WSL Cup 23/24 | City 2-1 United - FA ruling on Villa means United go out "United disappointed by the rationale"

Lightbringer

Can't comprehend why Skinner sent out a rotation team Vs full strength City

We are struggling now
Tbh I dont think it would have made any difference in the end, City just much better than us atm! They dominated us!

The foundation Marc has built is shaking heavily.

If we go through anyways, we can dust it off in a way of course!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Tbh I dont think it would have made any difference in the end, City just much better than us atm! They dominated us!

The foundation Marc has built is shaking heavily.

If we go through anyways, we can dust it off in a way of course!
They haven't dominated at all! We've created more than enough chances to be winning, but we've been so lacklustre in front of goal, and that's been a problem all season so far.

Lightbringer

Just look at the tables and United will qualify for the knock out round!

Will we get Chelsea and Arsenal or is it a straight up draw regardless of if you won a group or got through as lucky loser?

Lightbringer

They haven't dominated at all! We've created more than enough chances to be winning, but we've been so lacklustre in front of goal, and that's been a problem all season so far.
They have 17-8 in shots, 64% vs 36% ball possession (which is massive) and 2-0 in goals, I would say we have been outplayed and Tullis kept the score down for long!

Lightbringer

Just look at the tables and United will qualify for the knock out round!

Will we get Chelsea and Arsenal or is it a straight up draw regardless of if you won a group or got through as lucky loser?
If its a straight draw without seeding this loss means nothing to us except we handed City a place in the knockout round with us! For Skinner it might make his situation dire though.

1 point from 4 games vs Arsenal, Chelsea and City x2 wont make anyone happy!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We started the first half well and we ended it well. The rest of it has basically been them moving forward as a team and us hoping to do something on the break. Better finishing would have helped - of course - but City's finishing has been far from ruthless.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They have 17-8 in shots, 64% vs 36% ball possession (which is massive) and 2-0 in goals, I would say we have been outplayed and Tullis kept the score down for long!
They have been better and we might still have lost but we had chances and I'm sure a full strength team would have put up a better fight

Lightbringer

Is it possible to rewind with the FA player while you watch to go back and check things a few minutes earlier in the game? When I do that it seems it skips back to live almost immediately. I can never used the FA player outside the league cup so I am not familiar with it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Is it possible to rewind with the FA player while you watch to go back and check things a few minutes earlier in the game? When I do that it seems it skips back to live almost immediately. I can never used the FA player outside the league cup so I am not familiar with it.
I don't think so, it's pretty dumb when it's streaming in my experience. The archived matches are different.

RedRocket9908

Has Marc Skinner taken them as far as he can? They have been well off form this season and have now lost twice to City as well as losing to both Liverpool and Chelsea.

BabySinclair

I'm not allowed to post media....but the news of Kathryn Batte on Twitter are very bad for us.....we are out if Aston Villa have played an inellegible player.

Reactions: Rood

Lightbringer

We better use our big team status and shut this down!

I'm not allowed to post media....but the news of Kathryn Batte on Twitter are very bad for us.....we are out if Aston Villa have played an inellegible player.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Looks like the rules say Villa are likely to get disqualified from the competition for fielding an ineligible player.

That would mean Sunderland top that group and qualify. The new second placed team in that group would be Durham. Durham currently have 7:12 points (United have 9:12) but if their match against Villa is removed from the group League - they'll have 7:9 and that's a better points per match ratio than United.

So hmmm, no idea. Depends on how the rule actually operates :lol:

Of course Spurs could just lose to Southampton tomorrow and we'll get the other runners up spot.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What a mess, crazy that this kind of thing still happens with ineligible players

Villa were already 3 up when she comes on as sub so it's not like they needed her and to make it even worse manager, Carla Ward, was in charge at Birmingham when they had a points deduction for ineligible player !

Lightbringer

Skinner begging in the media.

When will a decision be made on this? Surely they cant allow this to drag on?

Demon Barber

I am not a lawyer, but surely the FA is culpable for allowing an inelligible player to be named on the bench, given that team sheets are submitted in advance?

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This fiasco makes my blood boil. Forget the fact that I spent a fair bit of money and had to endure 10 hours of coach travel to watch a bizarre team selection and limp performance, but now we can be eliminated due to no fault of our own.

I am not a lawyer, but surely the FA is culpable for allowing an inelligible player to be named on the bench, given that team sheets are submitted in advance?
Nah - it's always the fault of the team (can't expect the FA to check every team sheet an hour before kick off), just weird in this day and age that clubs are still seemingly not aware of the rules or failing to do the necessary checks.

You have to question the player too - did she not mention to the club at any point in the match prep that she's already played in this cup?!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is the precedent - the offending team were disqualified and their 3 points removed, but the opposition (Sunderland in this case) did not get any extra points (which they don't deserve since they were thrashed 7-0) and all other group results were unchanged.

Last edited:

Demon Barber

Interesting. Thanks for the response. So, dock points from Villa, Sunderland progress and we do too? Does that work?

Edit: i.e. don't award points to Sunderland. They go through as group winners on 7pts. We go through.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Interesting. Thanks for the response. So, dock points from Villa, Sunderland progress and we do too? Does that work?

Edit: i.e. don't award points to Sunderland. They go through as group winners on 7pts. We go through.
Works for me but who knows what the FA come up with !

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
As expected, Spurs best Southampton this evening and qualify as one of the best runners-up.

This means that United's qualification comes down to the action the FA takes on Villa. The maths of the standard punishments ends up with United going out, so I'm not optimistic. Commonsense on the other hand favours the idea that the sub was irrelevant, but I don't really see that idea flying :smirk:

The FA has announced an investigation is underway and the outcome will be announced "in due course".

