Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen manager - Bundesliga Dinner Plate Winner

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I made this thread and therefore started Alonso's managerial career

Which manager should I empower next?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I’d have no issue with us going for him. Sure he played for the scouse but it’s not like he’s a Liverpool legend or anything and he looks to be a quality manager. Can you imagine the fume if a former Liverpool player was the one to finally get us that elusive 21st league title?? Would be worth it for that alone. :lol:
Well wouldn't be the first pool player to net us a league title if it were to happen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Desperate times for you United fans if you think a Liverpool legend would come and manage United :lol:

He’s certainly doing wonders in the Bundesliga! They are playing such good football too!
Is he a Liverpool legend? He was Madrid longer and spent a good amount of time at Sociedad and Bayern as well. He’s hardly any iconic Liverpool man.

Dr Foo

Let's hope we can eventually count on our own CDM Carrick to silently emerge with the goods

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why would you go for him? He's a highly possession oriented coach and apparently United doesn't want to play that way.

Gordon S

Why would you go for him? He's a highly possession oriented coach and apparently United doesn't want to play that way.
I think the intention is there. We see a lot of attempts from our players to slow things down a bit and move the ball around in a more controlled way, but we are sadly terrible at it.
We kept the ball in possession as good as any team in the league for a stretch under LvG, but seems to have lost all ability during 6-7 years of low defence combined with long balls over the top/quick counter attacking play under Jose and Ole. A lot of the players we do have just seems way more suited to this style.
But, i think a better coach could improve and adapt even this squad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But then you need to buy 15 new players.
We need to sign/sell a bunch of new players anyway, the squad isn't coherent whether you want to play a possession or fast transition game.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Add to the list Luis Aragones, Vicente Del Bosque and Rainald Denoueix.. Real Sociedad in season 2002-2003 were fantastic team, leaded by Alonso, Nihat and Kovacevic..they lost the league title to Real but were so close..
Denoueix is a good shout! He's such a great football thinker, it's a shame he gave up coaching so early but he was a great tactician and has always come across as a wonderful man. I can totally imagine players learning a lot under his stewardship.
But then you need to buy 15 new players.
Hold my beer

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
We need to sign/sell a bunch of new players anyway, the squad isn't coherent whether you want to play a possession or fast transition game.
I know that, but you have definitely more players suited to a transitional game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I know that, but you have definitely more players suited to a transitional game.
I don't think so. We have two players that are better in transition in Rashford and Bruno but their flaw which is the ability to beat someone in 1v1 with any consistency is a killer if your team relies on them. Our defenders and midfielders aren't really built for transition gameplans because they aren't really good at defending in space and when the game is broken. And then the rest is technically useless or tactically braindead.

Last edited:

Teja

As much as I want this, I feel a pragmatist, old-school coach like Ancelotti, Simeone, Emery, Zidane would be better for United than someone wedded to an ideology.

Buy good players, manage egos / dressing room culture, let them get on with it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is he a Liverpool legend? He was Madrid longer and spent a good amount of time at Sociedad and Bayern as well. He’s hardly any iconic Liverpool man.
Depends how strict or loose you are with your definition of "legend" -- Alonso was one of their best ever midfielders and was key during their CL win and the other trophies they won around that time. He was also only at Madrid slightly longer. 210 Liverpool games vs 236 Madrid games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think so. We have two players that are better in transition in Rashford and Bruno but their flaw which is the ability to beat someone in 1v1 with any consistent is a killer if your team relies on them. Our defenders and midfielders aren't really built for transition gameplans because they aren't really good at defending in space and when the game is broken. And then the rest is technically useless or tactically braindead.
I agree with this. We may have some players are better suited to a transitional game, but none of them are worth refusing a new system for.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No team can be successful in this era without being dominant in possession.
Not entirely true. Real Madrid 21/22 was a reactive team, same with Chelsea 20/21. Liverpool Champions League victory under Klopp had them having less than 40%.

Now if you are saying that a top team to be successful needs to know how to dominate the game against clubs that are weaker technically in order to accumulate more league points, than we agree.

SambaBoy

Depends how strict or loose you are with your definition of "legend" -- Alonso was one of their best ever midfielders and was key during their CL win and the other trophies they won around that time. He was also only at Madrid slightly longer. 210 Liverpool games vs 236 Madrid games.
I don't think he can count as a Liverpool legend.

His time at Real is where he stood out as a top top player. I remember he was good when he joined Liverpool but nothing amazing but then struggled and Benitez essentially wanted to get rid of him and swap him for Barry, the deal fell through and Alonso regained his form and went on to have a top season and wanted to leave.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He will be at Madrid or Bayern next season.

He's a future top coach and we'll never touch him
And we shouldn’t. He’d never come to us anyway. He’ll probably join Liverpool after klopp though.