• No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Given Leicester's family vibes, wouldn't be surprised if they let him go for a small fee.
Between £20,000,000 - £25,000,000 apparently.

We paid £9,000,000 to get him from Celtic.

Idxomer

Leicester and United are the two teams with the most goals conceded in the top half of the table this season. Last season Leicester were 2nd worst after Leeds, Liverpool didn't have a good defensive record under him either.

Appointing him doesn't seem like a good idea for our leaky defence.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My main issue with Rodgers is that he has already spent six years at top end PL clubs in Liverpool/Leicester combined and the sum total he has from that time is one FA Cup win and a few spectacularly botched league & top four runs.

It's not even like Leicester are playing well this year either. They've been playing poorly and dragged along by Vardy until they bumped into us.

At least with someone like Potter you can say he hasn't been given the same opportunity. Rodgers has had that opportunity and he hasn't done a whole lot with it.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester and United are the two teams with the most goals conceded in the top half of the table this season. Last season Leicester were 2nd worst after Leeds, Liverpool didn't have a good defensive record under him either.

We can’t defend from set pieces,
It’s embarrassing really.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can’t work out quite why Solskjær hasn’t been trying to do that already, there's been plenty of opportunity to try and integrate them since January, but we've just offered a few sparse minutes here and there.

Then again, I also find it difficult to comprehend how badly we neeed a bit of culture in midfield, then sent off all 3 of our promising 20 year old CMs on loan without giving any of them an opportunity to stake a claim in the team.
Some say there's been a bit of molly coddling going on hence the pathway for the youngsters has been blocked and we've ended up with a bloated squad.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The more I see us linked with Rodgers and Pochs the more I believe that the club's plan is for Ole to stay

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Between £20,000,000 - £25,000,000 apparently.

We paid £9,000,000 to get him from Celtic.
Yep, only way I see him going is when his current contract ends.

RkkMan

This is bullshit briefing most likely anyway.

One or two senior staff might like him but there are still significant obstacles.

1) Joel Glazer can't understand his accent
2) Leicester City would charge the club through the nose to poach him
3) Manchester United are incompetent
4) the Liverpool connection
Not true
He has a release clause of €16m

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some say there's been a bit of molly coddling going on hence the pathway for the youngsters has been blocked and we've ended up with a bloated squad.
Is that to do with some of the older players overstaying their welcome, would you say?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
better than Ole but is still flawed, not same level as Klopp, Pep etc... cut and ran from Scotland when Gerrard started breathing down his neck, for me big fat NO for no other reason than I cannot stand the big nosed twot
He really didn't mate. I'm a Rangers fan, and even when he left Celtic were still much better than Rangers (8 points ahead in the league when he left) and still won 2 league titles after he departed, under Lennon who is a much worse manager. Rodgers built a very good Celtic team, and while Gerrard has done well he certainly didn't run Rodgers out of Scotland.
The Leicester job was massively appealing for him at the time and while he missed out on top 4 twice he has still done an excellent job. Can understand people saying they don't like his personality and so on but he is an excellent coach and I wouldn't be as adverse to this appointment as others.

Deery

Dreary

I agree with this, Rodgers teams have a predictability to fall apart in defence at times the exact opposite of what is needed at United.

The White Pele

I remember Rodgers previously saying he wouldn’t manage United because of his Liverpool connection which I have always taken with a pinch of salt.

I think he’s a good coach and I think he would represent an evolution of what Ole has done but without the calamities. From that point of view he could be an attractive option as the club won’t want someone who wants to come in, rip everything up and start again.

However, ultimately I don’t think many of us hold much hope that he’s the man to come in and topple Klopp or Guardiola.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Rodgers would be my first British choice. He has experience at huge clubs in Celtic and Liverpool. He gets the most out of his players and he is a COACH. Solid choice. He might not win alot but Utd would improve under him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not my first choice but he's leagues ahead of our current coach.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
My main issue with Rodgers is that he has already spent six years at top end PL clubs in Liverpool/Leicester combined and the sum total he has from that time is one FA Cup win and a few spectacularly botched league & top four runs.

It's not even like Leicester are playing well this year either. They've been playing poorly and dragged along by Vardy until they bumped into us.

At least with someone like Potter you can say he hasn't been given the same opportunity. Rodgers has had that opportunity and he hasn't done a whole lot with it.
We’ve had so many injuries it’s been unreal. We don’t have the depth that other clubs do, in terms of having a 2nd team that would roll over the bottom half Premier League teams. We didn’t have this injuries pre Rodgers and apparently he’s changed a lot in the back room situation

I think he was tactically naive during both collapses at the end of last two seasons and the start of this season though. He’s adopted a style of football that works on ball retention but without certain players, we struggle. Iheanacho is key to how we play and he’d basically dropped him after he’d dragged us through last season (out scoring Vardy).

Stating that, bar the odd result, we never look like we’re going to get destroyed and we can all see the potential to improve and compete with the bigger reputation clubs.

If you look at our squad, we have players like Tielemans, Evans, Kasper, Ricardo, Vardy, Castagne, N’Didi, Maddison etc, that would get into most Premier League squads. 95% of those were signed before his watch, so it’s hard to see how he’ll do building a team. The building and growth of Leicester, has largely been though the excellent scouting to sales we’ve achieved since we returned to the Premier League. The sales of Mahrez, Drinkwater, Kante, Maguire, Chilwell etc have all allowed us to grow in stature and we’ve managed to replace these with cheaper alternatives.

