Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
sun dried tomato, caramelised onion and goats cheese :drool:

Now quick let’s move on before @Damien gets here and shouts at us.
The lack of meat is upsetting but considering, some decent choices there. Hope your mum enjoyed her birthday.

Alock1

Anybody who lurks on resetera knows how heavily that site leans towards Sony. 57% rated the showcase an 8+. 80% a 7+.

Compare that to previous years and it's stark. And in a pandemic and with a ton of announced games (Avowed, Forza Motorsport, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild) not even shown, and big studios (Coalition, The Initiative, ID Software) missing.

But according to this place it was a disappointment and bang average.

Love it.

Bebe

Anybody who lurks on resetera knows how heavily that site leans towards Sony. 57% rated the showcase an 8+. 80% a 7+.

Compare that to previous years and it's stark. And in a pandemic and with a ton of announced games (Avowed, Forza Motorsport, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild) not even shown, and big studios (Coalition, The Initiative, ID Software) missing.

Love it.
I think the absence of the games and studios you mentioned (along with the general lack of game play) makes the "disappointing" claim legitimate. I certainly wasn't enthused by much of what was shown. Your point is more that the general direction of Xbox is highly promising, and the gaming community tends to view e3 conferences as an indicator of where that direction is leading. Both are fair points imo.

Alock1

I think the absence of the games and studios you mentioned (along with the general lack of game play) makes the "disappointing" claim legitimate. I certainly wasn't enthused by much of what was shown. Your point is more that the general direction of Xbox is highly promising, and the gaming community tends to view e3 conferences as an indicator of where that direction is leading. Both are fair points imo.
I think you have to be massively lenient on the lack of gameplay front considering covid and WFH. Just look at what others are showing.

Looking at what they haven't shown seems an unfair reason really. It would have meant more CGI and duplication of content when they show it next year. Need to have rotation between studios and focus on the content coming in the next 18 months.

Bebe

I think you have to be massively lenient on the lack of gameplay front considering covid and WFH. Just look at what others are showing.

Looking at what they haven't shown seems an unfair reason really. It would have meant more CGI and duplication of content when they show it next year. Need to have rotation between studios and focus on the content coming in the next 18 months.
I'm only doing so in response to your bringing the already announced games and missing studios up. Quite simply, I watched the press conference and didn't see much to be excited about, beyond some properties that are at least 18 months away if not more. It indicates to me that I can probably wait on buying an Xbox for a year or two, personally. Which presumably isn't what MS are going for.

One can be lenient given covid and all that, I certainly wasn't expecting anything more than what we got. And it would have been unreasonable to expect more. So in that sense, I suppose "disappointing" is the wrong word. Call it "unexciting" if that fits better.

DavelinaJolie

For me I look at the games that were on display today and the ones that interest me are a long way off (Starfield, TOW2, Redline), except for Forza and 12 Minutes. I'm glad it's no longer the Halo/Gears showcase because I'm not a fan of either.

What is encouraging is the sheer variety of games, upthread there's someone talking about quantity over quality... I mean, how can that even be judged yet? We don't know how good these games are, no one outside of a studio has played them! With the amount of studios they now have, they have the ability to do so many different things, I'm glad they aren't just gonna start pumping out 50+ hour third person open world games.

BristolRuss

I missed during the presser that Hades will be coming to gamepass day 1. That's great news as I've heard really good things about it and have been waiting for a good way to play it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...eduled-to-2023-but-could-slip-to-2024.441850/

Everwild rebooted after losing creative director last year (game was initially announced in 2019). Could be out 2023, possibly 2024

Question: Hey guys, do you think we will see Everwild during E3?
Grubb: No, so...I mean, it got rebooted, this thing had to get rebooted, everyone knows the
creative director left and when he left they restarted production on that game, so it's ways off, it's currently scheduling a window of like 2023.....that game is schedule to 2023 but there's a lot of stuff schedule to 2023 from XBOX so if there is any reason to push to 2024 it will get pushed, it's easily on the zone that this could happen.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/06/13/starfield-bethesda/

Todd Howard discusses Starfield and describes it as Skyrim in space - also confident of meeting release date that is over a year away.