The quarter finals are supposed to be played on the 7/8 February.

Lightbringer

As expected, Spurs best Southampton this evening and qualify as one of the best runners-up.

This means that United's qualification comes down to the action the FA takes on Villa. The maths of the standard punishments ends up with United going out, so I'm not optimistic. Commonsense on the other hand favours the idea that the sub was irrelevant, but I don't really see that idea flying :smirk:

The FA has announced an investigation is underway and the outcome will be announced "in due course".

The quarter finals are supposed to be played on the 7/8 February.
What happens if Villa are DQ from the cup entirely as had happened once before? I mean not just forfeit the game 3-0 to Sunderland, if they are wiped out completely from the competition? Does all their games become 3-0 wins for the opposing team? Or do they just lose 3-0 to Sunderland and then all their remaining results are intact, but they are not allowed to progress to the knock out round anyway meaning Sunderland wins the group?

" In a similar case, Reading were removed from the 2014 League Cup and fined £50 after fielding Bonnie Horwood who had made three appearances for Watford earlier in the competition."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/...g2E-sLs10yWiex6JVg34mAeY06xztgaJvM5g9CJ6Mopug

With the way things are going for United all options probably means we are eliminated from the cup!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
What happens if Villa are DQ from the cup entirely as had happened once before? I mean not just forfeit the game 3-0 to Sunderland, if they are wiped out completely from the competition? Does all their games become 3-0 wins for the opposing team? Or do they just lose 3-0 to Sunderland and then all their remaining results are intact, but they are not allowed to progress to the knock out round anyway meaning Sunderland wins the group?

" In a similar case, Reading were removed from the 2014 League Cup and fined £50 after fielding Bonnie Horwood who had made three appearances for Watford earlier in the competition."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/...g2E-sLs10yWiex6JVg34mAeY06xztgaJvM5g9CJ6Mopug

With the way things are going for United all options probably means we are eliminated from the cup!
Unknown really. The 2014 incident didn't affect the qualification places so there was no attempt to correct the situation of other clubs.

In fact the solution was a bit weird. Watford were awarded three points because they couldn't play their final game (which would have been against Reading) London Bees who played against Reading and the ineligible player didn't get any points awarded as compensation. There may have been some reasoning behind that, but it's not obvious.

At any rate, the QF draw that should have been on the BBC today has been postponed.

Demon Barber

I know I said rules are rules, but there has to be an element of logic here. The inelligible player came on as a late sub. Villa won 7-0. Neither the game itself nor the final league table were affected in any way.

Lightbringer

I know I said rules are rules, but there has to be an element of logic here. The inelligible player came on as a late sub. Villa won 7-0. Neither the game itself nor the final league table were affected in any way.
Agreed.

This exact thing happened in the SHL (Swedish Hockey League) and the club that lost the game in question Brynäs IF contacted the hockey federation and said that they did not want to be awarded the victory, citing they did not want to win like that. Thats what Sunderland should do, and then the FA can fine Aston Villa and give them a reprimand saying if it happens again they will be DQ from whatever game or cup they are in.

Sunderland looks bad if they sit idle and hope for this to give them a victory!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Agreed.

This exact thing happened in the SHL (Swedish Hockey League) and the club that lost the game in question Brynäs IF contacted the hockey federation and said that they did not want to be awarded the victory, citing they did not want to win like that. Thats what Sunderland should do, and then the FA can fine Aston Villa and give them a reprimand saying if it happens again they will be DQ from whatever game or cup they are in.

What's the difference in money between a win and a loss for Brynas? Sunderland getting another cup game is over 1m extra in money.

Demon Barber

What's the difference in money between a win and a loss for Brynas? Sunderland getting another cup game is over 1m extra in money.
I take your point about extra income, but I'm pretty sure the women's league cup is not awarding over £1m to get through to the knockouts.

Snow

I take your point about extra income, but I'm pretty sure the women's league cup is not awarding over £1m to get through to the knockouts.
Oh yeah of course. Forgot what thread I was in.

Money doesn't seem to be a factor in this case considering the fine last time was 50 pounds.

Lightbringer

Well, I would assume not much at all for Sunderland if they get an away game, and a little bit if they get to play at home.

But still that money will be a small matter compared to the signal it sends that they are willing to turn a 7-0 loss to a 3-0 win by something that did not affect the result of the game. But fair play is long gone at most clubs of course!

BabySinclair

Agreed.

I disagree....rules are rules because otherwise more clubs can make this mistake and go this way without punishment.

Snow

Well, I would assume not much at all for Sunderland if they get an away game, and a little bit if they get to play at home.

But still that money will be a small matter compared to the signal it sends that they are willing to turn a 7-0 loss to a 3-0 win by something that did not affect the result of the game. But fair play is long gone at most clubs of course!
Money is evenly split for cup games for men's. Reason why lower league teams prefer away ties.

Lightbringer

I disagree....rules are rules because otherwise more clubs can make this mistake and go this way without punishment.
Aston Villa can still be punished by fines or other punishment. And that still does not change the fact that anyone wants to win or go through like that is not a sporting fella or lass. Obviously we dont know whats going on behind the scenes, but its very weird they could not make a decision today. It means they are debating and unclear on what to do and also need time to issue a written statement on the ruling as that will set a precedent for future incidents!

Sunderland can say, we dont want the 3 points, but make sure Villa is punished in a different way to deter clubs from making mistakes like that.

But thats just me, most people these days would say yes to be awarded the trophy without playing in the knockout rounds if the other teams had played in the wrong colored shirts in the group stage.