Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ainu

Ghost Song looks fantastic, I've had that on my list since I first saw it pop up. Pentiment is another one. I still don't really know what this game is about, but it looks interesting.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
Right I’m getting myself an Xbox next month, undecided whether to get an Xbox Series S or Series X and there’s a bit of a price difference.

I want to play Football Manager 23 on a big screen.
Does anyone play it on a Series S? I know it runs 5 nations compared to Series X’s 10.

Game pass looks good too, there’s quite a few games I would play, A Plague Tale, Gears of War, Two Point Campus, Return to Monley Island, Flight Simulator, various Halo and Age of Empires 2 HD (in January) and Age of Empires 4, Starfield, both next year, and a few others. Always been a fan of Age of Empires games.

Im not too bothered by 4K gaming but I would usually buy the more expensive piece of equipment to future proof things.
Like if I bought the Series S would it be able to fully run Age of Empires 4 at maximum number of on screen units etc or does the Series S have to run all games?

Any Xbox veterans any thoughts?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Right I’m getting myself an Xbox next month, undecided whether to get an Xbox Series S or Series X and there’s a bit of a price difference.

I want to play Football Manager 23 on a big screen.
Does anyone play it on a Series S? I know it runs 5 nations compared to Series X’s 10.

Game pass looks good too, there’s quite a few games I would play, A Plague Tale, Gears of War, Two Point Campus, Return to Monley Island, Flight Simulator, various Halo and Age of Empires 2 HD (in January) and Age of Empires 4, Starfield, both next year, and a few others. Always been a fan of Age of Empires games.

Im not too bothered by 4K gaming but I would usually buy the more expensive piece of equipment to future proof things.
Like if I bought the Series S would it be able to fully run Age of Empires 4 at maximum number of on screen units etc or does the Series S have to run all games?

Any Xbox veterans any thoughts?
No idea about aoe but you might fill that hard drive quite fast if you plan on having multiple of those installed. Flight Sim alone is huge. By the time you’ve bought the memory card for it you may as well have got the Series X, so something worth considering.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
No idea about aoe but you might fill that hard drive quite fast if you plan on having multiple of those installed. Flight Sim alone is huge. By the time you’ve bought the memory card for it you may as well have got the Series X, so something worth considering.
Yeah i'll probably get the Series X. Id be sat there kicking myself for not spending the extra £200.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
If you can afford the X then it's a no brainer

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Signalis is an absolute gem of a game on Game Pass right now. It’s been amazing three weeks for subscribers with that, Monkey Island, Ghost Song, Pentiment and Somerville.

Sarni

Pentiment is 10.43GB downloading it to see how it plays.
I started it to just get the feeling of the game as I wanted to play it later (after finishing Signalis and Somerville first) but ended up so hooked that I will probably just finish it and get back to the other two. It’s really not much of a game as there doesn’t seem to be any combat, puzzles or anything, it’s more like an interactive book but it’s so pretty, well written and engaging that it is a completely delightful experience.

Also, similar to As Dusk Falls your choices matter a lot and seem to shape the story in a significant way so replayability is going to be great.

Fully Fledged

I started it to just get the feeling of the game as I wanted to play it later (after finishing Signalis and Somerville first) but ended up so hooked that I will probably just finish it and get back to the other two. It’s really not much of a game as there doesn’t seem to be any combat, puzzles or anything, it’s more like an interactive book but it’s so pretty, well written and engaging that it is a completely delightful experience.

Also, similar to As Dusk Falls your choices matter a lot and seem to shape the story in a significant way so replayability is going to be great.
I've been playing for a few hours now it has me intrigued. Yeah it remembers your decisions like at one point I had travelled to Italy so couldn't read French when looking at a book.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't see the point in these as you don't get to keep the game. I loved the 360 ones.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

I started this a few days ago and am so surprised.

As a curiosity, the game seems extremely inspired on Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which was one of my favourite books growing up. Even the library map seems the same. Still too early in the game to know how similar the remainder is. Only meaningful difference so far seems to be the date it's set in, some 200 years later.

What a lovely game, I hope that studio does more of this.

Sarni

I started this a few days ago and am so surprised.

As a curiosity, the game seems extremely inspired on Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which was one of my favourite books growing up. Even the library map seems the same. Still too early in the game to know how similar the remainder is. Only meaningful difference so far seems to be the date it's set in, some 200 years later.

