Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. Liverpool obviously upgraded on him when they brought Klopp in. Leicester have been okay but hardly tearing up trees. And his general David Brentishness is off-putting.

If we were recruiting from within the league, I'd sooner go for Potter I think. Rodgers would be underwhelming.

justboy68

Retain? This myth about Solskjaer promoting youth winds me up. It's literally a complete lie.

Anyway as far as Rodgers goes he wouldn't be a top choice. I do rate him as a pretty good manager and I don't care much about him managing the scousers but we need to be aiming to do even better. Liverpool came close to the title with Rodgers but eventually got there with Klopp. It's a tall order but we need someone who could potentially be on the level of the latter. Rodgers is pretty much a known quantity, good but not great.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Liverpool sacked him because he’d taken them as far as he could. We shouldn’t be taking him for that reason.
Dortmund and PSG sacked Tuchel, he learnt and improved and he's elite now, no reason it can't happen with Rodgers. Think you lot aren't giving him enough props for making Leicester a permanent top 6 team. I prefer Conte but wont be mad at Rodgers.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I wouldn't be particularly happy, but I can be objective enough to see he does cover a few key points for a United manager. I just don't think he's got the pedigree to take us to the next level, him and Poch are similar in that regard for me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To me he's a bit of an underwhelming replacement. Another 2/3 years of someone who I don't personally think has it in them to compete at the top of the PL and has a very lacklustre record in Europe, only this time he's someone I find irritating on a personal level. I'm not really that bothered about the former Liverpool manager thing cause I'd obviously take Klopp in a heartbeat. Yeah he's better than Solskjaer and even though he's evidently grown as a manager, the same weaknesses are still there that have been present since he left Liverpool. He'd also cost £18m to buy out of his contract according to the resident Leicester fans which, after sacking Solskjaer, probably makes this a £30m manager search. I accept he had injuries but dropping out of the top 4 twice in consecutive seasons in a weak top 4 battle (against our own manager, no less) is something we should very much be holding against him.

I also don't know if I've been watching someone else's reign at United, but this culture of promoting youth has been nonexistant under Solskjaer so I don't know why it's apparently weighing so heavily on our next managerial appointment. In 3 years only 1 player has made in into the first team, that's actually really poor when you consider what it's been like historically. No one else, aside from Brandon Williams, has even been given a whiff of a chance.
Tbh with you mate, I think now is a good time to bring in a Manager to guide the youngsters like Amad, Hannibal, Elanga, Pellistri etc.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. He’s a brilliant coach and if you can’t see that it’s because you don’t want to.

He does seem like a massive knob though but he’s undeniably good at this football coaching malarkey.

Pronewbie

Peep
Underrated by his own countrymen. Always liked him since his days at Swansea and I'm sure his experiences at Liverpool and Leicester have taught him a lot. Could be the right time to make the step up. If not the PL then a foreign club that's a regular in the Champions League or regular contender for domestic titles would do him a world of good.

Wilt

A poll would be interesting ….my guess 90% against

Gavinb33

People say bottled fourth is one way of framing it, the other way is he had a small squad over performing majority of the season ahead of teams with vastly superior budgets and teams.

Also took same team to FA cup final and won and his teams are very well coached.

Leicster also regularly sell players to the teams around them Maguire, Chilwell and Mahrez in recent times

The only mark for me would be he is a former Liverpool manager that's it, he'd actually be my second pick behind Ten Hag

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Could see him being massively out of his depth. Would rather we look elsewhere.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Who's going to start the Rodgers sack watch thread? Might as well get the ball rolling early. #RodgersOut

Spoony

The People's President
Yes. He’s a brilliant coach and if you can’t see that it’s because you don’t want to.

He does seem like a massive knob though but he’s undeniably good at this football coaching malarkey.

He's learnt to keep his mouth shut. He just doesn't have a sexy name, that's his problem.

Paxi

Let’s be fair, if not for Gerrard there would have been a title in the bag for Liverpool before Klopp played and they’ve arguably played as good as anyone in that season. How they blew away teams was very impressive.

Reynoldo

Meh. Liverpool obviously upgraded on him when they brought Klopp in. Leicester have been okay but hardly tearing up trees. And his general David Brentishness is off-putting.

If we were recruiting from within the league, I'd sooner go for Potter I think. Rodgers would be underwhelming.
I just can't get passed that myself.

James35

Absolutely, he is a better manager than Ole. Wouldn't be my first choice though.

Cloud7

He coaches his teams to play a good quality of football. He approaches matches in a positive way. I'll take him on the basis of that. Is he good enough to lead us to trophies? Who knows? We don't know if Ten Haag would be either, and he's my first choice. However my primary desire out of our next manager is that I can enjoy watching the team play again. That's as good a foundation to build from as any. Maybe with our squad and the quality of players we can bring in going forward, Rodgers can make that final step into actually winning big things.

