Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

I think this makes Antony more of a threat on the right, but at the same time I'm worried for Rashford. I think Rashford is much better off with a CF dropping into spaces, rather than one pinning the CB.
Well Rashford will still be playing mostly with Martial when he's fit who he's got great on pitch understanding with so that shouldn't be a problem most of the time.

NLunited

You may need to find another hobby if you seriously think that when Ronaldo left two months ago, EtH said "feck Gakpo and Felix, get me Weghorst instead". What parallel universe is that happening in? I can understand people saying we don't have money (but that is Murtough's fault and he should be fired), but saying that EtH actually wants Weghorst when we are in extremely competitive fight for top 4, and maybe even a trophy is not serious and not funny.
I’m confident Ten Hag rates WW, he ticks a lot of boxes. Improves the squad in several ways.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Will Martials fragile mentality be able to handle competition for the striker role :eek:

Wrecking ralf

Why do people keep mentioning Fellaini? Completely different player and position. If anything he’s a slightly better, smaller Crouch

Skills

Snitch
Well Rashford will still be playing mostly with Martial when he's fit who he's got great on pitch understanding with so that shouldn't be a problem most of the time.
Agreed. Tbf, it's probably a discussion for another thread but the type of CF we have long term is quite an interesting challenge. Rashford works really well with someone like Martial who can turn into space, and then play him in behind.

I'n all for this, because I think it adds another dimension to our team and we still have a lot of games to play this season.

saivet

Some managed to convince themselves that Ighalo was a good signing so no doubt many will do the same with him. One day we'll be laughing about the time we signed Weghurst on loan and how shite he was.

Hester_manc

The Ighalo loan worked out fine for what it was, we were absolutely fecked with our striking options that season as Rashford did his back in January which left us with only Martial and Greenwood as our strikers (which was just dreadful planning).

Henrik Larsson only scored 3 goals for us in his loan here but he was desperately needed. Sometimes it really is a case of just having a squad player to alleviate the demands on the squad.
Ighalo seemed like a nice person and a decent striker, but he was no way near good enough for United, so I do not think it worked out fine.

December_16

Every time, and I mean every time, he hasn't had competition, he fecks it up or gets hurt. It's over.
As much as I love the guy, feck him if he can’t handle competition. As if he has set the world alight with his contribution here. If he doesn’t improve as a CF, the earlier we get some replacements in and bin him, the better.

Kag

Hyperbole, but being a racist wife beater also wouldn't, where's the line?
The line is obvious. Being a racist, wife-beater involves criminal behaviour. Being anti-vaccination, while stupid, is not.

People getting worked up about his views on vaccination are preposterous.

NLunited

This is actually happening. I'm so underwhelmed.
Short term loan, similar signing to Ings/Benteke to Liverpool, Choupo-Moting to Bayern, Luuk De Jong to Barcelona. All these have been successful for the role they were asked to fill.

madzo2007

its for 6 months, he offers something different or to come on and cause a bit of chaos. There's not much to lose really.

We had to get someone in and theres no top class strikers available in January not that we have much money anyway.

Kag

Back to normality, I think this could be quite shrewd.

I hate that we’re in the market for yet another stop-gap on loan, but this is where we are right now.

He can’t be any worse than the fella who was masquerading as Cristiano Ronaldo earlier this season.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yes he does. If Martial goes off, who plays up front currently?

Usually Rashford, sometimes Elanga. With Elanga often replacing Rashford out wide if he shifts up front. It's really not that complicated, is it?

If we sign a backup striker, he gets on the pitch instead of Martial, Rashford stays wide, and Elanga stays on the bench (or even goes somewhere else on loan).
Righto :lol: :lol:

Not sure what team you've been watching, but it ain't United.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Righto :lol: :lol:

Not sure what team you've been watching, but it ain't United.
You came into the thread asking why people think Elanga would be getting fewer minutes if we got a backup striker. You've been told why Elanga would be getting fewer minutes if we got a backup striker.

Your response has been "nuh uh" and laughing emojis. Are you just one of these people who just has to have the last word even when you're obviously wrong about something?

Scholsey2004

This is actually happening. I'm so underwhelmed.
Actually i can see him making life for Rashford, Fernandes and Antony a lot easier. He's an actual centre forward like Cavani. Not as talented but in far better condition. Our shape looked a million miles better having a strong centre forward who can hold up play and outmuscle defenders.

Josep Dowling

What do you expect? It’s a loan signing. We spent 200m in the summer, we are now broke and the club is for sale. Honestly what were youu expecting? That we go drop 50-100m on someone?
More a general point over the last 10 years rather than this winter transfer window. I would have thought the most sensible decision would be Thuram on the cheap. He’s probably worth £40/50m. Get him in cheap now, sell him in a year’s time. If we did that a few times we might actually have funds.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You came into the thread asking why people think Elanga would be getting fewer minutes if we got a backup striker. You've been told why Elanga would be getting fewer minutes if we got a backup striker.

