Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
18 months? Wow, I didn't think it'd be that long.

Unless they announce something for early next year it looks like a barren couple of years for a new console. Absolutely no exclusives of note in that time is disgusting.

I'm going to guess Starfield will close the conference and they'll focus on the new Halo, Gears and Forza.
Next year will have Forza Motorsport, Redfall (I said earlier I wouldn't be surprised to see Arkane pivot to an open world game), Tales and Starfield as a minimum. But I'd be very surprised if we didn't also see one or two of Avowed, Hellblade 2, State of Decay 3, Contraband, or a new game from someone like Compulsion, Inexile etc.

b82REZ

Next year will have Forza Motorsport, Redfall (I said earlier I wouldn't be surprised to see Arkane pivot to an open world game), Tales and Starfield as a minimum. But I'd be very surprised if we didn't also see one or two of Avowed, Hellblade 2, State of Decay 3, Contraband, or a new game from someone like Compulsion, Inexile etc.
You can't draw any conclusions about Redfall, it was entirely CG. For all we know at this stage it's a side scrolling 2d platformer.

Again those games are just not system sellers. The Series X just isn't a serious consideration yet and likely won't be until Q4 2022 at the earliest.

I still think they've made Starfield the Xbox exclusive and Elder Scrolls will end up cross platform seeing a how well Skyrim sold on everything.

Alock1

You can't draw any conclusions about Redfall, it was entirely CG. For all we know at this stage it's a side scrolling 2d platformer.

Again those games are just not system sellers. The Series X just isn't a serious consideration yet and likely won't be until Q4 2022 at the earliest.

I still think they've made Starfield the Xbox exclusive and Elder Scrolls will end up cross platform seeing a how well Skyrim sold on everything.
It's an open world story driven single/co-op player game. But yes hard to tell the quality or appeal from that. But the devs have good pedigree and it's releasing in a year.. (supposedly)

Alock1

For you the Series X isn't a serious consideration yet. For many, it is. It's gonna sell well, better than the last console and gain ground.

No it won't sell more than PS5 or Switch but that doesn't mean it can't be a big success in its own right. All the foundations are there for it.

If Elder Scrolls does end up everywhere but is day 1 on gamepass for me then that's all I really care about. Though, for what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I doubt it will be on other consoles.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Nah. I'm fairly sure Elder Scrolls will stay as Xbox exclusive. Microsoft's main objective is to sell Game Pass and Elder Scrolls is one of Bethesda's lynchpin IPs so they'll want to utilise that to shift subscriptions.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Wow my £3.50 a month gamepass deal looks good value for the next 3 years.

b82REZ

For you the Series X isn't a serious consideration yet. For many, it is. It's gonna sell well, better than the last console and gain ground.

No it won't sell more than PS5 or Switch but that doesn't mean it can't be a big success in its own right. All the foundations are there for it.

If Elder Scrolls does end up everywhere but is day 1 on gamepass for me then that's all I really care about. Though, for what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I doubt it will be on other consoles.
The hardware is there, no doubt. The software isn't.

Gamepass alone isn't enough. 95% of those day one ganepass games were nothing of note. MS seem to be going for a quantity over quality approach at this stage.

Also there's no way gamepass is sustainable in its current model. I expect steep price increases or subscription tiers to come in eventually. That'll likely coincide with Starfield, the first real system seller they'll have.

b82REZ

Nah. I'm fairly sure Elder Scrolls will stay as Xbox exclusive. Microsoft's main objective is to sell Game Pass and Elder Scrolls is one of Bethesda's lynchpin IPs so they'll want to utilise that to shift subscriptions.
There leaving so much money on the table by doing that though.

I'm not averse to getting an Xbox eventually but there will be some who will never consider it.

Alock1

The hardware is there, no doubt. The software isn't.

Gamepass alone isn't enough. 95% of those day one ganepass games were nothing of note. MS seem to be going for a quantity over quality approach at this stage.

