WSL 2023-2024 | NewCo | Matchday Chat

croadyman

Spurs 1 - 0 Arsenal - Martha Thomas with the goal. The Spurs keeper, Votikova, had a blinder, as did the rest of the defence. Gutted for Russo haha.
Yeah nice one Martha I never expected Spurs to get anything let alone win the game

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I didn't want to jinx it until the match was safely over. Good win for Spurs. Ex-United player gets the only goal in a Spurs/Arsenal match at the Spurs stadium and it's a good result for us. What were the odds of that :D

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Women's Super League: What to look out for in the January transfer window

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67698978

Another transfer window, another chance for clubs to add to their squads - but what deals could we see happen in the Women's Super League in January?

The transfer window is now open for WSL clubs and they have until 23:00 GMT on 31 January to complete any deals.

Here is what might happen this month...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
They've got a deep squad and score goals without her. She is a difference maker though (often against United) and it will add to their dependance on players like Kirby who are normally part of the rotation.

They're still in everything, including the WCL so it'll definitely make the juggling act Hayes usually does that much harder. Unfortunately the chances are that it's Arsenal who will get the benefit of that.

United's own "ACL club" - Gabby George, Emma Watkins, Jess Simpson - all went with the United squad to Malta this week for our training camp. I'm not expecting to see any of them playing again this season, but I'm pleased we're looking after them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bit late to this, but that is so gutting. We do have Mia Fishel, whose scoring record is actually pretty impressive at every level she's played, so I'm hoping losing Kerr won't have too much of a negative impact. There's also Kirby as well as Reiten who has been good for 10-15 goals a season the last two years.

But yeah, so, so gutted for her.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I know there is still a lot of love amongst the MUWomen fanbase for Casey Stoney, they wont be happy if it's her but I think it is quite likely

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
6 of the FIFPro XI are WSL

Have to say it's a bit weird that World champs Spain have only 2 players in there Vs 7 Lionesses - especially since Barca also won the CL

Russo still living off that backheel - she's done absolutely nothing in the past 12 months to warrant getting anywhere near the World XI

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Deloitte Money League: 'Explosion of interest' in women's football as revenues rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68081267

Average revenues of the top 15 women's football clubs in Europe grew by 61% to 4.3m euros (£3.7m) over the last year, according to analysis by Deloitte.

All but three of the 15 clubs in their Money League study recorded double-digit revenue growth in 2022-23.

Barcelona stay top after revenues increased by 74% to 13.4m euros (£11.5m), with Manchester United second with 8m euros (£6.8m).

Real Madrid are third with €7.4m (£6.3m) - a 416% rise from 2021-22.

Manchester City and Arsenal complete the top five, with Chelsea sixth and Tottenham 10th.

There are eight Women's Super League (WSL) clubs in total, with Liverpool, Everton and West Ham 11th, 13th and 14th respectively.

There's huge potential in women's football, we have seen this growth for a few years now so it proves it is not just a one off," Amy Clarke, women's sport lead in Deloitte's Sports Business Group, told BBC Sport.

"We are seeing huge explosion in interest in the women's game. We had record crowd and increased attendances last season resulting in higher matchday revenue. And we are seeing a really big focus on clubs becoming sustainable in their own right."

Figures for the men's game showed that commercial revenue overtook broadcast for the first time since 2016, prompting clubs to explore different revenue streams, something already well established in the women's game.

Unlike the men's game, which has traditionally relied on lucrative broadcast contracts, only 20% of the women's clubs average revenue came from broadcast deals last season, with commercial revenue accounting for 58% and matchday 22%.

Broadcast revenue across each league also varies greatly, with England's WSL and Spain's Liga F broadcast rights worth around 8m euros in 2022/23, approximately eight times that of Italy's Serie A Femminile (€1m), which became fully professional from the 2022/23 season.

That means clubs have tried different ways of generating revenue, even within the same leagues. For example in the WSL, Manchester United generated 74% of its revenue through commercial partnerships, while Arsenal earned 58% of its revenue from matchday income after a number of sellout matches at the Emirates Stadium.

Clarke says that has led to a "test and learn, start-up culture" in women's football, with "room for experimentation both on and off the pitch."