And finally, as I said in the E3(?) thread, I didn't have volume on during conference so I missed that the Flight Simulator Top Gun mention. Here's the trailer video:

Alock1

https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...eduled-to-2023-but-could-slip-to-2024.441850/

Everwild rebooted after losing creative director last year (game was initially announced in 2019). Could be out 2023, possibly 2024

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/06/13/starfield-bethesda/

Todd Howard discusses Starfield and describes it as Skyrim in space - also confident of meeting release date that is over a year away.

And finally, as I said in the E3(?) thread, I didn't have volume on during conference so I missed that the Flight Simulator Top Gun mention. Here's the trailer video:

2023 is looking stacked at the moment. I think some will slip to 2024 and equally some pulled into next year.

Everwild, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Contraband, Outer World's 2, Fable, Perfect Dark, new Coalition IP/Gears of War 6, new Inexile game, new Compulsion game, new ID Software game, Project Dragon/IO Interactive's game.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Any other expandable memory cards on the market yet other than the €200+ Seagates? I’m getting mighty close to filling up as downloaded a few that have arrived to gamepass

Alock1

Any other expandable memory cards on the market yet other than the €200+ Seagates? I’m getting mighty close to filling up as downloaded a few that have arrived to gamepass
Not yet! You can use any standard external HDD/SSD though. New games it can only act as cold storage though so you'd need to copy to and from the Xbox to play.

Alock1

Well done on filling it up with NO GAMEZ

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Not yet! You can use any standard external HDD/SSD though. New games it can only act as cold storage though so you'd need to copy to and from the Xbox to play.
ya, knew that part alright. Ideal if I can plan ahead, but I literally pick up the controller when I get a few minutes here and there at the moment :lol: I might get to delete Cyberpunk too, I’m just achievement hunting at the mo - get another 2 games on then easily

Alock1

ya, knew that part alright. Ideal if I can plan ahead, but I literally pick up the controller when I get a few minutes here and there at the moment :lol: I might get to delete Cyberpunk too, I’m just achievement hunting at the mo - get another 2 games on then easily
When you can stream directly to console that'll be an easy win if you have a decent connection. Will make gamepass hopping so easy and can always try before having to download.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
When you can stream directly to console that'll be an easy win if you have a decent connection. Will make gamepass hopping so easy and can always try before having to download.
ive actually used the beta app for both xcloud in the browser and also streaming from my own Xbox to my laptop. Works pretty damn good and I’m lucky to have fibre to the home, but obviously you are losing the grunt from the series X side currently in this phase - be cool to eventually play through the Xbox itself and hopefully retain the clarity and visual quality like you have it physically installed already.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
sun dried tomato, caramelised onion and goats cheese :drool:

Now quick let’s move on before @Damien gets here and shouts at us.
Some cracking toppings there. Would add some meat though, unless you're a veggie, of course.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is the Xbox thread for discussing Xbox games. If you wish to console war and compare it to other consoles, take it to the console war thread.

I'd also appreciate less of the passive aggressive bullshit from people who make snarky comments just because I'm not around every second of every minute of every hour of every day. When I'm on, I do what I can. You're pathetic. Enjoy the conference in 2 hours time rather than acting the hardman on an internet forum.
Great post.

afrocentricity

That’s nice, but name a company that produces games that get almost perfect scores one after another.

The Witcher was amazing by every bodies standard and then Cyberpunk failed.

It’s hard to get it perfect every time, and it’s also hard to please everyone
I still don't get The Witcher (3) hype. So seeing CP crash and burn was not as surprising to me as to some of you.

Love it.
It kinda was though, I watched it yesterday. My expectations were up because I saw a few posters proclaiming.... Nevertheless, I was left underwhelmed.

How expectations have fallen eh? I feel like the 1st XB1 E3 was better as I remember seeing games that I wanted to play and feeling a bit of fomo. Like, compare this to Sony's E3 of dreams for example? Go back to that thread and compare it with this one...

