g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WSL 23/24 | chat - but mostly United miscellaneous

Lightbringer

Looks like she's been given a week off.

Haha, thats not good. I planned to watch her next game to assess her work. I´ve seen so much bad stuff written about her the last days that became so curious I would watch any game she is in charge of.

I guess they want to protect her this week while emotions are still running high.

From the highlights I´ve seen from City-Chelsea I cant say I have seen evidence that she is a total disaster though. The Greenwood sending off was what caused in total 4-5 bookings for dissent cuz City players was outraged.If not for those its only 4-5 yellows which all seemed pretty much correct.

madi5h

so it would seem the club are admitting they were at fault for the recent failures in contracts and whoever was in charge got the boot or demoted....
what a sad state this club is in :(

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's a good thing, they've acknowledged it was an area that needed a lot of improvement. The problem has been a lack of clear responsibility and ownership.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
so it would seem the club are admitting they were at fault for the recent failures in contracts and whoever was in charge got the boot or demoted....
what a sad state this club is in :(
I think there was a lack of focus at a critical moment. The new head of women's football had been appointed but didn't actually arrive until the end of October.

England won the Euros in front of big crowds and with Mary, Ella and Alessia in starring roles. At a time when we needed to react fast, we didn't. I think primarily because we didn't have anyone focused on the women's team who had the authority to take a decision or authorise any budget changes.

Sharing the skills and experience with the men's structure sounds fine until you think about what else was happening to the men's team - new manager, signings made late in the window, Ronaldo's exit and even Greenwood's suspension all happened in that key period.

I doubt there was much spare negotiating, or strategic planning, budgeting or marketing capacity at the time thinking about how to cash in on the surge in attention and how it was going to change contract negotiations. I doubt they noticed they had a problem until Arsenal offered us 500k for Russo.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Race row breaks out over Arsenal Women's team photo after fans criticise 'shocking' and 'concerning' lack of diversity in all-white squad

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...diversity-white-squad-difficult-root-for.html
Though it's currently the most extreme example in WSL (and surprising given they recruit internationally) there's a general problem with the women's game in England. United and England for example, at least in terms of starting XI's, haven't been that different in recent years.

As usual multiple factors to look at including stereotyping, racism masquerading as banter and lack of cultural understanding, but that doesn't seem to be the whole story. What's odd is that both the England team and Arsenal's were more diverse a decade or so ago.

It looks like the push to develop women's football - with extra funding at the junior level to improve coaching/facilities may have come at a price. The new centres of excellence and PL club led Academies creamed off the top young female players - but the facilities they use are often a long way from population centres. The schedules they keep are often hard to fit in with school, homework and public transport.

Any young player whose parents couldn't ferry them to and from training was almost bound to miss sessions, struggle with school, or give up trying and this started happening at a younger age. In effect the talent conveyor belt (that created the current crop of 20-something players) has selected against some kids, but not necessarily on talent.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Though it's currently the most extreme example in WSL (and surprising given they recruit internationally) there's a general problem with the women's game in England. United and England for example, at least in terms of starting XI's, haven't been that different in recent years.

As usual multiple factors to look at including stereotyping, racism masquerading as banter and lack of cultural understanding, but that doesn't seem to be the whole story. What's odd is that both the England team and Arsenal's were more diverse a decade or so ago.

It looks like the push to develop women's football - with extra funding at the junior level to improve coaching/facilities may have come at a price. The new centres of excellence and PL club led Academies creamed off the top young female players - but the facilities they use are often a long way from population centres. The schedules they keep are often hard to fit in with school, homework and public transport.

Any young player whose parents couldn't ferry them to and from training was almost bound to miss sessions, struggle with school, or give up trying and this started happening at a younger age. In effect the talent conveyor belt (that created the current crop of 20-something players) has selected against some kids, but not necessarily on talent.
That"s interesting. If the training centres are further out away from urban areas is it making the women's sport more middle class then?
Surprised re Arsenal though, given their heritage of bringing through young black players.

ForeverRed1

That last paragraph is absolutely a fact.

also random off top question, is Irene G injured? I can’t wait to see her play for United :drool:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Always great how the women are only ever very quick to point out any gender issues within the game but racial inequalities are not that important. I doubt whether we will see any tweets or statements from the Arsenal female players on the matter.

Lightbringer

also random off top question, is Irene G injured? I can’t wait to see her play for United :drool:
She has a small injury, but was fully fit against PSG and fully fit today.

Its been reported Skinner is trying to teach her how to defend properly in England before giving her playing time - and thats straight from Skinner.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Russo not having the expected impact in an Arsenal shirt. You love to see it.

ForeverRed1

She has a small injury, but was fully fit against PSG and fully fit today.

Its been reported Skinner is trying to teach her how to defend properly in England before giving her playing time - and thats straight from Skinner.

hmmmm, wonder how she feels about that. World Cup winning footballer and captain. Interesting take.

Lightbringer

Horrible day this, Arsenal was done and out and then Villa gave everything away!

Ubik

At least Grace Clinton's having a great start to her season

voyasvirta

Villa have now lost all 3 games in the WSL, and 2 of them in injury time.

Ubik

She should definitely get some chances, and Earps hasn't been close to her best form so far, but was also probably the reason we didn't concede more in the first leg to PSG and didn't lose to Arsenal. Knowing Skinner it'll be a case of league/cup again.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well that’s a genuine shocker.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Real shame of she ends up in USA rather than Lionesses but looks like that's where she's going

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
If the speculation is right she'll become the best paid female coach in football and the best paid coach in the women's game, if she takes over the US women's team. Chelsea are expected to waive their compensation right as long as she stays to the end of the season.

Following Casey? Understandable that it’s tempting.
Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see Casey take over at Chelsea.

Grande

If the speculation is right she'll become the best paid female coach in football and the best paid coach in the women's game, if she takes over the US women's team. Chelsea are expected to waive their compensation right as long as she stays to the end of the season.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see Casey take over at Chelsea.
That would hurt a lot, even if she played for them both as a kid and as a grown up.

Lightbringer

Arsenal are the luckiest team alive, they could have had 6 points less if they have not scored goals in extra time several games and now this gift!

Lightbringer

Think draw would have been ideal reault
Both teams are proper cnuts. But now it will be extra-hard to reach the top 4! Arsenal have been gifted a way back in it sadly!

The WSL is the most competitive league in the world when it comes to top 3 UCL qualy places.

Last edited: