g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Just to put this into context, Antony cost considerably more than Haaland and Alvarez combined. That is how far off we are in our recruitment.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Just to put this into context, Antony cost considerably more than Haaland and Alvarez combined. That is how far off we are in our recruitment.
to be fair, neither of those wanted to come to us

Shai-Hulud

I'm not opposed to this signing. He's not exactly a technical marvel. But he seems like a half decent finisher, and he's good in the air. As a loan signing in the middle of the season, it's sensible business.

BlueHaze

Hell if I care, even Jose Altidore would be a better option than Martial these days..

sincher

to be fair, neither of those wanted to come to us
Sure, that isn't really what I am saying. It is just a marker of how far we are behind. Also City bought Alvarez before they needed him. Now they have Haaland with Alvarez as backup, which is amazing. And we have Martial, with (kinda) Weghorst as backup. Which isn't.

mu4c_20le

Haaland had a release clause, though that shouldn't excuse getting bent over for Antony

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yeah if you completely ignore all the bonus payments, signing fees (and wages) Haaland and his entourage pocketed.

Nonetheless, Antony for 100m looks a terrible deal so far

FrantikChicken

The context of my previous post, i.e. this is just another indicator of how far we have fallen and how badly we have been run for years.
But your comparisons make no sense.

haaland is a striker, not a RW, and he was also just not interested in joining us. Not much to be done about that.

We had ZERO right wingers, a player like Antony was absolutely necessary and while we may have overpaid, it was a must. He has what, 4 goals so far? For a player that didn’t join at the start of the season and is new to the league, it’s not a bad start whatsoever. He will continue to improve.

we’re now in this position because of failings in previous seasons, I agree, but IMO the club has done a fantastic job since ETH has come in. Every single signing has had a positive impact on the first 11. When is the last time we had such a transfer window?

sincher

Manchester United's transfer window.

IN: Butland (loan), Weghorst (loan)

I mean it is a bit mad, isn't it? I am not having a go at either player, or even that much at the deals, but feckinell, the owners and directors especially have a lot to answer for that this is what we are reduced to.

FrantikChicken

I mean it is a bit mad, isn't it? I am not having a go at either player, or even that much at the deals, but feckinell, the owners and directors especially have a lot to answer for that this is what we are reduced to.
It’s a January transfer window. I’m genuinely baffled at what people are expecting? The butland transfer only happened because dubravka was recalled.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah if you completely ignore all the bonus payments, signing fees (and wages) Haaland and his entourage pocketed.

Nonetheless, Antony for 100m looks a terrible deal so far
United really should've put a halt on that deal as soon as Ajax demanded more than 50 million.

Caved into Hag's demands too much there. United needed to show some level of authority there over Hag, especially when we just come off bending over backwards for Martinez.

sincher

But your comparisons make no sense.

haaland is a striker, not a RW, and he was also just not interested in joining us. Not much to be done about that.

We had ZERO right wingers, a player like Antony was absolutely necessary and while we may have overpaid, it was a must. He has what, 4 goals so far? For a player that didn’t join at the start of the season and is new to the league, it’s not a bad start whatsoever. He will continue to improve.

we’re now in this position because of failings in previous seasons, I agree, but IMO the club has done a fantastic job since ETH has come in. Every single signing has had a positive impact on the first 11. When is the last time we had such a transfer window?
You can't judge the success of the summer transfer window yet. I am not sure about it at all. All we know is that we spent all the money we had available and more and now have no money for a striker. And yes we should have more available, and yes Ronaldo should never have been in the squad, etc. but still.

The City comparison is just to show how far off we are where we should really be, for a whole variety of reasons.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How is poor Antony getting slagged off in every thread whether it's about him or not? You'd have thought we'd signed Bebe for £80m the way people go on.

sincher

It’s a January transfer window. I’m genuinely baffled at what people are expecting? The butland transfer only happened because dubravka was recalled.
Again, that is not my point. I am pointing out how ridiculous it is that we are where we are, not saying the deals make no sense.

TheReligion

Abusive
You can't judge the success of the summer transfer window yet. I am not sure about it at all. All we know is that we spent all the money we had available and more and now have no money for a striker. And yes we should have more available, and yes Ronaldo should never have been in the squad, etc. but still.

The City comparison is just to show how far off we are where we should really be, for a whole variety of reasons.
Stop being so so dramatic ffs

sincher

How is poor Antony getting slagged off in every thread whether it's about him or not? You'd have thought we'd signed Bebe for £80m the way people go on.
I am not slagging him off at all. Good, promising player, glad he is here. But the deal was bad from any objective viewpoint considering we could barely afford it and now have no money for a position we need to strengthen. Not the player's fault at all.

FrantikChicken

We all know we’ve been poorly run for years. We also know that the club has recently changed the way the football side is being run. With the incoming of ETH being their first real go at fixing the damage. So far, the new regime is making positive decisions in almost all aspects. They’re not going to fix all our problems in one summer window. Accept that we’re moving in a positive direction and be a little patient.

SATA

Who else can we realistically get in a January transfer window? Let’s get behind the signing and the player when it happens and hope he contributes for and to the team. In fact if he does well here, I wouldn’t mind the club signing him permanently, big name or not

FrantikChicken

I am not slagging him off at all. Good, promising player, glad he is here. But the deal was bad from any objective viewpoint considering we could barely afford it and now have no money for a position we need to strengthen. Not the player's fault at all.
please provide concrete proof for any of this?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Alright then, that's fair.

