WSL 22/23 | Chelsea v United - 12:30 Sun 12 March

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sunday then. Ok, this is big, so far it's always been too big for us. It's not that they always hammer us in terms of the overall match, but they've always been good enough to show us that we're not up there with the top teams yet. Last time we played them they won 3-1 but we had no Russo and no Batlle that day...

Still, they're not invincible - Arsenal were worth their 3-1 win over them in the WSL Cup final last weekend. Chelsea play Brighton on Wednesday, if they win they'll be one point behind us with a game in hand. Emma Hayes described her team as complacent after the Cup final defeat. I doubt they'll be complacent when they play us.

For our part, it looks like we've remembered how to score after a couple of flat performances. A win would make it hard to ignore the fact that we're top of the league. A draw would leave us in control of our own CL place fate. A defeat puts us into a real top three dogfight.

United. P14. Pt35
City. P14 Pt32
Chelsea. P12. Pt31
Arsenal P12. Pt26

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Chelsea are playing tomorrow Vs Brighton as well. Wonder if they will play full strength in that. I can’t understand why they didn’t have this game at SB

Gordon S

Oops. Not sure why I did that, especially given I wrote they'll be only one point behind us (and with a game in hand) if they beat Brighton tonight.

Just checking people are awake :wenger:
Was hoping 28points was correct somehow… That buffer would have been nice

croadyman

Unsurprisingly, Arsenal beat Liverpool and Chelsea beat Brighton tonight. So here's the WSL table now:

It's tough at the top.
How many points do we have to take realistically from Chelsea, City and Arsenal to have chance

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
How many points do we have to take realistically from Chelsea, City and Arsenal to have chance
I'm going to go all in and say 9 to win the league - though if we beat Chelsea, mathematically we "only" need 4 from Arsenal/City, provided we beat everybody else.

If we win our other matches - which will include aways at Villa (who are playing well) and Liverpool (who would love to spoil the party on the final game of the season) - so it's a big if. Then to get a top three spot, it's probably 4 points in total from the big three. That's based on the fact that those teams are going to be facing each other as well, so they can't all get maximum points :smirk:

I've not done the maths - it would be great if somebody did!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just realised the Men kick off before this finishes, which is annoying

They should try to avoid clashes of fixtures for teams from the same club as surely many want to watch both

croadyman

I'm going to go all in and say 9 to win the league - though if we beat Chelsea, mathematically we "only" need 4 from Arsenal/City, provided we beat everybody else.

If we win our other matches - which will include aways at Villa (who are playing well) and Liverpool (who would love to spoil the party on the final game of the season) - so it's a big if. Then to get a top three spot, it's probably 4 points in total from the big three. That's based on the fact that those teams are going to be facing each other as well, so they can't all get maximum points :smirk:

I've not done the maths - it would be great if somebody did!
No way are we gonna take 9,so think IF we can end ONE of our hoodoo's and avoid defeat against other two we have a shot. Only IF Chelsea fail to beat either City or Arsenal though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's scheduled to be on BBC2 and FAPlayer. Apparently the BBC camera and broadcast link trucks are on site - but current guess is that it'll go out with no pundits/commentary etc. They may use the FAPlayer commentary (which is often dire!) but it's all a bit of an unknown.
Yeap. shocking.

Zoo

Can barely hear the world feed commentator.

Erics_Collar

Pardon my ignorance, but how did United go from not having a women's team, to contending for the title so fast?

Did we just throw money at the team straight away, or was it strong and shrude recruitment? I'm assuming the brand name helped attract names?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Pardon my ignorance, but how did United go from not having a women's team, to contending for the title so fast?

Did we just throw money at the team straight away, or was it strong and shrude recruitment? I'm assuming the brand name helped attract names?
We spend less than half of what the Big 3 spend.

RORY65

Earps has saved United twice already, we're having a lot of the ball but no real threat and they've got Kerr in too easily.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Good recruitment from the off when we were in the championship including former United youth returning (Katie Zelem, Ella Toone), players who have played in the Champions League previously and since (Alex Greenwood, Jackie Groenen) and immensely talented youngsters who were unlikely to stay here long but were a big help in establishing us as a WSL side before leaving (Lauren James).

Brand name obviously helped. We don't spend as much as the big three but we've been able to attract players from top level who have won silverware and have pushed us on.

The_Order

Chelsea ladies taking advantage of our women's high line.

Thank goodness for Mary Earps.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Le Tissier has been such a good signing for United. Gives us composure and confidence when in possession. Future England starter.

RORY65

Brilliant finish by Kerr after a terrific ball by James, it had been coming.