WSL Cup SF | Arsenal Women v United | 7 Feb - United lost 2-1

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

The final is on the 23rd February (at Bramhall Lane) but I'm having trouble finding out when the semis are . The draw for the semis is on Saturday.

Incidentally the WSL Cup has only existed for 7 years and only 2 clubs have won it: Arsenal (5 times) and City (2)

DBT85

Exactly the kind of place we should be!

A great start to the first season!

Grande

The final is on the 23rd February (at Bramhall Lane) but I'm having trouble finding out when the semis are . The draw for the semis is on Saturday.

Incidentally the WSL Cup has only existed for 7 years and only 2 clubs have won it: Arsenal (5 times) and City (2)
The big four in a few years time?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Semis start on the 5th Feb according to this
Thanks.

Is it easy to find rivers for the Women's matches?
MUTV have been showing some games, basically the home games that don't clash with other United matches, and they covered our away with Everton as well. BT will show the final. Hopefully someone will show the Semi, but coverage is very hit and miss.

The draw | Arsenal v United and Chelsea v City

Dudu

Had a feeling it would be Arsenal. Sadly we're away.

Should be an absolute cracker. Can't wait! :drool:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Had a feeling it would be Arsenal. Sadly we're away.

Should be an absolute cracker. Can't wait! :drool:
Well, bring it on. If it's where we aspire to be, then let's play the best.Trashing the likes of the Bees isn't going to get us better

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Does Fran Kirby still play for Chelsea? She always caught my eye in the international matches, great little player.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Does Fran Kirby still play for Chelsea? She always caught my eye in the international matches, great little player.
Yes, but she's been out injured for a couple of months, only just coming back. She's a sub today.

Incidentally Chelsea are playing a pretty intense pressing game today and are a goal up at HT, and it could have been more. Arsenal have a couple of serious longterm injuries and the squad isn't looking strong at the moment - I don't know if they'll sign people during the January window (or whether players they do sign are eligible to play in the WSL Cup).

Andersons Dietician

Occasionally seen bits and bobs of Arsenal ladies this year and their striker Miedema I think her name is, is really good, just a born goal scorer even watching her now think she scored the first and she just had a really good header saved.
Just feel if you watch us compared to these more experienced teams you can really see the maturity in their game. I know in our play there are obviously set moves we work on but our football is more rock and roll I think as in we kind of at times go a bit amateurish don’t keep a structure or abandon shape or control. Could be a symptom of us just being vastly superior to most teams in our league it’s not something we have to really worry about but might get found out next year unless we develop it. We are still a very inexperienced team and seem to hold our own so the future is bright.

Kim Little another one who has always looked good when I’ve seen Arsenal.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
arent Arsenal women supposed to be really really good?:(
They've been top of WSL1 most of the season, currently a point behind City but with a game in hand. W10 D0 L2 and a GD of 36 - so yes, we're definitely the underdogs.

They've had a couple of serious injuries though and the squad has been looking a bit thin in recent weeks. That said, we've got the harder game the weekend before it - we play Brighton (WSL1) in the FA Cup, they play Crawley. Plus, it's two long away trips for us, whereas Arsenal have minimal travel to do.

It's fair to say we'll need luck on our side as well as a good performance.

Grande

G
Arsenal confirming that the game will be on BT.

Great! Let’s win 3-1, then. Joking.

I’ve seen Vivianne Miedesma and Danielle de Donk live against Norway, and they are brilliant each of them, and particularly on tandem. Miedesma has smart moves, is good on the ball and has shrewd finishing capabilities. De Donk has a magic passing foot and the ability to get away from pressure to use it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So, time to start thinking about our WSL Cup semi-final, and a match against one of the
real heavyweights of the women's game.

Historical heavyweights:
Of the 7 WSL Cups played, Arsenal have won it 5 times (they also won a record number of PL cups - the previous version)
They have won the women's FA Cup 14 times (another record)
They won the women's PL (WSL predecessor) 12 times, another record
They've won WSL1 twice, 2011 and 2012 - the first two seasons of the new league.

Present day heavyweights:
In WSL1 - they've played 13 games, lost twice (City and Chelsea) and won the other 11 giving them a goal difference of +39. Currently one point below City but with a game in hand.
In the cups - they've played 5 games, won 5. GD +22

It's fair to say that we're definitely the underdogs in this one.

Andersons Dietician

I’ve got those big match nerves kicking in already, can’t wait for this one. A proper test of where the ladies are at. Going to be tough but surely this would count as giant slaying if we were to beat them.

RedPamie

Can't wait for this. Hopefully some decent streams pop up near kick off.

Agree, it will be super tough for the team. But we're here for this... Come on Reds!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

DBT85

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
City await the winners of this game after winning 2-0 at Chelsea last night.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
What's your take @jojojo

Obviously it's a big test, but I've really no idea as to the gap between us and the top teams.
None of us do. I think the guess most people make having seen us against other WSL1 teams is that we're close to teams in the top half of WSL1 - people like Birmingham and Reading. But we've got a way to go before we're in the elite group of Chelsea, City, Arsenal.

It's hard to ignore just how dominant those three teams are. They're stable, well coached and most of them are full internationals, including some special players from outside the UK. If we get anything tonight, it will be great, but it's actually pretty great that we got here.

Drawfull

None of us do. I think the guess most people make having seen us against other WSL1 teams is that we're close to teams in the top half of WSL1 - people like Birmingham and Reading. But we've got a way to go before we're in the elite group of Chelsea, City, Arsenal.

It's hard to ignore just how dominant those three teams are. They're stable, well coached and most of them are full internationals, including some special players from outside the UK. If we get anything tonight, it will be great, but it's actually pretty great that we got here.
Thanks for the insight. Thought it was interesting that James starts. Let's hope we acquit well and stuff them.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Absolutely buczzing for this. Got bt sport on my xbox hooked up to hotel tv. Room service ordered. Come on united!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm here and ready! Come on ladies!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Arsenal have scored a lot of goals this season - the stars are probably Little (who missed a big chunk of the season with an injury), Van De Donk, Miedema (record-breaking top scorer in WSL1) and Beth Mead.

For us, it looks like Alex Greenwood will be reinforcing the midfield and Lauren James will be playing up front.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
That was a good shot