"We have always said the women's game should not just copy the template of the men's game and this proves that point perfectly, with the men's game having to diversify for financial sustainability now they cannot rely on central broadcast contracts," said Clarke.

"The women's game has always had to think about their business model differently. That could be rethinking the matchday experience for the women's football fan, who may be more tech savvy for example, or in terms of the support the players and backroom staff have.

"In this digital age, that fanbase is going to stay with it now and will demand more from women's football. So I expect it to continue moving and adapting because that is the way it has always had to grow from the ground up."

PositionClub2022-23 revenue (£m)
1Barcelona11.6 (13.4m euros)
2Manchester United7 (8m euros)
3Real Madrid6.5 (7.4m euros)
4Manchester City4.6 (5.3m euros)
5Arsenal4.6 (5.3m euros)
6Chelsea3.5 (4.1m euros)
7Paris St-Germain3.2 (3.7m euros)
8Eintracht Frankfurt3.1 (3.6m euros)
9Bayern Munich2.7 (3.1m euros)
10Tottenham2.3 (2.6m euros)
11Liverpool1.8 (2.1m euros)
12Benfica1.3 1.5m euros)
13Everton1.1 (1.3m euros)
14West Ham1.1 (1.2m euros)
15Juventus1 (1.2m euros)

For non-British clubs Deloitte has used an average exchange rate for the year ending 30 June 2023 (€1 = GBP 0.87; €1 = BRL 5.4; €1 = USD 1.05).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Around half a million, which is a world record fee I believe.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
NewCo's chief exec, Nikki Doucet, had been doing press interviews this week. Not very informative, but we know a bit about what they are going to do immediately. Immediately meaning in time to take control of the 24/25 league schedule.

They are maintaining the current size and promotion/relegation structure for WSL and the Championship. They are negotiating with broadcasters over the next round of TV rights. They are "exploring" the possibility of getting themselves exempted from the 3pm Saturday broadcast blackout.

What we don't know is what's going to change - except the marketing buzzword soup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68097460

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Did ye see the Benfica/Barca game today? I saw the highlights and it looked great fun. I’m not going to spoil it for anyone. Look it up on YouTube.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Did ye see the Benfica/Barca game today? I saw the highlights and it looked great fun. I’m not going to spoil it for anyone. Look it up on YouTube.
This is the WSL thread but TBF the only WCL thread is tucked away in the United Forum and it's a good shout as I Just watched and it's a thriller indeed

Benfica were even hard done by as their disallowed goal was actually onside

Good to see our own Lucy Bronze heavily involved

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Predictably - City won 2-0 against Leicester.
Less predictably - Arsenal lost 2-1 against West Ham.

That still leaves Arsenal 4 points ahead of us, but still, it gives us a glimmer of a possibility. League season still alive - at least in terms of getting a WCL qualification place.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Predictably - City won 2-0 against Leicester.
Less predictably - Arsenal lost 2-1 against West Ham.

That still leaves Arsenal 4 points ahead of us, but still, it gives us a glimmer of a possibility. League season still alive - at least in terms of getting a WCL qualification place.
We have to win some of the 6 pointers - playing Arsenal in 2 weeks !

Lightbringer

The only good thing for worldwide exposure would be if DAZN won it and showed it for free for a couple of years all over the world to grow the game as they do with other womens leagues!

If the its showed on Sky Sports, what would change as its already free on the FA-player? Just getting on regular TV so folks can watch it without having go through a website?

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The only good thing for worldwide exposure would be if DAZN won it and showed it for free for a couple of years all over the world to grow the game as they do with other womens leagues!

If the its showed on Sky Sports, what would change as its already free on the FA-player? Just getting on regular TV so folks can watch it without having go through a website?
Which leagues do DAZN show for free?

At the moment in UK I think Sky show 2 matches a week and BBC get 1 match - only the rest are on FA Player for free.
I have no idea about access in other countries.

Lightbringer

Which leagues do DAZN show for free?

At the moment in UK I think Sky show 2 matches a week and BBC get 1 match - only the rest are on FA Player for free.
I have no idea about access in other countries.

