack of achievements" stick, eh?
Er, no?

The only reason we could even entertain the idea of of hiring an ex-Liverpool manager is if his resume was outstanding. Brendan Rodgers has a single FA Cup to his name - his achievements in the Scottish Prem are irrelevant, to put it mildly.

He has not proven himself capable of handling the pressures associated with a big club. That's evident from his time at Liverpool, which ended in him getting sacked for repeated failures.

What measurement are you using to arrive at that conclusion? He's a good manager for a club with limited expectations, similar to Moyes, maybe, but he is a proven failure at the only big club he ever managed.

I legit don't get what you see in him that even remotely qualifies him as a manager good enough to take our club to the next level. If I'm missing some blinding facts here, please point them out.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Bigger risk than a man that's actually the league he's been in twice and the CL thrice? The things people write on here...
Zidane would be an absolute disaster at Utd. I am sorry you don't see that but I do. He can't speak English, he would have to deal with a non-footballing board of directors, he has no experience of the English game. He is not stupid, Utd job is a guarenteed failure for him. Brendan is way more qualified to deal with Utd's problems than fecking Zidane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.