Your response has been "nuh uh" and laughing emojis. Are you just one of these people who just has to have the last word even when you're obviously wrong about something?
I'm not wrong about Elanga being backup for the wide areas,
Weghorst joining will have minimal impact on Elanga's position at the club.

He hasn't played down the middle much if at all this season, but nevermind.

Carry on being angry.

Beaucoup

Actually i can see him making life for Rashford, Fernandes and Antony a lot easier. He's an actual centre forward like Cavani. Not as talented but in far better condition. Our shape looked a million miles better having a strong centre forward who can hold up play and outmuscle defenders.
He‘s shit

V.O.

I'm not wrong about Elanga being backup for the wide areas,
Weghorst joining will have minimal impact on Elanga's position at the club.

He hasn't played down the middle much if at all this season, but nevermind.

Carry on being angry.
Who's angry?

Yes, Elanga is mainly used in wide areas. He usually plays there when Rashford has to be shifted up front.

Carry on being simple.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I’m confident Ten Hag rates WW, he ticks a lot of boxes. Improves the squad in several ways.
Ten Hag, Pep, Klopp, or any other top manager at top team wants the best players because they know it is what it takes to achieve their ambitions of winning trophies.

WW is not a top player. Not even close. He is hopefully not useless but like option #7 that you get when it's better than getting nothing

If you want an example of a top player, that would be Casemiro

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It is mostly a side effect of being so badly run as a club. What happened with Greenwood was not the club's fault, but what happened with Ronaldo was totally predictable... not Ten Hag's fault and he has dealt with it fine, but then also we have completely blown our budget in the summer including paying a stupid fee for Antony. So now we have not enough options up front and no money.

I agree that Thuram looks like a better option if we could get him than a loan for a player who is let's be honest not really good enough for us. I am not saying it makes no sense but it is frustrating seeing us still in the market for this type of player.

Idxomer

You have to find it a bit funny that we find ourselves in a very similar situation to the one we had 3 years ago with the Ighalo signing.

Ighalo was also not our first choice, it was Joshua King who was too expensive and we wanted him only on loan.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it's a 6 month loan guys, get a grip.

We need more bodies until the summer and you'll only get a lower quality player until then.

It's Weghorst or similar; or Martial until he breaks down and then Rashford as CF. What's the better option?

El Jefe

He's fit and seems like he's in form. Good in the air and presses, so that's good enough for me.

He might end up being shite but I'd prefer that than signing an average player on a long term deal. Ighalo wasn't a United level striker but being able to play him in the cups and EL really helped us in the league.

Kag

It is mostly a side effect of being so badly run as a club. What happened with Greenwood was not the club's fault, but what happened with Ronaldo was totally predictable... not Ten Hag's fault and he has dealt with it fine, but then also we have completely blown our budget in the summer including paying a stupid fee for Antony. So now we have not enough options up front and no money.

I agree that Thuram looks like a better option if we could get him than a loan for a player who is let's be honest not really good enough for us. I am not saying it makes no sense but it is frustrating seeing us still in the market for this type of player.
It’s infuriating. It’s also necessary, sadly.

The club have got to sort striker once and for all this summer.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Out of all the alleged targets we have been linked with this window, this one makes the most sense. Think we are overloaded in the #10, false 9, inside forward mold, so Felix and Depay do not make too much sense. He would offer something we don't currently have, physical and technically proficient (good feet for a big man) and he's all effort. Six month loan and allows the likes of Rashford to be rotated to keep fresh is not too bad an idea.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ten Hag, Pep, Klopp, or any other top manager at top team wants the best players because they know it is what it takes to achieve their ambitions of winning trophies.

WW is not a top player. Not even close. He is hopefully not useless but like option #7 that you get when it's better than getting nothing

If you want an example of a top player, that would be Casemiro
Context. WW is better than the other players available this month.

Casemiro wasn’t a cheap loan signing, and most were moaning about the signing when it was made. He’s won over the fans by showing his quality and WW can do the same.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

We need more bodies until the summer and you'll only get a lower quality player until then.

It's Weghorst or similar; or Martial until he breaks down and then Rashford as CF. What's the better option?
Rashford is wasted as a No.9. I don't have too much trouble with this but like to make sure we aren't missing out on someone better (don't ask me who!)

V.O.

I think Rashford on current form is probably the best of the lot at CF, but leaving him at left wing where he can be at his best is the bigger priority. The drop off from Rashford/Martial/Antony to Rashford/Weghorst/Antony is a lot less steep than to (Elanga/Garnacho)/Rashford/Antony. Garnacho has looked understandably nervous and shaky in his last few outings, and Elanga just isn't the quality needed.

It'd be less urgent if we knew when/if Sancho was going to come back fit and firing to be an option on that left side, but as of right now, I'm warming to the idea of Weghorst more than I thought I would be. I blame @KirkDuyt.

Status
Not open for further replies.