Y'all need to stop overhyping and gassing ffs.

evil_geko

He is not overhyping anything tbh, everywhere I look I see very positive reactions to Xbox showcase, if you didn't see anything you personally liked it doesn't make the showcase itself bad.

Last edited:

Alock1

It kinda was though, I watched it yesterday. My expectations were up because I saw a few posters proclaiming.... Nevertheless, I was left underwhelmed.

How expectations have fallen eh? I feel like the 1st XB1 E3 was better as I remember seeing games that I wanted to play and feeling a bit of fomo. Like, compare this to Sony's E3 of dreams for example? Go back to that thread and compare it with this one...

The 1st XB1 E3 definitely wasn't better and was a disaster, and half the games back then were years off and it was far too early to show. And yes, Sony's conferences get a lot more reaction here because a lot more people on the forum own a Playstation.

I don't think I'm overhyping anything. Not only is it a theme commonly shared, but I already caveated that the dynamic of the event for a gamepass subscriber (who is locked in for the next few years without investing another £) is completely different to somebody like yourself. 27 games were shown that I'll get full access to without spending any money. The variety and quality of those games was generally good-very good, and most of them are coming in the next 18 months which is a more than reasonable window.

For somebody who isn't invested in the ecosystem already then yeah, it's a good conference but maybe not enough to get you to care about buying in. To say it didn't do wonders for you is one thing, but to say it's a disappointment or a poor conference is just disingenuous by any reasonable standards. We all know if that same conference was Sony the response here would be wildly different.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
@Alock1 It might be worth just letting them have their cake. At some point they'll get bored of whatever IP Sony has decided to reboot and start hankering for some new games. Then BAM. That's where we come in holding our Xbox Controllers and ushering them towards the promised land.

I won't judge either. All are welcome in these hallowed plains.

Alock1

Microsoft must be paying @Alock1 a lot of money. To think he had an interview to go and work for PlayStation.
I couldn't bring myself to interview mate.

MS see Redcafe as the acid test when it comes to Xbox so they're filling my pockets don't you worry

b82REZ

The 1st XB1 E3 definitely wasn't better and was a disaster, and half the games back then were years off and it was far too early to show. And yes, Sony's conferences get a lot more reaction here because a lot more people on the forum own a Playstation.

I don't think I'm overhyping anything. Not only is it a theme commonly shared, but I already caveated that the dynamic of the event for a gamepass subscriber (who is locked in for the next few years without investing another £) is completely different to somebody like yourself. 27 games were shown that I'll get full access to without spending any money. The variety and quality of those games was generally good-very good, and most of them are coming in the next 18 months which is a more than reasonable window.

For somebody who isn't invested in the ecosystem already then yeah, it's a good conference but maybe not enough to get you to care about buying in. To say it didn't do wonders for you is one thing, but to say it's a disappointment or a poor conference is just disingenuous by any reasonable standards. We all know if that same conference was Sony the response here would be wildly different.
You absolutely are.

afrocentricity

He is not overhyping anything tbh, everywhere I look I see very positive reactions to Xbox showcase, if you didn't see anything you personally didn't like it doesn't make the showcase itself bad.
It means that my expectations were off. Can't say for sure but if I had watched this when I wasnt expecting much then maybe I'd have been less underwhelmed.

The conference that showed Titanfall etc? Really?

:houllier:
disingenuous you know.... Take that shit to the other thread. I'm tellng you I was underwhelmed by it. I literally fell asleep, me and my boy. It is what it is...

If I am the only one? So be it....

Last edited:

Bosws87

Be interesting to see how Flight Simulator runs on the series X as its a monster on the pc side.

I've seen its 30fps not really surprising.

Halo looks like Halo (not for me console shooters) does look super clean though very pc like for the image quality.

looks like there's about 4 games i'd be interested in coming to game pass for the rest of the year from the graphic posted, majority of them i've played before/completed.

Hades, possibly being the best on the list although i'm very excited for Back 4 Blood it if plays as well as L4D 1/2 then it will be one of the best co-op experiences around!

Last edited: