WSL 2023-2024 | NewCo | Matchday Chat

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I just watched Barcelona-Chelsea and Ramirez outrunning newly subbed Barcelona players in minute 75 like it was a cake walk.

Has Ramirez a DNA advantage or something? She looks kind of like a man, and she runs and plays like a man!

I dont want to be disrespectful, but I think the question needs to be asked.

I literally said in the FA-cup final that Ramirez looked like a women playing against girls teams in terms of physical ability!

When I see her play, I ask the question, how can you actually beat that somone thats so much stronger and faster?
I saw her play live for the first time last week at LSV and yes she does stand out in terms of strength but still our defence managed to stop her so it's not impossible by any means

Lightbringer

I saw her play live for the first time last week at LSV and yes she does stand out in terms of strength but still our defence managed to stop her so it's not impossible by any means
The difference was that United sat deep and defended as we had an early lead. Barcelona let her have space and run as they had to attack and have their D exposed in long running duels with her which made Ramirez physique stand out more. Definitely realize now why we only have beaten Chelsea 1 time in 17 games! And perhaps this Chelsea side is even better than ever!

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Nope, just a kind suggestion.
There was nothing kind about the suggestion, but thank you!

I just think when I see the most physical stand out player I ever saw in the womens game while also looking the least female, at least to me it makes me ask questions, not whether she is a women, but if she could have something else going for her like for example Caster Semenya.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There was nothing kind about the suggestion, but thank you!

I just think when I see the most physical stand out player I ever saw in the womens game while also looking the least female, at least to me it makes me ask questions, not whether she is a women, but if she could have something else going for her like for example Caster Semenya.
I don't think shes as unique as you are making out - Bunny Shaw is taller

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Chelsea fans finally getting behind the Women's team

I guess it's good for the WSL in general if they win this

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I guess it's good for the WSL in general if they win this
Not sure I can handle the broad approach to this.
Thinks about it: I actually want both sides to lose. Barcelona because they've been finding it too easy recently. Chelsea because they have found it too easy in England for a few years and like all our WSL rivals they're a rival first and foremost.

On balance, because WCL points are good for national WCL seedings, I'll go for a Chelsea win today though. Plus it's great to see them sell out the stadium and they deserve something for that. And then they can lose the final :lol:

Match is live now on DAZN - you have to register for the free "women's football" subscription but I think it works worldwide. TNT Sports are showing it in the UK.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Shame about the result. Decent effort but Barca are a damn good team. Feels like the only team in Europe this Chelsea just can’t beat. Unfortunate final game at the Bridge for Hayes.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This was objectively an awful decision though.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not that Arsenal had much of a title chance anyway, but today’s draw at Everton is the final nail in that coffin. 90+5’ equaliser for the Toffees, scored by a 16-year old academy graduate. Love it.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Liverpool have been very impressive against Chelsea tonight. Think Chelsea will still win this but they’re really struggling. Hayes’ farewell tour going even worse than Klopp’s?

top1whoisman

Scout
Advantage City. Some big games left for both teams. Liverpool definitely deserved this. Hope Koivisto is okay. I mean she should definitely not play on Sunday but then after that I hope she's okay.

brian017

The Hayes and Klopp farewell tours are going swimmingly well. You would think they would’ve learned something from Fergie in ‘01

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
City don't have an easy run-in. Arsenal on Sunday won't be a walkover but home advantage should help. They've got an away to Villa on the final day. 4 points from those two matches would guarantee they win the League. Very doable, especially in the form they're in, but not a foregone conclusion.

Chelsea play Spurs and (already relegated) Bristol. They come to Old Trafford to play us on the last day of the season.

top1whoisman

Scout
City don't have an easy run-in. Arsenal on Sunday won't be a walkover but home advantage should help. They've got an array to Villa on the final day. 4 points from those two matches would mean they win the League.

Chelsea play Spurs and (already relegated) Bristol. They come to Old Trafford to play us on the last day of the season.
The Arsenal game is a big one. Villa haven’t been what they were last season.

top1whoisman

Scout
Interesting comments. Mind games? If Arsenal beat Man City it’s very much an open race. And it’s not like Arsenal can’t beat them.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Add it to the list of bizarre things Hayes has said/done this season - as everyone realises by now, announcing you are leaving always ends badly

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Interesting comments. Mind games? If Arsenal beat Man City it’s very much an open race. And it’s not like Arsenal can’t beat them.
It does take the pressure off her players and puts it back on City - it's theirs to lose now. Maybe it'll motivate the Arsenal players as well.

I must admit it's created a problem for me. Why would I ever want City to win anything? On the other hand why would I want to extend Chelsea women's reign at the top of the WSL?

That said - the sheer schadenfreude glee at seeing the victory tour end up trophy-less is hard to turn down. Anyway, irrespective of what it means to the title, I do want to see us show off a WFA Cup trophy and then beat Chelsea at Old Trafford in the last game of the WSL season.

top1whoisman

Scout
It does take the pressure off her players and puts it back on City - it's theirs to lose now. Maybe it'll motivate the Arsenal players as well.

I must admit it's created a problem for me. Why would I ever want City to win anything? On the other hand why would I want to extend Chelsea women's reign at the top of the WSL?

That said - the sheer schadenfreude glee at seeing the victory tour end up trophy-less is hard to turn down. Anyway, irrespective of what it means to the title, I do want to see us show off a WFA Cup trophy and then beat Chelsea at Old Trafford in the last game of the WSL season.
I agree, very smart. I’m sure that’s not what she’s said to her players.

And yeah, it’s difficult to decide which is the best scenario out of two bad ones.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Liverpool playing at St Helens Stadium from next season (18k capacity):

It's a good stadium and for a big chunk of the season it'll be easier for them to negotiate the right match dates etc. Like a bigger version of LSV really. It should be a better pitch than the one at Tranmere as well, but that remains to be seen.

I don't know how their fans will feel as it's a big move and it doesn't get it any closer to Anfield but it's not a bad one from a football playing perspective.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Carla Ward will be leaving Aston Villa at the end of the season. She's well respected across the women's game and she has had Villa punching above their weight in terms of recruitment as well as performances over the past couple of years.

The BBC suggesting that it might be down to personal reasons. She's a mum with a young daughter who has now started school. There's a write-up on the problems she's had with that at:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68588538