Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen manager - Bundesliga Dinner Plate Winner

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree on the defense alone though. Tapsoba, Tah and Kossounou are phenomenal fits for Xabi's ideas.
How has Tapsoba been this season? A few years ago he was my first choice centre back for us to try to sign, but he seemed to drop off a bit the last couple of seasons. I haven't watched you guys at all this season, so is he back to top form?

IRELANDUNITED

I just don’t see it working out for him at Liverpool. Liverpool is a very emotional club, they thrive off the victim mentality, us against the world etc and this emotion is what has carried them to the small bit of success they’ve had under Klopp. Klopp was the perfect manager for them, because like the fans and the club he runs on emotion.

Alonso seems much calmer and in control of his emotions, he seems to have a philosophy of control and intelligence and that just doesn’t strike me as a good fit for Liverpool.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
@rimaldo how u doin there mate do u like Xabi Alonso?
it’s been incredibly challenging. there’s been a lot of rain and it’s wrecked most of the plans we had for crops for this year. the cows and pigs have been shut away far longer than we’d like. there was a big delay in getting our eu subsidy. if it carries on into march then we might have to sell off some of the machinery, just to survive until the end of the season.

xabi is great. he mostly just drives the tractor across the fields from side to side, but everyone seems to lose their shit over that and think he’s the best at it.

redallover87

Exactly. Just looked it up, Leicester won the PL with 81 points in 38 matches. Bayer is on track to 89 points in 34 matches and Bayern for 81 in 34 (which would be their strongest season since 2019/20 and absolutely not a weak season, unlike the PL top teams in 2015/16). Still an incredible story what Leicester did, but they didn't dominate the league in any way close to what Leverkusen is doing right now.
The prem really was so weak the year leicester won it with just 81 points,even 10 more points than that usually doesnot win the league these days.

redallover87

I just don’t see it working out for him at Liverpool. Liverpool is a very emotional club, they thrive off the victim mentality, us against the world etc and this emotion is what has carried them to the small bit of success they’ve had under Klopp. Klopp was the perfect manager for them, because like the fans and the club he runs on emotion.

Alonso seems much calmer and in control of his emotions, he seems to have a philosophy of control and intelligence and that just doesn’t strike me as a good fit for Liverpool.
He could be the next pep,it wouldnot matter anyway because he would be up against pep with far more money at a club that breaks many rules,no manager can overcome them.

Reactions: Fortitude

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What Leicester did will be better than Leverkusen, Leicester were almost relegated, somehow they went on a mini run to save their PL status and next season they got 81 points which itself is an incredible achievement.

Promotion from championship, saved from relegation in last few games and then PL title. That's amazing.

Leverkusen were always around top half, CL-Europa place team.
Exactly, two great achievements (if Leverkusen keeps going, still nothing is decided this season!), but simply quite different. Leicester came from a weak position and won the PL in the weakest year in a long time, while Leverkusen turned from upper midtable to dominating a league even against a strong Bayern team.

Which one would be the bigger achievement is debatable, but either way it's so different in circumstances and style that I wonder why someone feels reminded of Leicester when looking at Leverkusen now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
it’s been incredibly challenging. there’s been a lot of rain and it’s wrecked most of the plans we had for crops for this year. the cows and pigs have been shut away far longer than we’d like. there was a big delay in getting our eu subsidy. if it carries on into march then we might have to sell off some of the machinery, just to survive until the end of the season.

xabi is great. he mostly just drives the tractor across the fields from side to side, but everyone seems to lose their shit over that and think he’s the best at it.
:lol: yeah he is absolutely overrated

erikcred

Don't worry. A week back in the city and he'll be playing to the crowd.

Jump around on the touchline screaming and after games, do a lot of that hallowed Liverpool invention - fist pumping.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Give him some credit for his ideas on crop rotation you snob

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What Leicester did will be better than Leverkusen, Leicester were almost relegated, somehow they went on a mini run to save their PL status and next season they got 81 points which itself is an incredible achievement.

Promotion from championship, saved from relegation in last few games and then PL title. That's amazing.

Leverkusen were always around top half, CL-Europa place team.
Yes IIRC Leicester were joint 16th favourites to win the title at the start of 2015/2016 season, alongside Sunderland, and behind Swansea, Crystal Palace, West Brom etc. Only the 3 promoted teams, Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford ranked below them there. They also started the season with either the 4th or 5th lowest wage bill in the Premier League I think.

At the start of the season, I doubt anyone thought that they'd finish in the top 10 (which they hadn't last done since the 1999/2000 season for perspective) or above Mark Hughes' Stoke team for example that had finished 9th during the 2 previous seasons. I doubt many people even thought that they'd finish above Tony Pulis' safe and steady West Brom team.

Leverkusen finished no lower than 6th in the league and qualified for the Europa League (at least) during each of the 6 previous seasons, and during 13 of the 14 previous seasons. IIRC they were the 4th favourites to win the title at the start of this season, behind Bayern, Dortmund and Leipzig.

There's no serious comparison at all there.