DAZN removes paywall for all women's football matches including Champions League
17 January 2024

Broadcaster DAZN says it has removed the paywall from all live women's football matches on the platform, to help promote the women's game.

Its New Deal for Women's Football campaign has been introduced to help boost investment and make the women's game financially sustainable.

The Women's Champions League is among the competitions to become free to air.

"The women's game has significant commercial potential," said DAZN's co-CEO of women's sport, Hannah Brown.

The New Deal campaign is calling for clubs, sponsors, media and broadcasters and rights holders to get involved and "come together to build a major global commercial sport".

Without that, "a golden opportunity to accelerate growth is lost," Brown warned.

As well as the Women's Champions League, which English club Chelsea are still in, top-flight matches in Spain, Germany, France, Italy and Saudi Arabia are among those to be broadcast for free.

"We are committed to fostering and cultivating fandom for women's football," said Esmeralda Negron, co-CEO of women's sport at DAZN.

"Women's football needs investment to realise its potential - developing a first-party relationship with fans across all demographics to scale its audience and become commercially viable".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68006552

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
DAZN removes paywall for all women's football matches including Champions League
17 January 2024

Broadcaster DAZN says it has removed the paywall from all live women's football matches on the platform, to help promote the women's game.

Its New Deal for Women's Football campaign has been introduced to help boost investment and make the women's game financially sustainable.

The Women's Champions League is among the competitions to become free to air.

"The women's game has significant commercial potential," said DAZN's co-CEO of women's sport, Hannah Brown.

The New Deal campaign is calling for clubs, sponsors, media and broadcasters and rights holders to get involved and "come together to build a major global commercial sport".

Without that, "a golden opportunity to accelerate growth is lost," Brown warned.

As well as the Women's Champions League, which English club Chelsea are still in, top-flight matches in Spain, Germany, France, Italy and Saudi Arabia are among those to be broadcast for free.

"We are committed to fostering and cultivating fandom for women's football," said Esmeralda Negron, co-CEO of women's sport at DAZN.

"Women's football needs investment to realise its potential - developing a first-party relationship with fans across all demographics to scale its audience and become commercially viable".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68006552
I knew they showed WCL but didn't realise they had all those leagues for free too

While it's great to have access for free, the Women's game is going to need to be commercially viable to grow so unfortunately the free options are likely to decrease

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Khadija Shaw scored for City after 15 minutes. Nice work from Jess Park to nick the ball and a good pass to Shaw to set up the chance. First half was mostly City's though Chelsea could have had a penalty.

I missed most of the second half but it's been all Chelsea since I switched it back on - but they haven't turned it into a goal. Deep into added time now.

FT: Chelsea 0-1 City
City level on points with Chelsea at the top now, but a goal behind them on GD - they're definitely the in-form team though.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Khadija Shaw scored for City after 15 minutes. Nice work from Jess Park to nick the ball and a good pass to Shaw to set up the chance. First half was mostly City's though Chelsea could have had a penalty.

I missed most of the second half but it's been all Chelsea since I switched it back on - but they haven't turned it into a goal. Deep into added time now.

FT: Chelsea 0-1 City
City level on points with Chelsea at the top now, but a goal behind them on GD - they're definitely the in-form team though.
It's a huge win for City seeing as Chelsea haven't lost at home for 3 YEARS!

Fingers crossed for another away win in the big game today

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bloody hell, another ACL. With Kerr already out for the season, and now Fishel out, the Mayra Ramires signing which initially seemed like overkill now feels like an extremely crucial bit of business.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In more positive ACL, this was pretty cool to see. Almost 2 years out. Scores on her first game back, which also happens to be her Chelsea debut,

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nice after 2 years out

BTW @WeePat Emma Hayes was on Fantasy Football League this week, worth a watch - she's great and going to be a big miss for you

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So with Sam Kerr out of action with an ACL injury, I didn't really expect her to pop up in the headlines until we were seeing videos of her doing her rehab physio stuff. I certainly hadn't expected her to pop up charged with "racially aggravated harassment" of a police officer.

She is pleading not guilty - trial set for next year.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What a waste of time - it's taken over a year to bring this charge and will take another year before it gets to court

don't the CPS have more important things to be dealing with?!