g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurencio

Already posted I believe.
Oh, it's hard to keep track of these thread, they grow so quickly. Interesting though, seems like a very useful player to have if he can replicate that here. Looks like he could do very well indeed in Ten Hag's system.

Very relevant from our POV.

Antony's xG per 90 is the same here so far as it was at Ajax but his xA has fallen off a cliff (0.24/0.29 at Ajax to 0.06 here). And you can see why when you look at how many balls he's actually putting into the box. From averaging 1.04 crosses and 4.39 passes into the penalty area last season in the Dutch league to 0.00 crosses and 0.70 passes into the penalty area in the PL (according to Fbref).

To me that screams someone who no longer has that physical presence in the box to create for and is having to adjust to a team who lack a presence in the box.
Agree, it was very noticable during pre-season and before Rashford decided to become Kyllian Rashford.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
In Jose's second season he was originally behind Rashford in the pecking order on the left but he out performed him and won his place. We then stupidly signed Sanchez and replaced him.

The following season he reclaimed his place from Sanchez. He was one of the top performers during a period which kept Jose in the job for longer than he deserved.

Ole was then happy to sell Lukaku to use Martial as striker.

Last season you can argue that he downed tools due to competition with Ronaldo, but I think that's understandable when Ronaldo would always start regardless of form.

If you dislike Martial, fair enough. If you think he isn't good enough for us as starting striker, then I agree with you. However, this narrative of him being unable to accept competition is evidently false.
That’s not the recollection I have of things but hey-ho.

Levi1

So was Ighalo and Cavani and Ronaldo was a short term option too and before that Ibra as well. Its ridiculous that arguably the most influential area on the pitch is being treated like an afterthought for a few years now.
At least we could have gotten a young talent on loan who had a chance at making it

I hope he does well but this going for short term options really grinds my gears. No top club operates with such an absurd policy with strikers. Without a proper CF you're winning feckall. Rant over.
Part of the reason was that we didn't want to take opportunities away from a certain M.G.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Very relevant from our POV.

Antony's xG per 90 is the same here so far as it was at Ajax but his xA has fallen off a cliff (0.24/0.29 at Ajax to 0.06 here). And you can see why when you look at how many balls he's actually putting into the box. From averaging 1.04 crosses and 4.39 passes into the penalty area last season in the Dutch league to 0.00 crosses and 0.70 passes into the penalty area in the PL (according to Fbref).

To me that screams someone who no longer has that physical presence in the box to create for and is having to adjust to a team who lack a presence in the box.
There is a reason Antony was looking for Ronaldo besides being a fan boy. He looked for someone to cross the ball to for a header or a tap in. Nobody of your current squad can deliver that. I sometimes feel like Antony doesn't lack confidence but simply has too little options for a cross so decides to play it save.

NLunited

Ten Hag, Pep, Klopp, or any other top manager at top team wants the best players because they know it is what it takes to achieve their ambitions of winning trophies.

WW is not a top player. Not even close. He is hopefully not useless but like option #7 that you get when it's better than getting nothing

If you want an example of a top player, that would be Casemiro
A 20 goals a season Bundesliga striker, what would you call that?

I call that an excellent addition to our squad

Laurencio

It would be hilarious if we sign a failed Burnley player and he turns out to be a perfect fit and a 20 goals a season striker. :lol:

Member 125398

It would be hilarious if we sign a failed Burnley player and he turns out to be a perfect fit and a 20 goals a season striker. :lol:
It's been funny whatever happens and it could go either way. Even those fully on board with it being a good idea would have had a brief wtf moment when his name was first mentioned. It's just a funny name.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's been funny whatever happens and it could go either way. Even those fully on board with it being a good idea would have had a brief wtf moment when his name was first mentioned. It's just a funny name.
I don’t see wouts wrong with it.

NLunited

As a Dutchman and Ajax supporter I fully understand this. When in the winter of 2020 we signed Haller everybody went nuts. Breaking our transfer record for a tap in merchant who flopped in the EPL?! Antony after a great start was underperforming (you might recognize this) and couldn't really deliver his crosses anywhere. Then Haller came and things started to fit. Haller made important goals securing the championship and after that we got the sublime 2020/2021 CL groupfase where Antony and Haller clicked like peas and carrots. WW has Haller's physicality and in my humble opinion more of a winner's mentality. I watched him at AZ Alkmaar and thought that was his limit. Then I saw him ar Wolfsburg and his limit went up. In that way you could compare him to Dirk Kuyt who always overperformed after a transfer. From Utrecht, to Feyenoord on to Liverpool he always performed better than expected. I could see WW do the same at United.
The comparison with Dirk Kuyt is very apt. Hard work is a talent too.

