• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

He's also massively improved since his Liverpool days. With Conte we'd likely only get him for a couple of years where as Brendon is much younger and would likely build a dynasty if everything aligned.
IF. That's a big "IF". I like Rodgers, but he doesn't have nearly the pedigree of Conte, Furthermore, what makes you think Conte wouldn't stay here for as long as he wanted to stay, so long as he delivers results? Why are some portion of the fanbase so deluded as to think that every manager has to basically agree to stay here and build a dynasty ala SAF? Managers should stay or go depending on the results and that's it. Any romantic feelings about another SAF and what not is utter nonsense.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
“The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

“I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”
He looked a right poser cnut in that documentary for sure, but I don't think that building aircraft quote is far off from reality. Managers have to win football games and not get sacked while building up a squad.

soapythecat

Along with Poch, Southgate and Conte, it’s a no from me. Miles ahead of Ole in terms of managerial ability but I don’t think he’s the right choice given who else is out there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don’t get the “serial loser” tag...the vast majority of managers are serial losers...if you’re referring to trophies.

He was too good for Swansea...but what is he supposed to ‘win’ there that would change your opinion?

He took over a disjointed Liverpool side who were nowhere near consistent enough to challenge- he got them to within a hair of winning with limited investment. Because he didn’t win a league or CL...does that make him a serial loser?

Celtic doesn’t count.

Leicester - well even the most deluded Leicester fan would have to admit he has done a wonderful job considering he has had to sell key players has had limited investment etc. They are never a walk over and are a real threat to good opposition on their day. The FA Cup was a great achievement.

So if he can get results with limited investment, recruits well and most importantly- we know he is tactically astute who favours “technicians”... I’d say players like Greenwood, Sancho, DVB, Amad, Bruno and Pogba might actually flourish.

I’d take him in a heart beat- beggars can’t be choosers and all that
Two points:

1) Other managers took over Liverpool during bad periods and managed to win things. Aside from Klopp who actually turned it around there, the likes of Benitez and Houllier came away with trophies as well from less than stellar sides. Whereas Rodgers' most noteable achievement from the three and a bit years he was there was being the guy in charge of arguably the most spectacular title run-in implosion in PL history.

2) Actually quite a lot of Leicester fans criticise Rodgers. As one Leicester fan alluded to on the previous page, his tactics were criticised in both their top four challenge collapses. And again this season he has recieved criticism for refusing to start Inheacho (who was excellent for them last season) even as they were playing poorly. And as both that Leicester fan and the one above pointed out, he inherited the very good squad he is working with. This wasn't some rebuild on his part.

He's done okay at Leicester but failing at Liverpool, doing well at a club even you say doesn't count and then doing okay at Leicester shouldn't be enough to make someone Manchester United manager.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why would managing Celtic not count?

yamo123x

Not first choice but yes.

Ex Liverpool Manager puts me off a little but his teams play good football and he comes across a good guy

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Agree , he is an upgrade but I am split on him. If Conte isn't available and Ten Hag can't come now, I'm happy to take him. Certainly above the likes of Potter, Poch etc.

He plays possession football and always dominate games. Can play all kind of formations including Diamond , 433, 352, promotes young players too.

Can see why our club is interested but again only if Conte isn't available.

gazbradley

I’m not fully convinced by Rodgers, he seems very much in the Moyes bracket of talent if that makes sense. He’s done well with Leicester but I feel he’s achieved about what you’d expect with the squad they have, there’s some really talented players in that squad and they just lack abit of depth. They’ve probably got the 5th best squad in the league and that’s where he’s finishing, his FA cup win is definitely a positive for him though and shows he’s capable of winning trophies but his European record definitely goes against him. There are definitely worse appointments but it just feels to me like it wouldn’t work and as others have said his Liverpool links should rule him out anyway, Liverpool improved immensely from Rodgers to Klopp so why would we expect Rodgers to be able to compete with Klopp now just seems odd logic

DULLAGHAN

He's tactically competent and plays good football. There's no doubt that's an improvement on Ole.

He's not the best in the world, but then our board and owners don't want the best in the world. The best in the world will bring expectations that our club has no intention of honouring. Until the shower of useless bankers and glazers are out of the club Brendan is about the best we can hope for.

If we're lucky Brendan might just get it right, at least we'll get to watch great football otherwise. His press conferences are a bit odd at times, but then at least it'll be more interesting than the recurring script that Ole reads from week after week.

It's not a firm yes on Brendan, but it's better than what we have.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’ll be Antonio Conte anyway, thankfully.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Have said for a while that Rodgers would be a good fit for united. I think he has improved as a coach since his liverpool days and let's not forget he was a slippy G away from winning the title with them. He promotes youth, signs good players and plays attacking football. I'd happily have him at Utd.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m not fully convinced by Rodgers, he seems very much in the Moyes bracket of talent if that makes sense. He’s done well with Leicester but I feel he’s achieved about what you’d expect with the squad they have, there’s some really talented players in that squad and they just lack abit of depth. They’ve probably got the 5th best squad in the league and that’s where he’s finishing, his FA cup win is definitely a positive for him though and shows he’s capable of winning trophies but his European record definitely goes against him. There are definitely worse appointments but it just feels to me like it wouldn’t work and as others have said his Liverpool links should rule him out anyway, Liverpool improved immensely from Rodgers to Klopp so why would we expect Rodgers to be able to compete with Klopp now just seems odd logic
He's certainly closer to Moyes' level than he is to Pep, Klopp or Tuchel's.