I don't think there are many that won't agree we've overpaid for him, but I'm not sure who the long term, quality option for the right wing was at a lower price when Raphinha was set on Barca (and has arguably been worse for them than Antony has for us, while being several years older).

sincher

We all know we’ve been poorly run for years. We also know that the club has recently changed the way the football side is being run. With the incoming of ETH being their first real go at fixing the damage. So far, the new regime is making positive decisions in almost all aspects. They’re not going to fix all our problems in one summer window. Accept that we’re moving in a positive direction and be a little patient.
Sure, I do accept this.
please provide concrete proof for any of this?
It is surely abundantly clear from what the club has said, and the fact that we are looking at bringing Wout Weghort on loan.

FrantikChicken

Also I completely disagree that he has been an objectively bad deal. We had zero right wingers at the club. We paid more than we should have but he was necessary and he has made us a better team. He is also young and will continue to improve. Considering what was available in the summer, and how badly we needed to fill that position, it’s really not as bad of a transfer as you’re trying to make it out to be

FrantikChicken

Sure, I do accept this.

It is surely abundantly clear from what the club has said, and the fact that we are looking at bringing Wout Weghort on loan.
Again, it’s January. Us bringing in a cheap loan option doesn’t mean we’re skint, it means there’s hardly feck all available. Please give us some examples of more expensive options that would come for 6 months which the club should have instead gone for?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some managed to convince themselves that Ighalo was a good signing so no doubt many will do the same with him. One day we'll be laughing about the time we signed Weghurst on loan and how shite he was.
He's a plan B off the bench mate. He's not coming to be our starting number 9 for the next 5 years ffs.

Arsenal have Nketiah as their back up. Hardly a fecking world beater is he?

bosskeano

they've already clearly stated they are only looking to bring in a player on loan so not really sure why all the surprise that it's a guy like Wout who is Dutch and is very similar to Haller. Who i might add was quite successful playing for EtH

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

We just had a record summer window, yet you expect a big Jan signing too?

There is zero budget left until the summer. Whether we like it or not that's what's happened, money isn't bottomless.

bosskeano

There is zero budget left until the summer. Whether we like it or not that's what's happened, money isn't bottomless.
at least not until the club is sold to Dubai

sincher

Again, it’s January. Us bringing in a cheap loan option doesn’t mean we’re skint, it means there’s hardly feck all available. Please give us some examples of more expensive options that would come for 6 months which the club should have instead gone for?

No I don't expect a big January signing!

I am merely pointing out how mad it is, when you really think about it :)

I blame the Glazers, to be clear.

Irwin99

Ighalo seemed like a nice person and a decent striker, but he was no way near good enough for United, so I do not think it worked out fine.
That's not what i'm really arguing though, of course he wasn't good enough for United but at that time he was very much needed as we had only two fit strikers. He was important to fill squad depth. As I said before Larson only scored 3 goals for us on loan in 2007 but he really really helped us that season. Sometimes it's about getting a player in who can just 'do a job' and help.

saivet

He's a plan B off the bench mate. He's not coming to be our starting number 9 for the next 5 years ffs.

Arsenal have Nketiah as their back up. Hardly a fecking world beater is he?
Personally I think it's a shit plan B. If we don't have injuries and our forwards are in form and he doesn't play it won't matter. But in that case, near enough anyone would be a good signing, such as Ighalo.

I suppose if it's Weghorst or no one then you'd take him but that doesn't make it a good signing.

I think Nketiah is a better back up striker too in my opinion.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No I don't expect a big January signing!

I am merely pointing out how mad it is, when you really think about it :)

I blame the Glazers, to be clear.
Well yes agreed on that, unfortunately mismanagement for a decade does that.

They've shot themselves in the foot though as now they're pretty much forced to sell.

fallengt

Ten Hag, Pep, Klopp, or any other top manager at top team wants the best players because they know it is what it takes to achieve their ambitions of winning trophies.

WW is not a top player. Not even close. He is hopefully not useless but like option #7 that you get when it's better than getting nothing

If you want an example of a top player, that would be Casemiro
Klopp signed many low profile & bang average players.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It is mostly a side effect of being so badly run as a club. What happened with Greenwood was not the club's fault, but what happened with Ronaldo was totally predictable... not Ten Hag's fault and he has dealt with it fine, but then also we have completely blown our budget in the summer including paying a stupid fee for Antony. So now we have not enough options up front and no money.

I agree that Thuram looks like a better option if we could get him than a loan for a player who is let's be honest not really good enough for us. I am not saying it makes no sense but it is frustrating seeing us still in the market for this type of player.
It does make sense when you consider the way ETH normally plays. He will be a target man in the way firminio was for Liverpool, bringing others into play, reasonable in the air and a reasonable goal scoring record. He’s not what people were hoping for but he’s better than that Cameroon guy for sure. As a loan signing who will give martial a breather now and again he’s fine

Spoony

The People's President
Let's be honest, he's not a striker anyone would've gone for even for a loan deal. But seeing as we don't want to commit to a large sum, he seems to be the best available choice. I'm sure ETH's not gone for him on a whim. I trust he's the best he can get for whatever reasons and I'm confident it'll help us secure a top 4.

But if we don't get him I'd still try to get a player like Mbappe on a loan. Someone who's flipping mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.