He’s definitely done a great job with us though, considering our limited resources compared to others.

red4ever 79

I would take him. Upgrade on Ole. Set's his teams up well. Plays good football. Seems to have some tactical acumen. Used to the Premier league. Yes he is a bit weird and the Liverpool connection. However, massive upgrade on where we are now.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Not true
He has a release clause of €16m
This isn’t correct, after we got stung losing Kante for such a minimal amount, we’ve never inserted another buy out clause into any contract.

JosDeVos

Supports
Neutral.
I rate him as a manager and I certainly wouldn't bet against him one day becoming a valid candidate for the position.
As it stands though, for a team of United's stature, I don't think he is quite up there yet in the top tier of managers which United should be looking at.

gajender

Pretty steep for the bean counters. I can imagine Joel's response on the phone: "How f*cking much? You have got to be kidding me."
This nonsense needs to stops it's the quite opposite of how we have operated under Glazers since Sir Alex retired , for the owners who seem to have reputation of being stingy and miserly they tend to waste lot of money and doesn't seem to actually value their money much when it comes to United . They are just incompetent that's the most obvious explanation for our decline under them not much else.

Utd_King

It's been several years since I've posted, my account was probably deleted as a result. I feel the urge to offload some frustration as I'm an avid match goer but I refuse to watch this rubbish and have the club's name being tarnished globally. I am so thankful to L'pool for taking mercy on us, so thankful to them. Brendon Rodgers is a better manager than Ole, that's a fact. The problem I have is, I can foresee a situation turning sour like Ole within a few years, he will be used as a puppet for the board. I tell you now, we have one of the best squads in the league, If not the best. Look at Chelsea under Lampard, with a change in management and virtually the same team, look at the difference. The only way I see us competing for the league again is if we get Conte, he will make our defence robust! solid defences win titles. There is no such thing as a project and building a blueprint, we are here, it has to happen now, no excuses, otherwise, we will be Liverpool of the past and I hate to say it but it will be another 10 years before we win a title.

Hawks2008

Wouldnt pay a cent to get Rogers when someone of Conte's calibre is available for free.

Drizzle

The main reasons people give for going for him seem to amount to 'he's a lot better than Ole', which, while true, is not a high bar let's face it.

He's obviously a good manager and a good coach but I don't think he's the man for us. Conte is demonstrably better in almost every aspect. I also don't think Rodgers' Leicester play particularly scintillating football, although the squad limitation must be taken into account.

But I can see he wouldn't be as threatening to the cowards on the board, nor would he rock the boat if he doesn't get his signings. Him and Poch are exactly the fit for this car crash of a club - good but not elite.

sparx99

Pretty steep for the bean counters. I can imagine Joel's response on the phone: "How f*cking much? You have got to be kidding me."
Couple with 3 years of Solsjkaers deal to pay off we’d be staring down the barrel of £30m.

redshaw

I would've expected his Celtic sides to have performed better against teams you've never heard of. Would be interesting to see a list of the losses, I can barely recall a win over those years, just comical loss and loss.

The top 4 collapses are another worry.

Ole, Rodgers and even Conte have found Europe to be tricky.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think he’d be more of a fit than Conte. Conte is a better manager but Rodgers would likely fit the squad we have better.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
So, with Solskjaer’s reign now seemingly deep into the ‘unsalvageable’ stage, and many managers around Europe touted as possibilities to take over, what does the Caf think about the prospect of Brendan Rodgers becoming the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

I freely admit that I’m a huge fan of his and really warmed to him with how he has repaired his reputation in the game and, more importantly, enhanced his CV since his sacking by Liverpool back in 2015. His Swansea and Liverpool teams played beautiful, if naive, football (I genuinely believe peak Rodgers’ Liverpool were prettier on the eye than peak Klopp’s Liverpool, playing scintillating football seemingly every week, no matter the opposition) and his body of work at Celtic looks more impressive by the day considering the state of the Glasgow club since his departure.

His feats at Leicester need no introduction to followers of the Premier League, with superb league finishes considering their budget constraints compared to those teams around them, and he’s added silverware to boot, with terrific wins at Wembley against Tuchel’s Chelsea and Guardiola’s City in the past six months. Regular wins against the traditional ‘top 6’ in the past 2.5 seasons, all the while playing brilliantly-coached, progressive football, Rodgers has really put his name forward as a genuine consideration for any of the Premier League’s elite clubs should they need a new manager any time soon.

There are question marks, of course: his Liverpool connections; his so-so record in Europe; his personality not being to everyone’s liking (personal opinion and not football-related, that, for me); his ability to manage a dressing-room full of superstars.

So, do you think he’d be able to a) bring his style of high-pressing, high-intensity football to this United squad, and b) be successful doing it?

P.S. Can any of the mods at a poll to the thread title? Ta.
I actually would, built a side at Liverpool that came 2nd to us and was the foundations of the success that followed, he did well at Celtic (I know their league isn't great but still better than Norwegian League) and built a very good side again at Leicester who play nice football and won an FA Cup too. I think he could suit us very well and those that say he missed out on top 4, he did so to teams that massively outspent him but he got close.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He'd be a huge upgrade. And i love the style of football his teams play. He also seems to have an eye for talent.

But it would be tough with the Liverpool links.

Wish we'd just get Ten Hag.

Status
Not open for further replies.