Of course Leverkusen have been absolutely brilliant this season, a lot of fun watch (including yesterday when they were by far the better team and could have won by an even bigger margin), and I really hope they go on to win the title, which if they do would still be a outstanding achievement.

90 + 5min

They are playing far better than Leicester did and are dealing with a much better team in a title race. The Premier League was embarrassingly weak in 2016.

They've not lost in 30 games and don't play anywhere near the style of football Leceister did. They're worlds apart.
I wouldn't say that. Every league is hard and winning Premier League with Leicester when you have teams like ManUtd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, ManCity, Tottenham is pretty impressive. It was their year and everything went for them. Once in a while it happens that stars align.

Exactly. Just looked it up, Leicester won the PL with 81 points in 38 matches. Bayer is on track to 89 points in 34 matches and Bayern for 81 in 34 (which would be their strongest season since 2019/20 and absolutely not a weak season, unlike the PL top teams in 2015/16). Still an incredible story what Leicester did, but they didn't dominate the league in any way close to what Leverkusen is doing right now.
I wouldn't say that Leverkusen is dominating league. They are "just" 5 points clear of Bayern Munchen. They are doing very well this year and should get credit for that. Looking at game yesterday Bayern Munchen was in control until that first goal. That lifted whole stadium and players. After that they could just wait for Munchen to make mistakes. Leverkusen are hard to break down. They are very good at defending which is their recipe for their success.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wouldn't say that. Every league is hard and winning Premier League with Leicester when you have teams like ManUtd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, ManCity, Tottenham is pretty impressive. It was their year and everything went for them. Once in a while it happens that stars align.

I wouldn't say that Leverkusen is dominating league. They are "just" 5 points clear of Bayern Munchen. They are doing very well this year and should get credit for that. Looking at game yesterday Bayern Munchen was in control until that first goal. That lifted whole stadium and players. After that they could just wait for Munchen to make mistakes. Leverkusen are hard to break down. They are very good at defending which is their recipe for their success.
Again, they are only 5 points ahead because Bayern are playing their best season in years, while Leverkusen is close to playing the best ever BL season. Leverkusen got 55 of 63 possible points and did not lose all season. If that isn't dominating a league, then what is?

If they win the title they will do it against strong opposition, not against weak.

Someone

Something
I still think following Klopp is a massive risk. The Liverpool connection is strong but it could kill the strong start to his career pretty quickly. He could find himself in a Gerrard situation easily if he fecks up his next destination.

I genuinely think United would be the prefect place for him if ETH gets sacked. I think he'd be given at least two years and good backing financially, and if he gets United close to challenging for anything it'd be considered a success. Following someone like Klopp is just too much.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I still think following Klopp is a massive risk. The Liverpool connection is strong but it could kill the strong start to his career pretty quickly. He could find himself in a Gerrard situation easily if he fecks up his next destination.

I genuinely think United would be the prefect place for him if ETH gets sacked. I think he'd be given at least two years and good backing financially, and if he gets United close to challenging for anything it'd be considered a success. Following someone like Klopp is just too much.
You think Manchester United is a good destination for him? A club that has churned through high-calibre managers for an decade and is in the process of potentially damaging the reputation of its current manager who was regarded as hot property about 18 months ago.

He’d be a fool not to join in the fun…

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You think Manchester United is a good destination for him? A club that has churned through high-calibre managers for an decade and is in the process of potentially damaging the reputation of its current manager who was regarded as hot property about 18 months ago.

If he went through a rough patch people would label him a "Liverpool secret agent".

Someone

Something

Yes United would be a good destination. There's a new structure in place, and there should be some financial backing as well. Most of the managers we've hired were past their best or not good enough, and you can't tell me that it's not tempting managing a club with that potential. The expectations initially will be low, and he'll be given time.

Charlie Foley

We’ve certainly churned through managers

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

We have become a graveyard for managers and players alike. If its between us and Liverpool, he will choose the latter.

OverratedOpinion

Would depend really.

If the main issues at Utd has been those in positions of authority outside of the manager well it seems as though they are all being replaced by people who are very highly regarded within the game.

Trying to follow your best manager in decades who everyone has said has worked miracles to punch above his weight sounds a bit like a poisoned chalice.

Either way I wouldn't want him here yet but he is doing very well and that was a great performance against Bayern.

TheReligion

Abusive

We have become a graveyard for managers and players alike. If its between us and Liverpool, he will choose the latter.
This thought process is a bit odd.

Remind us why Klopp went to Liverpool again? Or was is seeing them get hammered 6-1 at Stoke that really got his juices flowing.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
This thought process is a bit odd.

Remind us why Klopp went to Liverpool again? Or was is seeing them get hammered 6-1 at Stoke that really got his juices flowing.
Ok. It’s dead odd to suggest United is a dangerous step for a manager given recent numerous sackings. Klopp joined Liverpool just over a season after a genuine title challenge under owners who know what they’re doing - I guess he chose well. The United managers since 2013 have arguably chosen badly. Just my take.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ok. It’s dead odd to suggest United is a dangerous step for a manager given recent numerous sackings. Klopp joined Liverpool just over a season after a genuine title challenge under owners who know what they’re doing - I guess he chose well. The United managers since 2013 have arguably chosen badly. Just my take.
:lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I guess you’re probably an expert in sports administration with a track record of winning titles on both sides of the Atlantic.

