WSL 2023-2024 | NewCo | Matchday Chat

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There's something a little anticlimactic about winning the title and celebrating in another team's stadium.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm sure you'll get over it :lol:
:lol: I know I sound so spoilt here but it just could have been a nicer day if I could attend the game and be part of the celebrations.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
On paper the best possible replacement for Emma Hayes. Let's hope she fits in well. Still pissed off with our sporting directors that they dithered on Emma's contract which then paved the way for her departure. Morons.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
On paper the best possible replacement for Emma Hayes. Let's hope she fits in well. Still pissed off with our sporting directors that they dithered on Emma's contract which then paved the way for her departure. Morons.
Saw some quotes today from Hayes and it seems like she really needs this break anyway. So perhaps it was going to happen regardless?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Saw some quotes today from Hayes and it seems like she really needs this break anyway. So perhaps it was going to happen regardless?
At the time all reports were that she wanted a new deal and the sporting directors were wrangling over how much of an increase she deserved. I don't doubt that's how she feels now she's had 6 months of knowing that she's leaving.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
At the time all reports were that she wanted a new deal and the sporting directors were wrangling over how much of an increase she deserved. I don't doubt that's how she feels now she's had 6 months of knowing that she's leaving.
Yeah that makes sense. Helped her to make the decision kind of thing.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I have some questions if someone would be kind enough to answer any of these. Sorry, but there's a lot! Things look like they're going well for women's football and the WSL. I'm trying to gauge the state of play and potential for future growth. It's just for curiosity, some of these will be more United orientated. I put my own uninformed thoughts after all of them.

There are 22 games in the WSL. Is this likely to be increased in the near future?

I believe there have been calls for the top-flight to be expanded at times, but I do see that the bottom team already can already struggle with them often picking up very low point totals/ points per game. The last few seasons it's been 6 points, 11, 11, 12. Does that mean that there isn't enough strength in depth within the pyramid to make expanding the league attractive if competitive games is the aim?

Any talk of adopting the Scottish men's Premier League format instead? They get 38 games from 12 teams.

Suppose squads would be need to be larger. Are finances an issue? Mind you, the clubs would be bringing more money in through playing more often.

Thoughts on the future-planned women's equivalent of the Europa League for 25/26?

I was actually going to ask if there was potential for one before seeing that it's in the pipeline. I would have guessed not but it's good to see it being given a go. Looking at the qualifying rounds of this season's Champions League, I imagine some of the clubs are strictly amateur and would struggle with time off work and/or being able to afford to travel which is probably why the mini qualifying tournaments were almost all hosted by smaller teams. Will that be an issue when more teams are playing in Europe?

Attendances look healthy, often boosted by matches at the 'big stadium'. What's the future for this, and the specific draw for fans?

Looking at United, 3 of the last 4 WSL Old Trafford games were on weekends when the men's team were not in action. How much of a factor is that kind of thing when trying to attract a big crowd? The one that wasn't (Chelsea recently) the men were playing away the following day. Do fixtures ever clash between the men's and women's teams, even when playing at Leigh and what impact does that have on attendance?

How much of a draw is Old Trafford itself, as WSL games at Leigh don't completely sell out? Is it the pull of the famous stadium? Location because it's much closer to central Manchester?

Is there any scope at all for an independent team not associated with an existing men's team to do well?

This would be great to see but I'm guessing it would be very difficult. First they'd obviously need a stadium/facilities that would cost a fortune, even if rented. The name association with the men's team is why a lot of people start to follow women's football I'd assume. Is it possible without? I see London City Lionesses in the 2nd tier, could they feasibly win promotion and end up winning the top flight one day?

When I was a kid I went to Friends of Fulham v Leasowe Pacific at Old Trafford for the FA Cup final. Very different times back then, attendance 941. I believe both were independent clubs at the time, now the women's teams of AFC Wimbledon and Everton.

General fan culture

Is there much of an away following for WSL teams? Any supporter's coaches going to games regularly or people jumping in a car or minibus together to drive from Manchester to an away match? Or is it more that away fans are going to be living close to the local area of where a game is being played?

