• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
In any conceivable universe will Rodgers be as good as Guardiola or Klopp? I'd say no. We need to find a manager who has a reasonable shout of joining the greats one day, and that manager is not Rodgers. He'd get a better tune of out of squad than Ole is getting currently but I don't think it would be enough of a difference to justify signing Rodgers to a multi-year contract.
It’s depressing to think that our main 4 competitors are going to have Klopp, Tuchel, Pep and Conte - all possibly top 5 coaches in Europe - while we might have Rodgers who is probably not even top 25.

And the long term thing is exactly what is concerning here, he won’t be here to steady the ship for 6 months. He will be expected to last.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Here's why ManUnited is always behind. Liverpool has experienced peak Rodgers and decided to move him on by hiring Klopp. Meanwhile we're still transitioning from no manager to Rodgers.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Here's why ManUnited is always behind. Liverpool has experienced peak Rodgers and decided to move him on by hiring Klopp. Meanwhile we're still transitioning from no manager to Rodgers.
It’s possible that the Liverpool job came too early for him, I mean wasn’t he still in his 30s?

Not that I think he’s the man for the job, but still. He’s likely a much better coach than he was nearly a decade ago.

redshaw

While I think Rodgers has done a decent job at Leicester his record in Europe with Celtic getting beat by teams you've never heard of raises a lot of questions. I don't recall Rangers being able to challenge so people saying he dominated in Scotland is not worth much especially considering the teams they lost to in Europe.

Leicester have fallen away twice from comfortable top 4 positions, they also seem to have slipped back since the FA Cup win, that could indicate Rodgers is struggling to focus the players after a small success. Leicester outside of the managers have recruited very well so that will factor into the form of recent years and winning the league, we at United may still need to address some issues with our buying, something that Rodgers would expect the club to do like Leicester seem to, like Chelsea do overall. Chelsea generally get good fullbacks and midfielders. Barring a purple patch with Shaw I can't recall one since Fergie. All been dross or ill fitting. We tend to over spend, get poor value and end up with a mishmash but on paper sounds good. You'd hope Rodgers could improve some areas but I feel we still need to replace some poor choices.

Last edited:

Waynne

I'll take Rodgers as caretaker until we get someone better but never on a permanent basis.

Would any elite clubs take him as a permanent manager. Why does Man United always settle for average? We never do things easy by getting the best possible people in their line of work.

Kaos

I'll take Rodgers as caretaker until we get someone better but never on a permanent basis.

Would any elite clubs take him as a permanent manager. Why does Man United always settle for average? We never do things easy by getting the best possible people in their line of work.
City apparently, and Chelsea are still admirers. He's not my first choice but he's clearly a very good coach that's admired amongst the footballing elite.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Redundant really, mate. Most would agree that Rodgers has matured and improved a lot since his Liverpool days. Even then, he almost won the league with a fairly average Liverpool squad too. I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

Nicoseth

Whoever was and is in charge of succession planning at United needs the sack. Utter shambles
Agreed. Much like our transfer business - just scattered with no forward planning. "Oh, we can't get Sancho, let's sign VDB, Amad, Pellestri, Telles and Cavani". "Ronaldo might go to city and we'll miss out on the merch sales - sign him". Can't think of another 'elite' club that acts like this.

hobbers

100% - if he was going to city to replace Pep, people would be calling it shrewd.
Some people might. I'd be calling them stupid.

City dont have some magic formula for hiring managers and signing players. They have more misses than hits on both counts. And the players we beat them to all turn out to be duds.

Also the Rodgers-City links are obviously 100% perpetuated by Rodgers himself. As, I suspect, are the recent links with us (though I'm sure the Glazers and the bankers do like him).

Last edited:

Nicoseth

Some people might. I'd be calling them stupid.

City dont have some magic formula for hiring managers and signing players. They have more misses than hits on both counts. And the players we beat them to all turn out to be duds.

Also the Rodgers-City links are obviously 100% perpetuated by Rodgers himself. As, I suspect, are the recent links with us (though I'm sure the Glazers and the bankers do like him).
Come on, man. Pep has been outstanding and prior to him they had Mancini and Pellegrini - both of whom won major honors while they were there. Most of their signings have been pretty good too - hence the feckin brilliant squad that they have. As for Rodgers perpetuating the rumors himself - what make you say that? Got any evidence that that's the case? Seems highly unlikely if you ask me.

hobbers

Come on, man. Pep has been outstanding and prior to him they had Mancini and Pellegrini - both of whom won major honors while they were there. Most of their signings have been pretty good too - hence the feckin brilliant squad that they have. As for Rodgers perpetuating the rumors himself - what make you say that? Got any evidence that that's the case? Seems highly unlikely if you ask me.
They have a brilliant squad because if you throw enough shit at a wall some of it is bound to stick. For every Ake there's a Dias. For every Zinchenko a Cancelo. Signing Pep was the most obvious thing for any club to do. Signing who comes after Pep is far from obvious, and I bet you anything that even if he's available it won't end up being Rodgers.

