WSL 2023-2024 | NewCo | Matchday Chat

Scanny

What a waste of time - it's taken over a year to bring this charge and will take another year before it gets to court

don't the CPS have more important things to be dealing with?!
if she’d used a racial slur against a black officer would so many excuses on social media be made for her.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
if she’d used a racial slur against a black officer would so many excuses on social media be made for her.
I havent seen what social media are saying

If she's done it then give her the fine she deserves and move on - not sure why it would take a year to charge her

Scanny

I havent seen what social media are saying

If she's done it then give her the fine she deserves and move on - not sure why it would take a year to charge her
She pleaded not guilty so cannot be fined. By pleading not guilty there has to be a trial.

Because the criminal justice system has the longest backlog in its history thanks to public service cuts for a decade.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You wonder if this would have resulted in charges if it hadn't been someone famous. Not sure they are going to be able to prove that constituted harassment. Surely cops must hear and ignore far far worse than that on a daily basis?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In a predominantly white country calling someone a white bastard is very very different from a white person calling a black copper a black bastard. Racism is generally defined as not only discrimination or antagonism against a race but that race normally has to be a minority or habitually discriminated against.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
She pleaded not guilty so cannot be fined. By pleading not guilty there has to be a trial.

Because the criminal justice system has the longest backlog in its history thanks to public service cuts for a decade.
Or post her a warning? What would likely have happened if she weren't Sam Kerr.

Scanny

Or post her a warning? What would likely have happened if she weren't Sam Kerr.
She pleaded not guilty. A warning not possible. Also irresponsible. A racist comment is a racist comment. Nothing to do with who she is. Doubt a couple of male police officers even recognised her.

Scanny

In a predominantly white country calling someone a white bastard is very very different from a white person calling a black copper a black bastard. Racism is generally defined as not only discrimination or antagonism against a race but that race normally has to be a minority or habitually discriminated against.
That’s not the definition in law.
Nothing to do with being a minority race or not.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That’s not the definition in law.
Nothing to do with being a minority race or not.
But that is the dictionary definition and for a good reason. Given that definition proving the copper felt harrased due to racial abuse seems like a very long bow.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
She pleaded not guilty. A warning not possible. Also irresponsible. A racist comment is a racist comment. Nothing to do with who she is. Doubt a couple of male police officers even recognised her.
It was entirely possible nearly a year ago. She only pleaded not guilty after being charged a year or more later.

And who doesn't know who Sam Kerr is?

And the CPS certainly did.

Scanny

It was entirely possible nearly a year ago. She only pleaded not guilty after being charged a year or more later.

And who doesn't know who Sam Kerr is?

And the CPS certainly did.
Many men have no clue who some of the Lionesses are so it is very likely many men won’t know who Sam Kerr is.

I’m not going to continue to educate you on the Criminal Justice System.
I work in it but clearly you have made your mind up what should have happened no matter I point out why it hasn’t.

Carry on thinking you know best rather than wait for the trial.

Scanny

But that is the dictionary definition and for a good reason. Given that definition proving the copper felt harrased due to racial abuse seems like a very long bow.
FFS the dictionary does not supersede law.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Many men have no clue who some of the Lionesses are so it is very likely many men won’t know who Sam Kerr is.

I’m not going to continue to educate you on the Criminal Justice System.
I work in it but clearly you have made your mind up what should have happened no matter I point out why it hasn’t.

Carry on thinking you know best rather than wait for the trial.
We know what she said and going to trial is a huge waste of resources. And the idea that a cop felt harrased by what she said is frankly unbelievable.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
FFS the dictionary does not supersede law.
I didn't say it did. But it does speak to the reasonableness of the charge. And the reasonableness of wasting so many resources on such a minor thing.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Willie Kirk suspended while under investigation at Leicester over allegations of an inappropriate relationship.

Kirk was Casey Stoney's assistant manager at United when the women's team was first set up. He left to become Everton's manager.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sad to see another investigation of this type, didn't affect Leicester Women on the pitch though as they got a good result in the cup

Semifinal draw tomorrow

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'll admit to not knowing who she was until the thread about her being charged popped up on this forum. As males can be called Sam too, I assumed it was going to be about a promising young player from a male Premier League U21 side who was just breaking through that I hadn't yet encountered, or a player in the Championship.

Only actually opened this thread because "Newco" in the thread title caught my eye and I was thinking isn't that what Celtic fans were calling Rangers after they essentially got disbanded and relegated to the 4th tier a few years back. Thought that maybe a women's team had been suffered a similar fate. Decided to stay and have a read anyway and after Goggling it, it turns out it was "Sevco" for Rangers, not NewCo. :nervous:

Scanny

I'll admit to not knowing who she was until the thread about her being charged popped up on this forum. As males can be called Sam too, I assumed it was going to be about a promising young player from a male Premier League U21 side who was just breaking through that I hadn't yet encountered, or a player in the Championship.
Thank you for also confirming my point. Another here disagreed with me believing men would know who Sam Kerr is.

Some do, most don’t I reckon.

Yeah, NewCo is the name of the organisation taking over the women’s game at the top level.
Let’s see what happens next.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
On the eve of a massive WSL clash between Chelsea & Arsenal, Emma Hayes has stirred the controversy by talking about player to player relationships in Women's football being 'inappropriate'

Is this mind games targeted at Mead/Miedema at Arsenal?

Do Chelsea have any couples in the squad?

cj_sparky

On the eve of a massive WSL clash between Chelsea & Arsenal, Emma Hayes has stirred the controversy by talking about player to player relationships in Women's football being 'inappropriate'

Is this mind games targeted at Mead/Miedema at Arsenal?

