g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen INVINCIBLES manager

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
To be a fly on the wall at his agent's office as the offers are tabled for his services when the time comes. If he doesn't go to Madrid, he's likely to become the best paid manager in the world (on the books), and I wonder how much those offers will go up to if he doesn't swear allegiance to any one/two club(s) and invites a bidding war.

Think he's nailed on for the Madrid job, but there won't be a more coveted manager in the game than him. If he produces a second extremely competitive season at Leverkusen, he'll look nailed on to be next truly great one.

DavidDeSchmikes

18 months Leverkusen have gone from 2nd bottom of the league to winning it whilst undefeated and in 2 more cup finals

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
18 months Leverkusen have gone from 2nd bottom of the league to winning it whilst undefeated and in 2 more cup finals
And yet they are not the most improved team in the Bundesliga (season-to-season comparison).

Stuttgart's revival under Hoeneß is just as impressive.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
And yet they are not the most improved team in the Bundesliga (season-to-season comparison).

Stuttgart's revival under Hoeneß is just as impressive.
It's fine, he rejected Bayern as well :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's a miracle worker. Ludicrous season like when you cheat on FM.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
On top of his obvious coaching abilities I must also say I’m impressed with his laid back, casual style, with simple sweatshirt / long sleeve and sneakers. Elegant without being overdressed.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
On top of his obvious coaching abilities I must also say I’m impressed with his laid back, casual style, with simple sweatshirt / long sleeve and sneakers. Elegant without being overdressed.
Who are you, the twitter dress guy???
Conan the Barbarian fan, I presume?
Madridismo is all about crushing our enemies, see them driven before us and hear the lamentations of their fans

erikcred

Nagelsmann wouldn't stand a chance at Utd.

Sylar

They have four games left. Atalanta is the tough one due to the placement of where it is then the cup final a few days later. Momentum is with them though and I cant see them losing the two league matches left. That match v Atalanta will be brilliant viewing.

Big Andy

Bloke
To be a fly on the wall at his agent's office as the offers are tabled for his services when the time comes. If he doesn't go to Madrid, he's likely to become the best paid manager in the world (on the books), and I wonder how much those offers will go up to if he doesn't swear allegiance to any one/two club(s) and invites a bidding war.

Think he's nailed on for the Madrid job, but there won't be a more coveted manager in the game than him. If he produces a second extremely competitive season at Leverkusen, he'll look nailed on to be next truly great one.
If Leverkusen get raided for their best players in the Summer, then it will be a huge test (his first real big test ;) ) of how good he actually is, or if this season was just a flash in the pan.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They have four games left. Atalanta is the tough one due to the placement of where it is then the cup final a few days later. Momentum is with them though and I cant see them losing the two league matches left. That match v Atalanta will be brilliant viewing.
On sunday we will be playing in Bochum for the first time since May 27th '23 - which was the last match of last season and the last time we lost a competitive game. Usually, I'm not a superstitiuous person but since this season can't be explained rationally anymore, I'm a bit nervous :nervous:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If Leverkusen get raided for their best players in the Summer, then it will be a huge test (his first real big test ;) ) of how good he actually is, or if this season was just a flash in the pan.
We won't. I can see all important players staying, actually. But 2025 could see a mass exit and a huge rebuild, unfortunately

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That’s a big fecking pan! :lol:

But yeah there will be other challenges ahead for him, but at the moment he’s on Clough trajectory and looks every bit the part with how he’s got his team incessantly attacking.

It’ll be a real testament to him if his players opt to stay with him another season despite life-changing offers being on the table, too. But we’ll see how things look by September on that front.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
On sunday we will be playing in Bochum for the first time since May 27th '23 - which was the last match of last season
You beat them 4-0 in December. Let's see if you can keep the nerves away

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I’ve watched more Bundesliga games this season than all previous seasons combined. And Leverkusen are just a joy to watch. They dominate games but are much more direct in their approach towards the goal than a Pep team. Very intelligent on the ball. Just great stuff.

The late comebacks for added entertainment value. Now I really want them to keep that unbeaten streak going, at least for the full season. And ideally us putting an end to it, sorry @Zehner :wenger:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if they go unbeaten through the whole bundesliga season, it doesn’t highlight anything about leverkusen or alonso, it just shows how weak the league is. no one could ever go the through the whole british premier league season unbeaten.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
if they go unbeaten through the whole bundesliga season, it doesn’t highlight anything about leverkusen or alonso, it just shows how weak the league is. no one could ever go the through the whole british premier league season unbeaten.
Jens Lehmann owns a trademark that says otherwise. :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I’ve watched more Bundesliga games this season than all previous seasons combined. And Leverkusen are just a joy to watch. They dominate games but are much more direct in their approach towards the goal than a Pep team. Very intelligent on the ball. Just great stuff.

The late comebacks for added entertainment value. Now I really want them to keep that unbeaten streak going, at least for the full season. And ideally us putting an end to it, sorry @Zehner :wenger:
If that super cup match up actually happens, it could legitly break the space-time continuum ;)

MegadrivePerson

One of the main reasons Alonso has agreed to stay is that he has assurances from the board and key players that they won't leave this summer.

erikcred

There was one weak season in the PL in which Arsenal went unbeaten.

Oranges038

One of the main reasons Alonso has agreed to stay is that he has assurances from the board and key players that they won't leave this summer.
Yeah and some of them are on long contracts too. So Bayern can't just bully their way in and get them cheap or wait out a year and take them for free.

Alpha 1

Who are you, the twitter dress guy???

Madridismo is all about crushing our enemies, see them driven before us and hear the lamentations of their fans
You guys practise witchcraft. The only explanation for the extreme luck you possess year after year.
There was one weak season in the PL in which Arsenal went unbeaten.
In the age of VAR, that Pires dive vs Portsmouth would've been picked up.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Not a chance he’d join us with his Liverpool links. He’s destined for a future career of managing both Madrid, Liverpool and Spain.

gorky_utd

We were 10 minutes away from all Bundesliga UCL final.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Only in Bundesliga you can go unbeaten and still perform in the cups. That's how weak Bundesliga is compared to PL.
Alonso regularly rested half (or more) of his first team in cup/EL matches and always used his first choice in the league. He only started fielding his first choice in a cup against West Ham in the quarter final. That's more of the reason why they are always fresh than anything about the league itself. Rolfes built a very good squad with a lot of quality on the bench and Alonso is using this squad wisely to keep everyone fresh and minimize injuries.

Todd

It really seems written in the stars now, and the unfortunate thing is that anything less than an undefeated treble is going to be so underwhelming and uninteresting.

Luckily, one would think that if Xabi plays his best team from here on out they should be expected to win these last four matches.

Teja

Can we do what City did for Pep, and bring this man over?
Yeah we can't just accept defeat here. I don't think we ever tried seriously for Pep - just assumed he wouldn't want to come. He went over to City when they were a tiny club in comparison to us and the rest is history.

Lay out the red carpet and even if he has a pitstop at Bayern for 2-3 years, it's fine to plan ahead to what happens after his next role.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It really seems written in the stars now, and the unfortunate thing is that anything less than an undefeated treble is going to be so underwhelming and uninteresting.

Luckily, one would think that if Xabi plays his best team from here on out they should be expected to win these last four matches.
Read it a couple of times now but Xabi didn't rest anybody yesterday. Wirtz was injured and wouldn't even have been on the bench if the match wasn't that important and Boniface/Schick weren't rested but out for tactical reasons. Alonso played with a false 9 in both legs against Rome so I assume he thought this would work better than a classic striker.