Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Sacked, Backed, then Sacked

RoyH1

He managed Bayern. He knows.
I know sizewise and in media volume they're comparable. But I don't think Bayern has quite the same political component to it as Barcelona does. Does Bayern openly call for Bavarian independence from the rest of Germany? Barcelona is an integral part of the Catalonian government's PR to achieve independence.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Does Bayern openly call for Bavarian independence from the rest of Germany? Barcelona is an integral part of the Catalonian government's PR to achieve independence.
Must be why Catalonia is failing so badly at it :devil:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I know sizewise and in media volume they're comparable. But I don't think Bayern has quite the same political component to it as Barcelona does. Does Bayern openly call for Bavarian independence from the rest of Germany? Barcelona is an integral part of the Catalonian government's PR to achieve independence.
It's interesting because Bayern are historically definitely representatives of the Bavarian identity in a similar way Barcelona are. Also Barcelona has "Mes que un club" when Bayern has "Mia san mia".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Flick would be an massive improvement on Xavi in terms of playing style and reinstalling the footballing philosophy we all know Barcelona for. But in terms of tactics, man management and overall aura the German lacks a bit and it will be fun season for them.
How so? Flick is a pressing coach through and through.

When he was Germany's coach we played Belgium and after we took a corner, a Belgium player (think it was Lukebakio) was through on goal halfway through his own half. I have never seen anything like this in professional football, he was like 15 meters away from his own penalty box and the only opponent between him and our goal was the keeper.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How so? Flick is a pressing coach through and through.

When he was Germany's coach we played Belgium and after we took a corner, a Belgium player (think it was Lukebakio) was through on goal halfway through his own half. I have never seen anything like this in professional football, he was like 15 meters away from his own penalty box and the only opponent between him and our goal was the keeper.
If my memory serves me well, he had a scheme with nearly everyone pressing inside in the final third while two defenders are covering the flanks and leaves a no man's land in the middle?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Flick would be an massive improvement on Xavi in terms of playing style and reinstalling the footballing philosophy we all know Barcelona for. But in terms of tactics, man management and overall aura the German lacks a bit and it will be fun season for them.
Say what? Flick is very far removed from what I would consider Barca's philosophy (433 + possession football).

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Say what? Flick is very far removed from what I would consider Barca's philosophy (433 + possession football).
Nope, its not a matter of formation or keeping possession. Its a matter of game principles and positional play..juego de posicion wich was expected from Xavi but was not delivered. There were rumours even that Domenec Torrent would become Flick's assistant. Torrent served 10 years as a faithful lieutenant of Pep Guardiola at Barcelona B, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and the first two seasons at Manchester City and i believe the idea behind this is to help Flick in restoring that way of playing at Barcelona..

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Nope, its not a matter of formation or keeping possession. Its a matter of game principles and positional play..juego de posicion wich was expected from Xavi but was not delivered. There were rumours even that Domenec Torrent would become Flick's assistant. Torrent served 10 years as a faithful lieutenant of Pep Guardiola at Barcelona B, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and the first two seasons at Manchester City and i believe the idea behind this is to help Flick in restoring that way of playing at Barcelona..
Flick isn't really known for that

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Tbh, that doesn't sound like Flick either. Flick's approach was rather reckless in attack which exposed the transitional defense.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If my memory serves me well, he had a scheme with nearly everyone pressing inside in the final third while two defenders are covering the flanks and leaves a no man's land in the middle?
I can't remember the exact pressing structure but "nearly everyone pressing inside the final third" sounds about right ;)

RoyH1

It's interesting because Bayern are historically definitely representatives of the Bavarian identity in a similar way Barcelona are. Also Barcelona has "Mes que un club" when Bayern has "Mia san mia".
I've never seen a club sponsored tifo or banner saying "Bavaria is not Germany". In Barsa the political message is on a completely different level of importance to the club.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So he told Barca he wanted to leave at the end of the season. They convinced him to stay only to sack him at the end of the season anyway

Blood Mage

Flick doesn't scream Barcelona manager to me, but maybe it's time for them to put aside their idealism for a bit. Tiki taka is dead.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
This is cold

Xavi might go into depression.
Resigned, Talked into reversing his decision, weeks later sacked

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Flick doesn't scream Barcelona manager to me, but maybe it's time for them to put aside their idealism for a bit. Tiki taka is dead.
They were playing straight up Tony Pulis football with Luuk de Jong and Pique up front at times under Koeman.

Pickle85

So he told Barca he wanted to leave at the end of the season. They convinced him to stay only to sack him at the end of the season anyway

Does this mean that they now have to pay him off whereas they wouldn't if they'd have accepted his resignation?

More great financial decisions from the world's greatest club if so...

Rockets Redglare

Has chemical Xavi played a blinder here? Decided to stay then purposefully got the sack for the payout?

RoyH1

Does this mean that they now have to pay him off whereas they wouldn't if they'd have accepted his resignation?

More great financial decisions from the world's greatest club if so...
In theory yes. But there are some reports that say that he's been asked for the good of the club to waive his payout. The argument being 'he was quitting anyway'. I don't know how much his staff buy into that logic either if it's true that he'd take one for the club.

Barca is such a joke of a club.
Més que un meme.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't he win the treble in 2020 with Bayern? I'd like us to make a similarly shite appointment if possible.
Their treble is a bit meh due to covid and the 1 legged ties.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Are Bayern still going ahead with Kompany? There are several managers now free who would be a better choice at this point.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not sure if sarcastic but we literally did this to Ole. Rightly so too, sentimentality shouldn't get in the way of making practical decisions.
Did you? I don't remember him announcing that he wants to leave after the season in which he got fired.