I don't necessarily think we need to hire someone who has already proven he's an elite manager but that doesn't mean we should hire someone who is already quite some way to proving he isn't one.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Would take him over Zidane or Poch. Maybe Conte.

After ten Hag for me.

Yakuza_devils

Interim, Yes. Permanent, Big No.
We have had enough of the likes of Moyes and Ole.

We need to go for the Top Manager. The best 2 are in City and Liverpool. We need to go for the 3rd best which is Conte. I know the negative football and all that but he is the best candidate now. We can give Ole 3 years and there is no reason not to try Conte.

Mainoldo

Yes but not right now. We aren’t dumb, go get Conte. The spin will be he’s coming in the summer.

Utd7

No. He's not good enough. If the club are legitimately favoring Rodgers, it will further speak volumes of the board's incompetence.

A legitimate and proven world class manager is currently unemployed and available. Get him.

ken11

I feel like if it worked out, he'd be a better long-term option than say, Conte. He's won trophies before and his teams play good football.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Interim, Yes. Permanent, Big No.
We have had enough of the likes of Moyes and Ole.

We need to go for the Top Manager. The best 2 are in City and Liverpool. We need to go for the 3rd best which is Conte. I know the negative football and all that but he is the best candidate now. We can give Ole 3 years and there is no reason not to try Conte.
Rodgers is a much better manager than Ole or Moyes

Abraxas

Brendan Rodgers is an appoint on a 2 year contract type option, if all other more desirable options are unavailable for whatever reason.

He's a very good manager, there's no two ways about that. He was unlucky at Liverpool not to win the title, he's done well everywhere he's been.

But he's not shown he's top drawer. Ultimately he hasn't quite got it done at Liverpool no matter what the excuses are and that's the sort of level he's going to be judged at. Not plucky underdog management at Swansea or Leicester (which again has shown good management skill)

While there are managers with better credentials in terms of major honours or potentially top class with no evidence that shows otherwise, we should be looking at them. Brendan is a fall back.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He looked a right poser cnut in that documentary for sure, but I don't think that building aircraft quote is far off from reality. Managers have to win football games and not get sacked while building up a squad.
The issue is he is a complete and total gowl though

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
IF. That's a big "IF". I like Rodgers, but he doesn't have nearly the pedigree of Conte, Furthermore, what makes you think Conte wouldn't stay here for as long as he wanted to stay, so long as he delivers results? Why are some portion of the fanbase so deluded as to think that every manager has to basically agree to stay here and build a dynasty ala SAF? Managers should stay or go depending on the results and that's it. Any romantic feelings about another SAF and what not is utter nonsense.
The dynasty romanticism has to stop
The key is getting the best manager we can

Van Gaal with this group of players could have been interesting. But he and Jose were well past their peak. The next guy has to be either at his peak or close to it.

Stacks

Two points:

1) Other managers took over Liverpool during bad periods and managed to win things. Aside from Klopp who actually turned it around there, the likes of Benitez and Houllier came away with trophies as well from less than stellar sides. Whereas Rodgers' most noteable achievement from the three and a bit years he was there was being the guy in charge of arguably the most spectacular title run-in implosion in PL history.

2) Actually quite a lot of Leicester fans criticise Rodgers. As one Leicester fan alluded to on the previous page, his tactics were criticised in both their top four challenge collapses. And again this season he has recieved criticism for refusing to start Inheacho (who was excellent for them last season) even as they were playing poorly. And as both that Leicester fan and the one above pointed out, he inherited the very good squad he is working with. This wasn't some rebuild on his part.

He's done okay at Leicester but failing at Liverpool, doing well at a club even you say doesn't count and then doing okay at Leicester shouldn't be enough to make someone Manchester United manager.
wasn't it injuries that imploded their CL run in?

OleGunnar20

I'd personally prefer Potter for a few reasons, though he's no doubt a big improvement on Ole at the mo.

The Oracle

Have said for a while that Rodgers would be a good fit for united. I think he has improved as a coach since his liverpool days and let's not forget he was a slippy G away from winning the title with them. He promotes youth, signs good players and plays attacking football. I'd happily have him at Utd.
Interestingly enough, Mo Salah was also on the pitch at that moment as well - in a Chelsea shirt.

Pavl3n

I'll just reply to thread question, because following that question it doesn't matter what the OP is.

NO! I'd rather keep Ole than get Rodgers. He'll fail miserably. He can't cope with the pressure. He showed it when he let the title slip when Stevie G slipped, he showed it when pressure built on Leicester as soon as they climbed to 2nd (a couple of seasons ago).

Dante

Average bang
His Liverpool side was good. They played good football to boot.
Only on the attacking half of the pitch where United are already decent.

In the defensive half, where United actually need some work, he was a bit crap. 50 goals conceded in 38 games. That's not going to wash in most seasons.

lilcurt

Rodgers will suit our players style of football much better than Conte.
Rodgers won't compete with Klopp, Pep or Tuchel for the big trophies.

Our squad has plenty for Conte to work with, it's just a few of the PR darlings don't fit into his style.

I want the very best for United, not just what fits a failing culture.

Also, we don't have a style of football. Just names on a teamsheet.

Everyoneout

Definitely not. Anyone who has managed Liverpool should never be considered - ever. He's a decent manager who would probably keep us in the top 4 year after year along with an FA cup win or two. This may be ok with the Glazers but we should be aiming far higher.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I would never want a manager who was ever even vaguely associated with those Scouse bastards.

Unless they played for them, like Matt Busby for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.