Also there's no way gamepass is sustainable in its current model. I expect steep price increases or subscription tiers to come in eventually. That'll likely coincide with Starfield, the first real system seller they'll have.
Hades, Tales, Warhammer, Crossfire, Back4Blood, Halo, Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, The Ascent, Tunic, 12 Minutes, Stalker 2, Somerville, Diablo 2 Remastered off the top of my head all look well worthwhile and of note to me mate. That list alone is great value and there will be plenty more unannounced that hit this year, including some more big hitters I'm sure after the success of Outriders and increasing subscriber numbers.

Yes we don't know much about Starfield, Redfall, Contraband, The Outer Worlds 2 but clearly they will be worth checking out and significant games.

You are hard to please and like about 5 games ever made. We get it.

Alock1

I'm not averse to getting an Xbox eventually but there will be some who will never consider it.
People can play it on PC, or by the time Elder Scrolls 6 comes out, xCloud on 7g.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

They're looking at the bigger picture. Spending so much money on the third party games for Game Pass, expanding xCloud to TVs and other devices, wanting to expand the subscription numbers to nine digits then raise the prices from there when people are hooked in. Microsoft as a whole make a ridiculous amount every quarter. They'll honestly won't be bothered by missing out on the £150m or whatever from PS5 as they'll make so much from PC and Game Pass.

Alock1

But they've never been cross platform so the analogy doesn't hold up.
Spiderman has been.

And they have put Horizon on PC because it opens up new revenue for them so clearly they are thinking about it.

Not Xbox but PC and longer term cloud is almost certain.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
But they've never been cross platform so the analogy doesn't hold up.
So you’re telling me that if today they dropped Spider-Man, The Last of Us etc on the Xbox it wouldn’t sell.
Yeah that’s what I thought…

So what Skyrim used to be cross plat.
Xbox has no games, Xbox has no games

Skyrim becomes an Xbox owned franchise and all of a sudden it doesn’t make sense to keep it exclusive

b82REZ

Spiderman has been.

And they have put Horizon on PC because it opens up new revenue for them so clearly they are thinking about it.

Not Xbox but PC and longer term cloud is almost certain.
Well yes there has been Spiderman games across a variety of generations and consoles. Stop playing silly buggers, you know he meant the Insomniac version, you know the good ones.

Sony's model seems to be release a selection of games on PC just before a sequel is announced or released.

I have been told some details on the Guerilla games on PC I'm not at liberty to share here, but the difference between what Sony are doing re PC releases and MS is night and day.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
MS probably make more money in a month than Sony do in a year. The idea that they need to raise gamepass prices soon to sustain it or that they'll lose out by not releasing their games on PS is silly considering it's just pocket change to them.

b82REZ

So you’re telling me that if today they dropped Spider-Man, The Last of Us etc on the Xbox it wouldn’t sell.
Yeah that’s what I thought…

So what Skyrim used to be cross plat.
Xbox has no games, Xbox has no games

Skyrim becomes an Xbox owned franchise and all of a sudden it doesn’t make sense to keep it exclusive
I didn't say it didn't make sense to keep it exclusive. I said they'd be daft to leave all that money on the table. Over it's 10 year life span Skyrim has released on every major platform. To alienate those gamers by forcing consumers into a new ecosystem to play the next installment in a traditionally cross platform series may have a deleterious effect.

For someone who doesn't even own an Xbox you sure are sensitive over any discussion or criticism around the console.

b82REZ

When all else fails dismiss a long list of clearly decent games as being not 'of note'
Decent is subjective and all of the games you listed are timed exclusives or releasing simultaneously on PS5 and PC.

You act like Gamepass is the saviour of gaming, it really isn't. The games you listed are not going to get your average Joe to buy an Xbox. The analogy I used last week still stands up, Gamepass is the modern day demo disc, the difference being you can play the games to completion for the period they're on Gamepass.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I didn't say it didn't make sense to keep it exclusive. I said they'd be daft to leave all that money on the table. Over it's 10 year life span Skyrim has released on every major platform. To alienate those gamers by forcing consumers into a new ecosystem to play the next installment in a traditionally cross platform series may have a deleterious effect.