Why would it seem highly unlikely that an ambitious manager would try to generate some interest in himself from big clubs? The guy clearly loved every second of Being Liverpool, and from any interview with him it's obvious he's the managerial equivalent of Michael Owen when it comes to self-promotion.

Nicoseth

They have a brilliant squad because if you throw enough shit at a wall some of it is bound to stick. For every Ake there's a Dias. For every Zinchenko a Cancelo. Signing Pep was the most obvious thing for any club to do. Signing who comes after Pep is far from obvious, and I bet you anything that even if he's available it won't end up being Rodgers.

Why would it seem highly unlikely that an ambitious manager would try to generate some interest in himself from big clubs? The guy clearly loved every second of Being Liverpool, and from any interview with him it's obvious he's the managerial equivalent of Michael Owen when it comes to self-promotion.
I'd argue that Ake hasn't been a flop - he's a squad player. Any you know Zinchenko cost 1.7m - so outstanding value really. Your point doesn't really stand - so even if Rodgers was promoting himself for the job, wouldn't others be too? And if that's what most ambitious managers out there are doing, wouldn't there be a whole host of them linked with the job? Yet Rodgers is the one that's mentioned the most. Don't get me wrong, I can see how some people mightn't like Rodgers, especially given his liverpool connection, but I don't agree with your logic. But hey, to each their own.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

There's been rumours and stories for a while, saying that City want him to replace Pep when he leaves. What would be typical for the times it's that you all slate the possibility of us getting him, only to watch him go to City and be like 'Actually, he's quite good'.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He has won something so I'd give him that. Also his pool side played good football. I just think we have to think ahead, what happens after Rodgers and hire that manager instead and skipping Rodgers. Ten Hag. Bring him in at all cost than waiting for 2-3 more years. I also doubt he will want to be a caretaker. Why leave a permanent position at Leicester to be a caretaker? it doesnt make sense.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford - Greenwood
<- Sancho ->
Been thinking about tactics & if he might use Sancho centrally like he used Sterling behind Suarez & Sturridge. Letting Sancho decide to overlap on the left or the right or go through the centre, especially since Sancho is known for his timed through balls.

Leicester Fox

Supports
Leicester
I remember Leicester fans being underwhelmed with the appointment of Ranieri, look what happened there.

Sometimes you get the right manager that fits, and I think Rodgers would be that.

Theres been plenty of managers that have failed at certain clubs then gone onto do better things at other clubs.

Even the great Sir Alex, was a Mark Robins goal from being sacked.

Bebestation

I remember Leicester fans being underwhelmed with the appointment of Ranieri, look what happened there.

Sometimes you get the right manager that fits, and I think Rodgers would be that.

Theres been plenty of managers that have failed at certain clubs then gone onto do better things at other clubs.

Even the great Sir Alex, was a Mark Robins goal from being sacked.
Is the Rodgers/Leicester struggles normal this year or overhyped?

Why is it happening in your eyes? Did it happen last year?

Interval

Level
It’s not the worst decision on the planet. He is a good manager with a good style of play and generally prefers scoring goals.

But his potential appointment reeks of the same mistakes we keep making. Not getting the absolute best and progressive manager available, thinking about the managerial position in isolation from the rest of the footballing structure and allowing non footballing guys to make crappy footballing decisions.

Abhinav

Rodgers is a good manager. However, good managers don't win major titles consistently. You need to be an excellent manager to be consistently successful in a competitive league such as EPL. His competition in the PL are 4 of the best managers in the world, in the UCL he will have to compete with teams with similar resources and better managers.
His career win record is decent but nothing spectacular. The best he has done in any job is to reach a win %age of 50%, losing more games than drawing in the process (Leaving aside the Celtic job, which lets face it, was a one horse league). Do we really think this guy is the answer? If we appoint him then we will be sitting here in 2 years time with the same anguish, another 200M down the drain. I really don't get the clamour behind this guy as a Man United manager.

justsomebloke

I cannot believe some of the anti Rodgers comments in this thread. With the logic of some of the comments on here utd should of dismissed hiring Sir Matt Busby because he played for Liverpool. Utd hire Ole on the basis he was a utd playing legend, hand him 200 million and we are no closer to a League title in any time since SAF called it a day but he was a playing legend so keep him in the job. If Gerard had not slipped against Chelsea, Rodgers would of won the EPL and because of this failure the team confidence was hugely dented and they were not in contention the following year due to poor form and Shitty, Utd & Chelsea spent another fortune on players making this harder. The most annoying part is that the widely held consensus is that Rodgers is seen as a better manager than Ole but he is not good enough for utd, but Ole is. Its best we stay rudderless with no identity, no gameplan and a team that play like they strangers than find someone who even begins the process of putting a side together with some degree of an identity, way of playing and a team. I personally see the Liverpool link as a negative but whats even more negative for me is the sate of this current utd side so if Rogers is hired I'm going to give him my backing and hope he starts the process of getting us competitive against the tops sides in the league and going for trophies. As things stand under Ole.. I have NO hope.
The issue is hardly if Rodgers is better than continuing with Ole though. As things stand, it looks obvious the latter is not really an option.

