WSL 2023-2024 | NewCo | Matchday Chat

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Below WSL comes the WSL Championship and below that comes the regionalised Women's National League structure. The WNL clubs have their own WNLeague Cup with 72 competing teams.

The final of the FAWNL Cup was played on Saturday at Kenilworth Road (Luton Town's ground) and attracted 3719 fans, mostly travelling fans of the two finalists. It ended up:
Hashtag United 2-1 Newcastle United.

The two finalists currently play at the same level in the women's football pyramid - Newcastle are top of WNL Premier North and Hashtag United are second in the WNL Premier South.

Newcastle United are now a (more or less) pro team and are expected to get promoted to the Championship this year. Hashtag United are an amateur team, their mens team play in the Isthmian League.

Or as they put it:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Merseyside derby ends in a goalless draw.

Chelsea beat West Ham 0-2 - led by a single goal for most of the match, West Ham had a goal disallowed that should have stood. Chelsea got a second goal in the 88th minute to finish the game off.

Villa v Arsenal match is kicking off 45 minutes late due to Arsenal hitting travel problems. Not a great look for them coming immediately after the screwup over a kit clash at Chelsea last week.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Below WSL comes the WSL Championship and below that comes the regionalised Women's National League structure. The WNL clubs have their own WNLeague Cup with 72 competing teams.

The final of the FAWNL Cup was played on Saturday at Kenilworth Road (Luton Town's ground) and attracted 3719 fans, mostly travelling fans of the two finalists. It ended up:
Hashtag United 2-1 Newcastle United.

The two finalists currently play at the same level in the women's football pyramid - Newcastle are top of WNL Premier North and Hashtag United are second in the WNL Premier South.

Newcastle United are now a (more or less) pro team and are expected to get promoted to the Championship this year. Hashtag United are an amateur team, their mens team play in the Isthmian League.

Or as they put it:
Always nice to see an underdog story, although Newcastle will no doubt find their way to the WSL before too long.

Virtually impossible for the teams without a strong Men's team to compete with the money that comes from those who do.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Only two matches today:
Liverpool 1-4 City
Villa 2-2 Leicester

City go back to the top of WSL (they were second to Chelsea on GD) and do their GD a bit of good. It also means United can go to fourth place, ahead of Liverpool, if they win tomorrow.

Tomorrow:
United v Everton
West Ham v Brighton

Not many matches this weekend because Chelsea and Arsenal are in the WSL Cup final on Sunday - kickoff at 3pm at Molineux - live on BBC2.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Frida Maanum, of Arsenal, just collapsed on the pitch at Molineux. Whatever happened it was off the ball and sudden. The paramedics and club medical teams ran to her.

She's just been carried off on a stretcher, no information yet on what happened or how she is. Hopefully the fact that the game has restarted is a positive sign.

Whistle blown for the end of ordinary time now as it has ended up 0-0. Match will go to extra time now.

The Arsenal players look a bit lost out there at the moment.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Maanum was apparently on oxygen as she was stretchered off the pitch, but that in itself doesn't tell you much except she was breathing (which is obviously good news)

The BBC say there's now been some reassurance from the medical crew too - she's conscious, talking and stable. Which sounds like the best news possible.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hope she’s okay. That was scary. Good news that she’s stable and conscious.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What happened? Didn't follow any of the final

Saw video of Hayes shoving Eidevall post match - seemed like sour grapes but I don't know the context
He almost squared up to Cuthbert for a moment during the game. My guess is some shit was said in the heat of the moment that Hayes deemed beyond the acceptable line.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A row about a throw-in apparently.

According to Eidevall: "We had a discussion before the game if both teams are going to play with a multi-ball system and Chelsea said they wanted to play with one ball and we said we wanted to play with multi-ball then in the last few minutes, they took another ball and I only said 'Before the game, you wanted to play with one ball'."

Trouble is according to the Chelsea bench he didn't "only say" he did the whole "getting in their face" thing with Erin Cuthbert.