For someone who doesn't even own an Xbox you sure are sensitive over any discussion or criticism around the console.
Nah I just find it funny.
I’m open to playing games so I wanna see as many drop as possible.

Why would it be deleterious?
So what it used to be cross platform?

Things change. Just like how Xbox used to get timed exclusive stuff on COD and then it switched to PS.

As said, I just find it funny that the PS side love to throw the no games argument, but hate the fact that the new Elder scrolls is now an exclusive.

b82REZ

MS probably make more money in a month than Sony do in a year. The idea that they need to raise gamepass prices soon to sustain it or that they'll lose out by not releasing their games on PS is silly considering it's just pocket change to them.
These companies didn't get to those eye watering amounts of money by doing that though. Yes, they may take the hit on Elder Scrolls and make it exclusive but no exec or CEO is ever going to be as dismissive of tens of millions as the posters on here.

Balljy

When all else fails dismiss a long list of clearly decent games as being not 'of note'
I was impressed with MS today in that as far as I could tell all the games were on PC too (I may have missed one or two) and AoE4 was obviously PC only. This really does show that they are seeing Xbox as the entire platform, not just the hardware. Great news for PC gamers and Microsoft will definitely get people subscribing who wouldn't normally get the Xbox hardware when the big games start releasing. I was a bit concerned that PC may only be some of the games, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Where it may fall over is with games like Starfield as they may have converted some people to the hardware, but that's probably minor in comparison to the potentially millions of PC gamers.

b82REZ

Nah I just find it funny.
I’m open to playing games so I wanna see as many drop as possible.

Why would it be deleterious?
So what it used to be cross platform?

Things change. Just like how Xbox used to get timed exclusive stuff on COD and then it switched to PS.

As said, I just find it funny that the PS side love to throw the no games argument, but hate the fact that the new Elder scrolls is now an exclusive.
I must have missed that in the conference. I'm speculating they'd be daft to ignore the millions on PS5 (realistically the next Scrolls game is not being ported to Switch).

Gamers are very loyal in general. Making people buy a console to play a game will obviously piss a huge amount of the gaming community off.

I'm lucky, I usually buy all consoles. The exception being last gen as there wasn't a single game throughout the life of the One that made me get one.

I genuinely hope MS start smashing the exclusives out. Then I will buy an X. But like I've said, they're still a long way off attracting gamers like me who will buy multiple consoles if there's games to justify the cost of entry.

Alock1

I must have missed that in the conference. I'm speculating they'd be daft to ignore the millions on PS5 (realistically the next Scrolls game is not being ported to Switch).

Gamers are very loyal in general. Making people buy a console to play a game will obviously piss a huge amount of the gaming community off.

I'm lucky, I usually buy all consoles. The exception being last gen as there wasn't a single game throughout the life of the One that made me get one.

I genuinely hope MS start smashing the exclusives out. Then I will buy an X. But like I've said, there still a long way off attracting gamers like me who will buy multiple consoles if there's games to justify the cost of entry.
All the games will be on PC and xCloud so you won't ever need to buy one.

izzydiggler

I thought it was a great show...loads of games I want to play and most on Game Pass too. Xbox has become my favoured platform this gen...I barely play on my PS5.

Alock1

Decent is subjective and all of the games you listed are timed exclusives or releasing simultaneously on PS5 and PC.

You act like Gamepass is the saviour of gaming, it really isn't. The games you listed are not going to get your average Joe to buy an Xbox. The analogy I used last week still stands up, Gamepass is the modern day demo disc, the difference being you can play the games to completion for the period they're on Gamepass.
All will be on PC yes. Not many will come to PS5 and those that will, will cost. Add up the cost of those coming to PS5 and it probably pays the yearly sub of gamepass without using deals.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

I genuinely hope MS start smashing the exclusives out. Then I will buy an X. But like I've said, they're still a long way off attracting gamers like me who will buy multiple consoles if there's games to justify the cost of entry.
You didn’t by the Xbox one as there was no games but sounds like you’d buy the series X for games like Elder scrolls and Starfield, so that seems a successful acquisition by them

b82REZ

All the games will be on PC and xCloud so you won't ever need to buy one.
I have no real interest in streaming, and while my PC is very good, generally speaking I prefer console gaming as it allows me to play in the comfort of my living room and makes playing locally much easier.