Bebestation

Rodgers is a good manager. However, good managers don't win major titles consistently. You need to be an excellent manager to be consistently successful in a competitive league such as EPL. His competition in the PL are 4 of the best managers in the world, in the UCL he will have to compete with teams with similar resources and better managers.
His career win record is decent but nothing spectacular. The best he has done in any job is to reach a win %age of 50%, losing more games than drawing in the process (Leaving aside the Celtic job, which lets face it, was a one horse league). Do we really think this guy is the answer? If we appoint him then we will be sitting here in 2 years time with the same anguish, another 200M down the drain. I really don't get the clamour behind this guy as a Man United manager.
This is why I feel like it's the wrong time to go for Brendan Rodgers.

Why go for Rodgers when your competing with the best managers in the world with Pep, Tuchel, Klopp & Conte as your direct competition?

Rodgers is just going to be under immense pressure and get sacked eventually.

Managers like Klopp and Pep have talked about them leaving their clubs soon for a break/new job. Tuchel & Conte are traditionally short term managers.

I'd rather have the ability to go for Brendan Rodgers during that time when the leagues level of management has gone down a level (like how La Liga's management is average right now). Then Brendan Rodgers can come here and actually try to win something - after all when he came second with Liverpool, that wasn't with all of Pep, Tuchel, Conte and Klopp as his competitors was it?

Getting him now, making him compete with the world's best, only for the people who wanted him here to get fustrsted enough to sack him - will just leave us with one less good homegrown manager we can get in the future when the time comes where the management level has gone down a level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is why I feel like it's the wrong time to go for Brendan Rodgers.

Why go for Rodgers when your competing with the best managers in the world with Pep, Tuchel, Klopp & Conte as your direct competition?

Rodgers is just going to be under immense pressure and get sacked eventually.

Managers like Klopp and Pep have talked about them leaving their clubs soon for a break/new job. Tuchel & Conte are traditionally short term managers.

I'd rather have the ability to go for Brendan Rodgers during that time when the leagues level of management has gone down a level (like how La Liga's management is average right now). Then Brendan Rodgers can come here and actually try to win something - after all when he came second with Liverpool, that wasn't with all of Pep, Tuchel, Conte and Klopp as his competitors was it?

Getting him now, making him compete with the world's best, only for the people who wanted him here to get fustrsted enough to sack him - will just leave us with one less good homegrown manager we can get in the future when the time comes where the management level has gone down a level.
Him, Moyes, Pellegrini and Mou were the four at those clubs with Wenger at Arsenal rounding off the top four. So yeah, rivals weren't as fierce.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's been rumours and stories for a while, saying that City want him to replace Pep when he leaves. What would be typical for the times it's that you all slate the possibility of us getting him, only to watch him go to City and be like 'Actually, he's quite good'.
I can't even begin to say how thrilled I'd be if City downgraded from Pep Guardiola to Brendan Rodgers. "Quite good" isn't good enough.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I can't even begin to say how thrilled I'd be if City downgraded from Pep Guardiola to Brendan Rodgers. "Quite good" isn't good enough.
He's obviously not as good as Pep (nobody is, if you're all waiting for that then you'll be waiting a long, long time) but I reckon he'd keep them winning league titles. 'Quite good' is a figure of speech, meaning in this case 'actually he's a very good manager and we missed out'. I've seen enough to believe that if he had a team of ours or Citys quality then he would be successful.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rodgers is good manager, people complain that he is underrated because of his liverpool past but likewise he also get free pass for not being associated with ManUtd. I checked his record in Europe, he never won a KO tie. It's not like he managed some small team for poor league. He didn't win with Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester.

He has done well in domestic competitions (Exceptionally well at Celtic) but his European record is very poor.

Anyways, saying all that I believe he has capabilities to step up to next level. He wouldn't be my first choice for sure but wouldn't mind if we sign him.

whosenext

We do need a hard nosed disciplinarian who is tactically astute - Rodgers fits that bill, one thing for sure is he will command the respect of the players as soon as he enters the dressing room.

Leicester Fox

Supports
Leicester
Is the Rodgers/Leicester struggles normal this year or overhyped?

Why is it happening in your eyes? Did it happen last year?

The way I see it, It’s alright playing out from the back, but you have to have quick passing and movement , and we hardly do that

We have been very pedestrian in our play, and Rodgers keeps moaning that he’s telling the players they need to move the ball quicker.

Something isn’t right, When Martin O’Neill was manager he would be shouting and encouringing the players constantly, the only motivating Rodgers does is writes stuff down on a notepad.

Ekeke

Yes. I think he's one of many managers who would do better than Ole. Not sure he's the endgame manager thats going to win us another champions league, but I think we'll be a better team, better to watch and make more progress towards being genuine title contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.