Would you throw away the Bayern match?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is this what we have come to !
Shocking thread.
This is a thread which is on repeat for years now.
"Play kids in EL"
"Ditch LC"
"Ditch FA cup"

You would think that we are winning trophy after trophy every year so we can choose what to win.

Oldyella

Spend all season trying to get into the CL. Decide to throw away games because it's difficult.

Nah.

croadyman

Nope I wouldn't try not to win. Truthfully, the Champions League is just not our level, heck does anyone think we'd even win the Europa. I don't, but that is at least a competition we can somewhat realistically be competitive in and progress to the latter stages in, with a bit of luck.

The attitude of treating the Europa League like we're above it, particularly after so many years of us proving that we aren't cut out to compete in the Champions League. Is just so weird to me at this point. Of course I want United to have another shot at winning a trophy, they better bust their asses against Bayern to win.
I would feel much more hopeful IF Bayern had beaten Copenhagen and left them with us on 4 pts. Mind you after our shambles they don't owe us anything. Just would have meant we could have afforded Copenhagen to beat Galatasaray

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Pathetic, I was laughed at on here a few months ago for saying I’d have rathered not qualified for the CL (because at the absolute best we’d have made the 1/4s) than get thumped by them 7-0

Reason being that 7-0 will haunt us for years. Finishing 3rd is already forgotten about,

And now the same types are out saying this, I’d rather finish 10th and win the Europa than get top 4 and I’d rather it even if it didn’t get CL football, I’ll never understand people who think coming 4th to qualify for a tournament that we’d just be making up the numbers in is better than winning a trophy. Again, winning a trophy will always be remembered, top 4 will quickly be forgotten,

Europa league is our level and we deserve this after spending years praising the likes of Rashford, Shaw, Bruno etc etc who clearly aren’t good enough and never will be

to be honest it’s the likes of people who suggest things like throwing a game who are the ones who’ve never kicked a ball on a actual pitch in their lives, try win, try finish 3rd and get into the Europa and then try win that, simple as

AndySmith1990

What would that be, 6 out of 10 seasons in the Europa league? We'll probably get humiliated by Liverpool at some point. It'll be another cup for us to get knocked out of.

But let's face it, if we have no European football we'll miss it come Thursday night. We'd be longing for anything, even the conference cup

Red_Aaron

Given we still have the chance to qualify we're duty bound to try.

I'd rather not the have the EL though, not for some snobby reason but purely because I think Ten Hag needs the extra training time to get his style actually imbedded. I like him a lot but I fear he may not last the summer if the football structure changes as expected. He has to get us firing, 1 game a week will help

I suspect we will win against a weakened bayern but we won't get the other result we need

ti vu

Well, much as I hate the Europa, more games might actually be a good thing as we look to implement ETHs style/system
I don't follow this logic. The thicker the schedule, the less time on training ground working on pattern of play, improving individual technical detail. The focus would be shifted toward recovery, and prepare game plan to contain and exploit opposition since we abandon the foundation of proactive football from last season.

More often than not, style of play improvement often happened after pre season, where managers and players can focus on putting ideas into practice without the burden of result.

We saw in last season how ETH pushed, it's unlikely he would only use EL as training ground and rotate. Doing the same this season potentially would run this squad into the ground with already injury crisis, fitness issue so far all season.

Lentwood

I don't follow this logic. The thicker the schedule, the less time on training ground working on pattern of play, improving individual technical detail. The focus would be shifted toward recovery, and prepare game plan to contain and exploit opposition since we abandon the foundation of proactive football from last season.

More often than not, style of play improvement often happened after pre season, where managers and players can focus on putting ideas into practice without the burden of result.

We saw in last season how ETH pushed, it's unlikely he would only use EL as training ground and rotate. Doing the same this season potentially would run this squad into the ground with already injury crisis, fitness issue so far all season.
Training ground is one thing but there's no substitute for actual matches.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
United still has a chance to stay in the CL. I get that some people don't like the EL, but as long as a win means ypu could stay in the CL, you should try.

It's truly baffling for me that someone could have a different opinion. So I would politely ask everyone who actively advocates for not trying to stay in the CL to actively advocate for not making it into the CL again. I rather like to see the competition fallen with some dross from somewhere Eastern Europe who try to win their games than with these.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You don't bring 76k people to OT, Bayern in town to play a bunch of kids and chuck the game. Especially if there is a small chance of going through.