Can’t argue. Fair play.
Yeah Glazers are great owners too winning 5 PL in 7 seasons, 1 CL win and 2 more finals. They probably knew what they were doing.

Oh wait, they got lucky as SAF was the manager, likewise your owners were lucky with the timing to hire Klopp.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I have watched them and they have some really good players but overall feeling is that they are having their year. Football or tactics are nothing extraordinary. Everything is just falling right and it is post in or bar in instead of out. They remind me of Leicester when they won the league .

They are neither playing like Liverpool or ManCity. It is something in between. With that said, it would be nice if they won the league.
It's a combination of years of good recruitment and then Alonso fitting all the pieces together in a great tactical set-up. Players like Tapsoba, Kossonou, Frimpong, Hincapie and Palacios have been showing potential for a few years, but Alonso is helping them fulfill that potential by putting them in the right places. Switching to a 3 at the back formation has elevated the defenders and also brought out the best in Frimpong, who is even playing as a right winger rather than a right wing back.

Next year, of course a lot will depend on how Leverkusen retain their squad, even their manager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why would he choose Liverpool or us for that matter once Barca comes knocking?
Because he allegedly has an agreement that would allow him to leave for his ex clubs (Bayern, Real, Liverpool).

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

But you’ve turned a corner.

Redstain

I don't think he would pick United over Liverpool if such a decision became apparent it goes without saying but its a far more difficult position for Liverpool because of Klopp. How would the fans anticipate potentially encountering failure under the new manager with the standard being significantly higher in expectation with Jurgen.

It would be easier for any manager to go into a job as a United manager (a team having failed for a decade, fans expectations becoming significantly lower) compared to Liverpool where the impetus would be on winning (seemingly a pressure that Klopp could not see himself continuing to immerse himself with given his interview).

Additionally, no manager prior to leaving United has had a demoralised reputation. Mourinho was able find numerous employment opportunities despite creating such a toxic environment when he left. LVG back into international football likewise Ragnick who hadn't managed for years prior.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How has Tapsoba been this season? A few years ago he was my first choice centre back for us to try to sign, but he seemed to drop off a bit the last couple of seasons. I haven't watched you guys at all this season, so is he back to top form?
Overall excellent but not quite as good as in his debut season, IMO. Tah and especially Kossounou are playing even better, though. Kossounou is playing a very innovative RCP interpretation and eoing lots of dribblings, even in the final third. Tah on the other hand has (finally) improved his set piece thread and is the best at pure defending. All three are extremely good at covering attacking runs.

RoyH1

He won't touch Barsa as they are now. It's Bayern, Liverpool or Madrid as favorites. We have a small shot but only if Sir Jim really gives the sporting side of things a proper shakedown and allows Alonso to bring his people in.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
hard to see any managers good enough to have a choice among top of clubs choosing Barcelona in their current state.

They'll be shopping amongst ex-players and up and coming managers for the foreseeable future.

Red Star One

there's almost zero talk about him going to Barca in the local papers and among the "in the knows", he's a former Madrid player and that complicates stuff and Barca job is arguably much more difficult and ungrateful than taking over from Klopp. I think he'd choose Liverpool over Barca if he had the privilige to choose.
hard to see any managers good enough to have a choice among top of clubs choosing Barcelona in their current state.

They'll be shopping amongst ex-players and up and coming managers for the foreseeable future.
I think there's a good chance the next Barca manager will not be a huge name. Wouldn't be surprised if it's someone like Thiago Motta, an ex-player, maybe they try to go for Michel Sanchez, apparently Sérgio Conceição is a strong favorite of Deco.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
there's almost zero talk about him going to Barca in the local papers and among the "in the knows", he's a former Madrid player and that complicates stuff and Barca job is arguably much more difficult and ungrateful than taking over from Klopp. I think he'd choose Liverpool over Barca if he had the privilige to choose.
I agree and want to add that I only see Liverpool, Real or Bayern as Xabi's next step. Allegedly, he even has a clause in his current contract that allows him to leave for these three clubs.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Rolfes said yesterday that he's very confident Alonso will stay for another season, same as Wirtz. That would rule out Liverpool unless they burn through their next manager within the span of one year.

I expect Alonso to replace Ancelotti in Madrid, personally. There were so many media reports that convincingly linked him with them and I don't think it is a coincidence that both Ancelotti's and Alonso's contract run until 2026. My theory is that Perez wanted him in 2024 but Alonso was undecided because this would have meant he only coached Leverkusen for ~1.5 seasons while his career plan is apparently structured in three year cycles. I guess he asked Perez for more time which is why they extended Ancelotti. Now they can flexibly begin in either 2025 or 2026. Probably 2025.

IRELANDUNITED

Don't worry. A week back in the city and he'll be playing to the crowd.

Jump around on the touchline screaming and after games, do a lot of that hallowed Liverpool invention - fist pumping.
Perhaps, but I just think of him as calm, intelligent and reasonable. The complete opposite of Klopp, Liverpool fans and the club in general.