What a lovely game, I hope that studio does more of this.
Just finished it. Good game overall, I felt it lost a bit of its novelty in the second half and I wish there were more locations but it's definitely something for them to build on going forward. I'd also like to see more games like this in the future where story/choices are essential and gameplay is secondary/non-existent. It's such a relaxing experience.

Bebe

Red Dead 2 running at a much higher resolution on this than Playstation has been a very welcome surprise. Game looks absolutely pin sharp.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Red Dead 2 running at a much higher resolution on this than Playstation has been a very welcome surprise. Game looks absolutely pin sharp.
Wouldn't expect there to be much difference?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Picked up an X yesterday for $600 CAD. Played about an hour of Cyberpunk just to see the difference and it's night and day. CDPR should've waited and released it for next gen instead of letting it come out on PS4/Xbox One.

BristolRuss

Wouldn't expect there to be much difference?
Neither the Series consoles nor PS5 have received dedicated RDR2 patches. However, the Xbox One X version of RDR2 ran at a native 4k, whereas the PS4 Pro version was running at 1920 x 2160 checkerboarded which was blurry AF. I don't know if RDR2 has FPS boost enabled on the Series X but for sure it is running at a native 4k unlike the PS versions.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm buying a Samsung TV in a couple of weeks, so naturally I'll be trying out the Xbox game pass. I haven't played Xbox since 360, so would appreciate some suggestions on the games I should play.

I already know I'll start off with Halo Infinite, then after that I'm open to suggestions. What are you favourites?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm buying a Samsung TV in a couple of weeks, so naturally I'll be trying out the Xbox game pass. I haven't played Xbox since 360, so would appreciate some suggestions on the games I should play.

I already know I'll start off with Halo Infinite, then after that I'm open to suggestions. What are you favourites?
Ori (both), Plague Tale, Forza Horizon 5, Flight Sim, Yakuza 0, No Man’s Sky, As Dusk Falls, Hellblade.

What I can think of off the top of my head. Assuming you’re on a new console.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Also very excited for those two. Have you played the first Hellblade?
One of my very favourites from the last gen dude. 3 play throughs and platinum. The third act and finale was incredible. I've not found too many folk who enjoyed it quite as much as me but they all seemed to quit before 'the tree', which is when it actually kind of starts proper.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ori (both), Plague Tale, Forza Horizon 5, Flight Sim, Yakuza 0, No Man’s Sky, As Dusk Falls, Hellblade.

What I can think of off the top of my head. Assuming you’re on a new console.
It's not a console, but yeah sort of. It's the cloud gaming thing you can get with new Samsung TVs, so I'll just be buying the controller and hooking the TV up with the game pass and playing it that way. Thanks though, appreciate the list. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Last edited:

caid

I'd add Sea of Thieves to the above list. Theres a couple other good multiplayer games i cant think of right now. Its a better console for online gaming in general, though i dont know how steaming would effect that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
One of my very favourites from the last gen dude. 3 play throughs and platinum. The third act and finale was incredible. I've not found too many folk who enjoyed it quite as much as me but they all seemed to quit before 'the tree', which is when it actually kind of starts proper.
I loved the fighting in it. Although basic felt weighty and like there was some skill to it. Hope they expand on that.

Sales don’t mat……
So easy to reel in

I'd add Sea of Thieves to the above list. Theres a couple other good multiplayer games i cant think of right now. Its a better console for online gaming in general, though i dont know how steaming would effect that.
Yeah I nearly mentioned it. Does rely on having mates involved and then it’s a right laugh.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Use google for them. The 512gb one is sold out.

They do, however, have a 1tb seagate for £130

Seagate Game Drive for Xbox SSD | very.co.uk
Thanks. I saw where I went wrong - under the Gaming nav menu there's a link specifically for Data Storage under Accessories. I thought they'd just put it under the Xbox stuff but yeah the search sucks.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Weren't people wanking themselves silly over that hot wheels game?

Sarni

Was this shared? Eastward came out today and I've heard it's a very solid 7/10.

Rainbow Billy is a masterpiece btw.
Eastward has been on Switch for a couple of years I think, I bought it last year and got to about halfway through, very good game.

High on Life looks very promising and I’ve wanted Hot Wheels for a while so very happy about this lineup.