Is there an emerging fanbase who exclusively watch women's football and don't even watch men's on TV? I'd imagine this would be most likely among women and girls if it happens at all. More likely to happen in the USA than UK for now?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Chipper

A lot of questions! I'd say you are better off asking the United specific stuff about OT Vs LSV etc in the MUWomen Forum

But there is going to be a big change in Women's football in UK - read the OP with details about 'NewCo'

Away followings for WSL matches is a new thing - last season was the first time teams were given official Away sections and yes there are MUWomen supporters who go to all games home & away

There are Women's teams which are not connected to Mens teams like Lewes, Durham and London City but realistically they are going to find it difficult to complete with budgets coming from established teams - Newcastle just started a Women's team for example and will likely be in the WSL pretty soon

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I have some questions if someone would be kind enough to answer any of these. Sorry, but there's a lot! Things look like they're going well for women's football and the WSL. I'm trying to gauge the state of play and potential for future growth. It's just for curiosity, some of these will be more United orientated. I put my own uninformed thoughts after all of them.

There are 22 games in the WSL. Is this likely to be increased in the near future?
Interesting questions but if I try and answer in one hit it'll look like a dissertation in reply. So I'll do it in doses and hopefully it'll just read like a series of essays :lol:

The WSL structure does need to change but funding is an issue. Chances are that relegated Bristol will have to go back to being semi-pro for most players next year. It's a hard transition that makes player retention difficult and means they'll inevitably rely on good loan deals if they do come back up.

Crystal Palace are the team going up to WSL1 next year. They're a pro team and having a PL club behind them should give them a bit of stability at least.

The discrepancy in budgets between WSL1 (all full-time) and the championship (a mix of full-time and part-time) has been a big one but teams like Palace, Southampton are pro and teams like Bristol and Sunderland are a mix of pro and semipro. Meanwhile clubs who can't invest like that including Lewes, London, Durham and even Reading are feeling the strain.

Newcastle were down in tier 3 and they were more or less a pro team in an amateur/semipro league. Newcastle and Southampton will get into the championship next season as full-time pro teams.

What does it mean? There's a massive amount of reshuffling going on. Changing the numbers of teams probably isn't the answer right now but should become possible if the game keeps growing. Meanwhile possibilities like switching to a promotion/relegation playoff tournament could add a bit of spice.

Whether we can do the same playoff or mini league trick for the top half is a different problem. It would have to fit in with WCL qualification rules. It would also have to address the incredibly messy timetable that women's football uses (it's long been dominated by the needs of national teams). They'd have to work out how to reconfigure (or replace) the WSL Cup so it didn't just mean an even worse timetable.

It's not unusual for a women's team to have no matches for two weekends followed by three matches in a week - the schedule needs a lot of work. And that's before I even mention how annoying it is when there's a clash between United's men's team matches and the women's team. I'm hoping the fact that NewCo is supposed to be all about professionalism and viability will make them better at these things. We wait and see.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Picking up some of the issues around the fanbase.

Attendances look healthy, often boosted by matches at the 'big stadium'. What's the future for this, and the specific draw for fans?

Is there any scope at all for an independent team not associated with an existing men's team to do well?

General fan culture
It's early days for big crowds and big stadiums. The main pulls of the big stadia - they're familiar, they're more central and they usually have better facilities and better public transport links. Familiarity isn't a small thing - it makes for an easier intro for fans who haven't been to women's football and fans who might want to take family/friends to a match.

Leigh Sports Village is a nice stadium but it's out of town and has no metro or train link.

Fan culture is changing and United fans are part of the change. The early active fans were more or less all United men's team fans, with a lot matchgoers and season ticket holders in the mix. The last season or two, the idea of away ticket allocations sold through United has become a thing. There are minibuses and carshares.

There's still a lot of suspicion and snobbery from traditional women's football fans about the United fans as we're viewed as noisy new arrivals who don't really understand the etiquette and culture of the women's game. But that's fair enough really, the game is changing and we're part of it.

The idea of an away pub in the men's football sense (where it could be done for safety reasons) doesn't really exist in the women's game. It's more a question of sharing ideas about "football friendly" pubs and places where United fans can meet pre-match.

As for independent teams - it's hard for them. There's no built-in fan base to get you started or even to send a bulk email to. The costs of running a team are getting higher as the number of pro and part time teams increase. You need guaranteed funds to even get a licence as a WSL or WSL2. It's going to feel like pushing water uphill. Unless of course you land an owner, fundraiser or a sponsor who is willing to bankroll it. Gate money alone isn't likely to do the job.