Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suv666

They loaned him out when relegated so he didn’t have to play in the championship, because he is too good for the league. It was probably a condition of him coming to Burnley in the first place.
He scored 2 goals in 20 matches for Burnley if anything Championship is more his level.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It could be, but that's pure speculation on your part, isn't it? Or was this mentioned somewhere?
I don’t speculate my friend. :angel:
This is from Lancashire local press in July. Not a great source but he is quoted directly.
Speaking last month, he said: "I won’t go into the Championship – not that I feel too good for it, absolutely not. I am just really ambitious and also for the squad of the national team. The trainer (Louis Van Gaal) wants us to play at a high level.There are some options for me and just a higher potential of a league than the Championship. I have to take the chances offered there. We will see what the future will bring.

Harold_Giles

I admire your optimism. Except he is Turkish Super Lig player, on loan from Championship's Burnley who only cost Burnley 20 mil euros, after the season you so admire in Bundesliga. There is a reason why nobody else was and is interested in him. He is clearly not a top player, no matter how you try to hype him up. Neither is he a top young prospect who could become a top player, like Gakpo or Felix. He is 30. He is Ighalo kind of desperate loan at best. He is scraps.
He should be able to fill a need for 6 months, and score a few goals while he's at it.

Can't really think of many better options, who'd be available on loan.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
He scored 2 goals in 20 matches for Burnley if anything Championship is more his level.
Again, context. How many starts? How many full 90’s? How many chances did he miss? He was signed when Dyche was in charge. That was a very particular and quite old English way of playing the game that I doubt he encountered in Germany or Holland.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He should be able to fill a need for 6 months, and score a few goals while he's at it.

Can't really think of many better options, who'd be available on loan.
I hope you are right.

Ironically, while January is usually dry, this year there actually were very good options that our manager wanted: Gakpo and Felix. Except the morons running our club bankrupted us, putting EtH in bad situation.

Football is weird when you only look at the worst season of a players career.
Not weird, ruthless. Any player is only as good as their last several games. Ronaldo used to be a GOAT but then he was shit, this season, and had to be benched. Former glory doesn't win games. We seem to have forgotten that, after Sir Alex and have become way to tolerant to mediocrity.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s going to be good. Absolute workhorse who will make space for our more skilful players. I actually think this is outside the box decent scouting. Just not muppetasitc enough and I understand the disappointment, I genuinely do but he’s going to be a handy player for a few months. I just hope we can find someone quite a bit more refined for our long term option and stop messing around with short term players. It’s driving me nuts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hope you are right.

Ironically, while January is usually dry, this year there actually were very good options that our manager wanted: Gakpo and Felix. Except the morons running our club bankrupted us, putting EtH in bad situation.
The club spent a fortune this summer to please ETH. Some of you are genuinely weird, it's as if your memories are limited to 48 hours.

RuudTom83

If he’s never been called a generation talent and doesn’t cost 100 million euros (pounds are shit) then I’m not interested. ;)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I admire your optimism. Except he is Turkish Super Lig player, on loan from Championship's Burnley who only cost Burnley 20 mil euros, after the season you so admire in Bundesliga. There is a reason why nobody else was and is interested in him. He is clearly not a top player, no matter how you try to hype him up. Neither is he a top young prospect who could become a top player, like Gakpo or Felix. He is 30. He is Ighalo kind of desperate loan at best. He is scraps.
I think you’ll be surprised

Drizzle

If you look at his heatmap from that season, he barely got into the penalty area. I'm not completely absolving him of blame, but it seems likely he was severely inhibited by being in a struggling defensive team.

Every other season he seems to be a reliable 1 in 2 kind of striker.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The club spent a fortune this summer to please ETH. Some of you are genuinely weird, it's as if your memories are limited to 48 hours.
Nope. They spent a fortune because they are incompetent. This is not how proper clubs are managed. Can't blame any of this mess on EtH. This club was run like crap way before Erik.

OverratedOpinion

Not weird, ruthless. Any player is only as good as their last several games. Ronaldo used to be a GOAT but then he was shit, this season, and had to be benched. Former glory doesn't win games. We seem to have forgotten that, after Sir Alex and have become way to tolerant to mediocrity.
Cool.

Why are you talking about last season then?

JPRouve

Scout
Nope. They spent a fortune because they are incompetent. This is not how proper clubs are managed. Can't blame any of this mess on EtH. This club was run like crap way before Erik.
No one is blaming ETH. ETH asked for these 5 players and he got them, it takes some work to turn that kind of expense at the request of your manager into pretending that he has been put in a bad spot. Or to not understand that Football clubs are not endless pits of cash.

r1z3mu

I like this addition. Cheap, no commitment, will score some goals.

OverratedOpinion

I like this addition. Cheap, no commitment, will score some goals.
Yeah I think this is about the right take. It isn't the type of signing you go crazy about and can't wait to see but he is a good striker when we need one desperately.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wonder how many people are aware that Mitrovic scored 3 goals in 27 PL appearances two seasons ago.

He's definitely not good enough for the Prem...

Real Name

You really are like a broken record.

Resonance

ETH’s recruitment has been spot on so far, let’s maybe have a bit of faith in our best manager since Sir Alex and not write Weghorst off before a ‘potential’ deal has even been completed.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sounds like this could take quite some time to be completed if it is dependant on Besiktas signing Aboubakar as his replacement.

Real Name

No one is blaming ETH. ETH asked for these 5 players and he got them, it takes some work to turn that kind of expense at the request of your manager into pretending that he has been put in a bad spot. Or to not understand that Football clubs are not endless pits of cash.
He's making up prices in his head and thus portraying we overspend this summer.

JPRouve

Scout
He's making up prices in his head and thus portraying we overspend this summer.
I don't know what he is doing but it's senseless. This year there is nothing that can be said about the club's investments, the manager got 4 starters that are all upgrades, it's predictable and understandable that we may not have much cash for large expenses this winter.

OverratedOpinion

I wonder how many people are aware that Mitrovic scored 3 goals in 27 PL appearances two seasons ago.

He's definitely not good enough for the Prem...
Good shout. He also had a better scoring record than both Vardy and Tevez in his first season in the premier league.

It is almost as if it's difficult for a striker to score goals in their first season in the premier League playing for a side in a relegation battle.

Maybe we should sign Michu, he did great.

fallengt

I always wanted United to Mandzukic. Love pressing, stay in the box, decent holding up play, is a fighter. Weghorst probably the next best thing

JPRouve

Scout
Good shout. He also had a better scoring record than both Vardy and Tevez in his first season in the premier league.

It is almost as if it's difficult for a striker to score goals in their first season in the premier League playing for a side in a relegation battle.

Maybe we should sign Michu, he did great.
It was Mitrovic's fourth PL season. :wenger:

Demaw

If he’s never been called a generation talent and doesn’t cost 100 million euros (pounds are shit) then I’m not interested. ;)
We spent 160 million on Sancho and Antony and to be honest, who would give us even half of that now. This guy has a skill we don't really have, cheap and 6 months.

RuudTom83

We spent 160 million on Sancho and Antony and to be honest, who would give us even half of that now. This guy has a skill we don't really have, cheap and 6 months.
I totally agree with the you…my post was just being facetious in response to the negativity in here.

Demaw

I totally agree with the you…my post was just being facetious in response to the negativity in here.
All good. :) He's a pressing monster, can head the ball and quite good at holding the ball up. Great option for sure. Look what ETH did with Haller.

Guapa

An option for when Martial gets injured/can't be arsed it's fine.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Good point.
Now apply that logic to him scoring 2 from the bench against the eventual World Champions..
Maybe we should get that Saudi Arabian guy as well who scored the winner against the eventual World Champions..

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I am not surprised at all if we get him despite that Besiktas/Burnley both must be ‘convinced’.

Waynne

Hard working pressing forward
Dangerous in the air
Decent with both feet

That's enough for me, especially the first part. Will offer a different dynamic than Rashford and Martial.

Sign him up. If he performs well I hope we can get him permanently in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.