Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen manager - Bundesliga Dinner Plate Winner

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agreed :) Which is why I don't get why you/Ten Hag refuse to player this way although he already coached a team like that
Because he had to do it with Ajax and Overmars built a squad for it. Otherwise ETH has never been a possession head coach, he has never built a squad himself and it would be surprising if he had the ability to do it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Because he had to do it with Ajax and Overmars built a squad for it. Otherwise ETH has never been a possession head coach, he has never built a squad himself and it would be surprising if he had the ability to do it.
I wouldn't have thought he's good at building a squad (no modern coach should really be tasked with doing so tbh) but I thought if he oversaw a team that played like that Ajax team, then he would at least be decent at coaching a positional system

Teja

He will be at Madrid or Bayern next season.

He's a future top coach and we'll never touch him
There's no way Madrid / Bayern get such an inexperienced coach. He needs to cut his teeth elsewhere.

JPRouve

Scout
I wouldn't have thought he's good at building a squad (no modern coach should really be tasked with doing so tbh) but I thought if he oversaw a team that played like that Ajax team, then he would at least be decent at coaching a positional system
The point is that the tactical approach that he has favored is not the one you are expecting him to apply. There is basically two issue with the point you initially made, it generally doesn't match with ETH history and the squad built by Murtough doesn't match with it either.

RoyH1

There's no way Madrid / Bayern get such an inexperienced coach. He needs to cut his teeth elsewhere.
Madrid has had the likes of Zidane and del Bosque manage the team with only their experience being with Real Madrid's B team. As long as you've played for them, speak the language and have pedigree and experience as a player at a high level, they won't care about the lack of experience. That said, they will probably extend Ancelotti. He's done a great job this season.

JPRouve

Scout
Madrid has had the likes of Zidane and del Bosque manage the team with only their experience being with Real Madrid's B team. As long as you've played for them, speak the language and have pedigree and experience as a player at a high level, they won't care about the lack of experience. That said, they will probably extend Ancelotti. He's done a great job this season.
Isn't Ancelotti Brazil's next manager?

Oranges038

Madrid hired Zidane who had no more experience than Alonso, they also hired Solari, Ramon & Queiroz who had little to no first team club coaching experience elsewhere.

Bayern hired Kovac not that long ago as well and he'd not really done a whole pile either.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yea, no way Bayern would sign a manager who has already proven himself in their own league.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He can basically pick his next job in Madrid, Bayern or Liverpool if there is vacancy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean he has Bayer Leverkusen top of the Bundesliga. Isn't he proving himself at literally the highest level before you take on a top club?

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I mean he has Bayer Leverkusen top of the Bundesliga. Isn't he proving himself at literally the highest level before you take on a top club?
Who else is out there that's impressing like him though? There's a dearth of attainable and great managerial talent. Like after Alonso, I couldn't name you someone I'd want coming in if I was Barca/Madrid/Bayern if Tuchel goes.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Who else is out there that's impressing like him though? There's a dearth of attainable and great managerial talent. Like after Alonso, I couldn't name you someone I'd want coming in if I was Barca/Madrid/Bayern if Tuchel goes.
What Hoeneß does at Stuttgart is arguably even more impressive than Alonso for us. He took over Stuttgart in April when they were last in the table with 20 points after 26 matches. Saved them in the relegation playoffs, now has them playing out of their skin. Third in the table with 34 points, 37 goals and a goal difference of +18 after 16 matches. Beat Dortmund more than convincingly twice in cup and league. In the expected points table, they're second even with 36.17 points (ahead of us and behind Bayern). They have the third highest possession as well with 58.1%, the second highest progressive passing distance, third highest pass completion, third highest shot creation actions, ... Basically, they're only behind Bayern and us in most important metrics and comfortably outperform everyone else including Leipzig and Bayern 8 months after Hoeneß took them over with everybody expecting them to be relegated.