Redlyn

Rashford had 5 goals and 2 assists across 32 matches last season. The feedback here is like seeing what he is doing THIS season in a better environment and concluding based on last season alone while ignoring the rest of his career. I call that tunnel vision. I think this wout guy could do a job without necessarily being good enough long term. How much can someone who thrives on service really achieve in an awful relegation bound team.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He will be a cheap 6 month loan and we are broke. Wtf else do people want?
Are we actually broke though? We've had enough money for the Glazers to take out in dividends every year. Now all of a sudden we're broke? Singing a more long term target for anywhere between 20-50m won't plunge us into financial trouble. The fact is that the Glazers are too stingy to sanction that type of signing when they're planning on selling the club in the near future.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If this was this time last year and, say Cavani left, and we loaned him straight from Wolfsburg, I wonder if the people shitting on this would have had the same reaction?

Trex

There is a reason Antony was looking for Ronaldo besides being a fan boy. He looked for someone to cross the ball to for a header or a tap in. Nobody of your current squad can deliver that. I sometimes feel like Antony doesn't lack confidence but simply has too little options for a cross so decides to play it save.
My thinking too, Antony is a creative type winger at the moment there's no one to set up.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
He‘s shit
If u dont rate him, fine. But he is clearly not shit. Would give us many attributes we currently lack, as well as possessing the right type of attitude and desire.

I really don't get why anyone would be against adding such a committed and hard working CF to our squad. We are far too thin up front and desperately need a top 4 finish. Wout gives us a far better chance of doing that in my view

Because he went there and wasn’t very good so they loaned him out with an option to buy after one season. That’s someone who’s failed at a club.
I checked out a Burnley forum last night. There was some kind of verbal promise made to the player when he signed for Burnley. He didn’t want to risk missing out on the World Cup by playing in the Championship.

The gist was that if Burnley were relegated, then he could leave on loan. I gather that he had to fight to leave (new manager etc) and the fans are angry with him because of this.

But yes, he was not great in the half season he had at Burnley.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just to put this into context, Antony cost considerably more than Haaland and Alvarez combined. That is how far off we are in our recruitment.
On paper yeah, show me the accounts in the Cayman Islands and we'll see who costs more.

Laurencio

I checked out a Burnley forum last night. There was some kind of verbal promise made to the player when he signed for Burnley. He didn’t want to risk missing out on the World Cup by playing in the Championship.

The gist was that if Burnley were relegated, then he could leave on loan. I gather that he had to fight to leave (new manager etc) and the fans are angry with him because of this.

Which too be fair, was probably not his fault.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Are we actually broke though? We've had enough money for the Glazers to take out in dividends every year. Now all of a sudden we're broke? Singing a more long term target for anywhere between 20-50m won't plunge us into financial trouble. The fact is that the Glazers are too stingy to sanction that type of signing when they're planning on selling the club in the near future.
Correct me if I’m wrong someone but didn’t they not take out dividends last time?
We are broke. Someone posted the breakdown here recently. 24m is what we have left in the bank

VanDeBank

Ma’am

The primary reason for that escape clause was that he wanted to be in contention for the world cup squad and LVG looks down on the championship but is fine with C tier leagues (mexico, turkey etc) as long as they're the highest division in their respective nation. He discussed both his moves with the old git. I don't see the logic in it, but Wout's made a great memory for the rest of his life, that's for sure.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
The primary reason for that escape clause was that he wanted to be in contention for the world cup squad and LVG looks down on the championship but is fine with C tier leagues (mexico, turkey etc) as long as they're the highest division in their respective nation. He discussed both his moves with the old git. I don't see the logic in it, but Wout's made a great memory for the rest of his life, that's for sure.
Gotta admit I'm a bit surprised no team tried to replicate that free kick yet.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
A 20 goals a season Bundesliga striker, what would you call that?

I call that an excellent addition to our squad
I admire your optimism. Except he is Turkish Super Lig player, on loan from Championship's Burnley who only cost Burnley 20 mil euros, after the season you so admire in Bundesliga. There is a reason why nobody else was and is interested in him. He is clearly not a top player, no matter how you try to hype him up. Neither is he a top young prospect who could become a top player, like Gakpo or Felix. He is 30. He is Ighalo kind of desperate loan at best. He is scraps.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Because he went there and wasn’t very good so they loaned him out with an option to buy after one season. That’s someone who’s failed at a club.
They loaned him out when relegated so he didn’t have to play in the championship, because he is too good for the league. It was probably a condition of him coming to Burnley in the first place.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
They loaned him out when relegated so he didn’t have to play in the championship, because he is too good for the league. It was probably a condition of him coming to Burnley in the first place.
It could be, but that's pure speculation on your part, isn't it? Or was this mentioned somewhere?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It could be, but that's pure speculation on your part, isn't it? Or was this mentioned somewhere?
It was reported in The Athletic:

There had in fact been an agreement between the player and club when he signed that if Burnley did not stay up he would be allowed to leave, to keep his World Cup selection hopes alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.