WSL 23/24 | chat - but mostly United miscellaneous

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was tempted to start a matchday thread but knew you wouldn't let us down.

Obviously I want us to win, but it good preparation for the second half of the season, whatever the result.

Good to see Irene back.
I knew we were going to play PSV today but I hadn't seen it was live on MUTV until it was underway. You're welcome to put up a matchday thread when I'm being slow :D

Match still 1-1. We're looking the stronger team.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Last minute winner for Parris in the fourth minute of added time. And they do it with Toone down with a head injury. Ref didn't blow, we scored.

Toone ok - but got a hit in the face. Looks like she'll have a bruise in the morning but hopefully nothing more.

FT United win 2-1

FlexoRodriguez

Could be, can only imagine how happy Arsenal are about that. It’s mad how ACLs just keep on coming in the women’s game.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
was looking for the MUWomen random chat thread - this is it, right?!

Anyway I posted the full article about the Deloitte Money League and womens football in the Football Forum thread:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wsl-2023-2024-newco-matchday-chat.480350/post-31572653

But here is the table showing our revenue vs other clubs

How are we that far above Arsenal and Chelsea? Seems crazy given how established they are in the women's game and in European football, and I'm sure they both play more games at the Emirates and Stamford Bridge than we do at Old Trafford.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
How are we that far above Arsenal and Chelsea? Seems crazy given how established they are in the women's game and in European football, and I'm sure they both play more games at the Emirates and Stamford Bridge than we do at Old Trafford.
There is some detail in the main article I linked - I have no idea how they account for Womens commercial revenue vs the Mens as obviously they wear the same shirts with same sponsors etc

" Manchester United generated 74% of its revenue through commercial partnerships, while Arsenal earned 58% of its revenue from matchday income after a number of sellout matches at the Emirates Stadium."

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There is some detail in the main article I linked - I have no idea how they account for Womens commercial revenue vs the Mens as obviously they wear the same shirts with same sponsors etc

" Manchester United generated 74% of its revenue through commercial partnerships, while Arsenal earned 58% of its revenue from matchday income after a number of sellout matches at the Emirates Stadium."
I'm a dope. That makes sense, though like you said the commercial side is tougher to work out the split for. As far as I know we don't have specific sponsors just for the women's side.

Demon Barber

I'm a dope. That makes sense, though like you said the commercial side is tougher to work out the split for. As far as I know we don't have specific sponsors just for the women's side.
I'm pretty sure that Estée Lauder are linked to the women, but who knows!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Today I was at my child's junior football 5aside match at Armitage Centre and noticed a girls teams playing an 11 aside game nearby in full United away kit

Turned out it was our U14 girls team and they were playing against a full team of boys - standard was better than I expected and it looked a close game

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Phallon the security guard, I love this so much.

Last edited:

Scanny7

Red Café rejoiner here and MUWFC season ticket holder. I live in London so bought the Emirates 5-game ticket bundle this season so I’ve seen more of Arsenal than United live this season. Looking forward to the game on the 17th even if I will be sitting amongst Gooners.

Lightbringer

Unfortunately, that sounds like something Rubiales might say.
Luckily I am not Rubiales and I was speaking about we as United grabbing her from the NWSL and from her team where she was very popular and did really well for.
And with for a while I was referring to the fact that I assume we wont have her for long as most women players move around based on the past. Although we have been starting to sign longer contracts lately and would not mind seeing Phallon stick around for 5+ years.

Not sure if you were joking Demon, but just replied to be safe, felt I needed to clarify that so I wont find myself banned from the CAF :)

Scanny

Red Café rejoiner here (ignore Scanny7 as a couple of excellent people found my old account) and MUWFC season ticket holder. I live in London so bought the Emirates 5-game ticket bundle this season so I’ve seen more of Arsenal than United live this season. Looking forward to the game on the 17th even if I will be sitting amongst Gooners.

Demon Barber

Luckily I am not Rubiales and I was speaking about we as United grabbing her from the NWSL and from her team where she was very popular and did really well for.
And with for a while I was referring to the fact that I assume we wont have her for long as most women players move around based on the past. Although we have been starting to sign longer contracts lately and would not mind seeing Phallon stick around for 5+ years.

Not sure if you were joking Demon, but just replied to be safe, felt I needed to clarify that so I wont find myself banned from the CAF :)
It was purely a joke, Mr Light. I apologise for any concern it may have caused you. Personally I too hope she does stick around.

Lightbringer

It was purely a joke, Mr Light. I apologise for any concern it may have caused you. Personally I too hope she does stick around.
thank godness. I was afraid I was going on Demons block list! And hit by the ban hammer by jojojo :lol:

Demon Barber

Hayley Ladd has just completed her UEFA A coaching qualification.

Well done to her. It's good to see her planning for the future even though she's only 30.

Whilst on Wales, congratulations to Olivia Francis and Mayzee Davies - two of our Academy players who have also been called up to the Welsh squad.

RedDevilQuebecois

Japan won their final qualification match for the Olympics in Paris against North Korea by a score of 2-1.

If everything goes right, it means that Hinata will have recovered and earned enough playing minutes to get back in the national team by summer.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Relucant to believe everything from 'unnamed sources' but if even half of that is true then it's an awful mess

Not that surprising though, just a shame that we didnt build on the great season last year - lots of work for INEOS to do !

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Relucant to believe everything from 'unnamed sources' but if even half of that is true then it's an awful mess

Not that surprising though, just a shame that we didnt build on the great season last year - lots of work for INEOS to do !
Agreed mate, I've read that article and as you say if even half of that is accurate then it's a shambles. What is encouraging though is the fact that Berrada and Ashworth were so instrumental in building excellent women's facilities at City and Brighton so if they can bring that to United for our women's team it's very exciting. But yeah, a hell of a lot of work ahead.