And finally, I could not care less about the fact that he used to manage Liverpool. That's a really stupid reason to not hire someone.

iHicksy

I don't really get this "he's an ex liverpool manager" crap.

• It's not like he's loved by Liverpool fans or some kind of legend there
  • It's not like we're battling Liverpool for the title. They are so far ahead of us it's not even funny
  • If Klopp quit today and we hired him in 3 years time most of you would wet yourselves.
The fact is most people don't like him because of the way he looks, they dislike his smarmy appearance rather than his connections but use that as a reason we shouldn't hire him. He's a very very good manager who would have us playing some very nice football. He would certainly be mounting a title challenge next year if we got him in.

KiD MoYeS

This is bullshit briefing most likely anyway.

One or two senior staff might like him but there are still significant obstacles.

1) Joel Glazer can't understand his accent
2) Leicester City would charge the club through the nose to poach him
3) Manchester United are incompetent
4) the Liverpool connection

Paxi

He's learnt to keep his mouth shut. He just have sexy name, that's his problem.
He does give off David Brent vibes as @sullydnl pointed out but I really don’t care at this point. If he has us playing and challenging then he can carry on being a massive cringe monster.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Poll please.

I remember 80 % was in favour of Mourinho, so I would not be surprised if quite a few want Rodgers too.

Zed 101

better than Ole but is still flawed, not same level as Klopp, Pep etc... cut and ran from Scotland when Gerrard started breathing down his neck, for me big fat NO for no other reason than I cannot stand the big nosed twot

Paxi

Rather Conte over him.
Aye, me too, but if it’s Rodgers, I’ll be quite confident in us challenging again. He took Liverpool literally within one massive feck up and I’m sure he could take us too.

ash_86

Don't see it with Rodgers. Leicester has been poor off late and not playing well. He would be behind Conte and Ten Hag for me.

EtH

No. Just no. And isn’t Ogden out in the cold on United news these days ?

Spoony

The People's President
He does give off David Brent vibes as @sullydnl pointed out but I really don’t care at this point. If he has us playing and challenging then he can carry on being a massive cringe monster.

I think his Brent vibes were mainly at Liverpool. He can be a right tool but he's had experience at big clubs and he's done well at Leicester. He's a good manager who's a bit of meme. I'd have him third on my list.

Eddy_JukeZ

Aye, me too, but if it’s Rodgers, I’ll be quite confident in us challenging again. He took Liverpool literally within one massive feck up and I’m sure he could take us too.
I'm not as confident, but he's definitely an upgrade on Ole.

Either way, I don't really care what the manager's past is like some do with Rodgers. I just hope we finally get someone who can get us competing again. If that's Rodgers, I'll be happy.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
IMO Rogers is an excellent manager and he’d do well at any club.
Will you get him? I’ve not a clue, but if you do then everything you win under him will have the added bonus of boiling piss on Merseyside and that’s certainly a consideration.

KiD MoYeS

I think senior figures are leaking these teasers to gauge public reaction. Conte earlier in the week, Rodgers later in the week. Expect Ten Hag leaks to surface after the weekend. The club don't know what they're doing.

Paxi

I think his Brent vibes were mainly at Liverpool. He can be a right tool but he's had experience at be big clubs and he's done well at Leicester. He's a good manager who's a bit of meme. I'd have him third on my list.
I have him second now. I’d take Conte, Rodgers and then Ten Hag. Rodgers is actually the younger manager despite having vastly more experience than Ten Hag. He’d be the safer bet for me personally.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Tbh with you mate, I think now is a good time to bring in a Manager to guide the youngsters like Amad, Hannibal, Elanga, Pellistri etc.
I can’t work out quite why Solskjær hasn’t been trying to do that already, there's been plenty of opportunity to try and integrate them since January, but we've just offered a few sparse minutes here and there.

Then again, I also find it difficult to comprehend how badly we neeed a bit of culture in midfield, then sent off all 3 of our promising 20 year old CMs on loan without giving any of them an opportunity to stake a claim in the team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A decent manager who has had Leicester outperforming a few clubs with higher budgets.

Just screams danger to me though.
Moyes vibes, David Brent vibes.
Collapse late season repeatedly.

Employing a manager Liverpool sacked would not be fun.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't really get this "he's an ex liverpool manager" crap.

• It's not like he's loved by Liverpool fans or some kind of legend there
  • It's not like we're battling Liverpool for the title. They are so far ahead of us it's not even funny
  • If Klopp quit today and we hired him in 3 years time most of you would wet yourselves.
The fact is most people don't like him because of the way he looks, they dislike his smarmy appearance rather than his connections but use that as a reason we shouldn't hire him. He's a very very good manager who would have us playing some very nice football. He would certainly be mounting a title challenge next year if we got him in.
Klopp won't get sacked by Liverpool though. Rodgers was sacked by Liverpool.

Huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.