WSL 22/23 | Arsenal v United - Sat 19 Nov at 5:30pm

Gordon S

That was a fun game! Russo is a fecking tank! Best nr 9 at the club!

El Zoido

Spicy at the top of the table isn’t it. Reckon we might break that top three.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Great first half - crap 2nd half until the late rally which I really didn't expect

Outstanding win - is it too much to say this is the biggest win in MUWomen history?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
That was a nice game to watch with a positive result. Russo was fantastic all game with her running and holdup play. Reminds me how much we need a centre forward in the men's team.

Puskas_007

Amazing mentality to come back after the nature of the equalizer at the start of the second half, well deserved despite being shell-shocked for quite a bit of the second half!

Vanrouge

Enjoyable game. Good performances all round, but I love watching Toone and Russo in particular.

Edited to add: for anyone interested, this game was shown live on Canadian sports channel Sportsnet, so it was nice to finally watch a game on my TV. But it also shows how established the women's game is now, that a large network across the Atlantic chose to air it.

redshaw

Amazing win away to Arsenal. Could be huge mentally to dislodge the status quo.

Sultan

Enjoyable game. Good performances all round, but I love watching Toone and Russo in particular.

Edited to add: for anyone interested, this game was shown live on Canadian sports channel Sportsnet, so it was nice to finally watch a game on my TV. But it also shows how established the women's game is now, that a large network across the Atlantic chose to air it.
Russo's contract is running out and seems she's not signing an extension.

phelans shorts

Russo's contract is running out and seems she's not signing an extension.
I actually got a good impression in the post match interviews, with her talking about loving the fans home and away, saying how much she’s enjoying her football and then Skinner saying how important she is.

Obviously could just be empty words but it’s left me feeling as positive as I have in a while about the chances of keeping her

Sultan

I actually got a good impression in the post match interviews, with her talking about loving the fans home and away, saying how much she’s enjoying her football and then Skinner saying how important she is.

Obviously could just be empty words but it’s left me feeling as positive as I have in a while about the chances of keeping her
Let's hope you're right. The manager was asked the question if Russo will be staying. He simply answered, "I hope so".

Sweet Square

Just came home from the match. Could only get a ticket in the posh Arsenal end(The Emirates is a insanely good stadium in term of quality)

But anyways United were a level above. Their overall style of play and the ability to control the tempo was too much for Arsenal.

Great performance.

Glorio

That was a fun game! Russo is a fecking tank! Best nr 9 at the club!
She's so good Russo. In those inexplicable 9 plus mins the ref gave at the end she was still full of running, taking it to the corner flag

croadyman

What a result and just might be that turning point against the top 3 for us,depends on how we get on in next top 3 clash at City in December.

Corey

Nice to see. Women's football is is definitely becoming more popular here too. I live in Arsenal and there were loads of people in my local pub watching the game.

Terry Chango

Just back from the game and what an experience for my first WSL United match.

Girls deserved more than a 1-0 lead at HT and the response from them after going 2-1 down was brilliant and at 2-2 I loved the fact they went looking for that winner.

£12 match ticket, some petrol, 40,000 fans and great entertainment.

Great value for money and brilliant to get the three points.

Russo was almost unplayable at times as the 9 and Paris had a stormer back at the emirates.

Last edited:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
What a result and just might be that turning point against the top 3 for us,depends on how we get on in next top 3 clash at City in December.
I do think that we think we can beat city and arsenal because we have done it before. Whereas with Chelsea we just lose faith.

Coming back like we did today is so good for the future.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Great result, and it sounds like a good performance as well. I'm hopeful that this result will give the players the confidence to actually 'perform' against the top three, which I've felt they haven't really done in the league.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I do think that we think we can beat city and arsenal because we have done it before. Whereas with Chelsea we just lose faith.

Coming back like we did today is so good for the future.
We should have got something in the Chelsea game. We matched them in the first half and then just folded in the second. Just a draw would have had us top and unbeaten at this stage.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It’s very possible I’m just hearing what I want to hear. We desperately need her to stay, hopefully Polly has made it one of her top priorities.
Where's she gonna go though? She ain't gonna go Arsenal as they have Miedema, Blakstenius and Mead and she ain't gonna go Chelsea as they have James, Kerr and Kirby. Only option is City or abroad and it wouldn't make sense going to City.

croadyman

Great result, and it sounds like a good performance as well. I'm hopeful that this result will give the players the confidence to actually 'perform' against the top three, which I've felt they haven't really done in the league.
Like the poster above has said Chelsea is still a big hurdle to overcome,also confident as we might be about beating City we still haven't done it yet.

croadyman

Girls deserved more than a 1-0 lead at HT and the response from them after going 2-1 down was brilliant and at 2-2 I loved the fact they went looking for that winner.

Russo was almost unplayable at times as the 9 and Paris had a stormer back at the emirates.
Nikita was partly at fault for equaliser when she ran into trouble,mind you we didn't help ourselves backing off the shot

Grande

What a great game! Tight, hard fought, Wenger wouldn’t have much love for this muscle dominated Gunners team, but they seemed to have out-lucked our girls. But what a finish! Four chances gave two goals in the run in, not a shock that Zelem’s set piece accuracy turned out to be crucial.

Ladd and Zelem where very good for me, Turner and Le Tissier in front of Earps makes for a good lock, and I was impressed by Parris hard work both ways. What a smashing three points!

Grande

We should have got something in the Chelsea game. We matched them in the first half and then just folded in the second. Just a draw would have had us top and unbeaten at this stage.
That kind of confidence and resilience against the top teams is often the last climb in raising to the level of the top teams. Turning 1-2 into 3-2 in five minutes in front of 40 000 at Arsenal, will be invaliable experience in that regard!

phelans shorts

Where's she gonna go though? She ain't gonna go Arsenal as they have Miedema, Blakstenius and Mead and she ain't gonna go Chelsea as they have James, Kerr and Kirby. Only option is City or abroad and it wouldn't make sense going to City.
She could easily still go to Arsenal or Chelsea, and that’s just in this country. Open it up to abroad (maybe back to the US? Unfinished business) or just one of the European big boys and there’s lots of options for a player as good as Russo.

The longer this season goes on and we’re playing well with her performing especially the more chance we have of keeping her, but she’s not going to be short of offers if we don’t give her the kind of contract she deserves. She has all the makings of an absolute megastar.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
She could easily still go to Arsenal or Chelsea, and that’s just in this country. Open it up to abroad (maybe back to the US? Unfinished business) or just one of the European big boys and there’s lots of options for a player as good as Russo.

The longer this season goes on and we’re playing well with her performing especially the more chance we have of keeping her, but she’s not going to be short of offers if we don’t give her the kind of contract she deserves. She has all the makings of an absolute megastar.
If she was to go to Arsenal, I'd swap her for Blakstenius. She's perfectly suited to the way we play.

Glorio

Just saw the post match interview with Toone and Turner. Turner's a bit of a nutter is isn't she? Couldn't contain herself :lol:

croadyman

Yeah definitely fear losing her if we don’t get that third Champions League spot