Edit: Some stats of their match against the BVB:

StuttgartDortmund
Possession58%42%
xG4,281,12
Shots124
Running distance121 km119 km
Pass completion89%81%

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He can basically pick his next job in Madrid, Bayern or Liverpool if there is vacancy.
Pretty much this. He has the pedigree, fantastic results, and his team playing lovely football. I would wager he'll be at Bayern, Chelsea, or Madrid next season.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
What Hoeneß does at Stuttgart is arguably even more impressive than Alonso for us. He took over Stuttgart in April when they were last in the table with 20 points after 26 matches. Saved them in the relegation playoffs, now has them playing out of their skin. Third in the table with 34 points, 37 goals and a goal difference of +18 after 16 matches. Beat Dortmund more than convincingly twice in cup and league. In the expected points table, they're second even with 36.17 points (ahead of us and behind Bayern). They have the third highest possession as well with 58.1%, the second highest progressive passing distance, third highest pass completion, third highest shot creation actions, ... Basically, they're only behind Bayern and us in most important metrics and comfortably outperform everyone else including Leipzig and Bayern 8 months after Hoeneß took them over with everybody expecting them to be relegated.

Edit: Some stats of their match against the BVB:

StuttgartDortmund
Possession58%42%
xG4,281,12
Shots124
Running distance121 km119 km
Pass completion89%81%
Wow, that is really impressive, I had no idea Stuttgart had come from that kind of position to be where they are now. He seems to be very early in his managerial career too but there will be a lot of hype for him in a years time if he keeps that up.

Righteous Steps

Pretty much this. He has the pedigree, fantastic results, and his team playing lovely football. I would wager he'll be at Bayern, Chelsea, or Madrid next season.
No chance he goes Chelsea, Alonso strikes me as a football 'romantic', will be one of the big traditional European clubs he goes to when he leaves.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wait what. Did i read that right? 81 goals in 25 games?!?!?!

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
No chance he goes Chelsea, Alonso strikes me as a football 'romantic', will be one of the big traditional European clubs he goes to when he leaves.
I agree on the football "romantic" and would assume, it will either be Liverpool, Real or Bayern after Leverkusen.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's what I thought about Pep as well and then he not only joined the plastics but stays there longer than in Barcelona and Bayern combined.
You never can be sure.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That's what I thought about Pep as well and then he not only joined the plastics but stays there longer than in Barcelona and Bayern combined.
You never can be sure.
Pep has been in bed with the Qatari’s and taking their money since his playing career. Wasn’t so much of a surprise.

Xabi is a class act as much as I hate to say it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yep, 46 in the league, 19 in Europe, 16 in the DFB cup.
And we're thinking of extending Ancelotti?!? Flo better land the private jet inside the Bayarena to take Xabi back home :devil:

Ps: even with the german football goal breaks that's crazy

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Wait what. Did i read that right? 81 goals in 25 games?!?!?!
You did read that right. If you split it into tournaments:
46:12 in 16 Bundesliga games
16:3 in 3 Cup matches (their opponents played in the 4th, 2nd and 2nd German league)
19:3 in 6 EL matches

So their numbers are a bit inflated by lower league opponents

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If ETH isn't able to improve our performances, we should try to convince him for this job.

Ancelotti has just signed a new deal at Madrid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If ETH isn't able to improve our performances, we should try to convince him for this job.

He's probably Madrid bound im afraid, the timing of Ancelotti's new contract matches his so he may be next in succesion.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's probably Madrid bound im afraid, the timing of Ancelotti's new contract matches his so he may be next in succesion.
That's what I am expecting. I guess they extended with him because Alonso only is not available next season. It would be his third season with us and he already said that he plans his career in three year cycles.

Hope he'll take Wirtz with him then. Maybe even Frimpong. Would be his last gift to us and the Bundesliga if he savss us from having to see them in a Bayern shirt :D

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's what I am expecting. I guess they extended with him because Alonso only is not available next season. It would be his third season with us and he already said that he plans his career in three year cycles.

Hope he'll take Wirtz with him then. Maybe even Frimpong. Would be his last gift to us and the Bundesliga if he savss us from having to see them in a Bayern shirt :D
The imbalance in Bundesliga is rather saddening to a degree and yeah hope they don't up in bayern.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders , he really could be the next big thing seeing how there seems to be a shift in managerial generations.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

For some reason I thought Ancelotti to the Brazil NT was a done deal. Yikes.
:( seems likely but I guess the slim hope is that a lot can change in football

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
These long term plans barely come to fruition. You would never know where Madrid or Xabi end up after 2 years.

3KDré

He will go to Liverpool if anywhere in England. Would be like Carrick at Liverpool - doesn't look/feel right. IMO he will go to Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool during his career.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
At this rate it is very likely Alonso to be the next Bayern coach than anywhere else..