Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Sacked, Backed, then Sacked

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I recall him saying that he wouldn't ask for a penny if they asked him to leave, so if he actually honours that then they would be okay.
If I were them I wouldn't count on that while I was planning to sack him over a completely harmless comment ;)

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Maybe they have agreement in place with someone they rate a lot higher? Of it is just the annual Barcelona shitshow.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Completely mental. He resigned for them, wouldn't have cost them a penny, then they convince him to stay against all odds only to sack him over a minor comment so they have to pay a compensation.
At least they make Bayern look like a (somewhat...) professional club when it comes to coaches... :nervous:

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
The thing that surprised me the most in Xavi's managerial tenure at Barca is his style of play.

Xavi always talked like he was a Football purist and obsessed with Total Football and the 'Barca DNA'. But turns out he has no playing style and Barca are the worst big team to watch in Europe. Xavi's playing style is so ugly that it makes Moyes look good!

Xavi simply cannot coach patterns of play or set up a defense to save his life. Barcelona still don't know how to pass their way out of a press or break down a well organised mid or low block intentionally. Barcelona just cluelessly pass the ball around with back passes and side passes before losing the ball. One of the most boring teams to watch. Ter Stegen was on fire last season which is why they had so many clean sheets in the league.

Barca's squad is actually pretty great but people are underrating it because Xavi is making them look bad. His in-game changes and substitutions are absolutely ridiculous. He behaves like a total man-child on the touchline and is extremely petulant, entitled and immature with his regular outbursts and meltdowns. Says very dumb things in the press conference and never admits to his failures or mistakes.

Amidst all these negatives, Xavi does have a few positives. Seems to be a decent man manager: the players liked him initially and he commands respect due to his playing career. Done well with young players like Yamal and Cubarsi. Majority of his signings have been decent overall.

United, AC Milan or any big club really - should stay far away from him. He's a guaranteed dud. I rate him in the same category as Frank Lampard. Avoid him at all costs!

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
At least they make Bayern look like a (somewhat...) professional club when it comes to coaches... :nervous:
Funny enough both clubs fired the manager, let him stay on for the remainder of the season and then went back on their decision to keep them around longer.

Tuchel refused(?)
Xavi agreed but is now being let go anyway

:lol:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Funny enough both clubs fired the manager, let him stay on for the remainder of the season and then went back on their decision to keep them around longer.

Tuchel refused(?)
Xavi agreed but is now being let go anyway

:lol:
That's a clear 2-1 for Barca though! Bayern only fired Tuchel once. :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Surely they can't sack him over these comments, especially after all that happened before. Even if Laporta is mad at him, that is not a sackable offense and I expect the shitstorm would be gigantic
They can't sack him because he's right and they don't have the money to sack him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which incidentally is also why they were desperate to keep him :D

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They can't sack him because he's right and they don't have the money to sack him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which incidentally is also why they were desperate to keep him :D
Can't make that up. When are their next elections? Surely this whole farce will scratch his image?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can't make that up. When are their next elections? Surely this whole farce will scratch his image?
That is why the farce is happening. And it should be next year I think? Don't remember if terms are 4 or 5 yeare actually

TPM

Supports
Real Madrid
Doubt it, I know it's a comedy show but El Chiringuito had a survey from culés in Barcelona recently and a majority were going him a 7 or better, even 9s! Could t believe it, Laporta just says what most delusional Barca fans want to hear. The fact they were talking about haaland a month ago is shameless.

croadyman

Maybe this is just the kind of deal INEOS complete without the press getting a sniff, let's face it no one had a clue about the Berrada one

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Doubt it, I know it's a comedy show but El Chiringuito had a survey from culés in Barcelona recently and a majority were going him a 7 or better, even 9s! Could t believe it, Laporta just says what most delusional Barca fans want to hear. The fact they were talking about haaland a month ago is shameless.
Which is why Laporta has been acting the way he has and why Xavi's words are such an issue now. He knows what he's doing Laporta, what he can't afford is for someone like Xavi telling the fanbase and socios to stop being so dumb, delusional and gullible. Then Laporta is in the shit because they're in a desperare financial situation right now. They're almost certainly selling Araujo

croadyman

Which is why Laporta has been acting the way he has and why Xavi's words are such an issue now. He knows what he's doing Laporta, what he can't afford is for someone like Xavi telling the fanbase and socios to stop being so dumb, delusional and gullible. Then Laporta is in the shit because they're in a desperare financial situation right now. They're almost certainly selling Araujo
Would love to see Araujo at Utd

saivet

Genuinely confused as to why they are taking such issue with his comments? All he's highlighted is that the financial situation isn't great and they can't just sign whoever they might want. This applies to many clubs and Barca's financial situation is well documented. Is there more to this situation as this seems like their board are overreacting.