I'd assume it was a non-event or just a wild exaggeration but I remember him at LSV and him having a screaming fit at a United player.

City's coach accused him of attempting to bully the fourth official on the touchline at the Arsenal/City game in November.

So, hmmm, yeah - I reckon he's got previous, whether he thinks he's being obnoxious or abusive or not.

RedDevilQuebecois

But since all eyes are on this particular piece of video footage, what are the odds that the FA will punish Hayes with a hefty fine or even more?

Seriously, doing such shenanigans after the final whistle is not what you want to tolerate at all. And even if Eidevall has some previous history of saying things to opposing players or to officials, there is a reason why the 4th official is paid to do a policing job between the 2 technical areas.

Until further notice, Emma Hayes looks to be more than a bad loser based on optics. That would fall under the category of embarrassing-to-your-community loser.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hayes has always struck me as up her own arse anyway, every interview it's about what she has done, what she is doing, what she is capable of and maybe a little bit about the team.

The arsenal fella looks like he loves himself and looks to have previous.

Hayes however using the "male aggression" line is just a way of her trying to win some quick points with people willing to be outraged. She's the one running about giving people little shoves because they ruined her dreams of winning everything this season.

Its all a lot about nothing, managers have little comings together all the time. Mourinho, Arteta, Klopp all masters at it.

A nothing story which is taking away from the Arsenal win, and also the medical emergency in the game.

whitbyviking

Any update on the medical emergency?

A bit embarrassing from both really, Eidevall shouldn’t be shouting at players the way he does and Hayes shouldn’t be acting the way she does.

One thing I would say is that not one woman on that pitch, or in either squad, or most likely in the league would be scared of Eidevall. They’d all give as good as they get. Hayes is looking for an easy excuse there and she’ll know herself the women in the league have far more agency to deal with Eidevall or anyone else screaming at them in a match, give them some credit instead of hiding behind them for your dodgy actions.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Off topic but Russo’s decision has been justified in the end, we are just not in the same league.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Any update on the medical emergency?

A bit embarrassing from both really, Eidevall shouldn’t be shouting at players the way he does and Hayes shouldn’t be acting the way she does.

One thing I would say is that not one woman on that pitch, or in either squad, or most likely in the league would be scared of Eidevall. They’d all give as good as they get. Hayes is looking for an easy excuse there and she’ll know herself the women in the league have far more agency to deal with Eidevall or anyone else screaming at them in a match, give them some credit instead of hiding behind them for your dodgy actions.
It's reported that she was able to travel back to London with the team and their medical staff last night. No update on what happened yet but good news that she didn't have to go directly to A&E.

You're right about the reaction of the women players - this is the incident at LSV I mentioned. Martha Thomas is having none of it and the United players (led by the Manc mob - Toone, Zelem, Turner) are soon on top of the situation :smirk:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Hayes has always struck me as up her own arse anyway, every interview it's about what she has done, what she is doing, what she is capable of and maybe a little bit about the team.

The arsenal fella looks like he loves himself and looks to have previous.

Hayes however using the "male aggression" line is just a way of her trying to win some quick points with people willing to be outraged. She's the one running about giving people little shoves because they ruined her dreams of winning everything this season.

Its all a lot about nothing, managers have little comings together all the time. Mourinho, Arteta, Klopp all masters at it.

A nothing story which is taking away from the Arsenal win, and also the medical emergency in the game.
Yeah, not a great look from either manager really. That said, I do get where Emma's coming from, a manager having a go at another team's player is one of those lines you're not supposed to cross.

I can't help but see the "male aggression" line as playing to the crowd but it's true that the optics of big bloke has a go at small woman are pretty bad - he's certainly left himself open to that attack.

Maybe Hayes will get a post-match red card and she can sit at home (or in the coach outside) to watch the WFA Cup semifinal with United next week :D

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's reported that she was able to travel back to London with the team and their medical staff last night. No update on what happened yet but good news that she didn't have to go directly to A&E.