If we go into Europa, we can talk kids, until then it's the managers duty to go for it.

Remember the geese

Nope. Beat Bayern (who are no great shakes at all) and hope the other game ends up in a draw. Worst case scenario, we end up in the Europa League but have a win against a big side that will give us confidence. Especially as our following game is at Anfield.

ti vu

Training ground is one thing but there's no substitute for actual matches.
League game is both the better practical application than these cup games for experiment given that you play different kind of opposition every week, where as with each KO round you play the same team twice and the same team in hope you progress to next round. As explained in my previous post, there is not even time to work on training ground during thick fixture where recovery and preparing for next opposition take up all the time, instead paying more time on improving your own pattern.

Edit: Currently prematch against Newcastle, there is discussion about our travel issue for Newcastle game due to flight cancellation due to weather reason... And we're playing CL. Can't see where Thursday-Sunday chore would be any better available training for us.

Last edited:

hobbers

Be insane to set out to win the game.

for what? Another europa league distraction and inevitable semi final failure

No one can seriously be talking about using the europa league to give game time or test out young players and new formations, right?

We’ve all seen how every manager from mourinho to ten hag took the competition no differently to the CL. No squad rotation, ruining our end of season run ins.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
united are so shit that if they tried to throw the match they’d end up winning it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

for what? Another europa league distraction and inevitable semi final failure?
For what? For being a football club and doing what you're supposed to do. You're Manchester United. You play to win. Be it the champions league, the league cup or a friendly against a youth team from East Timor. You play to win. And if you don't, you don't play.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

for what? Another europa league distraction and inevitable semi final failure
To stay in the CL. Lots of people claim that a "never say die" attitude should be part of the United DNA. You and other's treat the situation as if United is already out of the CL. That's ridiculous. People like you shouldn't be allowed to call themselves fans of Manchester United.

ForFuchsSake

Always try to win even if you’re shit at it. Never understood this mentality of ‘throwing matches’. It’s a pathetic mindset.

kps88

So we throw the game so we can focus on getting top four in the league so we can qualify for the CL league, the competition in which you want us to throw the game?

hobbers

To stay in the CL. Lots of people claim that a "never say die" attitude should be part of the United DNA. You and other's treat the situation as if United is already out of the CL. That's ridiculous. People like you shouldn't be allowed to call themselves fans of Manchester United.
Never say die and united DNA .. are we playing pointless platitude bingo again

JediSith

People really underestimating the probability of a drawn in the other game.. also we can beat Bayern.

Demon Barber

No. I never want us to lose any game, let alone throw one. We can beat Bayern, and we should

ti vu

People really underestimating the probability of a drawn in the other game.. also we can beat Bayern.
You're overestimating the probability of us beating Bayern, even if Bayern is not in top gear.

We should not throw the game, but it's not very assuring about us making the most ourselves.

NLunited

Why no we have to win every game, clear.

If Galataranafalasaray mess up, we should have tried to win otherwise we feel dumb as feck.

lex talionis

100%. Onana and others are likely to bottle it anyways.
Perhaps Onana will bottle it again, but the desire by some posters here to have us throw a match is unbelievable. This not the Manchester United way, to throw a match out of fear of having to compete in another competition should another result go our way. Utterly disgraceful mentality.

Red_Orchestra

No, its very unpredictable, we might smash them 7 - 0 and Copenhagen might tie with Galatasaray.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No way.
The high point of last season wasn't the league cup win over mostly average teams, or the home wins against the top 6, it was the two-leg win over a strong Barca team. The first dominant performance against a strong, big-name European team since (depending on what "strong" means) 2021 Milan or 2010 Milan or 2009 Inter.
Would kill to have another like it.

Giggsy13

Perhaps Onana will bottle it again, but the desire by some posters here to have us throw a match is unbelievable. This not the Manchester United way, to throw a match out of fear of having to compete in another competition should another result go our way. Utterly disgraceful mentality.
Oh I agree, given we still have a chance to progress to the round of 16. It’s just our form and luck in Europe has been terrible.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
If you'd really have the mentality to throw a game....why not throw the EL then in case you don't make the CL group stage instead of the CL to avoid playing the EL?

GMoore23

With ten Hag in charge, we're practically throwing the game anyway.

Marcus

We need to play in the Europa League. Only way to try and get into the Champions league. So, yes.