But your point does stand for many. If I'm a casual games and I see I can buy a streaming stick or app on my phone why would I buy a £450 console?

IMO MS business model isn't sustainable. While I'm sure they've accounted for huge losses initially no company is going to continually run at a loss to get one over their rivals.

b82REZ

All will be on PC yes. Not many will come to PS5 and those that will, will cost. Add up the cost of those coming to PS5 and it probably pays the yearly sub of gamepass without using deals.
The price is irrelevant to me. And even if it wasn't I still prefer physical copies to digital 90% of the time.

What happens if Gamepass servers are hacked or DDosed? These are all very real concerns for someone like me whose main hobby and past time is gaming.

Alock1

I have no real interest in streaming, and while my PC is very good, generally speaking I prefer console gaming as it allows me to play in the comfort of my living room and makes playing locally much easier.

But your point does stand for many. If I'm a casual games and I see I can buy a streaming stick or app on my phone why would I buy a £450 console?

IMO MS business model isn't sustainable. While I'm sure they've accounted for huge losses initially no company is going to continually run at a loss to get one over their rivals.
Who is telling you that you should buy an Xbox. Not me. Not even Microsoft. They want you to sub to gamepass and the easiest way for them to get you to do that is via Xbox, but if you will do it via a PC/streaming stick/TV app/browser then that's just as good.

Good job you aren't running the business then :lol:

Alock1

The price is irrelevant to me. And even if it wasn't I still prefer physical copies to digital 90% of the time.

What happens if Gamepass servers are hacked or DDosed? These are all very real concerns for someone like me whose main hobby and past time is gaming.
Then yes. Buy physical. They're fair concerns if you don't like digital.

No subscription in the world is for everyone.

These days there are less and less people like you that really care about physical. But for those that do, absolutely, stay away.

b82REZ

Who is telling you that you should buy an Xbox. Not me. Not even Microsoft. They want you to sub to gamepass and the easiest way for them to get you to do that is via Xbox, but if you will do it via a PC/streaming stick/TV app/browser then that's just as good.

Good job you aren't running the business then :lol:
I've said it before and I'm sure this won't be the last time, you're all over the place.

I genuinely don't know what you're arguing anymore. If you think MS are going to continue to operate at a loss for the whole generation, I've got a new batch of that snake oil for you.

Balljy

I've said it before and I'm sure this won't be the last time, you're all over the place.

I genuinely don't know what you're arguing anymore. If you think MS are going to continue to operate at a loss for the whole generation, I've got a new batch of that snake oil for you.
To be fair companies run at a loss for years now to build up userbase and then raise prices to get the profit. Amazon took almost a decade to make their first profit and Netflix made losses for years. Nowadays it's all about gaining the userbase with the intention of making profits afterwards.

It remains to be seen whether Microsoft will see that out though as I think they will have to accept going into the generation after this to let the base really grow.

Alock1

I don't want any snake oil but if you have some snail cake I'll take some.

MS are in growth mode. By the time they need to increase prices they will have a huge catalogue of first party. And after success of games like Outriders there will be third party pubs that are actively seeking for their game to be on gamepass (just like they might consider being f2p).

There's no point going over this again. It's pretty clear to everyone that prices may increase but it will be in line with original content and perceived value in order to retain the substantial subscription base they are building.

I'd already pay £15 per month for gamepass personally. I know that's be steep for a lot of people but for how me and my mates play it'd be well worth it.

But, that ain't coming any time soon. They're happy for people to have the next 2-3 years at like £2 per month. I'm sure they will cope at £11 pm for a fair while yet.

And yes, it could be a loss leader for a long time. You say these companies don't get to that position by doing this sort of thing. But actually, yes, they absolutely do.