croadyman

Genuinely confused as to why they are taking such issue with his comments? All he's highlighted is that the financial situation isn't great and they can't just sign whoever they might want. This applies to many clubs and Barca's financial situation is well documented. Is there more to this situation as this seems like their board are overreacting.
Where do you see him going if he got sacked?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are elected. They can't afford to be seen has bad stewards of the club.

Gandalf

No matter how well reported their financial issues are, inside the Barca bubble it is dismissed as fake news and for Xavi to come out and admit the truth is the ultimate betrayal in the eyes of Laporta. Laporta is essentially the footballing equivalent of Donald Trump, lying every time he opens his mouth and blasting anyone who dares to contradict him.

saivet

No matter how well reported their financial issues are, inside the Barca bubble it is dismissed as fake news and for Xavi to come out and admit the truth is the ultimate betrayal in the eyes of Laporta. Laporta is essentially the footballing equivalent of Donald Trump, lying every time he opens his mouth and blasting anyone who dares to contradict him.
Oh I see, that makes a lot more sense. I suppose even when they were activating all those levers, they were trying to make out that it was all perfectly normal.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is better for him to leave the hot kitchen and go somewhere else anyway.

High expectation, next to no money invest in squad, an extremely young and strong Real Madrid to compete with. May as well just leave.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I have to say Europe got what they deserved.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because that's not the message Laporta has been sending out. Xavi essentially told their base that Laporta is a liar

Teja

Genuine question, would people here take him?

I wouldn't be against it.
I'm definitely for him if the game model that INEOS is preaching looks like Pep-lite. I wonder about that though, given they also talked about English DNA and such. The thing Ashworth was building at Newcastle wasn't a copy of City either - it was more blood and thunder, pacy, physical, tackles flying type of football.

It's going to be an interesting summer, the signings / outgoings will give us the best clue.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh I see, that makes a lot more sense. I suppose even when they were activating all those levers, they were trying to make out that it was all perfectly normal.
The levers were supposed to FIX the problem. They didn't, and that reflects REALLY poorly on Laporta. Doubly so when the reason for the levers are Lewandowski, Raphinha, Kounde, etc, and now they're desperate to get rid of them while relying heavily on a pair of teens from thw academy. 1 league title to kick the problem down the road when it becomes possibly even worse, while Madrid pulls off 2 league/CL doubles in meantime? Yeah. Laporta is a politician, his priority isn't the good of the club, it's to keep his arse on the president's seat

Juicy Juiced

Never liked them. Even before they modern success I never could stand them.

I remember going to Lloret de Mar with high school, it was big deal after war in Bosnia, and there was tour to Nou Camp. I was only one who declined, stayed drinking sangria on the beach and after that ended in some bar killing tequilla shots with locals. What more annoys me its that my father like them, beacuse of Meho Kodro, and I still can see his smile when they pumped us in finals.

dubplate warrior

I'm definitely for him if the game model that INEOS is preaching looks like Pep-lite. I wonder about that though, given they also talked about English DNA and such. The thing Ashworth was building at Newcastle wasn't a copy of City either - it was more blood and thunder, pacy, physical, tackles flying type of football.

It's going to be an interesting summer, the signings / outgoings will give us the best clue.
I think with Wilcox and his history at City it may very well follow the City model.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Never liked them. Even before they modern success I never could stand them.

I remember going to Lloret de Mar with high school, it was big deal after war in Bosnia, and there was tour to Nou Camp. I was only one who declined, stayed drinking sangria on the beach and after that ended in some bar killing tequilla shots with locals. What more annoys me its that my father like them, beacuse of Meho Kodro, and I still can see his smile when they pumped us in finals.
It's funny how most people's dislike of Barcelona on here boils down to this