Do Chelsea have any couples in the squad?

Carter and Berger.

Just recently Wales Women's team just appointed a woman who resigned from a previous role after her players complained about a relationship with a player. It was "investigated" and found no wrongdoing.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Carter and Berger.

Just recently Wales Women's team just appointed a woman who resigned from a previous role after her players complained about a relationship with a player. It was "investigated" and found no wrongdoing.
Ok so it's not mind games then from Hayes

I assume everyone would agree that coach/player relationships are completely inappropriate and that's regardless if it's a man or a women

Player/player is clearly accepted at the moment though with several well known couples at various teams.
I think Hayes is right in what she says, but obviously it won't go down well with some players and she's getting a lot of flak online.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Listening to what she actually said I don’t think there’s anything even remotely controversial about anything she said.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Carter and Berger.
Yeah Mjelde and Fran Kirby too. There was also Harder and Ericsson at the club together for 3 years until last season.

I can see what Hayes is talking about. I always just thought it was a completely normal part of women’s football and but I never really considered the challenges it could bring having multiple couples in the same squad, and when I hear Hayes lay it out like that, she’s not wrong.

cj_sparky

Yeah there was also Harder and Ericsson at the club together for 3 years until last season. Mjelde and Fran Kirby too apparently.

I can see what Hayes is talking about. I always just thought it was a completely normal part of women’s football and but I never really considered the challenges it could bring having multiple couples in the same squad, and when I hear Hayes lay it out like that, she’s not wrong.
I don't see an issue in what Hayes said tbh, I think she simply highlighted what potentially can go wrong should a relationship breakdown or issues it may cause with contracts running down etc.

Saying that I do think women's football needs more safe guarding in place and like many workplaces might need a policy put in place around no relationships with a colleague. Like I'm not sure what to make of a 7 year age gap when Carter and Berger first got together at Birmingham, when Carter was 18/19 and Berger was 25/26.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The player-coach thing is pretty straightforward, it can't happen, it becomes a safeguarding issue and one with a power imbalance built-in. There's a complication that happens in some clubs where a senior player becomes a player/coach but that's becoming rarer as the game becomes professional, but it still happens and still needs openness.

Player-player is much more about squad unity. What happens if a relationship starts/ends or if a manager wants to drop/send on loan/transfer out one player - do you lose/upset them both. Plus of course even stable relationships can go astray if you become rivals for the same job on a team. I can see why that adds an extra complexity to the managers job. I'm not at all sure it's avoidable complexity though. It can't be a disciplinary or contract breaking behaviour.

For us, it was suggested that one reason Rachel Daly wasn't a United target was because she was in a relationship with a United player. That relationship was soon over, which might have been pretty awkward if they had been working together.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Complete farce - kick off delayed 30mins due to Arsenal wearing the same colour socks as Chelsea!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Complete farce - kick off delayed 30mins due to Arsenal wearing the same colour socks as Chelsea!
Just seen that. Apparently Arsenal had to go to the Chelsea megastore to buy blue socks for their players.

Women’s football is great! The peak of professionalism!

cj_sparky

Makes it all look very amateur, it isn't like kits aren't already known long before kick off either.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea twitter admin had some fun with it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lovely stuff. Arsenal can’t get anywhere near James.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is Lauren James as the best player in the league? I think she is and she’ll soon be the face of the league too, if she isn’t already.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The Women's Super League has set a new cumulative attendance record with six rounds of matches still to play.

A club-record 32,970 watched Chelsea's 3-1 win over Arsenal at Stamford Bridge on Friday, taking the total number of fans attending WSL games this season to 717,721.

That surpasses the previous record of 689,297 set across the whole of the 2022-23 campaign.

The new record has been achieved with 36 games still to be played.

Larger WSL crowds are becoming common with an increased number of games played at stadiums this season which are usually reserved for clubs' men's sides.

After the upcoming Women's Football Weekend on 23-24 March during the men's international break, every WSL side other than West Ham will have played at least one game at their main stadium this season.

Arsenal's win over Manchester United in February set a new attendance record of 60,160 for a WSL game and the Gunners sold out Emirates Stadium in back-to-back matches.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68602465

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The Women's Super League has set a new cumulative attendance record with six rounds of matches still to play.

A club-record 32,970 watched Chelsea's 3-1 win over Arsenal at Stamford Bridge on Friday, taking the total number of fans attending WSL games this season to 717,721.

That surpasses the previous record of 689,297 set across the whole of the 2022-23 campaign.

The new record has been achieved with 36 games still to be played.

Larger WSL crowds are becoming common with an increased number of games played at stadiums this season which are usually reserved for clubs' men's sides.

After the upcoming Women's Football Weekend on 23-24 March during the men's international break, every WSL side other than West Ham will have played at least one game at their main stadium this season.

Arsenal's win over Manchester United in February set a new attendance record of 60,160 for a WSL game and the Gunners sold out Emirates Stadium in back-to-back matches.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68602465
Obviously, in terms of sheer volume of fans, the decisive thing in bringing in those record numbers has been Arsenal's decision to use the Emirates more.

What's just as encouraging in terms of how the game is developing though is the rise in attendances more generally. Bristol City in particular stands out - average home attendance is 7687 and they got 14k there for their match with United.

Early days of course in terms of finding out what's sustainable as the glow of the Lionesses and the Euros summer starts to wear off. There a real dilemma at the moment in terms of financing - a big club can run a WSL pro team with pocket money, but for Bristol City it's hard. To run a winning pro team is going to get more expensive (relative to itself, not to men's football!) and the rules around stability and sustainability are going to need to adapt fast.