You're right about the reaction of the women players - this is the incident at LSV I mentioned. Martha Thomas is having none of it and the United players (led by the Manc mob - Toone, Zelem, Turner) are soon on top of the situation :smirk:

What a dickhead

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'll be surprised if Hayes doesn't get punished for this shove - definitely sour grapes

Not a fan of Eidevall, but he got a yellow card already which seems about right

Load of nonsense over a throw in

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Great news she didn't have to go to A&E but very strange too. I'd have expected A&E even as a precaution but I suppose the staff and equipment available at stadiums these days is pretty high level.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Some info for those wondering what the 'NewCo' bit of the subject is:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68703891

Nikki Doucet, CEO of NewCo which is taking over the top two divisions of English women's football from next season, tells BBC Sport's Jo Currie about the independent company's plans to revolutionise the leagues.

lysglimt

Scout
I'll be surprised if Hayes doesn't get punished for this shove - definitely sour grapes

Not a fan of Eidevall, but he got a yellow card already which seems about right

Load of nonsense over a throw in
Imagine a guy doing the same thing to a female manager - there would be women screaming for him to be banned for life

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Imagine a guy doing the same thing to a female manager - there would be women screaming for him to be banned for life
I think everyone would be asking for a ban in that situation, not just women! Hayes really should be punished for this - a manager just can't do that to another manager even if she thinks it's justified

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
If she'd refused to shake hands a lot of WSL fans would be on her side. That said, on this occasion (unlike some previous ones involving Eidevall) I'm not seeing a lot of "male aggression" in that scene with Erin Cuthbert that's supposed to have kicked things off. Hayes just looks like a sore loser making excuses for her own misconduct.

I can imagine a retrospective red card being delivered. I'm not sure she'll see a touchline ban - but she should. I suspect we'll hear the FA do the mitigation speeches for her - she doesn't have any history of picking up yellow/red cards as a manager.

it'll be interesting to hear what Wiegman has to say when she does her England press conference - if of course, the FA lets the reporters ask.

lysglimt

Scout
I think everyone would be asking for a ban in that situation, not just women! Hayes really should be punished for this - a manager just can't do that to another manager even if she thinks it's justified
The difference is - when Hayes did it, she might get banned for the action (but probably wont). If a guy did it to a female manager - the headlines would be much harsher.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The difference is - when Hayes did it, she might get banned for the action (but probably wont). If a guy did it to a female manager - the headlines would be much harsher.

She's very lucky - bare minimum deserved a 1 game touchline ban

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hayes being a sore loser is well documented at this point. She hates losing, especially to Arsenal. I think aside from the winning, Arsenal Women are the club Hayes would like Chelsea Women to be. They're the one club that have cultivated the best culture around their women's team. She takes extra joy in winning against them and it’s quite a big bitter pill for her to swallow when she loses finals to them.

She overstepped the mark there for sure. She’s lucky not get some kind of punishment for that shove.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
She's the female version of Klopp.

- looks homeless 90% of the time
- sore loser
- media up her arse
- thinks she's 100x smarter than everyone else
- makes shite up hoping to get everyone on her side
- colossal bellend.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Mini update on Frida Maanum. Not surprisingly she has spent the week being monitored by Arsenal's doctors - but so far, they don't know what happened. Cardiac exams and monitoring so far haven't picked up anything that can account for her collapse during the Final.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68734460
It's crazy how they don't know. Just shows how weird the human body is tbh.

Lightbringer

I just watched Barcelona-Chelsea and Ramirez outrunning newly subbed Barcelona players in minute 75 like it was a cake walk.

Has Ramirez a DNA advantage or something? She looks kind of like a man, and she runs and plays like a man!

I dont want to be disrespectful, but I think the question needs to be asked.

I literally said in the FA-cup final that Ramirez looked like a women playing against girls teams in terms of physical ability!

When I see her play, I ask the question, how can you actually beat that somone thats so much stronger and faster?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I see just one thread of @Lightbringer accusing Ramirez of being a man wasn't enough for him. Had to copy the post into another thread too. Again, :lol: kin ell